North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

tom.robinson206

When is the strike supposed to be, and will it be all depots?
(09 Mar 2013, 5:36 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Not the answer you want to hear but.....all depots

(09 Mar 2013, 5:44 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Currently it is suppose to be Friday 15, Monday 18 and Saturday 23, but with all things like this, it can be called off if needed to be.

Smile

tom.robinson206

(10 Mar 2013, 1:39 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]Not the answer you want to hear but.....all depots

Probably a stupid question, but will this include things like scholars buses and the 'Nexus' services?
anyone else think it should be 36x?! x36 hasn't not long being in use!
More than likely get called off anyway I think, look at it this way would GNE really want to lose out on 3 days travel takings, which I assume would be quite a substantial amount of money for that small period.

As for who will operate the services if does go ahead I haven't a clue, I can see Nexus although some may say it nothing to do with them, stepping in and sorting it all out.

I would think Independent companies like Weardale would operate a few services if need be like what they do for Arriva on Boxing Day. I can also see Arriva operating some services as GNE operates some of there services on boxing day also, so they could return the favour so to speak.

Just going to have to wait and see what happens.
(10 Mar 2013, 2:42 pm)tom.robinson206 wrote [ -> ]
(10 Mar 2013, 1:39 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]Not the answer you want to hear but.....all depots

Probably a stupid question, but will this include things like scholars buses and the 'Nexus' services?

It all depends how many drivers are in the unions that are striking, I'd guess.

If the driver of Billy's school bus is striking - who's going to be there to drive the bus? Having said that, it may be in Go North East's interest to get another driver to know the route before the strike who isn't going to be striking so that those services go unharmed. As they aren't commercial, Go North East really can't make the decisions!

I'll have a word with a few people, see what I can gather. Until then, someone else on this forum may have a more certain answer. Smile

(10 Mar 2013, 2:54 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]More than likely get called off anyway I think, look at it this way would GNE really want to lose out on 3 days travel takings, which I assume would be quite a substantial amount of money for that small period.

As for who will operate the services if does go ahead I haven't a clue, I can see Nexus although some may say it nothing to do with them, stepping in and sorting it all out.

I would think Independent companies like Weardale would operate a few services if need be like what they do for Arriva on Boxing Day. I can also see Arriva operating some services as GNE operates some of there services on boxing day also, so they could return the favour so to speak.

A strike is meant to cause as much havoc as possible so that a company sees the views of the employees. Wasn't there a strike in 2009 or so that caused Washington and Deptford to have a substantial amount of services cut off? Only the main services stayed on, but even they had their frequency reduced massively. Think that was something to do with drivers rejecting a 2% pay rise or something along those lines - they wanted a higher pay rise. I'm not sure what the result of the strike was (whether the drivers got their requested pay rise or had to stick with the 2%) but I'm fairly positive it would have been the former rather than the latter.

It's all to do with Nexus really. On Boxing Day, they're the ones that have the services secured for the day. They take them on, just ask for GNE or whoever else to operate them. If Nexus have the money to splash, they'll help members of the public out. All goes down well in their name at the end of the day, doesn't it? VOSA registrations though... Hmm...

(10 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm)idiot wrote [ -> ]anyone else think it should be 36x?! x36 hasn't not long being in use!

Always disliked having the 'X' at the end of the service number. Something about it really bugs me - doesn't quite have the same ring as the 'X' in front and then the number! Doubt it'll be confusing though - they barely follow the same route, do they?

tom.robinson206

I really hope they don't strike - or if they do, just having everything on a reduced Sunday service or something like that.

Thanks Daniel Smile
(10 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm)tom.robinson206 wrote [ -> ]
(10 Mar 2013, 2:54 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]More than likely get called off anyway I think, look at it this way would GNE really want to lose out on 3 days travel takings, which I assume would be quite a substantial amount of money for that small period.

I really hope it doesn't - or if it does, just having everything on a reduced Sunday service or something like that.

See above - edited my post.
I'll try and find details of that strike in 2009 or so.
(10 Mar 2013, 2:54 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]Always disliked having the 'X' at the end of the service number. Something about it really bugs me - doesn't quite have the same ring as the 'X' in front and then the number! Doubt it'll be confusing though - they barely follow the same route, do they?

Yes, but some people are easily confused.
(10 Mar 2013, 3:03 pm)idiot wrote [ -> ]
(10 Mar 2013, 2:54 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]Always disliked having the 'X' at the end of the service number. Something about it really bugs me - doesn't quite have the same ring as the 'X' in front and then the number! Doubt it'll be confusing though - they barely follow the same route, do they?

Yes, but some people are easily confused.

My point still stands - the X36/X37 have been long gone since November 2012. A new year has commenced and the new proposed 'X36' doesn't follow the same route. As soon as it turns out of Park Lane, it'll go a different way. Even in Park Lane, it'll serve a different stand - middle as opposed to edge...The X36 will be under a brand name this time around too.
Really shouldn't be confusing...
(10 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm)tom.robinson206 wrote [ -> ]

I really hope it doesn't - or if it does, just having everything on a reduced Sunday service or something like that.

Lets think about it, months of talking has lead to nowhere, so unless there is more talking done, it will go ahead. You say GNE don't want to lose takings which will be right, but where will the extra money come from to pay what the unions are wanting, somebody will have to give.

Most drivers will not cross a picket line even if they are not in a union, so cannot really operate a reduced Sunday service as this will still take quite a large amount of drivers.

