Festival of Transport 2019

Festival of Transport 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

13 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm #1

A.K.A. Bus in a Field

.jpg
FOT.JPG
Size: 180.16 KB / Downloads: 26

To be fair, 1723 and 669 were also in attendance on the free bus rides but still, three buses a festival does not make!  Hopefully tomorrow will see a few more turnout!

stagecoachbusdepot
13 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm #1

A.K.A. Bus in a Field

.jpg
FOT.JPG
Size: 180.16 KB / Downloads: 26

To be fair, 1723 and 669 were also in attendance on the free bus rides but still, three buses a festival does not make!  Hopefully tomorrow will see a few more turnout!

busmanT

13 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm #2

W

(13 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm)stagecoachbusdepot

A.K.A. Bus in a Field

To be fair the website does say that today is a “family fun day with a limited number of vehicles on display”

busmanT
13 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm #2

W

(13 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm)stagecoachbusdepot

A.K.A. Bus in a Field

To be fair the website does say that today is a “family fun day with a limited number of vehicles on display”

BusLoverMum

13 Jul 2019, 8:41 pm #3

(13 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm)busmanT

W

Yep. That's why we're going tomorrow! Hopefully we'll have the same fine weather for it as we were forecast today. Only without all the rain.

BusLoverMum
13 Jul 2019, 8:41 pm #3

W

Yep. That's why we're going tomorrow! Hopefully we'll have the same fine weather for it as we were forecast today. Only without all the rain.

Adrian

13 Jul 2019, 9:44 pm #4

W

Its not much of a festival of transport though, with no transport there? Family fun day or not...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Jul 2019, 9:44 pm #4

W

Its not much of a festival of transport though, with no transport there? Family fun day or not...

MurdnunoC

14 Jul 2019, 9:32 am #5

W

Limited number of vehicles on display, perhaps, but what sort of "Family Fun" was on offer to make it a fun day out? Looks pretty grim by even the standard of rally we have in our region.

MurdnunoC
14 Jul 2019, 9:32 am #5

W

Limited number of vehicles on display, perhaps, but what sort of "Family Fun" was on offer to make it a fun day out? Looks pretty grim by even the standard of rally we have in our region.

Adrian

14 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm #6

With Sunday sounding a lot more promising than the Saturday, I thought I would pay the extra for a day rover and have a slight detour along to Seaburn. Here's how it turned out:

This is a panoramic view from the vehicle entrance at the top right corner of the field.

This is another panoramic view, this time from the middle of the footpath, which runs down the left hand side of the field.

This is the entirety of the bus display, aside from one vehicle at the far side of the field alone (who knows why??!) and two others out on shuttle...

There were only a handful of people inside. I'd have a rough guess at less than 20, if you discount the people who have turned up as families with their vintage cars on show. There was about 20 cars there, but quite heavily dominated by 90s stuff.

In contrast, there were 3x as many cars turning up at the Coxhoe classic car evening a few weeks ago, and that included Ferraris and Lamborghinis...

It was advertised £2 in for the event, but the table by the entrance was empty, allowing people to just walk straight in. There were four stewards stood by the bottom gate, and nobody by the west vehicle gate.

Review of the day: 2/10, and that is only because its glorious sunshine and I got in for nowt, which makes up for the extra I spent on a Day Rover.

This is now the third event of the North East Festival of Transport, which when launching the idea in 2017, stated: "The event is aiming to fulfil a long held wish of transport enthusiasts in the region to create a major showcase event, similar to those held in some other part of the country."

And that: "Interest among vintage vehicle owners is already high with hundreds of vehicles expected on the large and easily accessible show fields, within sight of Sunderland’s Blue Flag award winning beaches."

So what has happened? Has the long held wish been fulfilled?

Adrian
14 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm #6

With Sunday sounding a lot more promising than the Saturday, I thought I would pay the extra for a day rover and have a slight detour along to Seaburn. Here's how it turned out:

This is a panoramic view from the vehicle entrance at the top right corner of the field.

This is another panoramic view, this time from the middle of the footpath, which runs down the left hand side of the field.

This is the entirety of the bus display, aside from one vehicle at the far side of the field alone (who knows why??!) and two others out on shuttle...

There were only a handful of people inside. I'd have a rough guess at less than 20, if you discount the people who have turned up as families with their vintage cars on show. There was about 20 cars there, but quite heavily dominated by 90s stuff.

In contrast, there were 3x as many cars turning up at the Coxhoe classic car evening a few weeks ago, and that included Ferraris and Lamborghinis...

It was advertised £2 in for the event, but the table by the entrance was empty, allowing people to just walk straight in. There were four stewards stood by the bottom gate, and nobody by the west vehicle gate.

Review of the day: 2/10, and that is only because its glorious sunshine and I got in for nowt, which makes up for the extra I spent on a Day Rover.

