You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Cycling Lanes in the North East

What would you do with the money used on cycling lanes?, and if its something different why?, now dont get heated, just a friendly debate, the art of conversation
So my choice is this, build cycle lanes thats fine, but then cyclists should have to pay road tax then no?, afterall its the roads that seem to take the brunt of new cycle lanes, and narrowing roads that were already congested at peak times (im looking at you there Rake Lane Roundabout), i'd rather see investment in better Transport rather than cycle lanes that are hardly (if ever) used
Kind Regards
Tez
RE: Cycling Lanes in the North East
(25 May 2024, 1:06 pm)V514DFT wrote What would you do with the money used on cycling lanes?, and if its something different why?, now dont get heated, just a friendly debate, the art of conversation
So my choice is this, build cycle lanes thats fine, but then cyclists should have to pay road tax then no?, afterall its the roads that seem to take the brunt of new cycle lanes, and narrowing roads that were already congested at peak times (im looking at you there Rake Lane Roundabout), i'd rather see investment in better Transport rather than cycle lanes that are hardly (if ever) used

I think there needs to be a balance and whether they're bus lanes, cycle lanes or simply roads for cars - they should work and complement each other.
As it stands, all I see is competition between the 3, usually with the car losing out. 

The absolute farce in turning the Gateshead flyover in to a cycle-lane, didn't benefit anyone.
The Birtley cycle super-highway isn't going to make the traffic any better along Durham Road.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Personally I never get the obsession with building cycle lanes along roads. They're small things and not unpleasant going along residential streets or even through parks etc.

The Gateshead flyover one is a prime example of this, why would anyone want to cycle along there, just put it through Gateshead Town centre ie. High Street where there's barely any traffic anyway.

Surely cyclists like pedestrians would rather have those routes anyway.
Councils need to remember that it's a small minority of people who will be willing to cycle, no matter how many cycle lanes they add. I've got no issue with adding some cycle lanes, but far more money should be spent on public transport which is something everyone can use.
Problem is cycle lanes aren't designed by cyclists.
There often used as illegal carparks to..

But remember road tax isn't road tax.. It's based on your engine emissions. So therefore a cyclist isn't giving out any...

Unless I had beans for breakfast haha