You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Marxista Fozzski
The Football Echo
This last weekend saw the end of a tradition for thousands past and present, the Football Echo ceased to exist in printed form, in favour of going digital...

Football Fans out there will know what the Footy Ecka meant to us fans, I remember as a boy, being bribed by my granddad to walk from Roker Park(I was lazy and always wanted to get the bus, lol) to the Town with a promise to get me a copy and we would always catch one of the first deliveries and I went on to get it for donkeys year.

It is a shame really, but with the dawn of the Internet, Social Media, Smartphones/Tablets and rolling news on Sky Sports the Echo was always going to decline and eventually pulled.
RE: The Football Echo
(31 Dec 2013, 3:03 pm)fozzovmurton wrote This last weekend saw the end of a tradition for thousands past and present, the Football Echo ceased to exist in printed form, in favour of going digital...

Football Fans out there will know what the Footy Ecka meant to us fans, I remember as a boy, being bribed by my granddad to walk from Roker Park(I was lazy and always wanted to get the bus, lol) to the Town with a promise to get me a copy and we would always catch one of the first deliveries and I went on to get it for donkeys year.

It is a shame really, but with the dawn of the Internet, Social Media, Smartphones/Tablets and rolling news on Sky Sports the Echo was always going to decline and eventually pulled.

It was always The Pink for me (Evening Chronicle/Tyneside bias) and that went by the wayside years ago.
www.theguardian.com/media/2005/nov/30/mirror.pressandpublishing
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
Yeah, I remember The Pink, did not realise it went till 2005, thought it went in the Late 90's/Early 00's, I used to get them both around this time, I lived in Durham and Durham was a close split between Newcastle and Sunderland...

I how many Pink'uns/Green'uns are left now
(31 Dec 2013, 3:54 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Yeah, I remember The Pink, did not realise it went till 2005, thought it went in the Late 90's/Early 00's, I used to get them both around this time, I lived in Durham and Durham was a close split between Newcastle and Sunderland...

I how many Pink'uns/Green'uns are left now

Not sure to be honest.
But as the editor of the paper said in that link, there were that few Saturday games and coupled with the things you said, there was only going to be one outcome.

Surprised the Echo has lasted as long.
Marxista Fozzski
Pretty much the same reason the Echo packed in, I think it said before the Norwich game, Sunderland have not kicked off at home at 3pm Saturday for ages...This and the rise of Smartphones, Internet and a rolling results service on SSN.

It has also shot up in price, it was 50p in 2008 and has gone up 100% since then to £1 today, the final nail really was the decision to move to a Sunday Morning Sports Paper, and I am not too sure, I think it was being printed out of the Region and had to be transported up here...

Fair play to the Echo for keeping it going for so long, but I bet it barely covered it's costs...Would not surprise me at all if Paywalls became the norm for papers
(31 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Pretty much the same reason the Echo packed in, I think it said before the Norwich game, Sunderland have not kicked off at home at 3pm Saturday for ages...This and the rise of Smartphones, Internet and a rolling results service on SSN.

It has also shot up in price, it was 50p in 2008 and has gone up 100% since then to £1 today, the final nail really was the decision to move to a Sunday Morning Sports Paper, and I am not too sure, I think it was being printed out of the Region and had to be transported up here...

Fair play to the Echo for keeping it going for so long, but I bet it barely covered it's costs...Would not surprise me at all if Paywalls became the norm for papers

I was reading an article about paywalls the other day.
Can't remember specific figures, but it used The Sun as an example.
Paper sales are down and paywall subscribers are up, keeping readership at a slightly lower level - however profits at the paper are down.

Not sure how other papers are doing.
Marxista Fozzski
A quick look on Wikipedia shows the Financial Times has a paywall with 285,000 subcribers which is growing annually about 30%

The Times/Sunday Times also has one at £1/day or 2 quid a week

And of course the Sun launched theres in August at £8.65 a month, I can see most papers going the same way eventually...

For me, I am all for upgrading technology and new ideas, but when it comes to my paper, I like to have a printed copy in my hand, rather than piss about on my Phone and Tablet...

Books will also go the same way eventually in favour of the Kindle, again when I do read books, I prefer it in my hand to be honest
(31 Dec 2013, 4:39 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Anyway, when it comes to papers, my favourite paper is The Metro...because it is free lol

Worth paying the 20p for the i. I find the Metro has a lot of crap in it at times.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(31 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Yeah, the I isnt too bad...My only gripe at the Metro is it has too many ads in

or if you pick one up on your travels and the local section/ads are specific to a city hundreds of miles away...