Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Gosforth Single Lane Traffic

Gosforth Single Lane Traffic

Gosforth Single Lane Traffic

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
mb134

28 Aug 2020, 1:21 pm #1
Newcastle City Council, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that it's a fantastic idea to make Gosforth single file. Virtually everything bus wise is therefore running late, which is only likely to worsen when schools return and more people return to work.
mb134
28 Aug 2020, 1:21 pm #1

Newcastle City Council, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that it's a fantastic idea to make Gosforth single file. Virtually everything bus wise is therefore running late, which is only likely to worsen when schools return and more people return to work.

idiot

28 Aug 2020, 1:52 pm #2
Why have they done it?!
idiot
28 Aug 2020, 1:52 pm #2

Why have they done it?!

Rob44

28 Aug 2020, 2:17 pm #3
its for social distancing. they've taken a lane out to make footpath wider. been done in other areas including Newcastle city centre, gateshead and low fell.
Rob44
28 Aug 2020, 2:17 pm #3

its for social distancing. they've taken a lane out to make footpath wider. been done in other areas including Newcastle city centre, gateshead and low fell.

28 Aug 2020, 3:01 pm #4
(28 Aug 2020, 2:17 pm)Rob44 its for social distancing. they've taken a lane out to make footpath wider. been done in other areas including Newcastle city centre, gateshead and low fell.
If anything this should have been done in June & July when the weather is better. I can’t imagine as many people now wanting to walk in the cold and the rain. It’s just going to clog up all the buses and other traffic. Just what you need for the start of school!  Huh
Adtrainsam
28 Aug 2020, 3:01 pm #4

(28 Aug 2020, 2:17 pm)Rob44 its for social distancing. they've taken a lane out to make footpath wider. been done in other areas including Newcastle city centre, gateshead and low fell.
If anything this should have been done in June & July when the weather is better. I can’t imagine as many people now wanting to walk in the cold and the rain. It’s just going to clog up all the buses and other traffic. Just what you need for the start of school!  Huh

idiot

28 Aug 2020, 5:56 pm #5
Is there a lot of peds in that area?!

I don't know the area sorry
Edited 28 Aug 2020, 5:56 pm by idiot.
idiot
28 Aug 2020, 5:56 pm #5

Is there a lot of peds in that area?!

I don't know the area sorry

Rob44

29 Aug 2020, 7:56 am #6
gosforth high, gosforth east and gosforth central schools will all be going back next week. I went there ( years ago) and guess they still go up high street there for the takeaways, costa chippy and pubs at lunchtime so tbh it probably been put in a t the correct time TBF
Rob44
29 Aug 2020, 7:56 am #6

gosforth high, gosforth east and gosforth central schools will all be going back next week. I went there ( years ago) and guess they still go up high street there for the takeaways, costa chippy and pubs at lunchtime so tbh it probably been put in a t the correct time TBF

Storx

29 Aug 2020, 9:38 am #7
I don't get why we don't use more of what Northumberland County Council has done in Amble where they've made both paths one way, so you can only walk up the street on one side in one direction and vice versa. I know they've done the same in Morpeth with the 2 pedestian bridges. Bit of an inconveince but it's better than no-one turning up because they can't actually get there because of traffic or park outside the shops (Low Fell).

It's not like it would be that bad in Gosforth as there's sets of lights every 100m or so anyway.
Storx
29 Aug 2020, 9:38 am #7

I don't get why we don't use more of what Northumberland County Council has done in Amble where they've made both paths one way, so you can only walk up the street on one side in one direction and vice versa. I know they've done the same in Morpeth with the 2 pedestian bridges. Bit of an inconveince but it's better than no-one turning up because they can't actually get there because of traffic or park outside the shops (Low Fell).

It's not like it would be that bad in Gosforth as there's sets of lights every 100m or so anyway.

