Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Changes to Services 20, X24, X24A and X34 from Sunday 24 October 2021

Changes to Services 20, X24, X24A and X34 from Sunday 24 October 2021

Changes to Services 20, X24, X24A and X34 from Sunday 24 October 2021

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Train8261

13 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm #2
So basically the X24/A & X34 are going back to there original stands
Train8261
13 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm #2

So basically the X24/A & X34 are going back to there original stands

14 Oct 2021, 3:11 pm #3
(13 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm)Economic505 https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-up...:30:55:838

Shame they are just in the basic B&W printout format...hopefully Stagecoach will produce printed timetables for these changes, though I guess they dont really count as 'major'
stagecoachbusdepot
14 Oct 2021, 3:11 pm #3

(13 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm)Economic505 https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-up...:30:55:838

Shame they are just in the basic B&W printout format...hopefully Stagecoach will produce printed timetables for these changes, though I guess they dont really count as 'major'

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Oct 2021, 4:36 pm #4
I think the change to service 20 has some merit - but I wonder how many of Stagecoach's customers on this route actually travel to the (new) Civic Centre?

In my experience of using this service, a lot of passengers are elderly and alight at Vine Place. The temporary re-routing via Stockton Road and Burdon Road came at the detriment of those passengers and forced them to walk from near Park Lane Interchange to Holmeside, and this will now do the same (albeit from Fawcett Street). The layover period at Fawcett Street doesn't make waiting on the bus to travel to Holmeside particularly attractive.
Dan
14 Oct 2021, 4:36 pm #4

I think the change to service 20 has some merit - but I wonder how many of Stagecoach's customers on this route actually travel to the (new) Civic Centre?

In my experience of using this service, a lot of passengers are elderly and alight at Vine Place. The temporary re-routing via Stockton Road and Burdon Road came at the detriment of those passengers and forced them to walk from near Park Lane Interchange to Holmeside, and this will now do the same (albeit from Fawcett Street). The layover period at Fawcett Street doesn't make waiting on the bus to travel to Holmeside particularly attractive.

14 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm #5
(14 Oct 2021, 4:36 pm)Dan I think the change to service 20 has some merit - but I wonder how many of Stagecoach's customers on this route actually travel to the (new) Civic Centre?

It does seem they have done it just to have 'something' serving the new City Hall site rather than a real attempt to make it more accessible to commuters etc (Service 20 offering links to only a small proportion of the city).  Arguably with that in mind would have made more sense to reverse the loop, addressing the issue of access to Vine Place etc.
stagecoachbusdepot
14 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm #5

(14 Oct 2021, 4:36 pm)Dan I think the change to service 20 has some merit - but I wonder how many of Stagecoach's customers on this route actually travel to the (new) Civic Centre?

It does seem they have done it just to have 'something' serving the new City Hall site rather than a real attempt to make it more accessible to commuters etc (Service 20 offering links to only a small proportion of the city).  Arguably with that in mind would have made more sense to reverse the loop, addressing the issue of access to Vine Place etc.

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Oct 2021, 6:20 pm #6
(14 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm)stagecoachbusdepot It does seem they have done it just to have 'something' serving the new City Hall site rather than a real attempt to make it more accessible to commuters etc (Service 20 offering links to only a small proportion of the city).  Arguably with that in mind would have made more sense to reverse the loop, addressing the issue of access to Vine Place etc.

Indeed and doing it that way wouldn’t be stopping a link that has been in place for many years (the 20 previously running inbound via Holmeside and outbound via Crowtree Leisure Centre).

Obvious argument against doing it that way would be that people have their shopping at that point so possibly better to have a shorter walk for those heading home afterwards.

Not convinced it’s really born from passenger requests but interesting nevertheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
14 Oct 2021, 6:20 pm #6

(14 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm)stagecoachbusdepot It does seem they have done it just to have 'something' serving the new City Hall site rather than a real attempt to make it more accessible to commuters etc (Service 20 offering links to only a small proportion of the city).  Arguably with that in mind would have made more sense to reverse the loop, addressing the issue of access to Vine Place etc.

Indeed and doing it that way wouldn’t be stopping a link that has been in place for many years (the 20 previously running inbound via Holmeside and outbound via Crowtree Leisure Centre).

Obvious argument against doing it that way would be that people have their shopping at that point so possibly better to have a shorter walk for those heading home afterwards.

