North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(11 Apr 2015, 7:46 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I agree with your suggestion that the X18 should have NSA's based on the heavy tourist usage of the route. The X93 is due to get them very soon so it would make sense to implement this on the X18 too.

Do you know how the X18 has performed since it's MAX launch, to justify 5 brand new buses it must have been doing alright in the first place, but on my journeys down on a Sunday I seemed to notice an increase in passenger numbers. Would be interesting if it's grown more than a certain other Ashington route Wink Tongue 
(11 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Do you know how the X18 has performed since it's MAX launch, to justify 5 brand new buses it must have been doing alright in the first place, but on my journeys down on a Sunday I seemed to notice an increase in passenger numbers. Would be interesting if it's grown more than a certain other Ashington route Wink Tongue 

Unfortunately I don't but I think it will be interesting to see how the X15 and X18 do in the summer season, with a more visible brand and upgraded vehicles. X18 is likely to be more seasonal than the X15 though I would have thought? The X14 would be more commuter based than touristy, though I know Rothbury does pull in some tourists just not to the same numbers as the Northumberland coast.

Can't help but feel there needs to be more working with other operators to promote connections like Spirit Buses do at Alnwick & Rothbury... even with trains at Alnmouth...
(11 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Unfortunately I don't but I think it will be interesting to see how the X15 and X18 do in the summer season, with a more visible brand and upgraded vehicles. X18 is likely to be more seasonal than the X15 though I would have thought? The X14 would be more commuter based than touristy, though I know Rothbury does pull in some tourists just not to the same numbers as the Northumberland coast.

Can't help but feel there needs to be more working with other operators to promote connections like Spirit Buses do at Alnwick & Rothbury... even with trains at Alnmouth...

Aye, I think it'll be better if they get the NSA's sorted by then as well, you need to put a word in Wink 

I think even if they put timetables in each others vehicles it would be a start, and maybe a joint ANE/Spirit ticket? 

From my journeys there was a small tourist presence however this was in the winter on a Sunday afternoon, so it's still pretty good. Craster and Seahouses seemed to get a good amount of passengers, then after Alnwick there was always a good load

I'd like to see B8RLE's replace the Omnicities in a couple of years time, or more new Enviro's if the X15 grows. All my journeys on the X18 down were handled very well by the various vehicles I had (7513/7/20/30(?)/31(?)/32) - oh and 4653

I must ask, however, are the headrests in 7529-33 the intended MAX colour, as they look a lot better in my opinion?
(11 Apr 2015, 8:57 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Aye, I think it'll be better if they get the NSA's sorted by then as well, you need to put a word in Wink 

I think even if they put timetables in each others vehicles it would be a start, and maybe a joint ANE/Spirit ticket? 

From my journeys there was a small tourist presence however this was in the winter on a Sunday afternoon, so it's still pretty good. Craster and Seahouses seemed to get a good amount of passengers, then after Alnwick there was always a good load

I'd like to see B8RLE's replace the Omnicities in a couple of years time, or more new Enviro's if the X15 grows. All my journeys on the X18 down were handled very well by the various vehicles I had (7513/7/20/30(?)/31(?)/32) - oh and 4653

I must ask, however, are the headrests in 7529-33 the intended MAX colour, as they look a lot better in my opinion?

I must admit I've never been on this network of routes north of Morpeth so I'm limited in my knowledge, definitely on my "to-do" list this summer though! Such a long way to go in a day from my area - that's my excuse anyway  Tongue
I'll get the train upto Berwick and come all the way down from there probably... Need to increase my knowledge of our network if I'm going to be the face of Arriva on here... lol! 
(11 Apr 2015, 9:03 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I must admit I've never been on this network of routes north of Morpeth so I'm limited in my knowledge, definitely on my "to-do" list this summer though! Such a long way to go in a day from my area - that's my excuse anyway  Tongue
I'll get the train upto Berwick and come all the way down from there probably... Need to increase my knowledge of our network if I'm going to be the face of Arriva on here... lol! 

I really would recommend getting the X18 all the way down from Berwick, especially if you get one of 7529-33! Big Grin (takes 4 hours to get back to Newcastle like Wink ) 
Just seen this on Flickr, the vinyls look poorly applied over the black window surrounds, think they should've painted them:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/49804259@N03/17111015812/

(not strictly NE, but I couldn't think where else to put it, as it is still relevant, when you compare it to Sapphire vehicles in the North East) 
(11 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Do you know how the X18 has performed since it's MAX launch, to justify 5 brand new buses it must have been doing alright in the first place, but on my journeys down on a Sunday I seemed to notice an increase in passenger numbers. Would be interesting if it's grown more than a certain other Ashington route Wink Tongue 

I have used it during the week a few times, over the winter.
Apart from running early (5mins+ at times); loads seem to be ok. From observation, it seems to be locals using it, although I did see an older couple having a picnic on it once - guessing they were visitors and the November weather put them off eating it outdoors.
The recovery time in Alnwick was painful to watch, even after I had got off to get my next bus.

(11 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Unfortunately I don't but I think it will be interesting to see how the X15 and X18 do in the summer season, with a more visible brand and upgraded vehicles. X18 is likely to be more seasonal than the X15 though I would have thought? The X14 would be more commuter based than touristy, though I know Rothbury does pull in some tourists just not to the same numbers as the Northumberland coast.

