Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Connections 4 Amazon runs

Connections 4 Amazon runs

Connections 4 Amazon runs

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
Michael

17 Oct 2021, 11:03 am #1
Looks like the extension to Amazon in Washington is doing well, spotted this on Dan's Twitter:

Significant passenger growth on our Connections4 service to
@AmazonUK at Follingsby Park has seen additional duplicate runs added to the timetable, with even more to follow from the end of this month. Excellent that so many of their Associates are choosing bus to travel to work

https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/1449426585589800962

Looks like more Amazon runs are being added, which is brilliant.

-------------

As the September changes thread was closed, I had to make a new one - couldn't find an existing thread to place it in.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Oct 2021, 11:03 am #1

Looks like the extension to Amazon in Washington is doing well, spotted this on Dan's Twitter:

@AmazonUK at Follingsby Park has seen additional duplicate runs added to the timetable, with even more to follow from the end of this month. Excellent that so many of their Associates are choosing bus to travel to work

-------------

As the September changes thread was closed, I had to make a new one - couldn't find an existing thread to place it in.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

17 Oct 2021, 11:11 am #2
(17 Oct 2021, 11:03 am)Michael Looks like the extension to Amazon in Washington is doing well, spotted this on Dan's Twitter:

-------------

It's a shame there aren't any bus services for Amazon Durham, the nearest bus stop is Bowburn which is quite a trek.
They had a private bus service from Durham but I believe due to low numbers it was withdrawn.

My brother works there, and now has no choice but to get a lift into work every morning as it's impossible for him to travel by bus and get there on time
streetdeckfan
17 Oct 2021, 11:11 am #2

(17 Oct 2021, 11:03 am)Michael Looks like the extension to Amazon in Washington is doing well, spotted this on Dan's Twitter:

-------------

It's a shame there aren't any bus services for Amazon Durham, the nearest bus stop is Bowburn which is quite a trek.
They had a private bus service from Durham but I believe due to low numbers it was withdrawn.

My brother works there, and now has no choice but to get a lift into work every morning as it's impossible for him to travel by bus and get there on time

Michael

17 Oct 2021, 11:17 am #3
(17 Oct 2021, 11:11 am)streetdeckfan It's a shame there aren't any bus services for Amazon Durham, the nearest bus stop is Bowburn which is quite a trek.

Shame that, did Amazon provide the private service or was it the council?

Amazon should pay for the service, they make enough money to afford it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Oct 2021, 11:17 am #3

(17 Oct 2021, 11:11 am)streetdeckfan It's a shame there aren't any bus services for Amazon Durham, the nearest bus stop is Bowburn which is quite a trek.

Shame that, did Amazon provide the private service or was it the council?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

17 Oct 2021, 11:27 am #4
(17 Oct 2021, 11:17 am)Michael Shame that, did Amazon provide the private service or was it the council?

I believe it was provided by Amazon, but associates had to pay for the travel. 
I don't even think it was at a reduced rate, I may be wrong but I believe it was either £3 a day or £3 per journey.

Amazon Darlington and Amazon Washington seem to have a decent bus service, but Durham doesnt.
It's no wonder that traffic at Thinford coming from Bowburn is an absolute nightmare!
streetdeckfan
17 Oct 2021, 11:27 am #4

(17 Oct 2021, 11:17 am)Michael Shame that, did Amazon provide the private service or was it the council?

I believe it was provided by Amazon, but associates had to pay for the travel. 
I don't even think it was at a reduced rate, I may be wrong but I believe it was either £3 a day or £3 per journey.

Amazon Darlington and Amazon Washington seem to have a decent bus service, but Durham doesnt.
It's no wonder that traffic at Thinford coming from Bowburn is an absolute nightmare!

Adrian

17 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm #5

-------------

I've noticed this and surprised by how many are using it. I was on the one that got to Follingsby (towards Heworth) at 05.41 on Monday morning, and our bus ended up leaving there pretty much full with standees. Despite a Follingsby-Heworth short departing full when we arrived there.

Same goes on the evening runs too. There's always a good few boarding/alighting there.  

