Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Franchising - Good/Bad

Franchising - Good/Bad

Franchising - Good/Bad

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
cbma06

29 Jun 2020, 12:25 pm #21
Don’t forget all these retail parks that have opened up got the consent and approval by the local councils which in turn made town centres into ghost towns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
29 Jun 2020, 12:25 pm #21

Don’t forget all these retail parks that have opened up got the consent and approval by the local councils which in turn made town centres into ghost towns.

Big O

29 Jun 2020, 6:16 pm #22
(26 Jun 2020, 5:27 pm)S830OFT You get the likes of Central Taxis who's whole bus operation is based on contracts from both Nexus and Tesco. Each time they gain a range of contracts, the investment goes in for brand new buses. Maybe they don't have all the nice tech the big three have on their buses, but they offer a service that gets people to their destination.

Sometime later down the line if budgets are squeezed any further, I wonder if the big three operators will put their heads together and think adding the likes of Tables and nice seats isn't really worth the hassle when most passengers will still travel with them regardless. I agree Wi-Fi and USB Charging Points are essential for the majority of passengers, however I think most people will more than happily go without if it means they can have a bus service still running...

Brand new glorified vans maybe...the seats are uncomfortable, the ride is terrible and they're greenhouses in the summer and freezers in the winter. Why should people be attracted to this type of budget service? Bus routes should run with buses. Nexus should be overlooking the vehicle procurement process to prevent this from happening. The number of passengers I've seen baffled that this little grey thing is their service into town is beyond a joke.  It doesn't look professional at all and the lack of contactless payments shows that whoever is authorising these services hasn't got a clue about customer experience.
Big O
29 Jun 2020, 6:16 pm #22

(26 Jun 2020, 5:27 pm)S830OFT You get the likes of Central Taxis who's whole bus operation is based on contracts from both Nexus and Tesco. Each time they gain a range of contracts, the investment goes in for brand new buses. Maybe they don't have all the nice tech the big three have on their buses, but they offer a service that gets people to their destination.

Sometime later down the line if budgets are squeezed any further, I wonder if the big three operators will put their heads together and think adding the likes of Tables and nice seats isn't really worth the hassle when most passengers will still travel with them regardless. I agree Wi-Fi and USB Charging Points are essential for the majority of passengers, however I think most people will more than happily go without if it means they can have a bus service still running...

Brand new glorified vans maybe...the seats are uncomfortable, the ride is terrible and they're greenhouses in the summer and freezers in the winter. Why should people be attracted to this type of budget service? Bus routes should run with buses. Nexus should be overlooking the vehicle procurement process to prevent this from happening. The number of passengers I've seen baffled that this little grey thing is their service into town is beyond a joke.  It doesn't look professional at all and the lack of contactless payments shows that whoever is authorising these services hasn't got a clue about customer experience.

Storx

29 Jun 2020, 9:23 pm #23
As much as the bus network is a mess up here, francising it would make it 100x worse and that's down to one thing - Nexus.

Nexus are clueless, everything they do goes overbudget or is delayed by stupid amounts of time (Tyne Tunnel anyone) or is a total stupid idea (full refurbishment of the life expired Metro trains, North Shields Metro station rebuild which still isn't finished as surprise surprise it went overbudget). They can barely run the Metro as it is right now and the quality of some of the buses on the current contracted bus services leaves a lot to be desired. I've also heard the management is a lot to be desired aswell; at least the local bus companies aren't constantly on strike for whatever reason.

Wouldn't want them anywhere near the rest of the network.
Storx
29 Jun 2020, 9:23 pm #23

As much as the bus network is a mess up here, francising it would make it 100x worse and that's down to one thing - Nexus.

Nexus are clueless, everything they do goes overbudget or is delayed by stupid amounts of time (Tyne Tunnel anyone) or is a total stupid idea (full refurbishment of the life expired Metro trains, North Shields Metro station rebuild which still isn't finished as surprise surprise it went overbudget). They can barely run the Metro as it is right now and the quality of some of the buses on the current contracted bus services leaves a lot to be desired. I've also heard the management is a lot to be desired aswell; at least the local bus companies aren't constantly on strike for whatever reason.

