Menu

North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions Duplicate Accounts

Duplicate Accounts

Duplicate Accounts

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
idiot

12 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm #1
Whilst I can't prove anything does anyone else suspect that someone is using mutliple accounts... anyone else think the same?!
idiot
12 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm #1

Whilst I can't prove anything does anyone else suspect that someone is using mutliple accounts... anyone else think the same?!

Michael

12 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm #2
(12 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm)idiot Whilst I can't prove anything does anyone else suspect that someone is using mutliple accounts... anyone else think the same?!

Not sure, i'll keep a eye out though

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm #2

(12 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm)idiot Whilst I can't prove anything does anyone else suspect that someone is using mutliple accounts... anyone else think the same?!

Not sure, i'll keep a eye out though

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm #3

I can prove everything by looking at a user's IP address. Perks of being an admin, eh?

If you'd like to PM me details of the user(s) you think have duplicate accounts? Wink
Dan
12 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm #3

I can prove everything by looking at a user's IP address. Perks of being an admin, eh?

If you'd like to PM me details of the user(s) you think have duplicate accounts? Wink

Andreos1

12 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm #4
(12 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm)Dan I can prove everything by looking at a user's IP address. Perks of being an admin, eh?

Must admit to having suspicions, but haven't been able to put a nail on it.

What happens with shared/common ips?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm #4

(12 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm)Dan I can prove everything by looking at a user's IP address. Perks of being an admin, eh?

Must admit to having suspicions, but haven't been able to put a nail on it.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jan 2014, 9:15 pm #5
(12 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm)andreos1 Must admit to having suspicions, but haven't been able to put a nail on it.

We don't use Cloudflare anymore (at my request - it seemingly increased downtime), so the IP addresses aren't likely to be shared by any two users. Cloudflare spoofed them before so it was obviously a lot harder to check them then.

I've confirmed the accounts idiot had in mind are indeed two different people, but if you ever think one person has two accounts, drop me a PM. No major ruling against it, but I would prefer it if people didn't have alter-egos on the forum to prevent confusion.
Dan
12 Jan 2014, 9:15 pm #5

(12 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm)andreos1 Must admit to having suspicions, but haven't been able to put a nail on it.

We don't use Cloudflare anymore (at my request - it seemingly increased downtime), so the IP addresses aren't likely to be shared by any two users. Cloudflare spoofed them before so it was obviously a lot harder to check them then.

I've confirmed the accounts idiot had in mind are indeed two different people, but if you ever think one person has two accounts, drop me a PM. No major ruling against it, but I would prefer it if people didn't have alter-egos on the forum to prevent confusion.

Andreos1

12 Jan 2014, 9:21 pm #6
(12 Jan 2014, 9:15 pm)Dan We don't use Cloudflare anymore (at my request - it seemingly increased downtime), so the IP addresses aren't likely to be shared by any two users. Cloudflare spoofed them before so it was obviously a lot harder to check them then.

Still haven't been able to identify 100% who the other party is yet, but will pm when I think I have sussed it.
Similar writing styles to someone, but haven't worked out who yet.

Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 9:21 pm #6

(12 Jan 2014, 9:15 pm)Dan We don't use Cloudflare anymore (at my request - it seemingly increased downtime), so the IP addresses aren't likely to be shared by any two users. Cloudflare spoofed them before so it was obviously a lot harder to check them then.

Still haven't been able to identify 100% who the other party is yet, but will pm when I think I have sussed it.

gtom

Banned

12 Jan 2014, 11:52 pm #7
(12 Jan 2014, 9:21 pm)andreos1 Still haven't been able to identify 100% who the other party is yet, but will pm when I think I have sussed it.

[Image: peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi3.jpg]
gtom
12 Jan 2014, 11:52 pm #7

(12 Jan 2014, 9:21 pm)andreos1 Still haven't been able to identify 100% who the other party is yet, but will pm when I think I have sussed it.

[Image: peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi3.jpg]

Andreos1

12 Jan 2014, 11:56 pm #8
(12 Jan 2014, 11:52 pm)gtomlinson [Image: peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi3.jpg]

Have you got one without s tache? Mines long gone.
Still have the flasher mac though Wink

Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 11:56 pm #8

(12 Jan 2014, 11:52 pm)gtomlinson [Image: peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi3.jpg]

Have you got one without s tache? Mines long gone.
Still have the flasher mac though Wink

Adrian

14 Jan 2014, 9:37 am #9
(14 Jan 2014, 9:01 am)Scott Schools and colleges are likely to uses shared IP adresses, so may cause some issues.