This is now the third event of the North East Festival of Transport, which when launching the idea in 2017, stated: "The event is aiming to fulfil a long held wish of transport enthusiasts in the region to create a major showcase event, similar to those held in some other part of the country."

And that: "Interest among vintage vehicle owners is already high with hundreds of vehicles expected on the large and easily accessible show fields, within sight of Sunderland’s Blue Flag award winning beaches."

MurdnunoC

14 Jul 2019, 8:18 pm #7

I think what I find more worrying is even the most die-hard and committed enthusiasts are now finding that they have better things to do rather than attending these events (and I don't blame them). The future of rallies in the north-east seems rather bleak if you ask me.

MurdnunoC
14 Jul 2019, 8:18 pm #7

I think what I find more worrying is even the most die-hard and committed enthusiasts are now finding that they have better things to do rather than attending these events (and I don't blame them). The future of rallies in the north-east seems rather bleak if you ask me.

14 Jul 2019, 9:24 pm #8

(14 Jul 2019, 8:18 pm)MurdnunoC

Certainly wouldn't recommend this one to anyone - either day.  I was amazed to see (admittedly hardly any) people paying to get into the field to see the 'display' today.  I counted a grand total of 8 vehicles, only 3 of which weren't from NEBPTs own stock.  Aside from the obvious limitation of the lack of buses, there also appeared to be relatively few cars/other vehicles and very few of those looked to be especially 'vintage'.  There was also a dearth of stalls from what I could see.  All in all this didn't leave much to do in between the shuttles - which were only once an hour.  The ones I sampled had good loadings, close to capacity on some, and it was a shame they weren't more frequent (though that would have left the field even emptier!).  The Festival of Transport has never been particularly well attended, but this year was the worst by a long way, by exhbitors and visitors alike.  I hope it doesn't impact negatively on the viability of the August Bank Holiday Seaburn rally which was always great - always seemed odd to have two in the same place so close together, and moving this earlier in the calendar seems to have done nothing to help. A real disappointment.

stagecoachbusdepot
14 Jul 2019, 9:24 pm #8

(14 Jul 2019, 8:18 pm)MurdnunoC

Certainly wouldn't recommend this one to anyone - either day.  I was amazed to see (admittedly hardly any) people paying to get into the field to see the 'display' today.  I counted a grand total of 8 vehicles, only 3 of which weren't from NEBPTs own stock.  Aside from the obvious limitation of the lack of buses, there also appeared to be relatively few cars/other vehicles and very few of those looked to be especially 'vintage'.  There was also a dearth of stalls from what I could see.  All in all this didn't leave much to do in between the shuttles - which were only once an hour.  The ones I sampled had good loadings, close to capacity on some, and it was a shame they weren't more frequent (though that would have left the field even emptier!).  The Festival of Transport has never been particularly well attended, but this year was the worst by a long way, by exhbitors and visitors alike.  I hope it doesn't impact negatively on the viability of the August Bank Holiday Seaburn rally which was always great - always seemed odd to have two in the same place so close together, and moving this earlier in the calendar seems to have done nothing to help. A real disappointment.

BusLoverMum

14 Jul 2019, 9:43 pm #9

(14 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm)Adrian

What time were you there? We didn't arrive until about 1:45 and there were a good 40-50 cars there. And an aeroplane. On a smaller field, it would have looked like a decent turnout, even though some of the cars were stretching the definition of vintage, somewhat. The couple of MG midgets were in much better nick than the rust heaps in my dad's back garden!

That said, I was expecting more, even if buses weren't the main focus. The EYTCC organises some massive events. We attended one at Sewerby hall, a few years ago and, with the zoo there for the kids, we passed a good few hours.

(14 Jul 2019, 9:24 pm)stagecoachbusdepot

By the time we found out when the shuttles were running, the very full 2pm open topper was just setting off. By 3pm, we were on the 78 to Chester le street! No way were we going to kill an hour.

Edited 14 Jul 2019, 9:47 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
14 Jul 2019, 9:43 pm #9

(14 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm)Adrian

What time were you there? We didn't arrive until about 1:45 and there were a good 40-50 cars there. And an aeroplane. On a smaller field, it would have looked like a decent turnout, even though some of the cars were stretching the definition of vintage, somewhat. The couple of MG midgets were in much better nick than the rust heaps in my dad's back garden!

That said, I was expecting more, even if buses weren't the main focus. The EYTCC organises some massive events. We attended one at Sewerby hall, a few years ago and, with the zoo there for the kids, we passed a good few hours.

