North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04 Dec 2013, 5:04 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]One wonders how it's acceptable for one enthusiast to be invited into the depot to take photographs but for others, it's not the same story?
I'd appreciate that these photographs could be taken for Go North East if they were to be used on their website and/or Social Media pages (as was the case with the same author's "Venture" Solo SR photograph), but this demonstrates fairness and equality to all enthusiasts at its best as the photographs have been uploaded to the author's photo sharing website first.
Hmm...

I'm usually very supportive of Go North East and warmly invite them to use any of the photographs published on my photostream (some of you may have even noticed one of my Saltwell Park pics on GNE's Facebook a week or so ago), but I don't see how one enthusiast can be invited to take photographs inside of a depot while others can't?

The photographer has a good relationship with the directors of GNE and has been doing this for some time now. He also asks permission to put these photos on the NERBP flickr site, clearly it has been granted.

The outburst by "Liam" speculating about the photographer's personal life (in further posts) is nothing short of outrageous. Do I, and others, detect a spot of jealousy here?

There are good reasons why the public are prohibited from bus depots. The photographer in this case is trusted to act accordingly - and that is the difference.
(05 Dec 2013, 3:19 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]The Red Arrows B9s are starting to look a bit scruffy on the inside. The interior pale blue, although looking quite modern, has a tendency to make 'dirt' more visible, and it certainly shows on the Red Arrows examples. It obviously doesn't help that a lot of users don't have any respect for the vehicles, and insist on throwing half eaten sandwiches, their baby's greggs pasty, Metro newspapers, and various other items all over the floor.

There seems to be a big link between Washington and pasties Tongue

I do agree. Most buses with the new pale blue interior begin to look dirty after even a short while. I think they should really consider using grey or black instead.
First post to see if I'm up and running. Not much to start with except to say that a Fast Cat has again appeared on the 20 and should be heading back from Durham towards Sunderland about now. Just noticed it shortly before heading home for the day. Unfortunately I couldn't see which vehicle it was but it does seem increasingly more common for Deptford to kick anything out on this route.
(05 Dec 2013, 3:31 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I think
20/20A - deckers
8/78/78A - Citaros
17/17A - Versa or Street Lite
57 - Versa/Streetlite
67/69- Versa/Streetlite
M2/M3/W5/W6 - Versa/Streetlite
North Tyne Links - Solo SR

Think I'm at about right on numbers.. Including spares

I'd thought either Citaros or the 11.7m Versas on the Lime. The B10s at present are solid, but of course they're coming up to 13-15 years old.
(05 Dec 2013, 3:49 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I'd thought either Citaros or the 11.7m Versas on the Lime. The B10s at present are solid, but of course they're coming up to 13-15 years old.

Wouldn't fancy Versas on the Lime, it's quite an arduous route that would soon wear a lightweight bus out.

Not sure what on the market at the moment would suit the Lime - probably go with the Citaro on that one
(05 Dec 2013, 10:30 am)andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Just tried checking the website to see (www.simplygo.com/gold-standard/) and it doesn't stipulate which are/aren't.
There is a thread about Gold Standard in the forum somewhere, it may have been clarified in there.

What's gold standard. It doesn't exist anymore all services run to same standard
Looks who's photos have just appeared on GNE's Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...5880875709&type=1

CatsFast101

(05 Dec 2013, 4:37 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Looks who's photos have just appeared on GNE's Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...5880875709&type=1

I think it's clear the person in question (not having any idea who it is) is obviously either been employed or voluntary employed by GNE to do such photographs, the venture buses in a row was very clearly a publicity shot and not just for a bus spotters flickr page! I think people should stop getting their knickers in a twist! Btw this is in no way aimed particularly at Adam I am just following/commenting on posts from last night too.
(05 Dec 2013, 3:29 pm)RGR756V wrote [ -> ]The photographer has a good relationship with the directors of GNE and has been doing this for some time now. He also asks permission to put these photos on the NERBP flickr site, clearly it has been granted.

