Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Boxing Day Services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
Train8261

20 Sep 2021, 2:55 pm #1
Is it a possibility that due to the National Driver shortage this year that on boxing day we could see other companies helping GNE/Arriva and Stagecoach run boxing day services
Train8261
20 Sep 2021, 2:55 pm #1

Is it a possibility that due to the National Driver shortage this year that on boxing day we could see other companies helping GNE/Arriva and Stagecoach run boxing day services

20 Sep 2021, 3:36 pm #2
(20 Sep 2021, 2:55 pm)Train8261 Is it a possibility that due to the National Driver shortage this year that on boxing day we could see other companies helping GNE/Arriva and Stagecoach run boxing day services

There's always drivers wanting £££ on Boxing Day.
omnicity4659
20 Sep 2021, 3:36 pm #2

(20 Sep 2021, 2:55 pm)Train8261 Is it a possibility that due to the National Driver shortage this year that on boxing day we could see other companies helping GNE/Arriva and Stagecoach run boxing day services

There's always drivers wanting £££ on Boxing Day.

Ambassador

20 Sep 2021, 3:38 pm #3

Or they cut them down and don't run as many. Newcastle are at home but I imagine it will move for TV (either the same day or following day)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
20 Sep 2021, 3:38 pm #3

Or they cut them down and don't run as many. Newcastle are at home but I imagine it will move for TV (either the same day or following day)

Train8261

20 Sep 2021, 8:03 pm #4
Be interested to see if it does happen
Train8261
20 Sep 2021, 8:03 pm #4

Be interested to see if it does happen

Storx

20 Sep 2021, 9:52 pm #5

Unless Nexus pays for it, they won't be running at all imo. No way would they pay the costs for someone to run services for the sake of it.
Storx
20 Sep 2021, 9:52 pm #5

Unless Nexus pays for it, they won't be running at all imo. No way would they pay the costs for someone to run services for the sake of it.

col87

22 Sep 2021, 8:38 am #6
What’s this about services on Boxing Day it’s unheard of. Seriously though I Know Newcastle is used to this but face it they is likely to be a very limited service there if that and unless it is payed for from nexus or a local council I can see the majority of operators not bothering to run on that day just like how it is down here in Hartlepool and Teesside.
col87
22 Sep 2021, 8:38 am #6

What’s this about services on Boxing Day it’s unheard of. Seriously though I Know Newcastle is used to this but face it they is likely to be a very limited service there if that and unless it is payed for from nexus or a local council I can see the majority of operators not bothering to run on that day just like how it is down here in Hartlepool and Teesside.

22 Sep 2021, 9:06 am #7
Maybe, we need to stop treating bank holidays as anything (as well as Sundays) as anything special.
People still need to get to work, buses still need to run a 'proper' service. Maybe not to the same frequency, but at least to all the places they usually serve!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
22 Sep 2021, 9:06 am #7

Maybe, we need to stop treating bank holidays as anything (as well as Sundays) as anything special.
People still need to get to work, buses still need to run a 'proper' service. Maybe not to the same frequency, but at least to all the places they usually serve!

Stanleyone

22 Sep 2021, 9:13 am #8
(22 Sep 2021, 9:06 am)streetdeckfan Maybe, we need to stop treating bank holidays as anything (as well as Sundays) as anything special.

Plenty of vacancies if you feel we don't need bank Holidays. Personally I'd give you a week at most!!!!.
Stanleyone
22 Sep 2021, 9:13 am #8

(22 Sep 2021, 9:06 am)streetdeckfan Maybe, we need to stop treating bank holidays as anything (as well as Sundays) as anything special.

Plenty of vacancies if you feel we don't need bank Holidays. Personally I'd give you a week at most!!!!.

22 Sep 2021, 9:21 am #9
(22 Sep 2021, 9:13 am)Stanleyone Plenty of vacancies if you feel we don't need bank Holidays. Personally I'd give you a week at most!!!!.
Most supermarket workers are still expected to work Sundays and bank holidays.

At the end of the day, as a customer it's not my problem to care what the driver's think. That's the company's problem to solve.

streetdeckfan
22 Sep 2021, 9:21 am #9

(22 Sep 2021, 9:13 am)Stanleyone Plenty of vacancies if you feel we don't need bank Holidays. Personally I'd give you a week at most!!!!.
Most supermarket workers are still expected to work Sundays and bank holidays.

At the end of the day, as a customer it's not my problem to care what the driver's think. That's the company's problem to solve.

Stanleyone

22 Sep 2021, 10:19 am #10
(22 Sep 2021, 9:21 am)streetdeckfan Most supermarket workers are still expected to work Sundays and bank holidays.