Wouldn't want them anywhere near the rest of the network.

Big O

30 Jun 2020, 12:08 am #24
I count it robbery that the big three, especially GNE who arguably is the best of the big three, lose out the subsidised services to companies such as the aforementioned who make no effort to improve the service or experience. Its a really bog-standard service which will eventually implode because people just don't want to use it. How much better would it be to see an actual bus on routes such as the 18 and 32 at night, people would notice it and I bet it would attract more users. One of the big flaws that are being reflected across the bus industry is a lack of knowledgable busmen. Not self-righteous enthusiasts, but individuals who have a passion for the industry, I see figures such as Martijn and Mr Hornby are among few of those making a difference but we really need more people who have the industry's interest at hand. Not accountants interested in a false economy but those who see the long term...

Sorry if I always make comparisons to Tfl but another reason why it works so well, is because each leader has actually been an enthusiast, not just one interested in the colour of a handrail or things of that sort but people who have both knowledge and passion, people like Leon Daniels...Nexus seems to have a ridiculous model and if they had people capable of carrying out proper reviews of the services, then they wouldn't need to award tenders to a dirt-cheap bidder in order to justify the running of a grossly unprofitable service.

I'd go as far as saying the 335 could be extended to Killingworth, replacing the K2.

Why not extend the M71 to West Denton Shops and create a short and direct link to Kingston Park from there. There's a lot of work that could be done.
Big O
30 Jun 2020, 12:08 am #24

I count it robbery that the big three, especially GNE who arguably is the best of the big three, lose out the subsidised services to companies such as the aforementioned who make no effort to improve the service or experience. Its a really bog-standard service which will eventually implode because people just don't want to use it. How much better would it be to see an actual bus on routes such as the 18 and 32 at night, people would notice it and I bet it would attract more users. One of the big flaws that are being reflected across the bus industry is a lack of knowledgable busmen. Not self-righteous enthusiasts, but individuals who have a passion for the industry, I see figures such as Martijn and Mr Hornby are among few of those making a difference but we really need more people who have the industry's interest at hand. Not accountants interested in a false economy but those who see the long term...

Sorry if I always make comparisons to Tfl but another reason why it works so well, is because each leader has actually been an enthusiast, not just one interested in the colour of a handrail or things of that sort but people who have both knowledge and passion, people like Leon Daniels...Nexus seems to have a ridiculous model and if they had people capable of carrying out proper reviews of the services, then they wouldn't need to award tenders to a dirt-cheap bidder in order to justify the running of a grossly unprofitable service.

I'd go as far as saying the 335 could be extended to Killingworth, replacing the K2.

Why not extend the M71 to West Denton Shops and create a short and direct link to Kingston Park from there. There's a lot of work that could be done.

cbma06

30 Jun 2020, 11:35 am #25
(30 Jun 2020, 12:08 am)Big O I count it robbery that the big three, especially GNE who arguably is the best of the big three, lose out the subsidised services to companies such as the aforementioned who make no effort to improve the service or experience. Its a really bog-standard service which will eventually implode because people just don't want to use it. How much better would it be to see an actual bus on routes such as the 18 and 32 at night, people would notice it and I bet it would attract more users. One of the big flaws that are being reflected across the bus industry is a lack of knowledgable busmen. Not self-righteous enthusiasts, but individuals who have a passion for the industry, I see figures such as Martijn and Mr Hornby are among few of those making a difference but we really need more people who have the industry's interest at hand. Not accountants interested in a false economy but those who see the long term...

I count the robbery from the big 3 operators by using greed before passenger needs.

I don’t believe that the so called big three bus operators should be running secured contract bus services that were original ran by themselves and saying its not profitable to run using there own money.

