You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Most popular GNE route
(24 Apr 2022, 4:35 pm)Unber43 wrote imo The 50 should be standlone for this reason. However what would you change with the 26.

I think 9>5>26>26>5>9 would be well over the driving hours.

It would be around 5 hours 20 mins - which is duable but any day
Ever since the 50 merging with the 5 didnt really help but it was understandable to provide better vehicles which were the Whey Aye Five O Omnicitys. This point it would be nice if the 26 became the 88 again to allow the South Tyne brand to return. this point there should be:
5: Normal
5A: Interworking with the 5 (Renumbered 26)
9: Standalone Service
26: Renumber to 5A
50: Standalone
(24 Apr 2022, 4:43 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote Ever since the 50 merging with the 5 didnt really help but it was understandable to provide better vehicles which were the Whey Aye Five O Omnicitys. This point it would be nice if the 26 became the 88 again to allow the South Tyne brand to return. this point there should be:
5: Normal
5A: Interworking with the 5 (Renumbered 26)
9: Standalone Service
26: Renumber to 5A
50: Standalone
Yeah but where would change overs happen. 

Also I don't think 5A would work as a name. Could do the 26 & 24
(24 Apr 2022, 4:51 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote easier probably just to withdraw the 26 or bring back the 88
But where will change over's happen, South Sheilds, Jarrow?
(24 Apr 2022, 5:15 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote i think would be easier to set up a network around South Shields & Jarrow.
What are GNE going to bid to takeover SC's operations. 

Well....might not be the worst idea.
(24 Apr 2022, 5:15 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote i think would be easier to set up a network around South Shields & Jarrow.

Highly doubt that remember GNE used to have a depot which they closed. They've been cutting in South Tyneside for years similar to North Tyneside. 

Also the 50 can't work alone unless you want stupidly long layovers or extra PVR.
Most popular GNE route
Struggling to understand what the benefit of renumbering the 26 to the 5A would be. The only common sections of route are Shields Interchange to KFC, Chi to Winskills and Valley View to Jarrow Bus Station.

You could use a common brand yes, but there is no way of operating them in an interworking pattern which stays solely within South Tyneside without remote driver changeovers. That creates increased dead mileage and as Washington is the closest depot to Jarrow - you'd have to allow 20mins in each direction per changeover. I doubt many drivers will be happy to sit and take their break in a van in Jarrow Bus Station like they used to years ago. All that would pretty much only be for the purpose of maintaining a single uniform South Tyneside GNE brand.

Current allocation of Corporate livery vehicles on the 9/5 and 50/26 works well enough in my view.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
(25 Apr 2022, 1:33 am)6049 wrote Current allocation of Corporate livery vehicles on the 9/5 and 50/26 works well enough in my view.

Yes but when it comes to summer we are on about the 50 can get be filled on mornings
(25 Apr 2022, 1:33 am)6049 wrote Struggling to understand what the benefit of renumbering the 26 to the 5A would be. The only common sections of route are Shields Interchange to KFC, Chi to Winskills and Valley View to Jarrow Bus Station.

You could use a common brand yes, but there is no way of operating them in an interworking pattern which stays solely within South Tyneside without remote driver changeovers. That creates increased dead mileage and as Washington is the closest depot to Jarrow - you'd have to allow 20mins in each direction per changeover. I doubt many drivers will be happy to sit and take their break in a van in Jarrow Bus Station like they used to years ago. All that would pretty much only be for the purpose of maintaining a single uniform South Tyneside GNE brand.

Current allocation of Corporate livery vehicles on the 9/5 and 50/26 works well enough in my view.

Percy Main is the closest depot to Jarrow mind and is only 10 minutes away max, it's barely any different to Deptford to Park Lane really.

I know this isn't the reason people are giving but one argument could be so the 5/26 could be ran by minibuses which is all they need then the Streetlites / Streetdecks could be used on routes that actually need bigger buses especially the 50 so the Deckers aren't being wasted in Jarrow carrying fresh air.

The extra cost of driver changeovers would be offset by the savings in milage of using bigger vehicles when they're really not needed. Plus it would solve the problem of Percy Main having drivers with no routes since they scrapped everything - the Q3 could return to Riverside.
(25 Apr 2022, 7:04 am)KingSlayerRBLX wrote Yes but when it comes to summer we are on about the 50 can get be filled on mornings
But most of the busiest runs on the 50 are now decker operated, there's even now an extra run into Durham on a morning, if anything the loadings on the busy mornings are likely to decrease as you get closer to summer once some of the places of education in Durham finish the academic year, most New College students are finished by the end of June for example.

The StreetLite's used now have a higher seating capacity than the previously used Omni's (although a slighter lower standing & overall capacity).

Most of the times I've encountered standees on the 50 it's generally just a short hop from The Galleries.
(25 Apr 2022, 9:49 am)Jimmi wrote But most of the busiest runs on the 50 are now decker operated, there's even now an extra run into Durham on a morning, if anything the loadings on the busy mornings are likely to decrease as you get closer to summer once some of the places of education in Durham finish the academic year, most New College students are finished by the end of June for example.

The StreetLite's used now have a higher seating capacity than the previously used Omni's (although a slighter lower standing & overall capacity).

Most of the times I've encountered standees on the 50 it's generally just a short hop from The Galleries.

I suppose the point here is the word ‘most’. I don’t know exact numbers on this, but from the replies in this thread, I’m led to believe that the 26 isn’t as popular as the 50. Some are even suggesting that the 26 could be solo operated - but if it does need a full size single decker - at what point do they say the interworking pattern isn’t appropriate anymore? Would they also give the 204 around Durham, a double decker allocation just because it happened to work timings wise with X5/X15? Seems like a waste of double decker to me.

Lots of cuts/realignment of services could happen over the next few months so it’ll be interesting to see what happens but a standalone 50 (which it used to before?) if the 50 could justify being fully double deckers seems like the right move imo. As mentioned, Percy Main lost a few routes so 26/5 together from there may be an option.
(25 Apr 2022, 12:32 pm)Drifter60 wrote I suppose the point here is the word ‘most’. I don’t know exact numbers on this, but from the replies in this thread, I’m led to believe that the 26 isn’t as popular as the 50. Some are even suggesting that the 26 could be solo operated - but if it does need a full size single decker - at what point do they say the interworking pattern isn’t appropriate anymore? Would they also give the 204 around Durham, a double decker allocation just because it happened to work timings wise with X5/X15? Seems like a waste of double decker to me.

Lots of cuts/realignment of services could happen over the next few months so it’ll be interesting to see what happens but a standalone 50 (which it used to before?) if the 50 could justify being fully double deckers seems like the right move imo. As mentioned, Percy Main lost a few routes so 26/5 together from there may be an option.

The 26 is busy, but not double decker busy. THe thing is with the 50 it takes like 1 hour and 32 Mins, which for a every 30 mins service is a bit bad. You could just have it operated every 20 mins with Streetlites and the StreetDecks could go on a better route.

You could have the 5&26 operate with possible changeovers with Deptford at Jarrow and South Sheilds