The timetable indicates alternatives, such as the 418, but I agree on the Alnmouth aspect.
Think I suggested elsewhere in the forum, something very similar about train integration.
Timetables are listed in the station (lacking Spirit timetables), but the lack of a regular service in the winter, doesn't benefit anyone around Alnmouth or the station, who is needing to travel north.
Why did the 35/35a not get a full StreetLite allocation? Also why did it not have a launch like the 306?
Has anyone else heard the new M-Ticket radio advert? 
Must be the most dramatic bus advert ever Big Grin 
(12 Apr 2015, 10:02 am)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Has anyone else heard the new M-Ticket radio advert? 
Must be the most dramatic bus advert ever Big Grin 

I've seen the adverts on buses. "Mobile Ticket App II" "This time it's PERSONAL".

Why can't they just say, "look were not paying millions on paper so just buy a phone and download the app".
New Enivro 400 NK15ACF is being used as a staff shuttle between Faverdale and Town today.
This is not the staff shuttle that interworks with the 7.
(12 Apr 2015, 11:36 am)John_R wrote [ -> ]New Enivro 400 NK15ACF is being used as a staff shuttle between Faverdale and Town today.

There's always a temptation to take a new vehicle for a 'cabbie'.

Just because . . .
Right - here is my suggestion for buses (for the 2016 order) in the Ashington and Blyth area. As StreetLites are the main choice for single deckers I'll make the suggestion around them;

Ashington
  • 9 new ADL Enviro400s for Sapphire X21/X22, displacing the worst of 7501-7509 to disposal and the better ones to transfer to another subsidy of Arriva.
  • 4 new ADL Enviro400s to MAX specification: 35/35a/100 (35 Newbiggin - Morpeth, 35a Woodhorn - Morpeth, 100 Morpeth - Kirkley Hall - Cramlington/Blyth)
  • 7 new Wright StreetLite WFs for MPD services, 5 MAX spec for X14/33/57A and 2 with  standard spec (57A Whitley Bay - Morpeth, 33 Morpeth and Lancaster Park, X14 Morpeth Newcastle express and 57 Whitley Bay - Ashington/North Seaton Demesne)
Blyth
  • 5 new Wright StreetLite Micro-Hybrids, standard spec for service 1 
    (Blyth - Wansbeck Hospital/Widdrington)
  • 2 new Wright StreetLite WFs for X14/33/57A, MAX spec 
    (57A Whitley Bay - Morpeth, 33 Morpeth and Lancaster Park, X14 Morpeth Newcastle express)
  • 5 new Wright StreetLite Micro-Hybrids, standard spec for service 2 
    (Blyth - Morpeth Kirkhill)
OR...
  • 5 new ADL Enviro200 MMCs, standard spec for service 1
    (Blyth - Wansbeck Hospital/Widdrington)
  • 5 new ADL Enviro200 MMCs, standard spec for service 2
        (Blyth - Morpeth Kirkhill)
  • 2 new ADL Enviro200 MMCs, MAX spec for X14/33/57A
    (57A Whitley Bay - Morpeth, 33 Morpeth and Lancaster Park, X14 Morpeth Newcastle express)
Key:
Sapphire:- High back e-Leather seats, free wifi, power sockets and next stop announcements
MAX:- (Original MAX spec) High back e-Leather seats and free wifi
Standard:- (Original standard spec) e-Leather seats and free wifi
(12 Apr 2015, 11:36 am)John_R wrote [ -> ]New Enivro 400 NK15ACF is being used as a staff shuttle between Faverdale and Town today.
This is not the staff shuttle that interworks with the 7.
Any ideas what times the shuttle will be leaving Darlington Town Centre?
(12 Apr 2015, 12:01 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Right - here is my suggestion for buses (for the 2016 order) in the Ashington and Blyth area. As StreetLites are the main choice for single deckers I'll make the suggestion around them;

Ashington
  • 9 new ADL Enviro400s for Sapphire X21/X22, displacing the worst of 7501-7509 to disposal and the better ones to transfer to another subsidy of Arriva.
  • 4 new ADL Enviro400s to MAX specification (whatever that is now, but to include same features as 1579-1581) for routes 35/35a/100
  • 7 new Wright StreetLite WFs for MPD services, 5 MAX spec for X14/33/57A and 2 with 1579-1581 spec
Blyth

• 5 new Wright StreetLite Micro-Hybrids, MAX spec for service 1 OR 1501-1505 refurbished to MAX spec for service 1

• 8 new Wright StreetLite WFs for MPD services, 2 MAX spec for X14/33/57A and 5 with 1579-1581 spec

If the 1 gets full size buses, then the 2 also should, the passenger numbers are very similar. 
(12 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]then the 2 also should, the passenger numbers are very similar. 

Cheers, would a full size bus be able to do Curly Kews? There are some rather tight bends on that hill which might have a couple of bumps with full size buses.
(12 Apr 2015, 12:38 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Cheers, would a full size bus be able to do Curly Kews? There are some rather tight bends on that hill which might have a couple of bumps with full size buses.

I see Commanders and Pulsars on there all the time, so I'd imagine do. I'm pretty sure the Ikarus' used to frequently do the 2 as well. 
(12 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]I see Commanders and Pulsars on there all the time, so I'd imagine do. I'm pretty sure the Ikarus' used to frequently do the 2 as well. 

Updated it now. Also it's easier to read and includes the original features.
MAX spec is only for Interurban express services.
(12 Apr 2015, 12:54 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]MAX spec is only for Interurban express services.

I'll change the 1 to standard spec Smile 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28