Why should the local authorities have to scrape cash to run bus services that are not profitable, passenger anger should be towards the bus company that withdrew the services, bus companies shouldn’t be just taking the cream of the services, bus companies should be using some of the profit from daytime services to provide early morning, evenings, and Sunday’s to keep local communities a life line, instead of getting grants etc from the government to update there buses to the future tech

cbma06
30 Jun 2020, 11:35 am #25

(30 Jun 2020, 12:08 am)Big O I count it robbery that the big three, especially GNE who arguably is the best of the big three, lose out the subsidised services to companies such as the aforementioned who make no effort to improve the service or experience. Its a really bog-standard service which will eventually implode because people just don't want to use it. How much better would it be to see an actual bus on routes such as the 18 and 32 at night, people would notice it and I bet it would attract more users. One of the big flaws that are being reflected across the bus industry is a lack of knowledgable busmen. Not self-righteous enthusiasts, but individuals who have a passion for the industry, I see figures such as Martijn and Mr Hornby are among few of those making a difference but we really need more people who have the industry's interest at hand. Not accountants interested in a false economy but those who see the long term...

I count the robbery from the big 3 operators by using greed before passenger needs.

I don’t believe that the so called big three bus operators should be running secured contract bus services that were original ran by themselves and saying its not profitable to run using there own money.

Why should the local authorities have to scrape cash to run bus services that are not profitable, passenger anger should be towards the bus company that withdrew the services, bus companies shouldn’t be just taking the cream of the services, bus companies should be using some of the profit from daytime services to provide early morning, evenings, and Sunday’s to keep local communities a life line, instead of getting grants etc from the government to update there buses to the future tech

Big O

30 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm #26
(30 Jun 2020, 11:35 am)cbma06 I count the robbery from the big 3 operators by using greed before passenger needs.

Why should the local authorities  have to scrape cash to run bus services that are not profitable, passenger anger should be towards the bus company that withdrew the services, bus companies shouldn’t be just taking the cream of the services, bus companies should be using some of the profit from daytime services to provide early morning, evenings, and Sunday’s to keep local communities a life line, instead of getting grants etc from the government to update there buses to the future tech

Well, some of those services are not much better, they're unprofessionally run with terrible terrible vehicles, buses often miss out sections of the route, the list goes on. I agree the big three should be using some of their profits to run routes at night, and maybe stepping away from high-spec buses to trim costs could help. But the fact still remains the stand in operator(s) are terrible and are not apt to run a service..
Big O
30 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm #26

(30 Jun 2020, 11:35 am)cbma06 I count the robbery from the big 3 operators by using greed before passenger needs.

Why should the local authorities  have to scrape cash to run bus services that are not profitable, passenger anger should be towards the bus company that withdrew the services, bus companies shouldn’t be just taking the cream of the services, bus companies should be using some of the profit from daytime services to provide early morning, evenings, and Sunday’s to keep local communities a life line, instead of getting grants etc from the government to update there buses to the future tech

Well, some of those services are not much better, they're unprofessionally run with terrible terrible vehicles, buses often miss out sections of the route, the list goes on. I agree the big three should be using some of their profits to run routes at night, and maybe stepping away from high-spec buses to trim costs could help. But the fact still remains the stand in operator(s) are terrible and are not apt to run a service..

cbma06

30 Jun 2020, 1:59 pm #27
(30 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm)Big O Well, some of those services are not much better, they're unprofessionally run with terrible terrible vehicles, buses often miss out sections of the route, the list goes on. I agree the big three should be using some of their profits to run routes at night, and maybe stepping away from high-spec buses to trim costs could help. But the fact still remains the stand in operator(s) are terrible and are not apt to run a service..

At least the independents are running the services otherwise there wouldn’t be a bus service, there must be doing something right otherwise there lose the contract and not gain more contracts, there’s always going to be niggles in the system when taking on the contract.