I know Arriva were asked about it prior to the development being completed, but nothing came of it, and obviously nothing since either. Believe the private bus was only put on for peak season (run up to Christmas)

Its completely bonkers and short-sighted for Arriva to not divert one of their existing services to serve the Amazon site, or to even work with them similar to what has been done for Follingsby or Darlington.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm #5

-------------

I've noticed this and surprised by how many are using it. I was on the one that got to Follingsby (towards Heworth) at 05.41 on Monday morning, and our bus ended up leaving there pretty much full with standees. Despite a Follingsby-Heworth short departing full when we arrived there.

Same goes on the evening runs too. There's always a good few boarding/alighting there.  

I know Arriva were asked about it prior to the development being completed, but nothing came of it, and obviously nothing since either. Believe the private bus was only put on for peak season (run up to Christmas)

Its completely bonkers and short-sighted for Arriva to not divert one of their existing services to serve the Amazon site, or to even work with them similar to what has been done for Follingsby or Darlington.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

17 Oct 2021, 3:11 pm #6
(17 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm)Adrian I've noticed this and surprised by how many are using it. I was on the one that got to Follingsby (towards Heworth) at 05.41 on Monday morning, and our bus ended up leaving there pretty much full with standees. Despite a Follingsby-Heworth short departing full when we arrived there.

I'd have thought it'd be relatively trivial to divert either the X12 or 56 to Amazon, since they pass very close.
streetdeckfan
17 Oct 2021, 3:11 pm #6

(17 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm)Adrian I've noticed this and surprised by how many are using it. I was on the one that got to Follingsby (towards Heworth) at 05.41 on Monday morning, and our bus ended up leaving there pretty much full with standees. Despite a Follingsby-Heworth short departing full when we arrived there.

I'd have thought it'd be relatively trivial to divert either the X12 or 56 to Amazon, since they pass very close.

Andreos1

17 Oct 2021, 4:16 pm #7

-------------

Excellent news. It's amazing what happens when a bus takes people to places of employment. 
Hopefully it is the start to a range of services to that area and it gives operators inspiration to do it in other areas too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Oct 2021, 4:16 pm #7

-------------

Excellent news. It's amazing what happens when a bus takes people to places of employment. 
Hopefully it is the start to a range of services to that area and it gives operators inspiration to do it in other areas too.

big mac

17 Oct 2021, 6:02 pm #8
Do many use the middle of the night journey on the 4 (the one that starts at 2.06am)?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
17 Oct 2021, 6:02 pm #8

Do many use the middle of the night journey on the 4 (the one that starts at 2.06am)?

17 Oct 2021, 6:37 pm #9
(17 Oct 2021, 6:02 pm)big mac Do many use the middle of the night journey on the 4 (the one that starts at 2.06am)?

Decent loads most nights, not as busy as the early morning runs though, no dupes needed.
deanmachine
17 Oct 2021, 6:37 pm #9

(17 Oct 2021, 6:02 pm)big mac Do many use the middle of the night journey on the 4 (the one that starts at 2.06am)?

Decent loads most nights, not as busy as the early morning runs though, no dupes needed.

Malarkey

17 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm #10
(17 Oct 2021, 4:16 pm)Andreos1 Excellent news. It's amazing what happens when a bus takes people to places of employment. 

They should extend the likes of the 57/58/67/69 from Heworth & Wardley to provide links across Gateshead to Amazon. 

You could even divert the odd 56 along Downhill Lane/Follingsby Lane to Follingby Park to provide links in the peaks back to Sunderland.

Furthermore with the withdrawal of the SNS and the 56 no longer being on diversion via Cherry Blossom Way/A1231 their is no service through the business park area again where Amazon are present alongside Nissan and Vantec, so why not extend the 82 from Waterview Park to Follingsby Park via Cherry Blossom Way and Downhill Lane/Follingsby Lane to Follingsby Park providing a link through multiple core business areas back to Washington. You could even divert the 50 via Cherry Blossom Way/A1231 and Peel Retail Park to Concord in order to provide some improved links from across the entire route.
Malarkey
17 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm #10

(17 Oct 2021, 4:16 pm)Andreos1 Excellent news. It's amazing what happens when a bus takes people to places of employment. 

