You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

What's On Thread
Thought I'd start this off for things going on around the region (non-transport related) that may be a particular interest to some members.

Proper Food & Drink Festivals - North Shields 2013
http://www.properfoodanddrinkfestivals.co.uk/

Looks a decent day out if you're a fan of proper grub, chilli, and interesting drink. I think I may head across on Saturday.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
RE: What's On Thread
I used to like Food Festivals and the like before salmonella was confirmed at a food festival in Newcastle earlier this year (see here and here).
I hate to touch things from food festivals now - I'm really cautious about doing it, if so.
Not quite sure what it fits in with in the Business Studies curriculum (GCSE), but we went over it for a week or two in the last academic school year. I didn't come down with anything, but my Business Studies teacher said he did.
(27 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm)Daniel wrote I used to like Food Festivals and the like before salmonella was confirmed at a food festival in Newcastle earlier this year (see here and here).
I hate to touch things from food festivals now - I'm really cautious about doing it, if so.
Not quite sure what it fits in with in the Business Studies curriculum (GCSE), but we went over it for a week or two in the last academic school year. I didn't come down with anything, but my Business Studies teacher said he did.

I think there's always the danger of that, and it certainly puts people off - it does me anyway. I've never been to this festival before, but I've been to a couple of others it's always been a good day out. Great way to encourage people to try new food and drink, and more importantly to shop local. I think I've probably got more chance of losing my tastebuds to chilli than anything else Smile
The salmonella thing was highly unlucky, everything was cooked properly it just happened to grown on a leaf naturally.

I love buying stuff from the European Food Market that is in Newcastle regularly
(27 Aug 2013, 7:01 pm)gtomlinson wrote The salmonella thing was highly unlucky, everything was cooked properly it just happened to grown on a leaf naturally.

I love buying stuff from the European Food Market that is in Newcastle regularly

I've never been to the Newcastle one, but I believe it's the same (or similar) to the one that is in Durham periodically. The german sausage stall is always impressive.
(27 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm)aureolin wrote I've never been to the Newcastle one, but I believe it's the same (or similar) to the one that is in Durham periodically. The german sausage stall is always impressive.

Yeah it is the same one, must be a set travelling fair type approach.

The paella is great and the Dutch/Belgian confectionery is by far my favourite thing
They have been and gone for the year, but the Three Tuns at Deckham always have stuff on during a Bank Holiday weekend.

They have had the Gateshead International Pie Festival for a few years, but this year saw the first ever Gateshead International Kebab Festival and also the first Gateshead International Pizza Festival.

Plenty food, cheap bear and generally live music on afterwards.
Russ Tippins was on performing a solo set, after the Pie Festival. I didn't get to the other two, so not sure who or what was on.

Worth keeping your eyes open to see what 'festivals' they have on next year.
(27 Aug 2013, 7:57 pm)Andreos1 wrote They have been and gone for the year, but the Three Tuns at Deckham always have stuff on during a Bank Holiday weekend.

They have had the Gateshead International Pie Festival for a few years, but this year saw the first ever Gateshead International Kebab Festival and also the first Gateshead International Pizza Festival.

Plenty food, cheap bear and generally live music on afterwards.
Russ Tippins was on performing a solo set, after the Pie Festival. I didn't get to the other two, so not sure who or what was on.

Worth keeping your eyes open to see what 'festivals' they have on next year.

I've never seen any food festivals advertised there, despite passing it a couple times a week on the X1. I can remember the famous bank holiday BBQs they done about 10 year ago. Used to spend most of the day in their beer garden!
That'll be because your either taking advantage of the wifi or holding your head in your hands cos your sick of Gary & Lisa Wink

It was when I was passing the other week on the X1, that I noticed the sign for the Pizza Festival www.thethreetuns.com/

The pie one has been on a few years now.

Edit: Heres a bit the chronicle about the kebab festival. My mouth is watering at the thought of it! www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/local-news/festival-praises-humble-kebabs-4011421
Pie Festival at the Three Tuns over the last Bank Holiday weekend and now it is the turn of the Kebab Festival.

Heading through soon for an hour or two.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(24 May 2014, 10:34 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Pie Festival at the Three Tuns over the last Bank Holiday weekend and now it is the turn of the Kebab Festival.

Heading through soon for an hour or two.

Let me know how you get on with the Ghost Chilli Donner Tongue
Proper Food and Drink festivals have announced some dates for 2014. I attended North Shields last year, and would highly recommend it to anyone this year.

Sat 24th-Mon 26th May - South Shields - Bents Park
Sat 14th-Sun 15th June - Whitley Bay - Spanish City redeveloped boulevard
Sat 30th-Sun 31st August - North Shields - Northumberland Square
(24 May 2014, 11:00 am)aureolin wrote Let me know how you get on with the Ghost Chilli Donner Tongue

Ghost Chilli?
Have never had it, but seen it on Man Vs Food many a time.

Have you seen a menu or something? Cant find details of the flavours/types anywhere online.

(24 May 2014, 11:03 am)aureolin wrote Proper Food and Drink festivals have announced some dates for 2014. I attended North Shields last year, and would highly recommend it to anyone this year.

Sat 24th-Mon 26th May - South Shields - Bents Park
Sat 14th-Sun 15th June - Whitley Bay - Spanish City redeveloped boulevard
Sat 30th-Sun 31st August - North Shields - Northumberland Square

Heading home yesterday afternoon, there was something on the radio about a food festival in Mowbray Park this weekend.
The bus went over a drain cover or something and drowned out the details, so don't know the full story.
Re: RE: What's On Thread
(24 May 2014, 11:16 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Ghost Chilli?
Have never had it, but seen it on Man Vs Food many a time.

Have you seen a menu or something? Cant find details of the flavours/types anywhere online.

Heading home yesterday afternoon, there was something on the radio about a food festival in Mowbray Park this weekend.
The bus went over a drain cover or something and drowned out the details, so don't know the full story.

If you look them up on Facebook there's a bit more info.
(24 May 2014, 12:29 pm)aureolin wrote If you look them up on Facebook there's a bit more info.

Had a neb on fb on the way through.

Don't forget this weekend we have our second ever International Kebab Festival. Last year went down brilliantly and we're very keen to keep those standards up this year.

We have another killer music line up this year including Still Marillion, The Kicks and The Ska Toons.

We'll have 10 varieties of Kebab for you to try from your usual Donner to Afghan Kofte and Curried Goat all served with a delicious warm Naan bread and Salad. You can even add chips for £1.

This will be one of the best weekends on our calendar and hopefully one of the best on yours so make sure you're all out in numbers to give it a try.
Wetherspoons in Newcastle are advertising a cider festival Fri 11th July to Sun 27th July. It's in the magazine, so it should be national. I'm not really a massive drinker, but it's usually good crack when they're on!
North Shields 'Proper Food & Drink Festival' is back on next weekend - 30th/31st August. It's on at Northumberland Square between 10am-5pm both days.

I went over last year and it's well worth a look out. Smile