Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East GNE/GCT running

GNE/GCT running

GNE/GCT running

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

V514DFT

09 Nov 2021, 1:51 am #1
So last night i went to catch the 21:36 11 from The Royal Quays and obviously it was a GCT running on behalf of GNE all i have to say is SHOCKING
1) he was 4 minutes late
2) his attitude stank
3) he tried to charge me £1.80 to Howdon when im sure its a £1 evening fare, when i challenged him,his exact words were 'yeah but im not Go North East'
Seriously GNE please,strip GCT from running your services,i genuinely fear that if they continue to do so,then its gonna have a knock on effect (services being withdrawn) cus of GCT's god awful reputation

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
09 Nov 2021, 1:51 am #1

So last night i went to catch the 21:36 11 from The Royal Quays and obviously it was a GCT running on behalf of GNE all i have to say is SHOCKING
1) he was 4 minutes late
2) his attitude stank
3) he tried to charge me £1.80 to Howdon when im sure its a £1 evening fare, when i challenged him,his exact words were 'yeah but im not Go North East'
Seriously GNE please,strip GCT from running your services,i genuinely fear that if they continue to do so,then its gonna have a knock on effect (services being withdrawn) cus of GCT's god awful reputation

Kind Regards
Tez

09 Nov 2021, 3:53 am #2
(09 Nov 2021, 1:51 am)V514DFT So last night i went to catch the 21:36 11 from The Royal Quays and obviously it was a GCT running on behalf of GNE all i have to say is SHOCKING
1) he was 4 minutes late
2) his attitude stank

GNE are too cheap to run the 11 on evenings and weekends so Nexus has to pick up the slack and pay GCT to run them. As such he's right, it's not a GNE service.

The only way GNE could 'strip' them of running the service would be to take it back on commercially.

While I believe GCT reluctantly accept GNE tickets, you can't buy GNE's promotional tickets on board, including the £1 evening fare

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
09 Nov 2021, 3:53 am #2

(09 Nov 2021, 1:51 am)V514DFT So last night i went to catch the 21:36 11 from The Royal Quays and obviously it was a GCT running on behalf of GNE all i have to say is SHOCKING
1) he was 4 minutes late
2) his attitude stank

GNE are too cheap to run the 11 on evenings and weekends so Nexus has to pick up the slack and pay GCT to run them. As such he's right, it's not a GNE service.

The only way GNE could 'strip' them of running the service would be to take it back on commercially.

While I believe GCT reluctantly accept GNE tickets, you can't buy GNE's promotional tickets on board, including the £1 evening fare

MurdnunoC

09 Nov 2021, 8:00 am #3
(09 Nov 2021, 3:53 am)streetdeckfan GNE are too cheap to run the 11 on evenings and weekends so Nexus has to pick up the slack and pay GCT to run them. As such he's right, it's not a GNE service.

Exactly.

As for the running four minutes late, while it may be frustrating, it falls within the standards expected by the Traffic Commissioner (services should run no more than one minute early or five minutes late at timing points on route). And it's not like GNE are ever late are they?
MurdnunoC
09 Nov 2021, 8:00 am #3

(09 Nov 2021, 3:53 am)streetdeckfan GNE are too cheap to run the 11 on evenings and weekends so Nexus has to pick up the slack and pay GCT to run them. As such he's right, it's not a GNE service.

Exactly.

As for the running four minutes late, while it may be frustrating, it falls within the standards expected by the Traffic Commissioner (services should run no more than one minute early or five minutes late at timing points on route). And it's not like GNE are ever late are they?

09 Nov 2021, 8:12 am #4
(09 Nov 2021, 8:00 am)MurdnunoC Exactly.

Honestly, I'd consider 4 minutes late on a 30 minute frequency to be basically running to schedule. You can easily lose 4 minutes with a few badly parked cars or hitting a few traffic lights at the wrong time.
streetdeckfan
09 Nov 2021, 8:12 am #4

(09 Nov 2021, 8:00 am)MurdnunoC Exactly.

Honestly, I'd consider 4 minutes late on a 30 minute frequency to be basically running to schedule. You can easily lose 4 minutes with a few badly parked cars or hitting a few traffic lights at the wrong time.

BusLoverMum

09 Nov 2021, 10:43 pm #5
1) he was 4 minutes late
2) his attitude stank
Four. Minutes. Late? ::shock::
BusLoverMum
09 Nov 2021, 10:43 pm #5

1) he was 4 minutes late
2) his attitude stank
Four. Minutes. Late? ::shock::

Keeiajs

09 Nov 2021, 10:54 pm #6
I hate all these contracts, companies operating routes on a night and sunday, but another one Monday-Sat, just either select the to run it all the time, or not.
Keeiajs
09 Nov 2021, 10:54 pm #6

I hate all these contracts, companies operating routes on a night and sunday, but another one Monday-Sat, just either select the to run it all the time, or not.

peter

10 Nov 2021, 1:48 am #7
(09 Nov 2021, 10:54 pm)Keeiajs I hate all these contracts, companies operating routes on a night and sunday, but another one Monday-Sat, just either select the to run it all the time, or not.

