Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Go North East & Stanley Travel to assist Arriva Northumberland due to Covid Issues

Go North East & Stanley Travel to assist Arriva Northumberland due to Covid Issues

Go North East & Stanley Travel to assist Arriva Northumberland due to Covid Issues

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
idiot

13 Feb 2021, 9:01 am #21
(12 Feb 2021, 6:09 pm)makem1 It just shows how easy it is to spread covid, and what a fantastic job the drivers are doing, they need a helluva lot more praise than they presently get

I may get flack for this but supermarket workers are low down in my opinion of key workers. They could easily be replaced imo.

I'm a courier driver and don't class myself as too important either. Anyone with a drivers licence can drive a white van.
idiot
13 Feb 2021, 9:01 am #21

(12 Feb 2021, 6:09 pm)makem1 It just shows how easy it is to spread covid, and what a fantastic job the drivers are doing, they need a helluva lot more praise than they presently get

I may get flack for this but supermarket workers are low down in my opinion of key workers. They could easily be replaced imo.

I'm a courier driver and don't class myself as too important either. Anyone with a drivers licence can drive a white van.

13 Feb 2021, 10:48 am #22
(13 Feb 2021, 9:01 am)idiot I may get flack for this but supermarket workers are low down in my opinion of key workers. They could easily be replaced imo.

I see where you're coming from, but equally to me supermarket workers are some of the most vulnerable out of all the 'key workers'.

They come into contact with more people than just about any other worker, without the proper PPE you get working for the NHS, or without sitting behind the screen like a bus driver (believe it or not, not everyone works on a checkout behind a screen like some people like to think).

Then you've got the issue of having to touch all the stock that the public have touched (no doubt while fiddling with their mask)

If you've been to a supermarket recently, you'll see how little social distancing there is, customers literally climb over each other to get a block of cheese, especially around the reduced section when the workers are trying to put it out!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
13 Feb 2021, 10:48 am #22

(13 Feb 2021, 9:01 am)idiot I may get flack for this but supermarket workers are low down in my opinion of key workers. They could easily be replaced imo.

I see where you're coming from, but equally to me supermarket workers are some of the most vulnerable out of all the 'key workers'.

They come into contact with more people than just about any other worker, without the proper PPE you get working for the NHS, or without sitting behind the screen like a bus driver (believe it or not, not everyone works on a checkout behind a screen like some people like to think).

Then you've got the issue of having to touch all the stock that the public have touched (no doubt while fiddling with their mask)

If you've been to a supermarket recently, you'll see how little social distancing there is, customers literally climb over each other to get a block of cheese, especially around the reduced section when the workers are trying to put it out!

RM2186

13 Feb 2021, 10:54 am #23

The buses I drive have no screens at all nor roped off seats or hand sanitiser strategically positioned
RM2186
13 Feb 2021, 10:54 am #23

The buses I drive have no screens at all nor roped off seats or hand sanitiser strategically positioned

Drifter60

13 Feb 2021, 12:42 pm #24
(13 Feb 2021, 10:54 am)RM2186 They come into contact with more people than just about any other worker, without the proper PPE you get working for the NHS, or without sitting behind the screen like a bus driver (believe it or not, not everyone works on a checkout behind a screen like some people like to think).

Well I’d suggest speaking to your employer? The point being made is that staff at Asda Byker are coming into more close contact than the driver of the Coaster 1A route. Not an exact science, but Go North East drivers don’t even need to wear masks because of the screen in place which offers them adequate protection. Although having said this, I do think putting various key workers above each other in risk levels is a little toxic, all workers should be appreciated right now - including those working from home too - wether you’re a police officer, a bus driver, or a McDonald’s worker having to physically attend work or a call centre worker trying to ‘Work from Home’ with the dog barking in the background or someone trying to do accounting while home schooling. 

Speaking of the safety measures on buses, does make me wonder how these recent outbreaks have spread within bus operators. GNE seem to handling it well but Arriva are struggling it seems? I’ve never been on buses since before the pandemic, but is there a sufficient cleaning between driver change overs inside the cab and is social distancing achievable during meal/rest breaks?
Drifter60
13 Feb 2021, 12:42 pm #24

(13 Feb 2021, 10:54 am)RM2186 They come into contact with more people than just about any other worker, without the proper PPE you get working for the NHS, or without sitting behind the screen like a bus driver (believe it or not, not everyone works on a checkout behind a screen like some people like to think).

