Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Training Vehicles in Service

Training Vehicles in Service

Training Vehicles in Service

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mb134

20 Feb 2018, 5:08 pm #1
If a depot was ever short of vehicles, and the only available bus they had was a training vehicle, would they be able to press it into service? Or would it no longer be legally able to carry passengers?
mb134
20 Feb 2018, 5:08 pm #1

If a depot was ever short of vehicles, and the only available bus they had was a training vehicle, would they be able to press it into service? Or would it no longer be legally able to carry passengers?

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm #2
(20 Feb 2018, 5:08 pm)mb134 If a depot was ever short of vehicles, and the only available bus they had was a training vehicle, would they be able to press it into service? Or would it no longer be legally able to carry passengers?

Depends on the type of training vehicle and what sort of modifications they've had done.

Go North East's Scania L94s for example couldn't be used - they've been fitted with an additional handbrake, an instructor's seat, and two coach seats for passengers (as well as tables on some of them). This means that they undergo a different type of MOT test (Class 5).

The white coaches in the Training Fleet haven't had any of these modifications done, so still see regular use on Private Hires etc.
Dan
20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm #2

(20 Feb 2018, 5:08 pm)mb134 If a depot was ever short of vehicles, and the only available bus they had was a training vehicle, would they be able to press it into service? Or would it no longer be legally able to carry passengers?

Depends on the type of training vehicle and what sort of modifications they've had done.

Go North East's Scania L94s for example couldn't be used - they've been fitted with an additional handbrake, an instructor's seat, and two coach seats for passengers (as well as tables on some of them). This means that they undergo a different type of MOT test (Class 5).

The white coaches in the Training Fleet haven't had any of these modifications done, so still see regular use on Private Hires etc.

20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm #3
Go-Ahead London use theirs on private hire/rail replacement, as the DTV equipment can be easily removed, presumably set up for that.

However, at a company such as Arriva, ticket machine apparatus and assault screens would have been removed, in some cases, destination displays too. Also, I believe the mentor seating isn't removable either.

I'd say the answer would be no, and a vehicle would be loaned from another depot.
omnicity4659
20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm #3

Go-Ahead London use theirs on private hire/rail replacement, as the DTV equipment can be easily removed, presumably set up for that.

However, at a company such as Arriva, ticket machine apparatus and assault screens would have been removed, in some cases, destination displays too. Also, I believe the mentor seating isn't removable either.

I'd say the answer would be no, and a vehicle would be loaned from another depot.

mb134

20 Feb 2018, 8:58 pm #4
(20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm)Dan Depends on the type of training vehicle and what sort of modifications they've had done.

(20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm)omnicity4659 Go-Ahead London use theirs on private hire/rail replacement, as the DTV equipment can be easily removed, presumably set up for that.

Cheers both.
mb134
20 Feb 2018, 8:58 pm #4

(20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm)Dan Depends on the type of training vehicle and what sort of modifications they've had done.

(20 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm)omnicity4659 Go-Ahead London use theirs on private hire/rail replacement, as the DTV equipment can be easily removed, presumably set up for that.

Cheers both.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average