You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Marxista Fozzski
Boxing
We have a football thread and a wrestling thread, now is boxing's turn...

Does anyone else here watch it, which boxers do you enjoy watching...

Can't wait for Froch v Groves II tonight, probably the biggest all British fight since Niger Benn and Chris Eubank fought it out in the 90's...

Used to be a fan when I was younger, enjoying Naz and Tyson in the early/mid 90's and stopped watching it when I was in care and got back into it about 10 years ago when I was convinced to watch Ricky Hatton v Kostya Tsyzu and since then I watched every Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe fight, I loved Hatton and I don't believe there is a fighter in Britain as popular as Hatton was...
RE: Boxing
I've always thought that Boxing was a bit crap to be honest.

I was into MMA from the age of 14 as the wrestling tape-trader I used also stocked UFC, RINGS and Pancrase. Compared to that, Boxing is pretty one-dimensional in my opinion. You may disagree of course, but as a wrestling fan I like a good ground-game.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Boxing
(31 May 2014, 9:25 am)AdamY wrote I've always thought that Boxing was a bit crap to be honest.

I was into MMA from the age of 14 as the wrestling tape-trader I used also stocked UFC, RINGS and Pancrase. Compared to that, Boxing is pretty one-dimensional in my opinion. You may disagree of course, but as a wrestling fan I like a good ground-game.

I have never watched MMA so can't really say much about that, but, as a wrestling fan myself I know what you mean about a good ground-game
(31 May 2014, 11:10 am)marxistafozzski wrote I have never watched MMA so can't really say much about that, but, as a wrestling fan myself I know what you mean about a good ground-game

Never watched MMA?

Then please allow me to take up 5 minutes of your time with this fight between MMA/UFC star, Don Frye, and Japanese pro-wrestler, Yoshihiro Takayama.

It's an extremely entertaining punch-up between two wild competitors.

I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE THAT YOU'LL ENJOY THIS FIGHT!!! (Yes, all caps!!)

Enjoy!!
Marxista Fozzski
(31 May 2014, 2:21 pm)AdamY wrote Never watched MMA?

Then please allow me to take up 5 minutes of your time with this fight between MMA/UFC star, Don Frye, and Japanese pro-wrestler, Yoshihiro Takayama.

It's an extremely entertaining punch-up between two wild competitors.

I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE THAT YOU'LL ENJOY THIS FIGHT!!! (Yes, all caps!!)

Enjoy!!

That's the kind of fighting I enjoy, I don't know why I never picked up on it before now...Would it be right to say, MMA is very similar to Pro Wrestling, but without the pre-determination for matches and over the top characters...

Also does many wrestlers have an MMA kind of storyline, I know Brock Lesnar does and sure I read somewhere the Undertaker has an MMA style to his character as Mark Callaway is massive MMA fan...

Just another little thing, I know some guys who do MMA Training and they told me that other sports like Football, Rugby and Cricket are played by 'Nancy Boys and Poofs'...

I will start having to watch more of it
I have done a bit of sparring in my time, but never took boxing seriously.

However a few mates of mates are into the local boxing and mma scene.

I don't know them too well, having only met them once or twice.
Colin FreakShow Fletcher was a few years below me at comp and we would chat on the school bus - but haven't seen him for years. It was only seeing him on posters a few years back, that I twigged it was him.

A lass I used to work with, has a husband/partner who is/was big on the boxing scene, often refereeing local amateur stuff.

There are a few others too.

One of the rally points for the FPF, is the Rainton Meadows Arena (McKewans Centre for traditionalists) and they often have boxing or mma cards on.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(31 May 2014, 2:40 pm)marxistafozzski wrote That's the kind of fighting I enjoy, I don't know why I never picked up on it before now...Would it be right to say, MMA is very similar to Pro Wrestling, but without the pre-determination for matches and over the top characters...

There are over the top characters in MMA. Kazushi Sakuraba, for one, is a huge pro-wrestling fan and occasionally wears masks to the ring in addition to having a traditional pro-wrestling entrance. There are others, both in UFC and other Japanese MMA promotions, who adopt certain pro-wrestling traits be it in interviews, appearance, or crowd-baiting.

MMA can be wrestling-orientated in the sense that grappling and submission techniques are used. However, some fighters rely primarily on strikes to win bouts.In short, different fighters have different styles. As a rule, matches are not pre-determined but there are examples/accusations of 'worked-shoots' which brings into doubt whether all matches are pre-determined.

(31 May 2014, 2:40 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Also does many wrestlers have an MMA kind of storyline, I know Brock Lesnar does and sure I read somewhere the Undertaker has an MMA style to his character as Mark Callaway is massive MMA fan...

Some wrestlers have previously been involved in MMA. Obviously, Brock Lesnar is one, but Alberto del Rio (under a mask as Dos Caras Jr.), Ken Shamrock, Bobby Lashley and Dan Severn, to keep the list to wrestlers you may have heard of and have been in WWF/E have all had MMA matches at some point in their careers. If we are to list Japanese wrestlers, then that list obviously expands.