As are we, my problem is people like you and your attitude towards what we provide. Shops close earlier on Sundays and work shorter hours on bank Holidays so why have a enhanced service level. You are on another level and as I say you couldn't do the job we do.
Stanleyone
22 Sep 2021, 10:19 am #10

(22 Sep 2021, 9:21 am)streetdeckfan Most supermarket workers are still expected to work Sundays and bank holidays.

As are we, my problem is people like you and your attitude towards what we provide. Shops close earlier on Sundays and work shorter hours on bank Holidays so why have a enhanced service level. You are on another level and as I say you couldn't do the job we do.

22 Sep 2021, 12:32 pm #11
(22 Sep 2021, 10:19 am)Stanleyone As are we, my problem is people like you and your attitude towards what we provide. Shops close earlier on Sundays and work shorter hours on bank Holidays so why have a enhanced service level. You are on another level and as I say you couldn't do the job we do.
Probably dosen't even work.
Driver9***
22 Sep 2021, 12:32 pm #11

(22 Sep 2021, 10:19 am)Stanleyone As are we, my problem is people like you and your attitude towards what we provide. Shops close earlier on Sundays and work shorter hours on bank Holidays so why have a enhanced service level. You are on another level and as I say you couldn't do the job we do.
Probably dosen't even work.

Stanleyone

22 Sep 2021, 1:02 pm #12
(22 Sep 2021, 12:32 pm)Driver9*** Probably dosen't even work.
If I remember correctly he's in "marketing", probably one of these paid to read from a script whilst cold calling potential customers, very unskilled work types.
Stanleyone
22 Sep 2021, 1:02 pm #12

If I remember correctly he's in "marketing", probably one of these paid to read from a script whilst cold calling potential customers, very unskilled work types.

Ambassador

22 Sep 2021, 1:33 pm #13
(22 Sep 2021, 1:02 pm)Stanleyone If I remember correctly he's in "marketing", probably one of these paid to read from a script whilst cold calling potential customers, very unskilled work types.

But still one of your Customers (if you are a driver and if you are, I'd have you out the door as it's an appalling attitude to have towards a Customer)

And let's not pretend bus driving, depsite the challenges, is anything more than an entry level low skilled profession which probably pays less than cold call sales companies and entry level retail (who do work outside the current limited operating hours)

This mentality of Monday to Friday in the industry along with rigid service patterns is exactly why the industry is on its arse. It's filled with archaic attitudes and any forward thinking has the life sucked out of it by a minority of souless drivers who don't give a toss about the people who pay their wages (the company and its passengers)

Ambassador
22 Sep 2021, 1:33 pm #13

(22 Sep 2021, 1:02 pm)Stanleyone If I remember correctly he's in "marketing", probably one of these paid to read from a script whilst cold calling potential customers, very unskilled work types.

But still one of your Customers (if you are a driver and if you are, I'd have you out the door as it's an appalling attitude to have towards a Customer)

And let's not pretend bus driving, depsite the challenges, is anything more than an entry level low skilled profession which probably pays less than cold call sales companies and entry level retail (who do work outside the current limited operating hours)

This mentality of Monday to Friday in the industry along with rigid service patterns is exactly why the industry is on its arse. It's filled with archaic attitudes and any forward thinking has the life sucked out of it by a minority of souless drivers who don't give a toss about the people who pay their wages (the company and its passengers)

Storx

22 Sep 2021, 2:14 pm #14
(22 Sep 2021, 1:33 pm)Ambassador But still one of your Customers (if you are a driver and if you are, I'd have you out the door as it's an appalling attitude to have towards a Customer)

This mentality of Monday to Friday in the industry along with rigid service patterns is exactly why the industry is on its arse. It's filled with archaic attitudes and any forward thinking has the life sucked out of  it by a minority of souless drivers who don't give a toss about the people who pay their wages (the company and its passengers)

Just wanted to highlight some of your post as a sentence. It pretty much explains why the industry is in the state it's in. Stanleyone imo is one of the better posters on here and the comments by some enthusiasts towards bus drivers is shocking, especially for something they're supposed to like. I'm surprised it's took so long for someone to call him out (he's not the only one on here either).
Storx
22 Sep 2021, 2:14 pm #14

(22 Sep 2021, 1:33 pm)Ambassador But still one of your Customers (if you are a driver and if you are, I'd have you out the door as it's an appalling attitude to have towards a Customer)

This mentality of Monday to Friday in the industry along with rigid service patterns is exactly why the industry is on its arse. It's filled with archaic attitudes and any forward thinking has the life sucked out of  it by a minority of souless drivers who don't give a toss about the people who pay their wages (the company and its passengers)

Just wanted to highlight some of your post as a sentence. It pretty much explains why the industry is in the state it's in. Stanleyone imo is one of the better posters on here and the comments by some enthusiasts towards bus drivers is shocking, especially for something they're supposed to like. I'm surprised it's took so long for someone to call him out (he's not the only one on here either).