It's not that simple tho, fundamentally GNE are the cause of the problem because they chose to give up the evening and Sunday services. If they cared that much about the evening/sunday services being run by another operator, they could take them on commercially again. You can't get mad at Nexus for not awarding the contract to GNE, cause it's their prerogative to give the contract to the lowest bidder. I'm sure everyone, including GNE, would prefer for Nexus to award the services to GNE, as it would be better from a passengers point of view. But when considering the two solutions to the problem, it should arguably be GNE who ends up out of pocket, taking them back on commercially (or even agreeing to match GCT's bid in order to keep the service), not Nexus paying more for them to operate a service one might argue they could, or should, operate without support at all.
peter
10 Nov 2021, 1:48 am #7

(09 Nov 2021, 10:54 pm)Keeiajs I hate all these contracts, companies operating routes on a night and sunday, but another one Monday-Sat, just either select the to run it all the time, or not.

It's not that simple tho, fundamentally GNE are the cause of the problem because they chose to give up the evening and Sunday services. If they cared that much about the evening/sunday services being run by another operator, they could take them on commercially again. You can't get mad at Nexus for not awarding the contract to GNE, cause it's their prerogative to give the contract to the lowest bidder. I'm sure everyone, including GNE, would prefer for Nexus to award the services to GNE, as it would be better from a passengers point of view. But when considering the two solutions to the problem, it should arguably be GNE who ends up out of pocket, taking them back on commercially (or even agreeing to match GCT's bid in order to keep the service), not Nexus paying more for them to operate a service one might argue they could, or should, operate without support at all.

Train8261

10 Nov 2021, 3:37 am #8
Gne will never take back the NT routes on Evening/Sunday. Especially since they now have the 18/18A on a Sunday/Evening

Gne were for some reason odd enough to get the 136/135/82/84/85 back of GCT but for some reason. Didn't for the NT routes
Train8261
10 Nov 2021, 3:37 am #8

Gne will never take back the NT routes on Evening/Sunday. Especially since they now have the 18/18A on a Sunday/Evening

Gne were for some reason odd enough to get the 136/135/82/84/85 back of GCT but for some reason. Didn't for the NT routes

Adrian

10 Nov 2021, 8:25 am #9
(10 Nov 2021, 1:48 am)peter It's not that simple tho, fundamentally GNE are the cause of the problem because they chose to give up the evening and Sunday services. If they cared that much about the evening/sunday services being run by another operator, they could take them on commercially again. You can't get mad at Nexus for not awarding the contract to GNE, cause it's their prerogative to give the contract to the lowest bidder. I'm sure everyone, including GNE, would prefer for Nexus to award the services to GNE, as it would be better from a passengers point of view. But when considering the two solutions to the problem, it should arguably be GNE who ends up out of pocket, taking them back on commercially (or even agreeing to match GCT's bid in order to keep the service), not Nexus paying more for them to operate a service one might argue they could, or should, operate without support at all.

Agree 100%

Also need to get out of the mantra on here that Go North East are good and that means independents are bad. If you have concerns over quality, then raise them to the authority that has awarded the contract. GCT might not replicate the GNE £1 fares on an evening, but that's an oversight (or perhaps decision) by Nexus when awarding the contract. Nothing to do with the operator.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 Nov 2021, 8:25 am #9

(10 Nov 2021, 1:48 am)peter It's not that simple tho, fundamentally GNE are the cause of the problem because they chose to give up the evening and Sunday services. If they cared that much about the evening/sunday services being run by another operator, they could take them on commercially again. You can't get mad at Nexus for not awarding the contract to GNE, cause it's their prerogative to give the contract to the lowest bidder. I'm sure everyone, including GNE, would prefer for Nexus to award the services to GNE, as it would be better from a passengers point of view. But when considering the two solutions to the problem, it should arguably be GNE who ends up out of pocket, taking them back on commercially (or even agreeing to match GCT's bid in order to keep the service), not Nexus paying more for them to operate a service one might argue they could, or should, operate without support at all.

Agree 100%

Also need to get out of the mantra on here that Go North East are good and that means independents are bad. If you have concerns over quality, then raise them to the authority that has awarded the contract. GCT might not replicate the GNE £1 fares on an evening, but that's an oversight (or perhaps decision) by Nexus when awarding the contract. Nothing to do with the operator.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

10 Nov 2021, 9:21 am #10
(10 Nov 2021, 8:25 am)Adrian Agree 100%

It's the whole fanboy mentality that I can't stand. When people say they will ONLY use GNE services and not Arriva, or vice versa.
And will defend everything they do to the point that it's embarrassing.
The best ones are on the GNE Twitter when Joe public posts something negative and the 'well, actually...' squad comes along, although I haven't seen that for a while.

(Oh, and don't even get me started on the whole MG/Alex/Stenning circlejerk that goes on!)