So you want the independents to close?, as most of them depends on contract work to stay alive or there be more job losses. The independents are only about 20-25 years behind
Dont forget years ago the big 3 were in the same boat with services not running, gaps in the schedule, uncleaned buses etc... , l can name a few from when OK was purchased and contracted services in East Durham area was missed out, drivers didn’t know the route and in turn buses were just parked up and drivers been told from control to do the best there can, when United/Arriva had more services in East Durham services weren’t running and gaps in services, in which Arriva is the worst out of the 3, Arriva (DB) should be stripped of there buses and sent packing back to Germany and the buses ran by the government until I proper Business set up by the UK, don’t forget every bit of profit Arriva makes don’t go back into the there company in the UK, all profits go to there own country to update there transport infrastructure and then get grants from the uk government to improve there bus services like what there did with the train service, the northern train service is going to take years to sort the mess out what Arriva caused.
Im just hoping the UK don’t adopt the euro5/6 etc... from the EU, so buses can stay longer on the roads and made better like what there used to before the EU started to **** this country up.

cbma06
30 Jun 2020, 1:59 pm #27

(30 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm)Big O Well, some of those services are not much better, they're unprofessionally run with terrible terrible vehicles, buses often miss out sections of the route, the list goes on. I agree the big three should be using some of their profits to run routes at night, and maybe stepping away from high-spec buses to trim costs could help. But the fact still remains the stand in operator(s) are terrible and are not apt to run a service..

At least the independents are running the services otherwise there wouldn’t be a bus service, there must be doing something right otherwise there lose the contract and not gain more contracts, there’s always going to be niggles in the system when taking on the contract.

So you want the independents to close?, as most of them depends on contract work to stay alive or there be more job losses. The independents are only about 20-25 years behind
Dont forget years ago the big 3 were in the same boat with services not running, gaps in the schedule, uncleaned buses etc... , l can name a few from when OK was purchased and contracted services in East Durham area was missed out, drivers didn’t know the route and in turn buses were just parked up and drivers been told from control to do the best there can, when United/Arriva had more services in East Durham services weren’t running and gaps in services, in which Arriva is the worst out of the 3, Arriva (DB) should be stripped of there buses and sent packing back to Germany and the buses ran by the government until I proper Business set up by the UK, don’t forget every bit of profit Arriva makes don’t go back into the there company in the UK, all profits go to there own country to update there transport infrastructure and then get grants from the uk government to improve there bus services like what there did with the train service, the northern train service is going to take years to sort the mess out what Arriva caused.
Im just hoping the UK don’t adopt the euro5/6 etc... from the EU, so buses can stay longer on the roads and made better like what there used to before the EU started to **** this country up.

Storx

30 Jun 2020, 5:14 pm #28
(30 Jun 2020, 1:59 pm)cbma06 At least the independents are running the services otherwise there wouldn’t be a bus service, there must be doing something right otherwise there lose the contract and not gain more contracts, there’s always going to be niggles in the system when taking on the contract.

Dont  forget years ago the big 3 were in the same boat with services not running, gaps in the schedule, uncleaned buses etc... , l can name a few from when OK was purchased and contracted services in East Durham area was missed out, drivers didn’t know the route and in turn buses were just parked up and drivers been told from control to do the best there can, when United/Arriva had more services in East Durham services weren’t running  and gaps in services, in which Arriva is the worst out of the 3, Arriva (DB) should be stripped of there buses and sent packing back to Germany and the buses ran by the government until I proper Business set up by the UK, don’t forget every bit of profit  Arriva makes don’t go back into the there company in the UK, all profits go to there own country to update there transport infrastructure and then get grants from the uk government to improve there bus services like what there did with the train service, the northern train service is going to take years to sort the mess out what Arriva caused.

Using Arriva Northern trains as a reason to franchise things is a really horrid comparison. There was nothing Arriva could do with the mess that was Northern which was totally caused by the D(a)FT with the absolute farce of the Orstall Chord in Manchester, the absolute mess of recent tenderings (Virgin East Coast, Transpennine aswell), the delays of new trains and electrification in other areas of the country delaying the trains Northern were due and the requirement of DOO which caused the similar issues down in London with Govia. Arriva made a massive loss from that and didn't get out of it for nothing. The fact that Class 142 trains are still in service now sums up things haven't improved with lack of trains. Very harsh to blame that on Arriva as much as you clearly have an agenda against them.