Some wrestlers who haven't been fought in MMA fights try to incorporate an MMA style into matches.

[/quote]
Marxista Fozzski
Re: Boxing
I remember Ken Shamrock, seem to remember he is a genuine hard man who could stretch you anyway he liked, a style of wrestling that goes back to the likes of Stu Hart, Verne Gagne and Dory Funk Sr and obviously the pure shoot wrestlers...

Don't know why I never got round to taking in MMA as I like very physical fighting and Submission Wrestling...I always tended to like wrestlers with an amateur background e.g. Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle and always liked good Submission Wrestlers I.e. Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit...

I think 'Taker has adopted an MMA style, I seen an interview with him years ago and he said if he was quite a few years younger and had MMA been big then, he would have gone into MMA...I don't know how old 'Taker is now, but I bet at even at his age he would be a tough bastard to fight legitimately Big Grin
(31 May 2014, 4:07 pm)marxistafozzski wrote I remember Ken Shamrock, seem to remember he is a genuine hard man who could stretch you anyway he liked, a style of wrestling that goes back to the likes of Stu Hart, Verne Gagne and Dory Funk Sr and obviously the pure shoot wrestlers...

Don't know why I never got round to taking in MMA as I like very physical fighting and Submission Wrestling...I always tended to like wrestlers with an amateur background e.g. Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle and always liked good Submission Wrestlers I.e. Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit...

I think 'Taker has adopted an MMA style, I seen an interview with him years ago and he said if he was quite a few years younger and had MMA been big then, he would have gone into MMA...I don't know how old 'Taker is now, but I bet at even at his age he would be a tough bastard to fight legitimately Big Grin

Ken Shamorck started off as pro-wrestler before switching to MMA in the early 90's. He got his break with Pancrase in Japan, ended up in UFC around 1994/5. He returned to pro-wrestling in 1997 signing with the WWF. Incidentally, Bret Hart trained him for his return to pro-wrestling linking him to the Harts. He returned to MMA after WWF/E but he mostly used as an 'attraction' rather than a top fighter. He got a few wins but time had taken it's toll by then.

Kurt Angle has reportedly turned down numerous offers to participate in MMA fights in the past. Being an ex-Olympic Gold Medallist at the 1996 Atlanta games you'd have thought he'd be up for it. However, despite interviews claiming he could do this/that to this guy or that guy, he's never made the jump. His ego is probably is the key factor to why he hasn't jumped at the chance to back up his words. A loss would shatter his own illusion that he could take anyone and win. He's quite mad you know!

The Undertaker incorporates the Gogopalta submission into his moveset - a triangle-type chokehold which he calls either the 'TCB' or 'Hell's Gate'. It looks quite awkward in my opinion but you may disagree. Calloway has stated in interviews that if MMA was around before he took up wrestling in the 1980s, he's probably be doing that.

**Poor Taste Joke Alert**

If Chris Benoit did MMA he'd murder anyone he faced!

Sorry. Couldn't resist!

**Joke Over**
Marxista Fozzski
(31 May 2014, 4:42 pm)AdamY wrote Ken Shamorck started off as pro-wrestler before switching to MMA in the early 90's. He got his break with Pancrase in Japan, ended up in UFC around 1994/5. He returned to pro-wrestling in 1997 signing with the WWF. Incidentally, Bret Hart trained him for his return to pro-wrestling linking him to the Harts. He returned to MMA after WWF/E but he mostly used as an 'attraction' rather than a top fighter. He got a few wins but time had taken it's toll by then.

Kurt Angle has reportedly turned down numerous offers to participate in MMA fights in the past. Being an ex-Olympic Gold Medallist at the 1996 Atlanta games you'd have thought he'd be up for it. However, despite interviews claiming he could do this/that to this guy or that guy, he's never made the jump. His ego is probably is the key factor to why he hasn't jumped at the chance to back up his words. A loss would shatter his own illusion that he could take anyone and win. He's quite mad you know!

The Undertaker incorporates the Gogopalta submission into his moveset - a triangle-type chokehold which he calls either the 'TCB' or 'Hell's Gate'. It looks quite awkward in my opinion but you may disagree. Calloway has stated in interviews that if MMA was around before he took up wrestling in the 1980s, he's probably be doing that.

**Poor Taste Joke Alert**

[If Chris Benoit did MMA he'd murder anyone he faced!

Sorry. Couldn't resist!

**Joke Over**

I love a good close to the knuckle

What is worse than letting the McCann's take your kid on Holiday?
Letting Chris Benoit Babysit Big Grin

Back to topic is anyone watching Froch v Groves tonight
Marxista Fozzski
Antony Joshua just beat Matt Legg in 83 seconds in the 1st

Jamie McDonnell stops some Thai bloke whose name I can't spell or pronounce for the WBA Bantamweight Belt

Kevin Mitchell stops Ghislain Maduma

James De Gale stops Brandon Gonzales