They should extend the likes of the 57/58/67/69 from Heworth & Wardley to provide links across Gateshead to Amazon. 

You could even divert the odd 56 along Downhill Lane/Follingsby Lane to Follingby Park to provide links in the peaks back to Sunderland.

Furthermore with the withdrawal of the SNS and the 56 no longer being on diversion via Cherry Blossom Way/A1231 their is no service through the business park area again where Amazon are present alongside Nissan and Vantec, so why not extend the 82 from Waterview Park to Follingsby Park via Cherry Blossom Way and Downhill Lane/Follingsby Lane to Follingsby Park providing a link through multiple core business areas back to Washington. You could even divert the 50 via Cherry Blossom Way/A1231 and Peel Retail Park to Concord in order to provide some improved links from across the entire route.

big mac

17 Oct 2021, 6:54 pm #11
(17 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm)Malarkey You could even divert the odd 56 along Downhill Lane/Follingsby Lane to Follingby Park to provide links in the peaks back to Sunderland.

Would the all-night 56 journeys tie in with any of the shift times there?

big mac
17 Oct 2021, 6:54 pm #11

(17 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm)Malarkey You could even divert the odd 56 along Downhill Lane/Follingsby Lane to Follingby Park to provide links in the peaks back to Sunderland.

Would the all-night 56 journeys tie in with any of the shift times there?

17 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm #12
(17 Oct 2021, 6:54 pm)big mac Would the all-night 56 journeys tie in with any of the shift times there?

It already does, that's why there's the 4 during the night.
deanmachine
17 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm #12

(17 Oct 2021, 6:54 pm)big mac Would the all-night 56 journeys tie in with any of the shift times there?

It already does, that's why there's the 4 during the night.

Storx

17 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm #13
(17 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm)Malarkey They should extend the likes of the 57/58/67/69 from Heworth & Wardley to provide links across Gateshead to Amazon. 

The 57, 67 and 69 all go around Wardley in a loop so it'd be rather difficult to split it in half it's quite a diversion going from the Felling Bypass North to Wardley. Also if you diverting the 56 then you're taking buses from Nissan, it's pretty much the only service serving it other than the infrequent 50.

imo I know it's not the right thread but the best 2 services to run along there would be SNE's X24 and X34. The former is never busy anyway really, I'm sure the X34 punters wouldn't mind if in return they got an evening and Sunday service. If you timetabled it right, it would be every 15 minutes and would only take roughly 20 minutes from Newcastle. You'd also give IAMP and Nissan an express service to Newcastle aswell.
Storx
17 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm #13

(17 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm)Malarkey They should extend the likes of the 57/58/67/69 from Heworth & Wardley to provide links across Gateshead to Amazon. 

The 57, 67 and 69 all go around Wardley in a loop so it'd be rather difficult to split it in half it's quite a diversion going from the Felling Bypass North to Wardley. Also if you diverting the 56 then you're taking buses from Nissan, it's pretty much the only service serving it other than the infrequent 50.

imo I know it's not the right thread but the best 2 services to run along there would be SNE's X24 and X34. The former is never busy anyway really, I'm sure the X34 punters wouldn't mind if in return they got an evening and Sunday service. If you timetabled it right, it would be every 15 minutes and would only take roughly 20 minutes from Newcastle. You'd also give IAMP and Nissan an express service to Newcastle aswell.

Malarkey

17 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm #14
(17 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm)Storx The 57, 67 and 69 all go around Wardley in a loop so it'd be rather difficult to split it in half it's quite a diversion going from the Felling Bypass North to Wardley. Also if you diverting the 56 then you're taking buses from Nissan, it's pretty much the only service serving it other than the infrequent 50.