The outburst by "Liam" speculating about the photographer's personal life (in further posts) is nothing short of outrageous. Do I, and others, detect a spot of jealousy here?

There are good reasons why the public are prohibited from bus depots. The photographer in this case is trusted to act accordingly - and that is the difference.

Add 'some of' in front of 'the directors' and you've got that spot on. I don't get why you're mentioning this when it has already been established both by me and others before your post, however?

You may detect jealousy, but you're incorrectly identifying that feeling if so. What I am glad to hear is that 'others' detect it too - it means that those posts have been passed around secret groups and the like, and I've got what I wanted. Some people are far too stubborn to sign up to 'fantasy island forum', but those who aren't have clearly done us the favour and passed those messages on to the parties concerned. We've even gained one or two new members as a result, so thanks to you (or anyone else, if you haven't) for passing it on!
The original posts were not designed to slate the photographer, but were designed to raise awareness of the divide between enthusiasts and the opportunities GNE are missing out on as a result of said divide. I am confident in saying that the message has reached certain members of GNE staff who I wanted to see the message, and even those who aren't members have seen the message in some format. Nothing may change, but I'm glad that my views have been heard.

Yes, there are good reasons why members of the public are prohibited from entering bus depots - and the same reasons apply to enthusiasts too. Why should one enthusiast be treated differently to another enthusiast? As I see it: one rule for one, and another for everyone else.

(05 Dec 2013, 4:55 pm)CatsFast101 wrote [ -> ]I think it's clear the person in question (not having any idea who it is) is obviously either been employed or voluntary employed by GNE to do such photographs, the venture buses in a row was very clearly a publicity shot and not just for a bus spotters flickr page! I think people should stop getting their knickers in a twist! Btw this is in no way aimed particularly at Adam I am just following/commenting on posts from last night too.

Everyone was aware that the photograph was a publicity shot (albeit a poor one at that) - that comes as no surprise to anyone, and it was obvious that the photographs would soon appear on GNE's Social Media pages, even if the photographer has published them to his Flickr photostream before Go North East has published them.

My problem is that certain enthusiasts are being granted permission to enter depots, while others are not - especially when this has led to certain enthusiasts getting photographs of vehicles which have just arrived to the fleet, when they otherwise wouldn't have. The interior shots of the B9 that arrived yesterday are quite startling... An enthusiast has been given permission to be one of the first people to walk around a bus which has just been delivered to the fleet... If the vehicle hadn't actually been checked over because it had just arrived, and an enthusiast is wandering around inside of it taking photos - what if there was some damage? If this damage was actually caused at Wrights, surely they could claim that the damage could have been caused by the enthusiast and not them at the factory?

I am well aware that there are certain Go North East employees who own DSLR cameras and take them to work too, and they could produce photographs of the same (if not better) quality than the ones they are currently being provided with. Sent a link to one of the photographs published on Flickr yesterday to a guy I know at Deptford, and he seriously questioned whether that was the kind of photo GNE were really looking for - and he went on further to explain how his iPhone 5 could produce a better quality shot (though this is relying on the vehicles within the publicity shot to be lined up properly, without looking like they've been pulled out quickly while they have five minutes to spare). That's a whole different matter though, and I've suggested in other areas of the forum what GNE could be doing when it comes to promotional shots to maximise potential reach.

Sorry for the delay in response and I also apologise for adding more to this prolonged (and rather pointless) debate - I had thought it was finished with last night when NEB's own "Official DAF Appreciation Officer" told us to put our claws away! Tongue
Hehehe. We really need a favourite button.

CatsFast101

(05 Dec 2013, 7:07 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Everyone was aware that the photograph was a publicity shot (albeit a poor one at that) - that comes as no surprise to anyone, and it was obvious that the photographs would soon appear on GNE's Social Media pages, even if the photographer has published them to his Flickr photostream before Go North East has published them.

