You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Blyth & Tyne Line
(31 Jul 2024, 5:31 pm)PH - BQA wrote Shock. 

Less than 2 months now to meet the 'summer 2024' promise for the rest of the route, and with no announcement of date (and no route learning yet AFAIK?) it seems increasingly unlikely.

September is the date that's been thrown around lately for the opening. The new bridge at Newsham is what's delaying the driver training though, as the level crossing needs to be shut before they can reopen the line since it's not compatable with the new signalling (for obvious reasons).

There's paths booked for next monday though (bridge opens tomorrow) - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/...59?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT

Whether it happens, who knows.
(31 Jul 2024, 7:43 pm)Storx wrote September is the date that's been thrown around lately for the opening. The new bridge at Newsham is what's delaying the driver training though, as the level crossing needs to be shut before they can reopen the line since it's not compatable with the new signalling (for obvious reasons).

There's paths booked for next monday though (bridge opens tomorrow) - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/...59?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT

Whether it happens, who knows.

Will it be that quick though? You'd assume the old road will need properly blocking off prior to trains being allowed through. 

If it's anything to go by, the Borders Railway (which is around 40% longer than this) had 12 weeks of driver training. I'd imagine this may need slightly less time, but I do think the continued absence of a firm opening date is telling. 

You're going to need to announce this ahead of time, and time is ticking.
(31 Jul 2024, 8:07 pm)PH - BQA wrote Will it be that quick though? You'd assume the old road will need properly blocking off prior to trains being allowed through. 

If it's anything to go by, the Borders Railway (which is around 40% longer than this) had 12 weeks of driver training. I'd imagine this may need slightly less time, but I do think the continued absence of a firm opening date is telling. 

You're going to need to announce this ahead of time, and time is ticking.

Can't imagine it'll take too long for the road, assume they'll just rip it up straight away and throw the new tracks down with the roads curtailed at both sides. They're quite impressive Network Rail when you watch some of the Geoff Marshall stuff on site, when they actually want to do stuff. Can't see it being too hard work tbh as it's all closed off from the public.

If they start on Monday, they've got 8 weeks for the driver training, assume it might be a bit quicker though as the line isn't new so you won't have all the hoops of testing a new link per say so it'll just be route familisation rather than training as I assume they're already being trained up elsewhere? I'm not sure on that though.

It's going to be tight though mind, agreed there. I do, for some reason, think they'll get it open though.

Mind speaking of new stations Northumberland Park seems as badly delayed, the last time I went through there on the Metro they've done pretty much nothing above the ground.
I was waiting at Northumberland Park on 20th July and there were diggers busy on the new station. They seemed to widening and flattening the platform. I can’t say I would be too happy if I lived in one of the new apartments above the platform.
(01 Aug 2024, 8:05 am)RMF1254 wrote I was waiting at Northumberland Park on 20th July and there were diggers busy on the new station. They seemed to widening and flattening the platform. I can’t say I would be too happy if I lived in one of the new apartments above the platform.

Must've started then, last time I went through it was just tree cutting and not an awful lot more (believe they were filling in old mine workings). 

Mind those apartments aren't very new anymore they've been there for over 20 year nearly. How time flies tbh.