If anything it's a reason not to franchise things.
Storx
30 Jun 2020, 5:14 pm #28

(30 Jun 2020, 1:59 pm)cbma06 At least the independents are running the services otherwise there wouldn’t be a bus service, there must be doing something right otherwise there lose the contract and not gain more contracts, there’s always going to be niggles in the system when taking on the contract.

Dont  forget years ago the big 3 were in the same boat with services not running, gaps in the schedule, uncleaned buses etc... , l can name a few from when OK was purchased and contracted services in East Durham area was missed out, drivers didn’t know the route and in turn buses were just parked up and drivers been told from control to do the best there can, when United/Arriva had more services in East Durham services weren’t running  and gaps in services, in which Arriva is the worst out of the 3, Arriva (DB) should be stripped of there buses and sent packing back to Germany and the buses ran by the government until I proper Business set up by the UK, don’t forget every bit of profit  Arriva makes don’t go back into the there company in the UK, all profits go to there own country to update there transport infrastructure and then get grants from the uk government to improve there bus services like what there did with the train service, the northern train service is going to take years to sort the mess out what Arriva caused.

Using Arriva Northern trains as a reason to franchise things is a really horrid comparison. There was nothing Arriva could do with the mess that was Northern which was totally caused by the D(a)FT with the absolute farce of the Orstall Chord in Manchester, the absolute mess of recent tenderings (Virgin East Coast, Transpennine aswell), the delays of new trains and electrification in other areas of the country delaying the trains Northern were due and the requirement of DOO which caused the similar issues down in London with Govia. Arriva made a massive loss from that and didn't get out of it for nothing. The fact that Class 142 trains are still in service now sums up things haven't improved with lack of trains. Very harsh to blame that on Arriva as much as you clearly have an agenda against them.

If anything it's a reason not to franchise things.

Big O

30 Jun 2020, 9:47 pm #29

I don't want the independents to close, I regard Stanley Travel as a very professionally run business, their vehicles look very smart but them losing the 84 and looking at what's on the 84 now (not interested in what the number plate says) it's a massive downgrade and that it is the general notion of things.
Big O
30 Jun 2020, 9:47 pm #29

I don't want the independents to close, I regard Stanley Travel as a very professionally run business, their vehicles look very smart but them losing the 84 and looking at what's on the 84 now (not interested in what the number plate says) it's a massive downgrade and that it is the general notion of things.

tyresmoke

01 Jul 2020, 10:37 am #30

Sounds very much like an agenda against Arriva to me. While they're not perfect they're better than some of the companies you seem to think are great.
Lets face it the independents running contracts aren't doing it out of the good of their heart, they're getting paid for it just like the so called 'big 3' (actually it could be argued there's 5 now) would if they held the contract.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
01 Jul 2020, 10:37 am #30

Sounds very much like an agenda against Arriva to me. While they're not perfect they're better than some of the companies you seem to think are great.
Lets face it the independents running contracts aren't doing it out of the good of their heart, they're getting paid for it just like the so called 'big 3' (actually it could be argued there's 5 now) would if they held the contract.

Andreos1

01 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm #31
(30 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm)Big O Well, some of those services are not much better, they're unprofessionally run with terrible terrible vehicles, buses often miss out sections of the route, the list goes on. I agree the big three should be using some of their profits to run routes at night, and maybe stepping away from high-spec buses to trim costs could help. But the fact still remains the stand in operator(s) are terrible and are not apt to run a service..

These independents aren't unique in missing out sections. Whether authorised by control for 'operational reasons' or not, I've more than one experience as a passenger of seeing one of the bigger boys miss sections of the route.