Andreos1

29 Aug 2020, 10:13 am #8
(29 Aug 2020, 9:38 am)Storx I don't get why we don't use more of what Northumberland County Council has done in Amble where they've made both paths one way, so you can only walk up the street on one side in one direction and vice versa. I know they've done the same in Morpeth with the 2 pedestian bridges. Bit of an inconveince but it's better than no-one turning up because they can't actually get there because of traffic or park outside the shops (Low Fell).

In Newbottle St, Houghton - they made the road in to a one-way system.
Granted the diversion around the back is a lot shorter than it would be if they did the same in Gosforth/Haddricks Mill, but surely they need to see that the current situation in the High St is far from ideal.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Aug 2020, 10:13 am #8

(29 Aug 2020, 9:38 am)Storx I don't get why we don't use more of what Northumberland County Council has done in Amble where they've made both paths one way, so you can only walk up the street on one side in one direction and vice versa. I know they've done the same in Morpeth with the 2 pedestian bridges. Bit of an inconveince but it's better than no-one turning up because they can't actually get there because of traffic or park outside the shops (Low Fell).

In Newbottle St, Houghton - they made the road in to a one-way system.
Granted the diversion around the back is a lot shorter than it would be if they did the same in Gosforth/Haddricks Mill, but surely they need to see that the current situation in the High St is far from ideal.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

29 Aug 2020, 10:33 am #9
Checking the CCTV from Gosforth high street just shows it to be an absolute mess at peak... councils elsewhere have found out the hard way that carriageway incursions cause more harm than good.

I can't see one person using the widened footpath either. Just seems to be another box-ticking exercise...
omnicity4659
29 Aug 2020, 10:33 am #9

Checking the CCTV from Gosforth high street just shows it to be an absolute mess at peak... councils elsewhere have found out the hard way that carriageway incursions cause more harm than good.

I can't see one person using the widened footpath either. Just seems to be another box-ticking exercise...

Rob44

29 Aug 2020, 11:15 am #10
One way footpaths...... people cant follow arrows on sumpmarket floors!!!!
Rob44
29 Aug 2020, 11:15 am #10

One way footpaths...... people cant follow arrows on sumpmarket floors!!!!

Storx

29 Aug 2020, 11:20 am #11
(29 Aug 2020, 11:15 am)Rob44 One way footpaths...... people cant follow arrows on sumpmarket floors!!!!

The thing is the same people won't go on the road neither as it's an effort to move 2 metres across and you might aswell let the traffic flow than having a lane blocked for fresh air. Some people and it's not really a minority neither don't care about social distancing.
Storx
29 Aug 2020, 11:20 am #11

(29 Aug 2020, 11:15 am)Rob44 One way footpaths...... people cant follow arrows on sumpmarket floors!!!!

The thing is the same people won't go on the road neither as it's an effort to move 2 metres across and you might aswell let the traffic flow than having a lane blocked for fresh air. Some people and it's not really a minority neither don't care about social distancing.

Rob44

29 Aug 2020, 1:23 pm #12
disagree, I certainly would move onto the road. IN fact that exactly where i walk in Newcastle city centre when people are heading towards me!

It give more room for people who walk along to the high street and as a person who used to live in that area on a school day it is busy, so good on the council for creating more space so people can observe the 2 metre rule or even the 1 metre + rule.
Rob44
29 Aug 2020, 1:23 pm #12

disagree, I certainly would move onto the road. IN fact that exactly where i walk in Newcastle city centre when people are heading towards me!

It give more room for people who walk along to the high street and as a person who used to live in that area on a school day it is busy, so good on the council for creating more space so people can observe the 2 metre rule or even the 1 metre + rule.

BusLoverMum

29 Aug 2020, 2:04 pm #13
At least Durham haven't bothered with the one way malarkey. They've infilled some bus stop lay bys which has caused enough confusion and painted some new cycle lanes, which people just park on. Maybe they'll now get around to hacking back some of the weeds that cover the pavements, since the birds have finished nesting.

And I think some of the one way systems in shops were designed to prank us. At best, they have dozens of people walking along aisles they don't need just to travel 2m from the bread to the veg (the thankfully abandoned one in Durham tesco metro).

