You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Northstar
(27 Jul 2024, 9:41 am)F114TML wrote Well apparently they've been free this last week.

Free? Strange.

Well, I went to see the 643 at the Metrocentre yesterday morning for a video and photo, and it didn't turn up. Not a great start.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2024, 8:22 am)Retro Nero wrote Are Northstar ticketless? Can't see a machine on any of there buses,!

Nexus are running an introductory offer of free travel on service 599.

Services 643 and 939 are operating with ticket machines.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2024, 11:07 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Free? Strange.

Well, I went to see the 643 at the Metrocentre yesterday morning for a video and photo, and it didn't turn up. Not a great start.

All journeys operated on service 643 yesterday albeit most did run late. The delays were gradually made up by the final journey - buses started tracking on bustimes by yesterday afternoon.
(27 Jul 2024, 11:38 am)Dan wrote All journeys operated on service 643 yesterday albeit most did run late. The delays were gradually made up by the final journey - buses started tracking on bustimes by yesterday afternoon.

I was upset to not see it,  but luckily wasn't boarding it yesterday. The 643 is a service I use sometimes though. 11:07 departure towards Metrocentre ASDA I was there for, but it didn't show up. Unfortunately I was only there quickly in the hope of seeing that and the was off to Wallsend. 

Are Northstar charging fares on their services from next week? What tickets are valid for travel on the 599/643? Nexus day tickets, Day Rovers and Day Savers?

Disappointed to see the buses weren't tracking. Good that it's fixed now!
(27 Jul 2024, 11:37 am)Dan wrote Nexus are running an introductory offer of free travel on service 599.

Services 643 and 939 are operating with ticket machines.

Was the introductory offer just for this week? Hopefully I'll give the 599 a go some time. Definitely be on the 643 at some point.
In contrast to travelling on Go North East buses today, I found the Northstar vehicle I travelled on to be clean and presentable with a friendly driver who was conversing with passengers about the weather and informing them about the diversion around Nissan currently in place.

The seats were a bit hard and the middle door was rattling like a smackhead who hasn't had their hit for a couple of days but, overall, an above average experience, which is quite high praise considering the low bar we have for public transport in the region.
Just used the 599 for the first time as I'm at our other site today.

Was clean, driver was happy, the E300 is on today.

Didn't know it was still free, when does this end?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(04 Aug 2024, 10:46 am)Michael wrote Need to buy a Sunderland Smartzone pass this week, can i use it on the 599?

Terms of Smartzone suggest it's only GNE, Stagecoach and Arriva services? I think you'd need a Network One weekly instead.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(04 Aug 2024, 1:39 pm)Adrian wrote Terms of Smartzone suggest it's only GNE, Stagecoach and Arriva services? I think you'd need a Network One weekly instead.

Ah, thought it might of changed, they have a habit of changing stuff and not changing the actual sites!.

I'll just stick to Stagecoach and GNE then.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(04 Aug 2024, 1:39 pm)Adrian wrote Terms of Smartzone suggest it's only GNE, Stagecoach and Arriva services? I think you'd need a Network One weekly instead.

Yeah I remember about 18 month ago they stopped being accepted on the 99 without telling anyone (including SC), then Nexus started consulting to withdraw it.

Coincidence?
Site Administrator
(04 Aug 2024, 10:46 am)Michael wrote Need to buy a Sunderland Smartzone pass this week, can i use it on the 599?

You can’t (for the reasons stated above), but the 599 is still free for another two weeks.
(04 Aug 2024, 8:13 pm)Dan wrote You can’t (for the reasons stated above), but the 599 is still free for another two weeks.

Oh cool!

Good to know, thank you.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
We’re getting September ready for new contract awards - another Trident joins the fleet… This one has made its furthest ever journey north, in contrast to the others which made their furthest ever journey south on acquisition.

https://x.com/Dan3942/status/18230807319...rI2WtnXV7w&s=19

Looks Northstar has won a few contracts for September 2024.

--------

https://x.com/Dan3942/status/1823253166403592434
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
PB2060918/6
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 937 Front Street, Chester-le-Street Kingsway North, Gateshead

PB2060918/9
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 840 Malvern Gardens, Gateshead St Thomas More Catholic School, Blaydon

PB2060918/11
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 460 Springwell Village School, Springwell Village St Robert's RC Academy, Washington

PB2060918/12
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 448 St Robert's RC Academy, Washington Newcastle Bank, Birtley

PB2060918/13
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 801 Durham Road, Annfield Plain Whickham School, Gateshead

PB2060918/8
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 847 Kingsmeadow Comprehensive School, Gateshead Cragside Gardens, Gateshead

PB2060918/7
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 894 Emmanuel College, Gateshead Winlaton Bus Station, Winlaton

PB2060918/10
New NORTHSTAR CONSTELLATION LIMITED 831 Emmanuel College, Gateshead Cotemede, Fewster Square, Gateshead

-----------------

Jonathan Welch speaks to Daniel Graham, the founder of new North East operator Northstar

https://cbwmagazine.com/go-northstar/
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Aug 2024, 1:10 pm)Retro Nero wrote Apparently Dan has got a Volvo B7RE. Any truth?

there was one on the 599 it looked like alines volvo didn't know if it was on loan or aline were running service for north star or they had bought it
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2024, 3:59 pm)makem1 wrote there was one on the 599 it looked like alines volvo didn't know if it was on loan or aline were running service for north star or they had bought it

One of the Enviro200s broke down. It was quicker to loan a bus from A-line and reinstate the service from Jarrow (minimising lost mileage) than use one of Northstar’s own spare buses. Probably would have meant an entire round trip would have been lost instead of just Sunderland to Jarrow.

The B7RLE was returned to A-line after a couple of hours once an engineer repaired the E200. Was only a small issue, likely caused by the roads in Hebburn which are in absolutely dire condition.
(26 Aug 2024, 5:00 am)Dan wrote One of the Enviro200s broke down. It was quicker to loan a bus from A-line and reinstate the service from Jarrow (minimising lost mileage) than use one of Northstar’s own spare buses. Probably would have meant an entire round trip would have been lost instead of just Sunderland to Jarrow.

The B7RLE was returned to A-line after a couple of hours once an engineer repaired the E200. Was only a small issue, likely caused by the roads in Hebburn which are in absolutely dire condition.

Honestly man, those bumps and divots cause nowt but issue for those wingmirrors. 

Glad you got it sorted in the end though but.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'