Well I’d suggest speaking to your employer? The point being made is that staff at Asda Byker are coming into more close contact than the driver of the Coaster 1A route. Not an exact science, but Go North East drivers don’t even need to wear masks because of the screen in place which offers them adequate protection. Although having said this, I do think putting various key workers above each other in risk levels is a little toxic, all workers should be appreciated right now - including those working from home too - wether you’re a police officer, a bus driver, or a McDonald’s worker having to physically attend work or a call centre worker trying to ‘Work from Home’ with the dog barking in the background or someone trying to do accounting while home schooling. 

Speaking of the safety measures on buses, does make me wonder how these recent outbreaks have spread within bus operators. GNE seem to handling it well but Arriva are struggling it seems? I’ve never been on buses since before the pandemic, but is there a sufficient cleaning between driver change overs inside the cab and is social distancing achievable during meal/rest breaks?

Storx

13 Feb 2021, 3:03 pm #25
(13 Feb 2021, 12:42 pm)Drifter60 Well I’d suggest speaking to your employer? The point being made is that staff at Asda Byker are coming into more close contact than the driver of the Coaster 1A route. Not an exact science, but Go North East drivers don’t even need to wear masks because of the screen in place which offers them adequate protection. Although having said this, I do think putting various key workers above each other in risk levels is a little toxic, all workers should be appreciated right now - including those working from home too - wether you’re a police officer, a bus driver, or a McDonald’s worker having to physically attend work or a call centre worker trying to ‘Work from Home’ with the dog barking in the background or someone trying to do accounting while home schooling. 

The number of drivers probably makes a big help when it comes to GNE, there's some school contracts plus the National Express work which has all been cancelled atm so even if half the staff did catch the virus then it wouldn't cause as much as an impact compared to Arriva who's only work is their service work so if you lose half the staff then your going to be short.

Can't really comment on Stagecoach but the movement of services around at Sunderland/South Shields could very well be linked to issues at South Shields.
Storx
13 Feb 2021, 3:03 pm #25

(13 Feb 2021, 12:42 pm)Drifter60 Well I’d suggest speaking to your employer? The point being made is that staff at Asda Byker are coming into more close contact than the driver of the Coaster 1A route. Not an exact science, but Go North East drivers don’t even need to wear masks because of the screen in place which offers them adequate protection. Although having said this, I do think putting various key workers above each other in risk levels is a little toxic, all workers should be appreciated right now - including those working from home too - wether you’re a police officer, a bus driver, or a McDonald’s worker having to physically attend work or a call centre worker trying to ‘Work from Home’ with the dog barking in the background or someone trying to do accounting while home schooling. 

The number of drivers probably makes a big help when it comes to GNE, there's some school contracts plus the National Express work which has all been cancelled atm so even if half the staff did catch the virus then it wouldn't cause as much as an impact compared to Arriva who's only work is their service work so if you lose half the staff then your going to be short.

Can't really comment on Stagecoach but the movement of services around at Sunderland/South Shields could very well be linked to issues at South Shields.

ne14ne1

13 Feb 2021, 3:20 pm #26
Several times throughout last year when walking through Haymarket I kept seeing multiple Arriva staff stood chatting within 2m of each other, several without masks, either at the door to the Arriva staff room/office or smoking in the seating area just outside the bus station.
I haven’t walked through there since Christmas, but hopefully they’re acting more appropriately now since their recent internal scares/losses.
ne14ne1
13 Feb 2021, 3:20 pm #26

Several times throughout last year when walking through Haymarket I kept seeing multiple Arriva staff stood chatting within 2m of each other, several without masks, either at the door to the Arriva staff room/office or smoking in the seating area just outside the bus station.
I haven’t walked through there since Christmas, but hopefully they’re acting more appropriately now since their recent internal scares/losses.