At worst they lead to nowhere or all converge in one spot, eg second floor in Fenwick where all the arrows lead to one up escalator. I gave up and walked on the carpet, in there.
Edited 29 Aug 2020, 2:10 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
29 Aug 2020, 2:04 pm #13

At least Durham haven't bothered with the one way malarkey. They've infilled some bus stop lay bys which has caused enough confusion and painted some new cycle lanes, which people just park on. Maybe they'll now get around to hacking back some of the weeds that cover the pavements, since the birds have finished nesting.

And I think some of the one way systems in shops were designed to prank us. At best, they have dozens of people walking along aisles they don't need just to travel 2m from the bread to the veg (the thankfully abandoned one in Durham tesco metro).

At worst they lead to nowhere or all converge in one spot, eg second floor in Fenwick where all the arrows lead to one up escalator. I gave up and walked on the carpet, in there.

29 Aug 2020, 3:22 pm #14
(29 Aug 2020, 2:04 pm)BusLoverMum At least Durham haven't bothered with the one way malarkey. They've infilled some bus stop lay bys which has caused enough confusion and painted some new cycle lanes, which people just park on. Maybe they'll now get around to hacking back some of the weeds that cover the pavements, since the birds have finished nesting.

I've said from the start one way systems cause more harm, as soon as someone stops to look for their brand of Corn Flakes, the whole aisle comes to a standstill, you can't overtake anyone because the aisles are too narrow, and you can't turn around because the sales assistants who think they're god's gift shout at you for walking the wrong way.

I was in ASDA Bishop and wanted to get to literally the last freezer in the aisle, but I had to do a lap around, waiting for the aisle back up to clear because I wasn't allowed to walk the wrong way up an empty aisle! If I hadn't been with my mother I would have told them where to go!

At this point, I've given up following the one way systems, I'll walk where I want, thank you very much!
The sooner the media stop scaremongering for views the better

(29 Aug 2020, 1:23 pm)Rob44 disagree, I certainly would move onto the road. IN fact that exactly where i walk in Newcastle city centre when people are heading towards me! 

It give more room for people who walk along to the high street and as a person who used to live in that area on a school day it  is busy, so good on the council for creating more space so people can observe the 2 metre rule or even the 1 metre + rule.

I always walk on the road anyway, it's safer than walking on the pavement, especially with all the dodgy paving slabs! Plus, the tarmac is softer so it's nicer on the feet.
Edited 29 Aug 2020, 3:24 pm by streetdeckfan.
streetdeckfan
29 Aug 2020, 3:22 pm #14

(29 Aug 2020, 2:04 pm)BusLoverMum At least Durham haven't bothered with the one way malarkey. They've infilled some bus stop lay bys which has caused enough confusion and painted some new cycle lanes, which people just park on. Maybe they'll now get around to hacking back some of the weeds that cover the pavements, since the birds have finished nesting.

I've said from the start one way systems cause more harm, as soon as someone stops to look for their brand of Corn Flakes, the whole aisle comes to a standstill, you can't overtake anyone because the aisles are too narrow, and you can't turn around because the sales assistants who think they're god's gift shout at you for walking the wrong way.

I was in ASDA Bishop and wanted to get to literally the last freezer in the aisle, but I had to do a lap around, waiting for the aisle back up to clear because I wasn't allowed to walk the wrong way up an empty aisle! If I hadn't been with my mother I would have told them where to go!

At this point, I've given up following the one way systems, I'll walk where I want, thank you very much!
The sooner the media stop scaremongering for views the better

(29 Aug 2020, 1:23 pm)Rob44 disagree, I certainly would move onto the road. IN fact that exactly where i walk in Newcastle city centre when people are heading towards me! 

It give more room for people who walk along to the high street and as a person who used to live in that area on a school day it  is busy, so good on the council for creating more space so people can observe the 2 metre rule or even the 1 metre + rule.

I always walk on the road anyway, it's safer than walking on the pavement, especially with all the dodgy paving slabs! Plus, the tarmac is softer so it's nicer on the feet.