We can lookup IP ranges using the RIPE database. Anything owned to a a school, college, or medium - large business should flag up as a private address/range.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Jan 2014, 9:37 am #9

(14 Jan 2014, 9:01 am)Scott Schools and colleges are likely to uses shared IP adresses, so may cause some issues.

We can lookup IP ranges using the RIPE database. Anything owned to a a school, college, or medium - large business should flag up as a private address/range.

Andreos1

17 Jan 2014, 5:41 pm #10
It isn't related to duplicate accounts as such, but more the ip addresses.

I was under the impression that someone using a public network such as the one on the GNE buses, McDonalds, East Coast trains etc shared a common network ip.

Similarly, those on a mobile network shared one too.
When I googled the ip my device was giving out, there were literally hundreds of pages relating to that ip and how common it was.

Just a scenario here, but say one of the suspected duplicate accounts was surfing the net, using the wifi on a Go North East bus.
I then happen to board that bus, log on in my phone, one of the mods happen to be checking the ip's after a post like the one from idiot and voila, I am suddenly a suspect in duplicate profile gate.

My next question was related to locations of ip addresses.
Based around the settings I have on fb, I get an email when I log in from a new device.
When I was on the three network for a dongle and it was installed into a new machine, fb notified me of a log in from Slough.
Checks revealed that the log in was me, when sitting at home in DH4 7 - a good few miles from Slough. The Slough connection came from where three were based (or something like that).
So, getting back to my point, can our ip addresses be traced to a specific location and if so, how accurate is it?
Will it locate where I am sitting now (if a mod wishes to share my location at time of posting) or will the system give a generic location according the network I am using?

edit: Just found the ip address my mobile is giving out now.
It has traced the owner and the location varies between central London, a field near Skipton and just off the M74 near Lockerbie.
The owner is correct, but I am nowhere near either of those locations.

The other points/questions still stand and are genuine ones.
Edited 17 Jan 2014, 6:36 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
17 Jan 2014, 5:41 pm #10

It isn't related to duplicate accounts as such, but more the ip addresses.

I was under the impression that someone using a public network such as the one on the GNE buses, McDonalds, East Coast trains etc shared a common network ip.

Similarly, those on a mobile network shared one too.
When I googled the ip my device was giving out, there were literally hundreds of pages relating to that ip and how common it was.

Just a scenario here, but say one of the suspected duplicate accounts was surfing the net, using the wifi on a Go North East bus.
I then happen to board that bus, log on in my phone, one of the mods happen to be checking the ip's after a post like the one from idiot and voila, I am suddenly a suspect in duplicate profile gate.

My next question was related to locations of ip addresses.
Based around the settings I have on fb, I get an email when I log in from a new device.
When I was on the three network for a dongle and it was installed into a new machine, fb notified me of a log in from Slough.
Checks revealed that the log in was me, when sitting at home in DH4 7 - a good few miles from Slough. The Slough connection came from where three were based (or something like that).
So, getting back to my point, can our ip addresses be traced to a specific location and if so, how accurate is it?
Will it locate where I am sitting now (if a mod wishes to share my location at time of posting) or will the system give a generic location according the network I am using?

edit: Just found the ip address my mobile is giving out now.
It has traced the owner and the location varies between central London, a field near Skipton and just off the M74 near Lockerbie.
The owner is correct, but I am nowhere near either of those locations.

The other points/questions still stand and are genuine ones.

gtom

Banned

17 Jan 2014, 7:15 pm #11
Whilst I can't comment on the software the forum uses to track IP's

Generally, IP addresses from ISPs, WIFI hotspots etc will be dynamic IPs. As dynamic IP's are asigned by the provider it can be troublesome to locate them. I'm banned from Wikipedia because my provider (BT) has issued a set of dynamic IP's where someone has mischeviously edited (I can register with Wiki but can't edit anonymously)

You may find that dynamic IP's only trace back to your ISP's server or general location. Mine traces back to Newcastle from Low Fell for example, with Sky it used to trace to Leeds

The only way to specifically confirm an IP is a court order.

