North East Buses

Full Version: VOLTRA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(26 Apr 2021, 8:51 am)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]I’ve just been looking at this image and wondering how many people (non-enthusiasts) actually see this pass and realise it’s actually fully electric. 
I feel this was a bit of a missed opportunity livery/branding wise for GNE to really shout about ultra clean green public transport and that its them who are delivering it.

Maybe at least some electric-blue variation of the ‘environmental leaves’ could be applied towards the rear with ‘Fully electric, zero emissions’ written within rather than the Euro 6 wording obviously.

https://flic.kr/p/2kV2E2J

Strangely enough, my mother pointed out one of the VOLTRA buses and asked if it was was one of the new electric ones when we were in Newcastle on Saturday.
I didn't even know she knew GNE had electric buses!
(26 Apr 2021, 8:51 am)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]I’ve just been looking at this image and wondering how many people (non-enthusiasts) actually see this pass and realise it’s actually fully electric. 
I feel this was a bit of a missed opportunity livery/branding wise for GNE to really shout about ultra clean green public transport and that its them who are delivering it.

Maybe at least some electric-blue variation of the ‘environmental leaves’ could be applied towards the rear with ‘Fully electric, zero emissions’ written within rather than the Euro 6 wording obviously.

It literally says "Zero Emission Electric Bus" on the side.
(26 Apr 2021, 9:01 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Strangely enough, my mother pointed out one of the VOLTRA buses and asked if it was was one of the new electric ones when we were in Newcastle on Saturday.
I didn't even know she knew GNE had electric buses!

Could she ever be classed as a bus-novice though having you as a son. Wink Surely you talk buses in front of her.

(26 Apr 2021, 10:11 am)deanmachine wrote [ -> ]It literally says "Zero Emission Electric Bus" on the side.

Ah yes, that line of small grey text up there on the silver background.   Dodgy
(26 Apr 2021, 10:50 am)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Could she ever be classed as a bus-novice though having you as a son. Wink Surely you talk buses in front of her.

Did you just assume my identity?!  Big Grin Believe it or not, some people have lives outside of buses! I tend to discuss more important things at home like plumbing or 

To my knowledge, my mother can only recognise 3 buses, the Arriva X46, GNE X21 and 'The Angel', and the only reason she knows the X46 is forever shouting at it when she's late for work and it's trundling along at 30 in a 60! I've no idea how she knows the X21, and every bugger knows the Angel.

I was genuinely surprised when she pointed out one of the new Yutongs since I've never mentioned them to her!
(26 Apr 2021, 11:19 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Did you just assume my identity?!  Big Grin Believe it or not, some people have lives outside of buses! I tend to discuss more important things at home like plumbing or 

To my knowledge, my mother can only recognise 3 buses, the Arriva X46, GNE X21 and 'The Angel', and the only reason she knows the X46 is forever shouting at it when she's late for work and it's trundling along at 30 in a 60! I've no idea how she knows the X21, and every bugger knows the Angel.

I was genuinely surprised when she pointed out one of the new Yutongs since I've never mentioned them to her!

Oops, so I did, I should’ve said son/daughter or child.   Smile

Well fair enough then.

A little while back my mum casually mentioned there’d been some “posh gold buses” passing on Metro Replacements, which I assumed to be Xlines, but my then dad added they were something like 04 regs so maybe gold but not new.

JH’s ex-London presidents vs GNE’s Xline Streetdecks - same thing (on the outside at least).  Big Grin
Yay its my photo. Yea I have to admit the red one I know ots just spare but they could have put branding on it showing its electric

For a few moments, I pretended I knew nothing about public transport on Tyneside and googled the brand name.
I wanted to play a game of 'get in touch with the operator', so I could praise, complain or query something like a timetable or ticket price with them.

Bearing in mind this is five months after launch and an online footprint was created when the vehicles were launched, I was surprised with the results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=voltra&oq=voltra&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i175i199j0j69i61l2.1431j0j4&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

There were results which brought up bits about a company which shares the same name but seems to manufacture or retail lights.
There's a bit about some electric motorbikes and hidden away, is something about buses.
There's also some search results which bring up a female musical artist who shares the same name.

I said at the very beginning, that I was surprised the operators name wasn't pushed on adverts or the livery. Particularly as it has such a big presence around Gateshead & within Newcastle City Centreand the 53/54 offers the option to connect with a wide variety its other services.
Now we see the spare allocated to another route, to me, it confirms even more that the operators brand name needs emphasis.
Especially as that other route doesn't operate within the main parts of the GNE network.

To compare it to other brands (particularly those which have been revised recently), it doesn't push the GNE name at all.
(26 Apr 2021, 1:06 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]For a few moments, I pretended I knew nothing about public transport on Tyneside and googled the brand name.
I wanted to play a game of 'get in touch with the operator', so I could praise, complain or query something like a timetable or ticket price with them.

Bearing in mind this is five months after launch and an online footprint was created when the vehicles were launched, I was surprised with the results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=voltra&oq=voltra&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i175i199j0j69i61l2.1431j0j4&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

There were results which brought up bits about a company which shares the same name but seems to manufacture or retail lights.
There's a bit about some electric motorbikes and hidden away, is something about buses.
There's also some search results which bring up a female musical artist who shares the same name.