Storx

29 Aug 2020, 3:59 pm #15

The thing is some people wont though you can tell by some of the replies that people just don't care. Instead now we've got a path on a major transport route for 50 people a day.

Every single passenger travelling from SE Northumberland to Newcastle is now delayed by the incompetence of Newcastle City Council but we can't do anything to get arid of them whether that's the shambles of Haddricks Mill where Ireland could've built 100 miles of Motorway in the same time which isn't even done properly and just abruptly ends or now this mess in Gosforth.

Then Newcastle CC wonders why everyone drives when it takes an hour to get into Newcastle on a 10 mile bus journey at peaks.

I slate bus companies a lot but I do feel sorry for the crap and hassle that Gateshead Council and Newcastle City Council put them through with their projects which take way too long to do or are just completely pointless and make things worse and you tell that Arriva think the same by some of the press releases they've put out about the X7/X8.
Storx
29 Aug 2020, 3:59 pm #15

The thing is some people wont though you can tell by some of the replies that people just don't care. Instead now we've got a path on a major transport route for 50 people a day.

Every single passenger travelling from SE Northumberland to Newcastle is now delayed by the incompetence of Newcastle City Council but we can't do anything to get arid of them whether that's the shambles of Haddricks Mill where Ireland could've built 100 miles of Motorway in the same time which isn't even done properly and just abruptly ends or now this mess in Gosforth.

Then Newcastle CC wonders why everyone drives when it takes an hour to get into Newcastle on a 10 mile bus journey at peaks.

I slate bus companies a lot but I do feel sorry for the crap and hassle that Gateshead Council and Newcastle City Council put them through with their projects which take way too long to do or are just completely pointless and make things worse and you tell that Arriva think the same by some of the press releases they've put out about the X7/X8.

29 Aug 2020, 5:10 pm #16
(29 Aug 2020, 3:59 pm)Storx The thing is some people wont though you can tell by some of the replies that people just don't care. Instead now we've got a path on a major transport route for 50 people a day.

I think the issue is the councils have have been given money by the government to support social distancing, and instead of using it wisely, they've gone through their list of things they want to try but couldn't justify, then used the free money and special planning exemptions to just go ahead and do it. If it doesn't work, it hasn't affected their budget.

And I wouldn't say I don't care, just that one way systems for the sake of it just don't work.
If walking past someone outdoors is enough to catch COVID, then so is walking 2m behind some walking the same direction, you're walking straight through the air they've just breathed out. You can walk 10m behind someone that's smoking and still taste the smoke in the air, COVID sticks around in the air as well.
streetdeckfan
29 Aug 2020, 5:10 pm #16

(29 Aug 2020, 3:59 pm)Storx The thing is some people wont though you can tell by some of the replies that people just don't care. Instead now we've got a path on a major transport route for 50 people a day.

I think the issue is the councils have have been given money by the government to support social distancing, and instead of using it wisely, they've gone through their list of things they want to try but couldn't justify, then used the free money and special planning exemptions to just go ahead and do it. If it doesn't work, it hasn't affected their budget.

And I wouldn't say I don't care, just that one way systems for the sake of it just don't work.
If walking past someone outdoors is enough to catch COVID, then so is walking 2m behind some walking the same direction, you're walking straight through the air they've just breathed out. You can walk 10m behind someone that's smoking and still taste the smoke in the air, COVID sticks around in the air as well.

Storx

29 Aug 2020, 8:10 pm #17
(29 Aug 2020, 5:10 pm)streetdeckfan I think the issue is the councils have have been given money by the government to support social distancing, and instead of using it wisely, they've gone through their list of things they want to try but couldn't justify, then used the free money and special planning exemptions to just go ahead and do it. If it doesn't work, it hasn't affected their budget.

I thought the money was for cycling schemes rather than social distancing stuff but I could be wrong.

Ah don't worry I wasn't doing that personally very very few people are social distancing lately tbh it's more just normal now since face masks have become mandatory. All the big 4 supermarkets have pretty much scrapped any form of social distancing now.