Michael

13 Feb 2021, 6:28 pm #27
Has it been confirmed what buses will be allocated to the 46 and 51/51A?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
13 Feb 2021, 6:28 pm #27

Has it been confirmed what buses will be allocated to the 46 and 51/51A?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

13 Feb 2021, 6:37 pm #28

If they're going to vaccinate people in the future based on their risk, then to me bus drivers that are protected by a screen should be fairly far down the 'priority list' due to their relatively little amount of exposure to people. Same with people working in banks, and even GP receptionist.

As for the cleaning, in Durham from what I've seen Arriva have actually been quite good at driver change overs. Last time I was there (which, granted was a few weeks ago now) they were wiping down the entire cabs with some cleaning spray.
But then they all hang around together opposite the bus station with no social distancing, so...

streetdeckfan
13 Feb 2021, 6:37 pm #28

If they're going to vaccinate people in the future based on their risk, then to me bus drivers that are protected by a screen should be fairly far down the 'priority list' due to their relatively little amount of exposure to people. Same with people working in banks, and even GP receptionist.

As for the cleaning, in Durham from what I've seen Arriva have actually been quite good at driver change overs. Last time I was there (which, granted was a few weeks ago now) they were wiping down the entire cabs with some cleaning spray.
But then they all hang around together opposite the bus station with no social distancing, so...

13 Feb 2021, 6:52 pm #29
(13 Feb 2021, 6:28 pm)Michael Has it been confirmed what buses will be allocated to the 46 and 51/51A?
I have a feeling it will be spare solos possibly Percy mains one I guess
MichealAaron
13 Feb 2021, 6:52 pm #29

(13 Feb 2021, 6:28 pm)Michael Has it been confirmed what buses will be allocated to the 46 and 51/51A?
I have a feeling it will be spare solos possibly Percy mains one I guess

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Feb 2021, 8:25 am #30

Service 46 is being operated by Stanley Travel, not Go North East.

Go North East will allocate 3x Scania Omnicity to services 51/51A. Though Arriva normally allocate Optare Solos, the allocation of full-size single-decks should ensure adequate social distancing.
Dan
14 Feb 2021, 8:25 am #30

Service 46 is being operated by Stanley Travel, not Go North East.

Go North East will allocate 3x Scania Omnicity to services 51/51A. Though Arriva normally allocate Optare Solos, the allocation of full-size single-decks should ensure adequate social distancing.

Michael

14 Feb 2021, 11:07 am #31
(14 Feb 2021, 8:25 am)Dan Service 46 is being operated by Stanley Travel, not Go North East.

Ah right thank you for the information.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Feb 2021, 11:07 am #31

(14 Feb 2021, 8:25 am)Dan Service 46 is being operated by Stanley Travel, not Go North East.

Ah right thank you for the information.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

JM03

15 Feb 2021, 5:07 pm #32

Arriva in the past couple of weeks have had larger allocations on the 51, many streetlites and e400s have been on. On an unrelated note, heard from one of the arriva drivers coming home from work is that one of the drivers sadly passed away from the virus in the past week
JM03
15 Feb 2021, 5:07 pm #32

Arriva in the past couple of weeks have had larger allocations on the 51, many streetlites and e400s have been on. On an unrelated note, heard from one of the arriva drivers coming home from work is that one of the drivers sadly passed away from the virus in the past week

15 Feb 2021, 7:54 pm #33
Is there any information that its just the 46/51/51A or will more soon follow
MichealAaron
15 Feb 2021, 7:54 pm #33

Is there any information that its just the 46/51/51A or will more soon follow

GNE6312

15 Feb 2021, 9:34 pm #34
(15 Feb 2021, 5:07 pm)JM03 Arriva in the past couple of weeks have had larger allocations on the 51, many streetlites and e400s have been on. On an unrelated note, heard from one of the arriva drivers coming home from work is that one of the drivers sadly passed away from the virus in the past week
The 1/2 have been larger buses recently too usually a mix of pulsars and DB300s, today's allocation was 7601, 7611, 7617, 7625, 1501, 1502 & 1505.
GNE6312
15 Feb 2021, 9:34 pm #34

(15 Feb 2021, 5:07 pm)JM03 Arriva in the past couple of weeks have had larger allocations on the 51, many streetlites and e400s have been on. On an unrelated note, heard from one of the arriva drivers coming home from work is that one of the drivers sadly passed away from the virus in the past week
The 1/2 have been larger buses recently too usually a mix of pulsars and DB300s, today's allocation was 7601, 7611, 7617, 7625, 1501, 1502 & 1505.