My problem is that certain enthusiasts are being granted permission to enter depots, while others are not - especially when this has led to certain enthusiasts getting photographs of vehicles which have just arrived to the fleet, when they otherwise wouldn't have. The interior shots of the B9 that arrived yesterday are quite startling... An enthusiast has been given permission to be one of the first people to walk around a bus which has just been delivered to the fleet... If the vehicle hadn't actually been checked over because it had just arrived, and an enthusiast is wandering around inside of it taking photos - what if there was some damage? If this damage was actually caused at Wrights, surely they could claim that the damage could have been caused by the enthusiast and not them at the factory?

I am well aware that there are certain Go North East employees who own DSLR cameras and take them to work too, and they could produce photographs of the same (if not better) quality than the ones they are currently being provided with. Sent a link to one of the photographs published on Flickr yesterday to a guy I know at Deptford, and he seriously questioned whether that was the kind of photo GNE were really looking for - and he went on further to explain how his iPhone 5 could produce a better quality shot (though this is relying on the vehicles within the publicity shot to be lined up properly, without looking like they've been pulled out quickly while they have five minutes to spare). That's a whole different matter though, and I've suggested in other areas of the forum what GNE could be doing when it comes to promotional shots to maximise potential reach.

Sorry for the delay in response and I also apologise for adding more to this prolonged (and rather pointless) debate - I had thought it was finished with last night when NEB's own "Official DAF Appreciation Officer" told us to put our claws away! Tongue

The problem is that you keep saying 'Enthusiast'. I think it's clear this person is not just any enthusiast who's fancied popping along I think GNE must have wanted publicity shots and have decided to use a bus enthusiast to do so (Grated maybe his connections with GNE management probably helped him) but I think it's good they've used an enthusiast rather than getting/paying (I assume this person is most likely working free of charge? Maybe he gets a reduced Buzzfare?!) an official photographer to do this or getting any randomer to take some quick snaps on an a camera phone. As you have pointed out Dan, GNE seem keen to use enthusiasts photos such as your own on their Facebook etc.

You mentioned vehicle damage, why would an photographer/bus enthusiast be more likely to cause this than a driver/supervisor/engineer at the depot? I don't understand that one. A lot of bus spotters/enthusiasts need to stop this 'Competition' between each other we've seen reported issues of trespassing because of people becoming far too eager to get the 'first shot' of a new bus or a newly branded/painted bus. I think everyone needs to stop throwing their toys out of the pram otherwise GNE will start getting fed up with bus enthusiasts and at the moment GNE are very enthusiast friendly, don't spoil it.
(05 Dec 2013, 7:07 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Add 'some of' in front of 'the directors' and you've got that spot on. I don't get why you're mentioning this when it has already been established both by me and others before your post, however?

You may detect jealousy, but you're incorrectly identifying that feeling if so. What I am glad to hear is that 'others' detect it too - it means that those posts have been passed around secret groups and the like, and I've got what I wanted. Some people are far too stubborn to sign up to 'fantasy island forum', but those who aren't have clearly done us the favour and passed those messages on to the parties concerned. We've even gained one or two new members as a result, so thanks to you (or anyone else, if you haven't) for passing it on!
The original posts were not designed to slate the photographer, but were designed to raise awareness of the divide between enthusiasts and the opportunities GNE are missing out on as a result of said divide. I am confident in saying that the message has reached certain members of GNE staff who I wanted to see the message, and even those who aren't members have seen the message in some format. Nothing may change, but I'm glad that my views have been heard.

Yes, there are good reasons why members of the public are prohibited from entering bus depots - and the same reasons apply to enthusiasts too. Why should one enthusiast be treated differently to another enthusiast? As I see it: one rule for one, and another for everyone else.

Everyone was aware that the photograph was a publicity shot (albeit a poor one at that) - that comes as no surprise to anyone, and it was obvious that the photographs would soon appear on GNE's Social Media pages, even if the photographer has published them to his Flickr photostream before Go North East has published them.