You could do the Wardley Loop in reverse so they go around clockwise rather than anti clockwise but they'd have to go down to White Mare Pool Roundabout then back up the otherside onto Leam Lane then head along to Follingsby Park from their but as you say that would to a significant diversion adding further time to the route.
Malarkey
17 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm #14

(17 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm)Storx The 57, 67 and 69 all go around Wardley in a loop so it'd be rather difficult to split it in half it's quite a diversion going from the Felling Bypass North to Wardley. Also if you diverting the 56 then you're taking buses from Nissan, it's pretty much the only service serving it other than the infrequent 50.

You could do the Wardley Loop in reverse so they go around clockwise rather than anti clockwise but they'd have to go down to White Mare Pool Roundabout then back up the otherside onto Leam Lane then head along to Follingsby Park from their but as you say that would to a significant diversion adding further time to the route.

Keeiajs

17 Oct 2021, 9:46 pm #15

You could upgrade the X20 to Double Deckers (7), and extend it to BowBurn, every 30 mins. 

Or Create a 20A every 20 mins, 20 goes back down to 10. 20A to BowBurn Amazon just from Sunderland to Durham.
Keeiajs
17 Oct 2021, 9:46 pm #15

You could upgrade the X20 to Double Deckers (7), and extend it to BowBurn, every 30 mins. 

Or Create a 20A every 20 mins, 20 goes back down to 10. 20A to BowBurn Amazon just from Sunderland to Durham.

peter

18 Oct 2021, 12:29 am #16
(17 Oct 2021, 9:46 pm)Keeiajs You could upgrade the X20 to Double Deckers (7), and extend it to BowBurn, every 30 mins. 

There's a much bigger commercial risk in GNE extending a service outside of their territory to serve Amazon compared to the Follingsby example. The 4 being revised to serve Amazon was only a very slight variation to the route - not a 20 minute extension. 

I think the problem with the Bowburn site for Arriva is it would mean taking one of the 56/57A/X12 out of Coxhoe which they clearly didn't want to do so again it would involve putting on a new service from Durham to the site which as I said is much more of a commercial risk
peter
18 Oct 2021, 12:29 am #16

(17 Oct 2021, 9:46 pm)Keeiajs You could upgrade the X20 to Double Deckers (7), and extend it to BowBurn, every 30 mins. 

There's a much bigger commercial risk in GNE extending a service outside of their territory to serve Amazon compared to the Follingsby example. The 4 being revised to serve Amazon was only a very slight variation to the route - not a 20 minute extension. 

I think the problem with the Bowburn site for Arriva is it would mean taking one of the 56/57A/X12 out of Coxhoe which they clearly didn't want to do so again it would involve putting on a new service from Durham to the site which as I said is much more of a commercial risk

18 Oct 2021, 12:15 pm #17
(18 Oct 2021, 12:29 am)peter I think the problem with the Bowburn site for Arriva is it would mean taking one of the 56/57A/X12 out of Coxhoe which they clearly didn't want to do so again it would involve putting on a new service from Durham to the site which as I said is much more of a commercial risk

No they wouldn't it would just be a small extension down to the roundabout in front of the building and double back on itself back to the A1 roundabout, effectively the same type of loop the 4 does at Follingsby, absolutely madness that Arriva doesn't have the initiative to do such a move.
deanmachine
18 Oct 2021, 12:15 pm #17

(18 Oct 2021, 12:29 am)peter I think the problem with the Bowburn site for Arriva is it would mean taking one of the 56/57A/X12 out of Coxhoe which they clearly didn't want to do so again it would involve putting on a new service from Durham to the site which as I said is much more of a commercial risk

No they wouldn't it would just be a small extension down to the roundabout in front of the building and double back on itself back to the A1 roundabout, effectively the same type of loop the 4 does at Follingsby, absolutely madness that Arriva doesn't have the initiative to do such a move.

Andreos1

18 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm #18

My initial thoughts were to see connections from places other than Heworth or Washington. Something like the X24 or X34 like Storx suggested.