I'm not sure that would suddenly stop, should the bigger boys decide to operate these services commercially, rather than the taxpayer fund it. 
One positive of a contracted service not running or operating, is the potential for financial clawback. Would that be the case with say GNE and a commercial service?

What might be a 'terrible, terrible vehicle' to you or others, is a lifeline to those living on the route. Dunno about you, but I'd rather a 'terrible, terrible vehicle' rock up, than nothing at all.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm #31

(30 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm)Big O Well, some of those services are not much better, they're unprofessionally run with terrible terrible vehicles, buses often miss out sections of the route, the list goes on. I agree the big three should be using some of their profits to run routes at night, and maybe stepping away from high-spec buses to trim costs could help. But the fact still remains the stand in operator(s) are terrible and are not apt to run a service..

These independents aren't unique in missing out sections. Whether authorised by control for 'operational reasons' or not, I've more than one experience as a passenger of seeing one of the bigger boys miss sections of the route.

I'm not sure that would suddenly stop, should the bigger boys decide to operate these services commercially, rather than the taxpayer fund it. 
One positive of a contracted service not running or operating, is the potential for financial clawback. Would that be the case with say GNE and a commercial service?

What might be a 'terrible, terrible vehicle' to you or others, is a lifeline to those living on the route. Dunno about you, but I'd rather a 'terrible, terrible vehicle' rock up, than nothing at all.

tyresmoke

01 Jul 2020, 2:52 pm #32
(01 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 These independents aren't unique in missing out sections. Whether authorised by control for 'operational reasons' or not, I've more than one experience as a passenger of seeing one of the bigger boys miss sections of the route.

Some of the people on this forum would die if they knew all of what went on with services. There was several times in my previous job we just didn't run "registered services" as there was no demand or missed sections of route out. I know because I did it myself! We've all done it at big companies too... one memorable one for me was Christmas Eve and finishing my last trip 15 minutes early... carried nobody of course.

tyresmoke
01 Jul 2020, 2:52 pm #32

(01 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 These independents aren't unique in missing out sections. Whether authorised by control for 'operational reasons' or not, I've more than one experience as a passenger of seeing one of the bigger boys miss sections of the route.

Some of the people on this forum would die if they knew all of what went on with services. There was several times in my previous job we just didn't run "registered services" as there was no demand or missed sections of route out. I know because I did it myself! We've all done it at big companies too... one memorable one for me was Christmas Eve and finishing my last trip 15 minutes early... carried nobody of course.

Big O

01 Jul 2020, 7:43 pm #33

A lifeline they still pay for...It's not free even if it is advertised as free. You pay somehow whether through council tax or whatever other means. If it were free then you couldn't complain.

With regards to me, when waiting at a bus stop, I'd like a bus to show up to run the bus route. Not a greenhouse or freezer dependent on the season. 

I do like the tendered services, coming from London I prefer that model, but if the contracted company isn't all that great and make a decent return which doesn't seem to be reinvested into the business, then why not stop awarding them these services. As I said Stanley Travel look like a fantastic company with a very professional image, I would love it if they had the majority of the tendered services. Another is A-Line. I'm all for the small firms if they actually do as they're supposed to.
Big O
01 Jul 2020, 7:43 pm #33

A lifeline they still pay for...It's not free even if it is advertised as free. You pay somehow whether through council tax or whatever other means. If it were free then you couldn't complain.

With regards to me, when waiting at a bus stop, I'd like a bus to show up to run the bus route. Not a greenhouse or freezer dependent on the season. 

I do like the tendered services, coming from London I prefer that model, but if the contracted company isn't all that great and make a decent return which doesn't seem to be reinvested into the business, then why not stop awarding them these services. As I said Stanley Travel look like a fantastic company with a very professional image, I would love it if they had the majority of the tendered services. Another is A-Line. I'm all for the small firms if they actually do as they're supposed to.