Well I was under the impression this was a discussion forum and therefore I wanted my twopence worth.

That particular photo of the Solos outside the depot mirrors photos taken in years gone by which we see now in history books of a similar thing, a line of brand new Leylands or Guys outside the depot....hopefully that photo will feature in books of the future.

As for enthusiast visits well I go back to the "trust" issue and you can decide amongst yourselves who is to blame for why bus companies do not allow general enthusiast depot visits.

I've made my point and will let it lie from hereon
(05 Dec 2013, 4:55 pm)Liam wrote [ -> ]Outburst? Clearly stating facts, old man! It was hardly a personal insult to be fair. I could sit here and lash the dick until I'm done, but I doubt I'd waste my time talking about him when I can just laugh at him. The only thing I'm jealous about is my lack of a free bus pass.

I could opt to be a bus 'shagger' and spend hours of my time stood on a street corner, bus station or interchange, but I don't want to. I could opt to be a bus driver, sitting on a bus all day and pretending I'm some big 'lad' in the canteen, but its not what I want to do with my life. Those who do can continue to do so in the knowledge that I think they are plebs.

Am I being too controversial questioning someone who I really have no desire in acknowledging, yet alone speaking too?

No you must not be a bus shagger. You wouldn't have the time as from this reply your cockiness and big headed-ness make it sound like you spend all of your time with your head up your own arse! Think a new hobby a better option for you considering your following buses and you think those involved with the industry are plebs. They are hard workers contributing to economy paying taxes to keep those bus spotters that choose not to work in cameras and everyday off use them!
(05 Dec 2013, 7:07 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Sorry for the delay in response and I also apologise for adding more to this prolonged (and rather pointless) debate - I had thought it was finished with last night when NEB's own "Official DAF Appreciation Officer" told us to put our claws away! Tongue

Enjoyed that. Was a fairly coherent rant.

No idea about enthusiast politics or prams or jealousy or Fantasy Island mind.

But I feel let down by you Dan. More importantly the DAFs feel let down.
(05 Dec 2013, 7:54 pm)Liam wrote [ -> ]Free bus pass holder, so no need!

Not sure why said individual is used for photography shoots, the photos are crap and have zero advertising effectiveness. The quality of the photos are at a level my nanna could achieve. We then have the issue of location, which isn't of relevance to any passengers who will be using the vehicles. They will see a grim industrial metal shed. Who wants to see that? No one, but enthusiasts! Those photographs are far more suited to an enthusiast audience than a general public audience.

Now that we have established a total failure relating to the photographs, I ask why should said individual be allowed to take photographs of the latest arrival? He wasn't there for that purpose. He was there for the purpose of obtained advertisement material relating to the Venture Solo SRs. With regards to the B9, it arrived as said individual was at Saltmeadows. I doubt the vehicle was booked in and checked before said individual ventured inside of the vehicle. Perhaps the arrival of the B9 is the reasoning behind the crap advertisement material produced?

If I am to take photographs for press purposes, will I be allowed access to the depot facilities to take photographs? I am not taking photographs for "enthusiast" purposes after all, but for press related purposes.

I doubt that the person mentioned was allowed access to any vehicles without being accompanied by senior Go North East management
At the end of the day they are a private business.

They don't have an obligation to enthusiasts or anyone but shareholders and passengers. They can let it who they want wherever they want.

It is coming across very petty and fairly unpleasant and a some people are looking like immature children stamping their feet. All I have to say on it m
Can they not divert the 88A threw boldon asda make new links to hebburn shops and that
(05 Dec 2013, 9:15 pm)speedwheels22 wrote [ -> ]Can they not divert the 88A threw boldon asda make new links to hebburn shops and that

if they divert the 88A threw boldon asda it would add journey time onto the journe from hebburn shops and that
[Image: michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif]
(05 Dec 2013, 9:31 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ][Image: michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif]

Salty or Sweet?