I have the same opinion on Apple fanboys as well. I can't stand Apple as a company, but I've had iPhones in the past and have a Mac as my second computer.

Why can't people just look objectively at things, praise a company when they do something good, but also be able to criticise them when they haven't?

As much as I post negativity about GCT and Arriva on here, I'm fairly sure I've posted more about GNE despite them being my preferred operator.

streetdeckfan
10 Nov 2021, 9:21 am #10

(10 Nov 2021, 8:25 am)Adrian Agree 100%

It's the whole fanboy mentality that I can't stand. When people say they will ONLY use GNE services and not Arriva, or vice versa.
The best ones are on the GNE Twitter when Joe public posts something negative and the 'well, actually...' squad comes along, although I haven't seen that for a while.

(Oh, and don't even get me started on the whole MG/Alex/Stenning circlejerk that goes on!)

I have the same opinion on Apple fanboys as well. I can't stand Apple as a company, but I've had iPhones in the past and have a Mac as my second computer.

Why can't people just look objectively at things, praise a company when they do something good, but also be able to criticise them when they haven't?

As much as I post negativity about GCT and Arriva on here, I'm fairly sure I've posted more about GNE despite them being my preferred operator.

Keeiajs

10 Nov 2021, 10:55 am #11
(10 Nov 2021, 9:21 am)streetdeckfan It's the whole fanboy mentality that I can't stand. When people say they will ONLY use GNE services and not Arriva, or vice versa.

GNE aswell if my prefered operator, I just think their wesbite is better, quality of the buses, amenities on board, investing and everytime I have been on arriva/sc I have had a bad experience, I only go on another operator if I need to and their is no other way. I think GNE is just simplier.
Keeiajs
10 Nov 2021, 10:55 am #11

(10 Nov 2021, 9:21 am)streetdeckfan It's the whole fanboy mentality that I can't stand. When people say they will ONLY use GNE services and not Arriva, or vice versa.

GNE aswell if my prefered operator, I just think their wesbite is better, quality of the buses, amenities on board, investing and everytime I have been on arriva/sc I have had a bad experience, I only go on another operator if I need to and their is no other way. I think GNE is just simplier.

Storx

10 Nov 2021, 4:47 pm #12

It's because there's people in the company who engage with them once in a bluemoon so they see them as friends (almost) and treat them as celebrities, in a weird way, whereas Arriva and Stagecoach are just suits to them. In reality all three are the same let's be honest. It's a bit weird but each to their own getting attachment to companies.
Storx
10 Nov 2021, 4:47 pm #12

It's because there's people in the company who engage with them once in a bluemoon so they see them as friends (almost) and treat them as celebrities, in a weird way, whereas Arriva and Stagecoach are just suits to them. In reality all three are the same let's be honest. It's a bit weird but each to their own getting attachment to companies.

morritt89

10 Nov 2021, 5:01 pm #13
Re: £1 Evening fare

I'm not sure if it's still the case but when it was introduced, I remember it being raised in the depot that it couldn't be sold on secured services e.g. 135/136 as Nexus set the fares. Unsure if its still the case.
morritt89
10 Nov 2021, 5:01 pm #13

Re: £1 Evening fare

I'm not sure if it's still the case but when it was introduced, I remember it being raised in the depot that it couldn't be sold on secured services e.g. 135/136 as Nexus set the fares. Unsure if its still the case.

10 Nov 2021, 5:45 pm #14
(10 Nov 2021, 4:47 pm)Storx It's because there's people in the company who engage with them once in a bluemoon so they see them as friends (almost) and treat them as celebrities, in a weird way, whereas Arriva and Stagecoach are just suits to them. In reality all three are the same let's be honest. It's a bit weird but each to their own getting attachment to companies.

I suppose that's one of the disadvantages of MG being so active on Twitter (I think he brought it up on one of the Facebook Lives).

I also mentioned once on here a while back that I'd spoke to MG (can't remember what it was about, probably a complaint knowing me!), and I got a PM from another member asking for his email address as they wanted to email him directly, when I refused to give it out (despite it being easy to figure out with a bit of Googling) they asked why I had it and why I refused to give it to them!
streetdeckfan
10 Nov 2021, 5:45 pm #14

(10 Nov 2021, 4:47 pm)Storx It's because there's people in the company who engage with them once in a bluemoon so they see them as friends (almost) and treat them as celebrities, in a weird way, whereas Arriva and Stagecoach are just suits to them. In reality all three are the same let's be honest. It's a bit weird but each to their own getting attachment to companies.

I suppose that's one of the disadvantages of MG being so active on Twitter (I think he brought it up on one of the Facebook Lives).

I also mentioned once on here a while back that I'd spoke to MG (can't remember what it was about, probably a complaint knowing me!), and I got a PM from another member asking for his email address as they wanted to email him directly, when I refused to give it out (despite it being easy to figure out with a bit of Googling) they asked why I had it and why I refused to give it to them!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average