(10 Mar 2013, 2:42 pm)tom.robinson206 wrote [ -> ]

Yes
(10 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Lets think about it, months of talking has lead to nowhere, so unless there is more talking done, it will go ahead. You say GNE don't want to lose takings which will be right, but where will the extra money come from to pay what the unions are wanting, somebody will have to give.

Most drivers will not cross a picket line even if they are not in a union, so cannot really operate a reduced Sunday service as this will still take quite a large amount of drivers.

I don't know if, in 2009 (the strike that I mentioned above), drivers were temporarily brought over from other depots to cover for those striking or not, but it seems an approximation of a Sunday service was being covered that day?
Obviously won't be possible to have a Sunday service if that was the case, as all depots are affected this time around.

NEB Admin Team

(10 Mar 2013, 3:13 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]
(10 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Lets think about it, months of talking has lead to nowhere, so unless there is more talking done, it will go ahead. You say GNE don't want to lose takings which will be right, but where will the extra money come from to pay what the unions are wanting, somebody will have to give.

I don't know if, in 2009 (the strike that I mentioned above), drivers were temporarily brought over from other depots to cover for those striking or not, but it seems an approximation of a Sunday service was being covered that day?
Obviously won't be possible to have a Sunday service if that was the case, as all depots are affected this time around.

Previous strike day was on 24 August 2009 at Washington and Deptford only. A token £1 flat fare was in operation on that day (made the most of a trip to Newcastle!) - and Yellow Bus Volvo Olympians were drafted in for operation on a number of routes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8216664.stm

http://www.travelnortheast.co.uk/news/st...Today.html
(10 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm)Brandon wrote [ -> ]
(10 Mar 2013, 3:13 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]

Previous strike day was on 24 August 2009 at Washington and Deptford only. A token £1 flat fare was in operation on that day (made the most of a trip to Newcastle!) - and Yellow Bus Volvo Olympians were drafted in for operation on a number of routes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8216664.stm

http://www.travelnortheast.co.uk/news/st...Today.html

Indeed so - don't think I'd made note of the first link but certainly made a note of the latter in one of my previous posts regarding the strike. :p

Looked at a few that I didn't post and they all seemed to be saying the same thing really though!
GNE have posted on a post today about the strike.. more info will be given tommorow (11.3.13), for strike action.

The post.

When will there be strike action? What bus services will be affected

Go North East: There will be a update on this matter on Monday.

I really hope stagecoach don't strike, im at work early this week -.-

-----
Has anyone got a leaflet for the X3 changes, its not included in the North Sunderland one but the 9 is, don't know if the X3 will have a separate leaflet.

NEB Admin Team

(10 Mar 2013, 4:14 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]GNE have posted on a post today about the strike.. more info will be given tommorow (11.3.13), for strike action.

The post.

When will there be strike action? What bus services will be affected

Go North East: There will be a update on this matter on Monday.

I really hope stagecoach don't strike, im at work early this week -.-

-----
Has anyone got a leaflet for the X3 changes, its not included in the North Sunderland one but the 9 is, don't know if the X3 will have a separate leaflet.

I haven't seen the North Sunderland consultation, but it would make sense to have a separate leaflet for changes to 9 and X3. You say the 9 is mentioned in the North Sunderland leaflet about it increasing to every 20 minutes to cover for loss of 26, but perhaps there are further changes planned that would not impact residents of North Sunderland. Maybe changes are planned for North Tyneside too. I struggle to see how a 20 minute service to/from North Shields could be justified when the half hourly service seems to suit fine.

I plan on doing the 9, 26 then 36 on my way back home tomorrow again, so I'll see if there are different leaflets out on the buses.
[/quote]
I haven't seen the North Sunderland consultation, but it would make sense to have a separate leaflet for changes to 9 and X3. You say the 9 is mentioned in the North Sunderland leaflet about it increasing to every 20 minutes to cover for loss of 26, but perhaps there are further changes planned that would not impact residents of North Sunderland. Maybe changes are planned for North Tyneside too. I struggle to see how a 20 minute service to/from North Shields could be justified when the half hourly service seems to suit fine.

I plan on doing the 9, 26 then 36 on my way back home tomorrow again, so I'll see if there are different leaflets out on the buses.
[/quote]

Same but tbh i just think GNE want to brand the 9 so they increasing the PRV haha

Im trying to work out the PVR for the proposed services.

So far it looks like AND these are just my guesses, sorry i know its far to early but im bored, its a Sunday.

9 - 6 Buses PRV, unless thier are other changes past Jarrow, nothing is confirmed yet.

26 - will drop to 3 PVR - Hope this means it will get good buses, if its changing.

36 - Will take around 1 hour (a guess) every 30 mins on a loop, after the enterprise park it will go towards B&Q and enter the town from Green Terrance (my guess) - 3 buses, just to be safe.

36 on peak times - Can see it increasing to 4, depending on what they class as peak time buses and that PVR.

X36 - 4 buses

99 - Probleys be sticking to its 4 PRV

X3 - No idea what is happening.
'North Tyne Links' 517 on the 17 back in 2012 as seen here
The leaflet I picked up the 2C titled "Sunderland Bus Briefing" is for Sunderland/Houghton and Seaham Areas.

It includes information for the following services

38/38A/38B
And the new X7

There nothing about the 9/X3/99/26/36 and the new X36 at all. Which I don't understand considering these services operate in the Sunderland Area
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23