James101

01 Jul 2020, 8:43 pm #34

Indeed, I'm sure some folk on Teesside would be grateful for a horse and cart if it meant they could get any subsidised routes at all back
James101
01 Jul 2020, 8:43 pm #34

Indeed, I'm sure some folk on Teesside would be grateful for a horse and cart if it meant they could get any subsidised routes at all back

Andreos1

02 Jul 2020, 10:19 am #35
(01 Jul 2020, 7:43 pm)Big O A lifeline they still pay for...It's not free even if it is advertised as free. You pay somehow whether through council tax or whatever other means. If it were free then you couldn't complain.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'free'.

The greenhouse/freezer situation you describe isn't unique to these independents, just as missing out sections of the route isn't.

Streetlites aren't my favourite vehicles and they're often like greenhouses in the summer. The need to add an extra opening window to a batch post-delivery emphasises the design-flaw of them. The pleather seats aren't comfortable during the hot weather and can be just as uncomfortable in the colder months. 
Does that mean they're not suitable, like the vehicles you mention? 
Sitting towards the rear of the downstairs saloon on a B9 is painful in the warm weather due to the heat thrown out by the engine. Sitting above the driver in the winter is horrendous due to the whistling and wind blowing through. Does that mean they're not suitable?

Andreos1
02 Jul 2020, 10:19 am #35

(01 Jul 2020, 7:43 pm)Big O A lifeline they still pay for...It's not free even if it is advertised as free. You pay somehow whether through council tax or whatever other means. If it were free then you couldn't complain.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'free'.

The greenhouse/freezer situation you describe isn't unique to these independents, just as missing out sections of the route isn't.

Streetlites aren't my favourite vehicles and they're often like greenhouses in the summer. The need to add an extra opening window to a batch post-delivery emphasises the design-flaw of them. The pleather seats aren't comfortable during the hot weather and can be just as uncomfortable in the colder months. 
Sitting towards the rear of the downstairs saloon on a B9 is painful in the warm weather due to the heat thrown out by the engine. Sitting above the driver in the winter is horrendous due to the whistling and wind blowing through. Does that mean they're not suitable?

Big O

03 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm #36
(02 Jul 2020, 10:19 am)Andreos1 I'm not sure what you mean by 'free'.

On the other vehicles, there is climate control or effective ventilation to a degree. I know what it's like downstairs on a B9 due to the heat thrown out on the engine, but you have the ability to move around if you find it unbearable. Likewise, with sitting on top of the driver, you can move around, there is plenty of space too. Where do you move to on one of those Mellors, you move from one uncomfortable seat to another. 

The E-leather seats on the Streelites are operator spec, so not quite sure where you're going with that one...

There is no denying it, those Mellors are absolutely rubbish, they're a cheap and nasty way of running a service with no incentive for the passenger. The opening windows are of little effect due to their design, they have awful ride quality, the seats specified show there is no thought process there, the pitch of the seats and space between them shows off how poor a design they are; its either they're not meant to have that many seats in them or they're all just incorrectly fitted.
Big O
03 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm #36

(02 Jul 2020, 10:19 am)Andreos1 I'm not sure what you mean by 'free'.

On the other vehicles, there is climate control or effective ventilation to a degree. I know what it's like downstairs on a B9 due to the heat thrown out on the engine, but you have the ability to move around if you find it unbearable. Likewise, with sitting on top of the driver, you can move around, there is plenty of space too. Where do you move to on one of those Mellors, you move from one uncomfortable seat to another. 

The E-leather seats on the Streelites are operator spec, so not quite sure where you're going with that one...

There is no denying it, those Mellors are absolutely rubbish, they're a cheap and nasty way of running a service with no incentive for the passenger. The opening windows are of little effect due to their design, they have awful ride quality, the seats specified show there is no thought process there, the pitch of the seats and space between them shows off how poor a design they are; its either they're not meant to have that many seats in them or they're all just incorrectly fitted.

