Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Law on Football Supporter buses

Law on Football Supporter buses

Law on Football Supporter buses

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

L469 YVK

05 Sep 2019, 7:07 pm #1

I'm part of a supporters group and looking at a potential loophole in the law regarding the consumption of alcohol based on the EU vs Domestic driving rules.

If a coach was chartered for 2x separate journeys with supporters buying 2x separate tickets, would it be legal to consume alcohol during the 1st leg of the journey?

Example using away game against Liverpool or Everton.........

Journey 1:

- Newcastle to a services in Greater Manchester

* Coach hire not travelling to 'designated sporting event'

Journey 2:

- Services in Greater Manchester to Anfield or Goodison Park

* Coach hire travelling to 'designated sporting event'

L469 YVK
05 Sep 2019, 7:07 pm #1

I'm part of a supporters group and looking at a potential loophole in the law regarding the consumption of alcohol based on the EU vs Domestic driving rules.

If a coach was chartered for 2x separate journeys with supporters buying 2x separate tickets, would it be legal to consume alcohol during the 1st leg of the journey?

Journey 1:

Journey 2:

05 Sep 2019, 8:01 pm #2
If same coach / same driver and therefore same tacograph chart I think you'd have a job explaining it to a police officer or vosa official.
Tyne_Traveller
05 Sep 2019, 8:01 pm #2

If same coach / same driver and therefore same tacograph chart I think you'd have a job explaining it to a police officer or vosa official.

Jamie M

Unregistered

05 Sep 2019, 8:47 pm #3
Domestic driving rules would not apply in either, as it's not a registered service. Would have to follow whatever EU rules there are on the matter.
Jamie M
05 Sep 2019, 8:47 pm #3

Domestic driving rules would not apply in either, as it's not a registered service. Would have to follow whatever EU rules there are on the matter.

busmanT

05 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm #4

(05 Sep 2019, 7:07 pm)L469 YVK

Journey 1:

Journey 2:

I think the police and the Traffic Commissioner would take a very dim view of this, penalties for the operator and likely for the organiser of the trip.

"PSV operators are reminded of the terms of section 1(1) of the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol) Act 1985, as amended by the Public Order Act 1986, which prohibits the carriage of alcohol on a PSV that is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event"

busmanT
05 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm #4

(05 Sep 2019, 7:07 pm)L469 YVK

Journey 1:

Journey 2:

I think the police and the Traffic Commissioner would take a very dim view of this, penalties for the operator and likely for the organiser of the trip.

"PSV operators are reminded of the terms of section 1(1) of the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol) Act 1985, as amended by the Public Order Act 1986, which prohibits the carriage of alcohol on a PSV that is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event"

L469 YVK

06 Sep 2019, 5:27 am #5

(05 Sep 2019, 8:47 pm)Jamie M Domestic driving rules would not apply in either, as it's not a registered service. Would have to follow whatever EU rules there are on the matter.

I know what you mean there, obviously the coach would operate on tachograph rules.

L469 YVK
06 Sep 2019, 5:27 am #5

(05 Sep 2019, 8:47 pm)Jamie M Domestic driving rules would not apply in either, as it's not a registered service. Would have to follow whatever EU rules there are on the matter.

I know what you mean there, obviously the coach would operate on tachograph rules.

L469 YVK

07 Sep 2019, 2:12 am #6

(05 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm)busmanT

I see what you mean. But would 'part' also include a split hire (2x journeys in each direction) using the same driver & coach?

From what I can see, 'part' would be for example a coach driver on one booking (not 2x split bookings) allowing supporters to drink to lets say Watford services then telling them to remove the booze before entering London if away to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

L469 YVK
07 Sep 2019, 2:12 am #6

(05 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm)busmanT

I see what you mean. But would 'part' also include a split hire (2x journeys in each direction) using the same driver & coach?

From what I can see, 'part' would be for example a coach driver on one booking (not 2x split bookings) allowing supporters to drink to lets say Watford services then telling them to remove the booze before entering London if away to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

08 Sep 2019, 4:11 pm #7
"Part" could be taken as meaning for onward travel (ie train station or Airport) with the ultimate intended destination being a football match.

However you word or interpret it, I'm sure no professional coach operator would wish to take on such work and undermine their business.

Maybe you could contact one and ask their advice.
Tyne_Traveller
08 Sep 2019, 4:11 pm #7

"Part" could be taken as meaning for onward travel (ie train station or Airport) with the ultimate intended destination being a football match.

However you word or interpret it, I'm sure no professional coach operator would wish to take on such work and undermine their business.

Maybe you could contact one and ask their advice.

Chris 1

10 Sep 2019, 11:17 am #8
There was a case in the Route-One legal pages a couple of week back about something similar. Think it was a Liverpool fans coach. I'm sure the TM lost their repute.
Chris 1
10 Sep 2019, 11:17 am #8

There was a case in the Route-One legal pages a couple of week back about something similar. Think it was a Liverpool fans coach. I'm sure the TM lost their repute.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average