Finding out where these passengers are coming from and obtaining that data would be ideal.
I'm sure sticking a GNE bod on board a few of the runs would be a quick, cheap and cost effective way of finding out where the demand is coming from.
Assuming that the current set up of forcing everyone to go to Heworth and on to the 4, from places like Hebburn or Jarrow, will continue to work is quite short sighted imo.
They need to step it up and offer alternatives before the cold weather kicks in, before people start to lift share or to be able sort out driving lessons. These 'associates' will get to know each other and inevitably, they will start to develop working relationships.
They've got a captive audience at the mo, but need to maintain or grow it. Otherwise you end up with a 93/94 situation and the inevitable delays with the buses stuck in commuter traffic.

Andreos1
18 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm #18

My initial thoughts were to see connections from places other than Heworth or Washington. Something like the X24 or X34 like Storx suggested.

Finding out where these passengers are coming from and obtaining that data would be ideal.
I'm sure sticking a GNE bod on board a few of the runs would be a quick, cheap and cost effective way of finding out where the demand is coming from.
Assuming that the current set up of forcing everyone to go to Heworth and on to the 4, from places like Hebburn or Jarrow, will continue to work is quite short sighted imo.
They need to step it up and offer alternatives before the cold weather kicks in, before people start to lift share or to be able sort out driving lessons. These 'associates' will get to know each other and inevitably, they will start to develop working relationships.
They've got a captive audience at the mo, but need to maintain or grow it. Otherwise you end up with a 93/94 situation and the inevitable delays with the buses stuck in commuter traffic.

cbma06

18 Oct 2021, 12:41 pm #19

Could Arriva operate certain journeys on service 56 as 56A and run the 56A from Bowburn down past Amazon and continue down the road past Tursdale and then left at roundabout then along the road and enter Conforth to continue normal route with service 56, it would provide more links for Amazon workers, and yes it will miss out Coxhoe altogether, but Coxhoe will still have journeys on the 56 plus the 57 and X1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
18 Oct 2021, 12:41 pm #19

Could Arriva operate certain journeys on service 56 as 56A and run the 56A from Bowburn down past Amazon and continue down the road past Tursdale and then left at roundabout then along the road and enter Conforth to continue normal route with service 56, it would provide more links for Amazon workers, and yes it will miss out Coxhoe altogether, but Coxhoe will still have journeys on the 56 plus the 57 and X1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter

18 Oct 2021, 2:22 pm #20
(18 Oct 2021, 12:15 pm)deanmachine No they wouldn't it would just be a small extension down to the roundabout in front of the building and double back on itself back to the A1 roundabout, effectively the same type of loop the 4 does at Follingsby, absolutely madness that Arriva doesn't have the initiative to do such a move.

The 4 is a high frequency service so it doesn't make much difference - the 56/57/X12 etc are all half hourly services which admittedly offer a 10-minute combined frequency but don't all interwork. Looking at the timetable it would be about a 4 minute round trip to serve Amazon. The 56 timetable is too tight so would need another bus adding in, the 57/57A would be risky cause that would reduce the layover time at Durham before going onto the 49/49A so then that interworking would need to be looked at. The best option would probably be the X12 but then you're extending journey times even further when you've already got the Teeside Park extension. It's all well and good saying Arriva could just extend to serve Amazon but if it was that simple don't you think they'd have already done it like they have in Darlington?
peter
18 Oct 2021, 2:22 pm #20

(18 Oct 2021, 12:15 pm)deanmachine No they wouldn't it would just be a small extension down to the roundabout in front of the building and double back on itself back to the A1 roundabout, effectively the same type of loop the 4 does at Follingsby, absolutely madness that Arriva doesn't have the initiative to do such a move.

The 4 is a high frequency service so it doesn't make much difference - the 56/57/X12 etc are all half hourly services which admittedly offer a 10-minute combined frequency but don't all interwork. Looking at the timetable it would be about a 4 minute round trip to serve Amazon. The 56 timetable is too tight so would need another bus adding in, the 57/57A would be risky cause that would reduce the layover time at Durham before going onto the 49/49A so then that interworking would need to be looked at. The best option would probably be the X12 but then you're extending journey times even further when you've already got the Teeside Park extension. It's all well and good saying Arriva could just extend to serve Amazon but if it was that simple don't you think they'd have already done it like they have in Darlington?

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average