22 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm #15

If only! I'd be better off living on the dole!
Getting my rent paid for and getting money for sitting around doing sod all!

I'm in the data analysis side of market research, so (and I don't mean to brag) quite a 'skilled' job, one that requires actual qualifications.
On the off chance that you're actually interested in what it entails, I did quite a detailed post about it in the topic about one of the rallies.

Well, I was writing something similar to that earlier, but not quite as polite!! (And decided it wasn't worth the effort so never posted it)

(22 Sep 2021, 2:14 pm)Storx Just wanted to highlight some of your post as a sentence. It pretty much explains why the industry is in the state it's in. Stanleyone imo is one of the better posters on here and the comments by some enthusiasts towards bus drivers is shocking, especially for something they're supposed to like. I'm surprised it's took so long for someone to call him out (he's not the only one on here either).

Call me out on what, speaking my opinion?

Quite frankly, as a customer (and not an 'enthusiast'), I don't care about the drivers. I only care about the bus getting me to where I need to be, when I need to be there. 

Maybe I'm unique in the fact that I can switch from being an 'enthusiast' to being just a 'customer'?
Edited 22 Sep 2021, 2:45 pm by streetdeckfan.
streetdeckfan
22 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm #15

If only! I'd be better off living on the dole!

I'm in the data analysis side of market research, so (and I don't mean to brag) quite a 'skilled' job, one that requires actual qualifications.
On the off chance that you're actually interested in what it entails, I did quite a detailed post about it in the topic about one of the rallies.

Well, I was writing something similar to that earlier, but not quite as polite!! (And decided it wasn't worth the effort so never posted it)

(22 Sep 2021, 2:14 pm)Storx Just wanted to highlight some of your post as a sentence. It pretty much explains why the industry is in the state it's in. Stanleyone imo is one of the better posters on here and the comments by some enthusiasts towards bus drivers is shocking, especially for something they're supposed to like. I'm surprised it's took so long for someone to call him out (he's not the only one on here either).

Quite frankly, as a customer (and not an 'enthusiast'), I don't care about the drivers. I only care about the bus getting me to where I need to be, when I need to be there. 

Maybe I'm unique in the fact that I can switch from being an 'enthusiast' to being just a 'customer'?

Thomas12

22 Sep 2021, 2:51 pm #16
(22 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm)streetdeckfan If only! I'd be better off living on the dole!

I don't care about the drivers. I only care about the bus getting me to where I need to be, when I need to be there."

What a stupid statement - without the drivers, you wouldn't have a bus getting you to where you need to be...
Thomas12
22 Sep 2021, 2:51 pm #16

(22 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm)streetdeckfan If only! I'd be better off living on the dole!

I don't care about the drivers. I only care about the bus getting me to where I need to be, when I need to be there."

What a stupid statement - without the drivers, you wouldn't have a bus getting you to where you need to be...

22 Sep 2021, 2:57 pm #17
(22 Sep 2021, 2:51 pm)Thomas12 I don't care about the drivers. I only care about the bus getting me to where I need to be, when I need to be there."

How nice of you to cut out the context from your quote to fit your agenda.

At the end of the day, it works both ways. If they don't want to work the services that passengers want (or need), then they're going to be out of a job altogether.

It's the job of the operator to make sure drivers and passengers are kept happy.

Plus, you have to remember that people have no legal right to bank holidays or Sundays off work. In fact, a lot of companies now have it in their contracts that staff are expected to work Sundays and bank holidays.

As I said before, people still need to get to work, for a lot of people they're just a normal day, except from the fact that they can't get anywhere using public transport!
streetdeckfan
22 Sep 2021, 2:57 pm #17

(22 Sep 2021, 2:51 pm)Thomas12 I don't care about the drivers. I only care about the bus getting me to where I need to be, when I need to be there."

How nice of you to cut out the context from your quote to fit your agenda.

At the end of the day, it works both ways. If they don't want to work the services that passengers want (or need), then they're going to be out of a job altogether.

It's the job of the operator to make sure drivers and passengers are kept happy.

Plus, you have to remember that people have no legal right to bank holidays or Sundays off work. In fact, a lot of companies now have it in their contracts that staff are expected to work Sundays and bank holidays.