(14 Jul 2019, 9:24 pm)stagecoachbusdepot

By the time we found out when the shuttles were running, the very full 2pm open topper was just setting off. By 3pm, we were on the 78 to Chester le street! No way were we going to kill an hour.

busmanT

14 Jul 2019, 11:12 pm #10
There was also the 50s event at Beamish this weekend, and the Steam Fair at Chester-le-Street = too many similar events in a small area.
busmanT
14 Jul 2019, 11:12 pm #10

There was also the 50s event at Beamish this weekend, and the Steam Fair at Chester-le-Street = too many similar events in a small area.

Charles41

16 Jul 2019, 9:36 am #11
Typical problems here in terms of poor planning, organisation and lack of communication. Durham rally this year was the quietest I had ever seen it. Most enthusiasts now seem to be voting with their feet and just giving NEBPT rallies a miss. This is a shame but it is to be expected. I did not visit Whitley Bay this year or the Festival of Transport. I'm not prepared to waste time and money visiting rallies which are poorly managed and poorly attended.
Charles41
16 Jul 2019, 9:36 am #11

Typical problems here in terms of poor planning, organisation and lack of communication. Durham rally this year was the quietest I had ever seen it. Most enthusiasts now seem to be voting with their feet and just giving NEBPT rallies a miss. This is a shame but it is to be expected. I did not visit Whitley Bay this year or the Festival of Transport. I'm not prepared to waste time and money visiting rallies which are poorly managed and poorly attended.

Adrian

16 Jul 2019, 11:29 am #12

(16 Jul 2019, 9:36 am)Charles41 Typical problems here in terms of poor planning, organisation and lack of communication. Durham rally this year was the quietest I had ever seen it. Most enthusiasts now seem to be voting with their feet and just giving NEBPT rallies a miss. This is a shame but it is to be expected. I did not visit Whitley Bay this year or the Festival of Transport. I'm not prepared to waste time and money visiting rallies which are poorly managed and poorly attended.

Agreed, and people have said it time and time again on this forum.

This event is supposedly our showcase event of the North East, and I didnt see more than a couple of Facebook posts advertising it. It's just not good enough really, and reminds me why I dont bother with events up here anymore. I exclude the 500 Group Day from that, but its chalk and cheese in terms of organisation.

Adrian
16 Jul 2019, 11:29 am #12

(16 Jul 2019, 9:36 am)Charles41 Typical problems here in terms of poor planning, organisation and lack of communication. Durham rally this year was the quietest I had ever seen it. Most enthusiasts now seem to be voting with their feet and just giving NEBPT rallies a miss. This is a shame but it is to be expected. I did not visit Whitley Bay this year or the Festival of Transport. I'm not prepared to waste time and money visiting rallies which are poorly managed and poorly attended.

Agreed, and people have said it time and time again on this forum.

This event is supposedly our showcase event of the North East, and I didnt see more than a couple of Facebook posts advertising it. It's just not good enough really, and reminds me why I dont bother with events up here anymore. I exclude the 500 Group Day from that, but its chalk and cheese in terms of organisation.

Adrian

16 Jul 2019, 7:30 pm #13
Some final thoughts from me on the event, now that I've had time to sit and write about it properly: https://durhamtobeyond.wordpress.com/201...ur-region/

Adrian
16 Jul 2019, 7:30 pm #13

Some final thoughts from me on the event, now that I've had time to sit and write about it properly: https://durhamtobeyond.wordpress.com/201...ur-region/

20 Jul 2019, 7:01 am #14
The main problem that the NNRG found this year was that the event had been moved to another date. This clashed with peoples work schedules. This we could not attend.

Its a huge shame to be honest. The first year was a real good event with lots of people attending. Last year also was good.
I am going to talk with the organisers of this event and see if we can get the event on the same date each year. That will be a start so people who want to enter something know what the date will be. Then the organising needs to be looked at. There was a incident last year between one of our group and a rather rude Marshal but this had no bearing on us not attending.

Then the biggest one of all. Advertising. Not one ad was in Bus and Coach Preservation or any of the other magazines out. Nothing in the local press either. That is the first thing that need to be done. Advertise 2 months before the event. Also if you know people who own something that would fit the bill in going ask them to attend.

I say we give it a go next year.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
20 Jul 2019, 7:01 am #14

The main problem that the NNRG found this year was that the event had been moved to another date. This clashed with peoples work schedules. This we could not attend.

Its a huge shame to be honest. The first year was a real good event with lots of people attending. Last year also was good.
I am going to talk with the organisers of this event and see if we can get the event on the same date each year. That will be a start so people who want to enter something know what the date will be. Then the organising needs to be looked at. There was a incident last year between one of our group and a rather rude Marshal but this had no bearing on us not attending.

Then the biggest one of all. Advertising. Not one ad was in Bus and Coach Preservation or any of the other magazines out. Nothing in the local press either. That is the first thing that need to be done. Advertise 2 months before the event. Also if you know people who own something that would fit the bill in going ask them to attend.

I say we give it a go next year.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average