Tbh Newcastle, North Tyneside and Gateshead have been a joke long before this though. Haddricks Mill, Heworth, Four Lane Ends, Blue House Roundabout, Kenton Bar, Sandy Lane, Speed Bump at The Cannon, John Dobson Street, Haymarket changes, Cowgate, Norham Road, Whickham 20mph Zone, Benton ASDA lights. Just a short list of complete cock ups between the 3 of them which haven't improved anything, went months over or made things worse for everyone including buses. No doubt there's more you could add I've missed.
Storx
29 Aug 2020, 8:10 pm #17

(29 Aug 2020, 5:10 pm)streetdeckfan I think the issue is the councils have have been given money by the government to support social distancing, and instead of using it wisely, they've gone through their list of things they want to try but couldn't justify, then used the free money and special planning exemptions to just go ahead and do it. If it doesn't work, it hasn't affected their budget.

I thought the money was for cycling schemes rather than social distancing stuff but I could be wrong.

Ah don't worry I wasn't doing that personally very very few people are social distancing lately tbh it's more just normal now since face masks have become mandatory. All the big 4 supermarkets have pretty much scrapped any form of social distancing now.

Tbh Newcastle, North Tyneside and Gateshead have been a joke long before this though. Haddricks Mill, Heworth, Four Lane Ends, Blue House Roundabout, Kenton Bar, Sandy Lane, Speed Bump at The Cannon, John Dobson Street, Haymarket changes, Cowgate, Norham Road, Whickham 20mph Zone, Benton ASDA lights. Just a short list of complete cock ups between the 3 of them which haven't improved anything, went months over or made things worse for everyone including buses. No doubt there's more you could add I've missed.

Adrian

29 Aug 2020, 8:37 pm #18

You suggest that councils are just doing what they want, but this couldn't be further from the truth. They're following the Government instruction that has been issued in the form of the 'safer public places - urban centres and green spaces' guidance. See specifically part 4 - management of urban centres. The 'free money' you talk about is based on footfall, so they don't get any more than they need.

The only reason one way systems don't work is because people are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them. Its as if some people are capable of following basic instruction. Its not hard to follow arrows and show patience towards others.

(29 Aug 2020, 8:10 pm)Storx I thought the money was for cycling schemes rather than social distancing stuff but I could be wrong.

There's two separate pots of money. There was a £2 billion fund for cycling and walking routes, then another £50 million fund for reopening high streets safely.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Aug 2020, 8:37 pm #18

You suggest that councils are just doing what they want, but this couldn't be further from the truth. They're following the Government instruction that has been issued in the form of the 'safer public places - urban centres and green spaces' guidance. See specifically part 4 - management of urban centres. The 'free money' you talk about is based on footfall, so they don't get any more than they need.

The only reason one way systems don't work is because people are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them. Its as if some people are capable of following basic instruction. Its not hard to follow arrows and show patience towards others.

(29 Aug 2020, 8:10 pm)Storx I thought the money was for cycling schemes rather than social distancing stuff but I could be wrong.

There's two separate pots of money. There was a £2 billion fund for cycling and walking routes, then another £50 million fund for reopening high streets safely.

29 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm #19

You're probably right, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was funding for increasing the footpaths as well.

To be honest, there's not really much supermarkets can do, one way systems didn't work, they can't have staff standing around making sure everyone is keeping their distance, and at the end of the day it's going to be sticking around for a while so there's no use wrapping yourself up in cotton wool. Cases are going back up, but deaths aren't, even taking into account the lag. Plus, with reports now starting to come out that tests are 'too sensitive', can we even trust those figures?

To go off on a little tangent, we've been in the high single, low double digit number of deaths for over a month now. If we look three weeks ago, around 1000 people on average were testing positive. On the 19th March, around the same number of people tested positive, but three weeks later around 1000 people were dying a day. But those positive test figures are by no means the same, back then only 5000 people were being tested daily, but three weeks ago that was 150,000.
Personally, right now, I am more scared of getting in the car with my mother driving than I am of COVID. If the figures go up by a meaningful amount, I might change my stance, but right now, it doesn't worry me. As Boris said, just use your common sense. I socially distance anyway as people round here are absolute tramps!