Not convinced it’s really born from passenger requests but interesting nevertheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm #7
You can see why they have done it tho as any other route would mean withdrawal from Fawcett/John Streeet Unlees they done a u turn at the roundabout only other routes that make sense to divert via The new city hall is the E1/2/6 and make it do its night route. You already have the stagecoach 8 going via there during the day
ThomasBooth123
14 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm #7

You can see why they have done it tho as any other route would mean withdrawal from Fawcett/John Streeet Unlees they done a u turn at the roundabout only other routes that make sense to divert via The new city hall is the E1/2/6 and make it do its night route. You already have the stagecoach 8 going via there during the day

14 Oct 2021, 7:19 pm #8
(14 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm)ThomasBooth123 You can see why they have done it tho as any other route would mean withdrawal from Fawcett/John Streeet Unlees they done a u turn at the roundabout only other routes that make sense to divert via The new city hall is the E1/2/6 and make it do its night route. You already have the stagecoach 8 going via there during the day

Would still serve Fawcett Street if it went in Vine Place out Fawcett and St Mary's.  Is there anything left on John Street to serve anyway?  A shame really that there's no viable alternative to having everything running down there, serving student accomodation and not a lot else.
stagecoachbusdepot
14 Oct 2021, 7:19 pm #8

(14 Oct 2021, 6:36 pm)ThomasBooth123 You can see why they have done it tho as any other route would mean withdrawal from Fawcett/John Streeet Unlees they done a u turn at the roundabout only other routes that make sense to divert via The new city hall is the E1/2/6 and make it do its night route. You already have the stagecoach 8 going via there during the day

Would still serve Fawcett Street if it went in Vine Place out Fawcett and St Mary's.  Is there anything left on John Street to serve anyway?  A shame really that there's no viable alternative to having everything running down there, serving student accomodation and not a lot else.

14 Oct 2021, 7:52 pm #9
John street is dead so is Fawcett street tbh just wilko and the post office I do find it strange the way they put the 20
ThomasBooth123
14 Oct 2021, 7:52 pm #9

John street is dead so is Fawcett street tbh just wilko and the post office I do find it strange the way they put the 20

Acky81

14 Oct 2021, 8:39 pm #10
Should of been Hylton road st Michael’s way vine place fawcett street then st Mary’s way dropping off and picking up for the city hall then back up Hylton road to pennywell

Will this change the 3/20 operation on an evening
Edited 14 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm by Acky81.
Acky81
14 Oct 2021, 8:39 pm #10

Should of been Hylton road st Michael’s way vine place fawcett street then st Mary’s way dropping off and picking up for the city hall then back up Hylton road to pennywell

Will this change the 3/20 operation on an evening

Michael

14 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm #11
(14 Oct 2021, 7:52 pm)ThomasBooth123 John street is dead so is Fawcett street tbh just wilko and the post office I do find it strange the way they put the 20

Whole city centre is dead, its a dump.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm #11

(14 Oct 2021, 7:52 pm)ThomasBooth123 John street is dead so is Fawcett street tbh just wilko and the post office I do find it strange the way they put the 20

Whole city centre is dead, its a dump.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Acky81

14 Oct 2021, 8:45 pm #12
Let’s all jump on the x24 and head to a proper city Michael ha ha
Acky81
14 Oct 2021, 8:45 pm #12

Let’s all jump on the x24 and head to a proper city Michael ha ha

15 Oct 2021, 7:50 am #13

The 20 has a distinct travel pattern, most people alight at St. Michael's/High Street West or Grange Terrace/Stockton Road. People complain enough when the service is a couple of minutes early and terminates on Burdon Road instead of Fawcett Street. The change won't sit well with people faced with two crossings of St. Mary's, and as much as this barmpot council thinks they can focus the town centre on High Street West and the Vaux site , they can't. People still shop daily here, Jacky White's market, Blandford Street, Wilkos... Showing them where £84m of council tax money is vanishing will really please em  Cry

And a further aside, the layover will now come on John Street, which at times can get pretty crowded opposite the old court, which can be a problem as there is still a live bus stop there!

Look at the general demographic, Wilko's and the Post Office are two of the main destinations for pax from Pennywell/Hylton Road.
Edited 15 Oct 2021, 7:55 am by 54APhotography.
54APhotography
15 Oct 2021, 7:50 am #13

The 20 has a distinct travel pattern, most people alight at St. Michael's/High Street West or Grange Terrace/Stockton Road. People complain enough when the service is a couple of minutes early and terminates on Burdon Road instead of Fawcett Street. The change won't sit well with people faced with two crossings of St. Mary's, and as much as this barmpot council thinks they can focus the town centre on High Street West and the Vaux site , they can't. People still shop daily here, Jacky White's market, Blandford Street, Wilkos... Showing them where £84m of council tax money is vanishing will really please em  Cry

And a further aside, the layover will now come on John Street, which at times can get pretty crowded opposite the old court, which can be a problem as there is still a live bus stop there!

Look at the general demographic, Wilko's and the Post Office are two of the main destinations for pax from Pennywell/Hylton Road.

idiot

15 Oct 2021, 8:26 am #14
I think going the other way round would be better stopping outside of marks and sparks
idiot
15 Oct 2021, 8:26 am #14

I think going the other way round would be better stopping outside of marks and sparks

15 Oct 2021, 3:12 pm #15
(14 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm)Michael Whole city centre is dead, its a dump.
I agree 100% went to Newcastle other week shopping with family and was so much better then Sunderland plus you have metrocentre 15mins away too!
ThomasBooth123
15 Oct 2021, 3:12 pm #15

(14 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm)Michael Whole city centre is dead, its a dump.
I agree 100% went to Newcastle other week shopping with family and was so much better then Sunderland plus you have metrocentre 15mins away too!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average