I said at the very beginning, that I was surprised the operators name wasn't pushed on adverts or the livery. Particularly as it has such a big presence around Gateshead & within Newcastle City Centreand the 53/54 offers the option to connect with a wide variety its other services.
Now we see the spare allocated to another route, to me, it confirms even more that the operators brand name needs emphasis.
Especially as that other route doesn't operate within the main parts of the GNE network.

To compare it to other brands (particularly those which have been revised recently), it doesn't push the GNE name at all.

This!
Completely agree.

After clicking your link to see the Voltra results I then searched Voyager bus/Voyager bus hire/Voyager coach hire - nothing came back relating to GNE/Northern Coaching or whatever it’s called.
Similarly to Voltra I don’t know why ‘Voyager’ features more prominently than the Northern Coaching name - and then to put the Voyager solo onto public service work - the GNE logo features even less than the Northern Coaching logo. “Does my pass work on that?” Who knows.
(26 Apr 2021, 1:06 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]For a few moments, I pretended I knew nothing about public transport on Tyneside and googled the brand name.

Totally agree, although to be fair if you search VOLTRA bus then the first thing that comes up is GNE
To be fair GNE aren't the only company to do this. Transdev, Trent Barton, First, Arriva are just all as guilty of it.
(26 Apr 2021, 4:22 pm)Rapidsnap wrote [ -> ]To be fair GNE aren't the only company to do this. Transdev, Trent Barton, First, Arriva are just all as guilty of it.

All of which used Best Impressions, if Ray's creations are so "desirous" then why hide the company name if it's something that the company wishes to be associated with...

Somewhat related is the "search: adventures by bus" branding that First use down south. Something that is totally pointless...
(26 Apr 2021, 4:33 pm)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]All of which used Best Impressions, if Ray's creations are so "desirous" then why hide the company name if it's something that the company wishes to be associated with...

Somewhat related is the "search: adventures by bus" branding that First use down south. Something that is totally pointless...

Don't say anything bad about the lord and saviour Ray Stenning!
(26 Apr 2021, 4:22 pm)Rapidsnap wrote [ -> ]To be fair GNE aren't the only company to do this. Transdev, Trent Barton, First, Arriva are just all as guilty of it.

I had to pop to Doncaster a couple of weeks ago.
Quick in and out job.
As we came off the A1 and on to Warmsworth Road, the first thing I noticed was a First decker. It might have been the X78.
The livery and design on the back end was more or less identical to some of the GNE back-ends that refer to journey times between key locations.

Again, if I knew nowt about buses - there could easily be the assumption that the buses on Tyneside and in South Yorkshire are operated by the same company.
Particularly as both liveries seem to be adorned with diagonal stripes and two tone colour schemes.
(26 Apr 2021, 5:34 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I had to pop to Doncaster a couple of weeks ago.
Quick in and out job.
As we came off the A1 and on to Warmsworth Road, the first thing I noticed was a First decker. It might have been the X78.
The livery and design on the back end was more or less identical to some of the GNE back-ends that refer to journey times between key locations.

Again, if I knew nowt about buses - there could easily be the assumption that the buses on Tyneside and in South Yorkshire are operated by the same company.
Particularly as both liveries seem to be adorned with diagonal stripes and two tone colour schemes.

Tbf the first new livery and GNE livery are the same/similar style with different colours.

Yep. Voltra is the worst Go North East livery that has ever been released. Dreadful. It was an open goal to promote the electric Yutongs, which themselves are ugly with their boxxy roof pods. Alas, they dress them in silver rather than, you know, green... which conveys the eco-friendly message?, then add a vulgar swoop under the windows which does nothing whatsoever, other than defer if from the house style which EVERY brand was intended to be categorised under.

There isn't a thing I like about Voltra: the livery is tacky and certainly does not communicate that the buses are electric; the destination blinds are horrendous, particularly the rear face one; and the overuse of the LED lights around the top is... pointless?

Sorry, but First did a much better job with their Yutongs. Apparently the vinyl application was terrible on them, but it looks exactly the same as any other vinyled-up bus.

Rant over.

(26 Apr 2021, 4:33 pm)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]All of which used Best Impressions, if Ray's creations are so "desirous" then why hide the company name if it's something that the company wishes to be associated with...

You and I are very much on the same wavelength, and obviously I've seen your work before and you could do a tenfold better job than RS. Just saying. Smile
Voltra isn't the beat livery. I'd admit the Silver left and just a few stuff put on was meh. Yea I agree with the green would have stood out. But then that would make it compare to the green arrow
(26 Apr 2021, 5:57 pm)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]Tbf the first new livery and GNE livery are the same/similar style with different colours.

Very!
Even down to the random paint job on the front grille.

Found these two examples to show the similarity.
(26 Apr 2021, 8:47 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Very!
Even down to the random paint job on the front grille.

Found these two examples to show the similarity.

It's quite easy to see why they're so similar when they use this for their designs...

[Image: Best-Impressions-design-o-matic.jpg]
(26 Apr 2021, 7:22 pm)BeachBoy99 wrote [ -> ]You and I are very much on the same wavelength, and obviously I've seen your work before and you could do a tenfold better job than RS. Just saying. :)

On a hiatus with the design at the moment whilst I move onto the wrong side of the Tyne, they'll all be back soon  Big Grin
(26 Apr 2021, 9:28 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]It's quite easy to see why they're so similar when they use this for their designs...

[Image: Best-Impressions-design-o-matic.jpg]

I know this doesn’t suit your agenda against Best Impressions, but that agency did not design the ‘road stripe’ concept for Go North East, which the Cityrider livery is based on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19