Back somewhat on topic, as I've mentioned before we work with some of the councils to carry out research and the consultations they have are a load of crap. They're guided in such a way that the councils get the answer they want, regardless of what people actually answer. For some focus groups I've been doing for another client, just from looking at the discussion guide I can already tell what the conclusion of the report will be.

(29 Aug 2020, 8:37 pm)Adrian The only reason one way systems don't work is because people are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them. Its as if some people are capable of following basic instruction. Its not hard to follow arrows and show patience towards others.

I disagree there, one way systems cause a backlog of people stuck in an aisle with nowhere to go. Especially when inconsiderate people leave their trolley in the middle of the aisle, so even if there was 2 metres, you couldn't get past anyway. Quickly walking past someone is safer than being stuck in the aisle behind someone. 

If people aren't going to follow them, what's the point in implementing them. I think the one way system at my local ALDI lasted about a week before it was removed.
Edited 29 Aug 2020, 8:53 pm by streetdeckfan.
streetdeckfan
29 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm #19

You're probably right, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was funding for increasing the footpaths as well.

To be honest, there's not really much supermarkets can do, one way systems didn't work, they can't have staff standing around making sure everyone is keeping their distance, and at the end of the day it's going to be sticking around for a while so there's no use wrapping yourself up in cotton wool. Cases are going back up, but deaths aren't, even taking into account the lag. Plus, with reports now starting to come out that tests are 'too sensitive', can we even trust those figures?

To go off on a little tangent, we've been in the high single, low double digit number of deaths for over a month now. If we look three weeks ago, around 1000 people on average were testing positive. On the 19th March, around the same number of people tested positive, but three weeks later around 1000 people were dying a day. But those positive test figures are by no means the same, back then only 5000 people were being tested daily, but three weeks ago that was 150,000.
Personally, right now, I am more scared of getting in the car with my mother driving than I am of COVID. If the figures go up by a meaningful amount, I might change my stance, but right now, it doesn't worry me. As Boris said, just use your common sense. I socially distance anyway as people round here are absolute tramps!

Back somewhat on topic, as I've mentioned before we work with some of the councils to carry out research and the consultations they have are a load of crap. They're guided in such a way that the councils get the answer they want, regardless of what people actually answer. For some focus groups I've been doing for another client, just from looking at the discussion guide I can already tell what the conclusion of the report will be.

(29 Aug 2020, 8:37 pm)Adrian The only reason one way systems don't work is because people are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them. Its as if some people are capable of following basic instruction. Its not hard to follow arrows and show patience towards others.

I disagree there, one way systems cause a backlog of people stuck in an aisle with nowhere to go. Especially when inconsiderate people leave their trolley in the middle of the aisle, so even if there was 2 metres, you couldn't get past anyway. Quickly walking past someone is safer than being stuck in the aisle behind someone. 

If people aren't going to follow them, what's the point in implementing them. I think the one way system at my local ALDI lasted about a week before it was removed.

Adrian

29 Aug 2020, 9:28 pm #20
(29 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm)streetdeckfan I disagree there, one way systems cause a backlog of people stuck in an aisle with nowhere to go. Especially when inconsiderate people leave their trolley in the middle of the aisle, so even if there was 2 metres, you couldn't get past anyway. Quickly walking past someone is safer than being stuck in the aisle behind someone. 

You've disagreed by echoing my point really. The failing is people that are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them, not the system itself.

Adrian
29 Aug 2020, 9:28 pm #20

(29 Aug 2020, 8:49 pm)streetdeckfan I disagree there, one way systems cause a backlog of people stuck in an aisle with nowhere to go. Especially when inconsiderate people leave their trolley in the middle of the aisle, so even if there was 2 metres, you couldn't get past anyway. Quickly walking past someone is safer than being stuck in the aisle behind someone. 

You've disagreed by echoing my point really. The failing is people that are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them, not the system itself.

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average