RMF1254

16 Feb 2021, 10:16 am #35
5264 was on the 51 yesterday.
Attached Files
.jpeg
7B380815-9837-463F-995D-9B3E8C0B3ABC.jpeg
Size: 1.94 MB / Downloads: 77
.jpeg
73C3CB54-AC11-42CE-B276-11CC3B4A5B1E.jpeg
Size: 1.62 MB / Downloads: 61
RMF1254
16 Feb 2021, 10:16 am #35

5264 was on the 51 yesterday.

Attached Files
.jpeg
7B380815-9837-463F-995D-9B3E8C0B3ABC.jpeg
Size: 1.94 MB / Downloads: 77
.jpeg
73C3CB54-AC11-42CE-B276-11CC3B4A5B1E.jpeg
Size: 1.62 MB / Downloads: 61

16 Feb 2021, 10:20 am #36
(16 Feb 2021, 10:16 am)RMF1254 5264 was on the 51 yesterday.
I think it was 5249&5272 that was on it as well. (Maybe wrong)
NewcastleOne
16 Feb 2021, 10:20 am #36

(16 Feb 2021, 10:16 am)RMF1254 5264 was on the 51 yesterday.
I think it was 5249&5272 that was on it as well. (Maybe wrong)

JM03

16 Feb 2021, 2:53 pm #37
(16 Feb 2021, 10:20 am)NewcastleOne I think it was 5249&5272 that was on it as well. (Maybe wrong)
It was 5267 and 5272
5249 was on the 19 I think
JM03
16 Feb 2021, 2:53 pm #37

(16 Feb 2021, 10:20 am)NewcastleOne I think it was 5249&5272 that was on it as well. (Maybe wrong)
It was 5267 and 5272
5249 was on the 19 I think

19 Feb 2021, 6:16 pm #38
GNE are now operating some Arriva service 51 services.

Stanley taxi are now operating some 46 service to help with Arriva driver shortage.

Other routes are expected to follow as Arriva routes are now programmed into the GNE ticket machines.

The rumor of big shakeup among the North East bus operators with various options to merge company together is started up again. It is pretty much inevitable that something pretty drastic will happen when the funding finally does stop and it will eventually. Council looks to be the most likely option. In 2014 the council put together an idea to run the buses. The name NE buses has been dropped around a few times, indeed GNE have been operating dupes for stagecoach and Arriva for a while. All operators have come together to except each other tickets and now GNE is operating the majority of Arriva 51 service it quite obvious the direction things seem to be going in but and i must stress we will just have to wait and see what happens with covid restrictions ease.

Stay safe everyone.
CookieMonster
19 Feb 2021, 6:16 pm #38

GNE are now operating some Arriva service 51 services.

Stanley taxi are now operating some 46 service to help with Arriva driver shortage.

Other routes are expected to follow as Arriva routes are now programmed into the GNE ticket machines.

The rumor of big shakeup among the North East bus operators with various options to merge company together is started up again. It is pretty much inevitable that something pretty drastic will happen when the funding finally does stop and it will eventually. Council looks to be the most likely option. In 2014 the council put together an idea to run the buses. The name NE buses has been dropped around a few times, indeed GNE have been operating dupes for stagecoach and Arriva for a while. All operators have come together to except each other tickets and now GNE is operating the majority of Arriva 51 service it quite obvious the direction things seem to be going in but and i must stress we will just have to wait and see what happens with covid restrictions ease.

Stay safe everyone.

R838PRG

19 Feb 2021, 8:37 pm #39
What other routes are programmed?
R838PRG
19 Feb 2021, 8:37 pm #39

What other routes are programmed?

19 Feb 2021, 8:43 pm #40
Looks like the Jesmond routes.

Anyone know how to delete a thread, just noticed someone started one on same topic.
Edited 19 Feb 2021, 8:45 pm by CookieMonster.
CookieMonster
19 Feb 2021, 8:43 pm #40

Looks like the Jesmond routes.

Anyone know how to delete a thread, just noticed someone started one on same topic.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average