And of course many people use proxy servers meaning its impossible to trace back
Edited 17 Jan 2014, 7:16 pm by gtom.
gtom
17 Jan 2014, 7:15 pm #11

Whilst I can't comment on the software the forum uses to track IP's

Generally, IP addresses from ISPs, WIFI hotspots etc will be dynamic IPs. As dynamic IP's are asigned by the provider it can be troublesome to locate them. I'm banned from Wikipedia because my provider (BT) has issued a set of dynamic IP's where someone has mischeviously edited (I can register with Wiki but can't edit anonymously)

You may find that dynamic IP's only trace back to your ISP's server or general location. Mine traces back to Newcastle from Low Fell for example, with Sky it used to trace to Leeds

And of course many people use proxy servers meaning its impossible to trace back

Andreos1

18 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm #12
(17 Jan 2014, 7:15 pm)gtomlinson Whilst I can't comment on the software the forum uses to track IP's

Haven't tried wikipedia, but twitter often blocks me when using my phone and my company email provider is regularly blocked by customers/clients provider, presumably due to a limited range of ip addresses.

My knowledge of ip addresses is limited, however what you have said makes sense.

Andreos1
18 Jan 2014, 2:20 pm #12

(17 Jan 2014, 7:15 pm)gtomlinson Whilst I can't comment on the software the forum uses to track IP's

Haven't tried wikipedia, but twitter often blocks me when using my phone and my company email provider is regularly blocked by customers/clients provider, presumably due to a limited range of ip addresses.

My knowledge of ip addresses is limited, however what you have said makes sense.

Andreos1

28 Sep 2016, 11:33 am #13

Not sure if it is a case of people activating accounts in new names and leaving their old accounts or using both, but I have to hold my hands up and say my suspicions have been aroused again.

Andreos1
28 Sep 2016, 11:33 am #13

Not sure if it is a case of people activating accounts in new names and leaving their old accounts or using both, but I have to hold my hands up and say my suspicions have been aroused again.

Andreos1

11 Oct 2017, 7:10 pm #14
Have we got a touch of the 'Lee Sinclairs' in the ANE rare and odd working thread?

A fairly regular contributor in that thread and a new member to the forum seem to be very similar to each other in more ways than one...
There could be a reason for it like.

Andreos1
11 Oct 2017, 7:10 pm #14

Have we got a touch of the 'Lee Sinclairs' in the ANE rare and odd working thread?

A fairly regular contributor in that thread and a new member to the forum seem to be very similar to each other in more ways than one...

12 Oct 2017, 11:35 pm #15
(11 Oct 2017, 7:10 pm)Andreos1 Have we got a touch of the 'Lee Sinclairs' in the ANE rare and odd working thread?

Different person.  Wink
omnicity4659
12 Oct 2017, 11:35 pm #15

(11 Oct 2017, 7:10 pm)Andreos1 Have we got a touch of the 'Lee Sinclairs' in the ANE rare and odd working thread?

Different person.  Wink

Andreos1

15 Dec 2019, 7:22 pm #16
Do we have a case of multiple accounts in use again? 

Two accounts stand out in particular. Any way of checking/finding out?

Andreos1
15 Dec 2019, 7:22 pm #16

Do we have a case of multiple accounts in use again? 

Michael

15 Dec 2019, 7:50 pm #17
(15 Dec 2019, 7:22 pm)Andreos1 Do we have a case of multiple accounts in use again? 

Not sure tbh

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 Dec 2019, 7:50 pm #17

(15 Dec 2019, 7:22 pm)Andreos1 Do we have a case of multiple accounts in use again? 

Not sure tbh

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

13 Oct 2022, 11:18 am #18
It's getting to the stage where it's not even difficult to work out these any more.

No idea what the technical, back office side shows. But I reckon there's 3 accounts which are actually one person.

Andreos1
13 Oct 2022, 11:18 am #18

It's getting to the stage where it's not even difficult to work out these any more.

No idea what the technical, back office side shows. But I reckon there's 3 accounts which are actually one person.

Rob44

13 Oct 2022, 11:28 am #19
(13 Oct 2022, 11:18 am)Andreos1 It's getting to the stage where it's not even difficult to work out these any more.

I've been thinking this myself for a while but didn't know how to phrase it without putting anyone's nose out of joint
Rob44
13 Oct 2022, 11:28 am #19

(13 Oct 2022, 11:18 am)Andreos1 It's getting to the stage where it's not even difficult to work out these any more.

I've been thinking this myself for a while but didn't know how to phrase it without putting anyone's nose out of joint

Adrian

13 Oct 2022, 12:03 pm #20

Do you want to DM me and I can look into it? Cheers.

Adrian
13 Oct 2022, 12:03 pm #20

Do you want to DM me and I can look into it? Cheers.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average