As I said before, people still need to get to work, for a lot of people they're just a normal day, except from the fact that they can't get anywhere using public transport!

Storx

22 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm #18
(22 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm)streetdeckfan Call me out on what, speaking my opinion?

But no-one needs to be out on Boxing Day. If Next wants to do a Boxing Day sale then that's their problem bus driver's shouldn't be expected to work to shuttle a few people to go clothes shopping. when there's plenty other days you can go. Most decent work places won't be open other than the likes of hospitals and neither are the big supermarkets this year either.

The majority of the general public would have respect for driver's as most people would realise that half the things you rant about them are the managers and suits above who should be getting the slack. If GNE and the rest of the industry actually paid a decent page and didn't have morale shot to the bottom then driver's might actually be more willing to do more on their days off such as working Bank Holiday shifts.

You say you don't care about drivers but the comments you make on here give the impression you have a massive grudge against them.
Storx
22 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm #18

(22 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm)streetdeckfan Call me out on what, speaking my opinion?

But no-one needs to be out on Boxing Day. If Next wants to do a Boxing Day sale then that's their problem bus driver's shouldn't be expected to work to shuttle a few people to go clothes shopping. when there's plenty other days you can go. Most decent work places won't be open other than the likes of hospitals and neither are the big supermarkets this year either.

The majority of the general public would have respect for driver's as most people would realise that half the things you rant about them are the managers and suits above who should be getting the slack. If GNE and the rest of the industry actually paid a decent page and didn't have morale shot to the bottom then driver's might actually be more willing to do more on their days off such as working Bank Holiday shifts.

You say you don't care about drivers but the comments you make on here give the impression you have a massive grudge against them.

Andreos1

22 Sep 2021, 3:40 pm #19
(22 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm)Storx But no-one[b] needs to be out on Boxing Day[/b] . If Next wants to do a Boxing Day sale then that's their problem bus driver's shouldn't be expected to work to shuttle a few people to go clothes shopping. when there's plenty other days you can go. Most decent work places won't be open other than the likes of hospitals and neither are the big supermarkets this year either.

Work? Football? Socialising? Family requirements? 
There's many reasons why people may need to go out Boxing Day and need to use public transport. 
The same could be said about Christmas Day too.

I get that drivers have lives to live, but they're working in a service industry.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 Sep 2021, 3:40 pm #19

(22 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm)Storx But no-one[b] needs to be out on Boxing Day[/b] . If Next wants to do a Boxing Day sale then that's their problem bus driver's shouldn't be expected to work to shuttle a few people to go clothes shopping. when there's plenty other days you can go. Most decent work places won't be open other than the likes of hospitals and neither are the big supermarkets this year either.

Work? Football? Socialising? Family requirements? 
There's many reasons why people may need to go out Boxing Day and need to use public transport. 
The same could be said about Christmas Day too.

I get that drivers have lives to live, but they're working in a service industry.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

22 Sep 2021, 3:45 pm #20
(22 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm)Storx But no-one needs to be out on Boxing Day. If Next wants to do a Boxing Day sale then that's their problem bus driver's shouldn't be expected to work to shuttle a few people to go clothes shopping. when there's plenty other days you can go. Most decent work places won't be open other than the likes of hospitals and neither are the big supermarkets this year either.

Actually, they should. Because that's literally their job description! If passengers want a boxing day service, then it should be offered. Boxing day is no different than any other bank holiday.

I don't have a grudge against bus drivers (well, not all of them at least!), I just don't like people who think they should be treated differently because of the job they do. 

Why should bus drivers be entitled to boxing day off when other 'essential' workers aren't? They were happy to be called an essential worker last year, telling everyone how important their job is. But on boxing day they're just like 'nah, you can live without us'.

I'd say the same thing to someone working in a supermarket.
streetdeckfan
22 Sep 2021, 3:45 pm #20

(22 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm)Storx But no-one needs to be out on Boxing Day. If Next wants to do a Boxing Day sale then that's their problem bus driver's shouldn't be expected to work to shuttle a few people to go clothes shopping. when there's plenty other days you can go. Most decent work places won't be open other than the likes of hospitals and neither are the big supermarkets this year either.

Actually, they should. Because that's literally their job description! If passengers want a boxing day service, then it should be offered. Boxing day is no different than any other bank holiday.

I don't have a grudge against bus drivers (well, not all of them at least!), I just don't like people who think they should be treated differently because of the job they do. 

Why should bus drivers be entitled to boxing day off when other 'essential' workers aren't? They were happy to be called an essential worker last year, telling everyone how important their job is. But on boxing day they're just like 'nah, you can live without us'.

I'd say the same thing to someone working in a supermarket.

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average