Andreos1

06 Jul 2020, 3:09 pm #37
(03 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm)Big O On the other vehicles, there is climate control or effective ventilation to a degree. I know what it's like downstairs on a B9 due to the heat thrown out on the engine, but you have the ability to move around if you find it unbearable. Likewise, with sitting on top of the driver, you can move around, there is plenty of space too. Where do you move to on one of those Mellors, you move from one uncomfortable seat to another. 

If they're incorrectly fitted or there's too many seats in, then I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up on any DVSA checks.
I'm not 100% sure if Mellor meet NSSTA requirements or not, but again I would have thought the seating arrangements would have been checked at some point.

As I said previously, a bus (regardless of type or size) is better than no bus - particularly when the big boys don't see enough profit in it.
Just look at Hartlepool. I'd guess they would be over the moon to see one of these Mellor's rock up on an evening than the buses they have on an evening currently...

Andreos1
06 Jul 2020, 3:09 pm #37

(03 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm)Big O On the other vehicles, there is climate control or effective ventilation to a degree. I know what it's like downstairs on a B9 due to the heat thrown out on the engine, but you have the ability to move around if you find it unbearable. Likewise, with sitting on top of the driver, you can move around, there is plenty of space too. Where do you move to on one of those Mellors, you move from one uncomfortable seat to another. 

If they're incorrectly fitted or there's too many seats in, then I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up on any DVSA checks.
I'm not 100% sure if Mellor meet NSSTA requirements or not, but again I would have thought the seating arrangements would have been checked at some point.

As I said previously, a bus (regardless of type or size) is better than no bus - particularly when the big boys don't see enough profit in it.
Just look at Hartlepool. I'd guess they would be over the moon to see one of these Mellor's rock up on an evening than the buses they have on an evening currently...

Storx

06 Jul 2020, 6:02 pm #38
(06 Jul 2020, 3:09 pm)Andreos1 If they're incorrectly fitted or there's too many seats in, then I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up on any DVSA checks.

I haven't been on those Mellor's but they really remind of a modern version of the Vario's Arriva used to have which used to be erm interesting as an understatement. Surely they can't be 'that' bad.
Storx
06 Jul 2020, 6:02 pm #38

(06 Jul 2020, 3:09 pm)Andreos1 If they're incorrectly fitted or there's too many seats in, then I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up on any DVSA checks.

I haven't been on those Mellor's but they really remind of a modern version of the Vario's Arriva used to have which used to be erm interesting as an understatement. Surely they can't be 'that' bad.

Andreos1

06 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm #39
(06 Jul 2020, 6:02 pm)Storx I haven't been on those Mellor's but they really remind of a modern version of the Vario's Arriva used to have which used to be erm interesting as an understatement. Surely they can't be 'that' bad.

I can't remember using the Vario to be honest.
However, like the Tucana - the Strata does its job. It fills a gap that would otherwise be left.
If the Tucana was good enough for TFL...

Andreos1
06 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm #39

(06 Jul 2020, 6:02 pm)Storx I haven't been on those Mellor's but they really remind of a modern version of the Vario's Arriva used to have which used to be erm interesting as an understatement. Surely they can't be 'that' bad.

I can't remember using the Vario to be honest.
However, like the Tucana - the Strata does its job. It fills a gap that would otherwise be left.

Storx

06 Jul 2020, 8:26 pm #40
(06 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm)Andreos1 I can't remember using the Vario to be honest.

Ah that was in reference to a Vario the 'that bad' - horrendous little things. Had absolutly nothing in them but everything that was there rattled. Not to mention the absolutely horrendous ride almost like being on a bouncy castle (literally). That said they did have some character which can't be said about most buses nowadays which are just dull.
Storx
06 Jul 2020, 8:26 pm #40

(06 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm)Andreos1 I can't remember using the Vario to be honest.

Ah that was in reference to a Vario the 'that bad' - horrendous little things. Had absolutly nothing in them but everything that was there rattled. Not to mention the absolutely horrendous ride almost like being on a bouncy castle (literally). That said they did have some character which can't be said about most buses nowadays which are just dull.

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average