You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Vintage buses on B1 and Toontour

Ne14ne1
(29 May 2021, 7:25 pm)Adrian wrote To follow on from the above, this was superbly managed on the ground today. The Toon Tour especially seemed to be well-received and very popular. The vintage bus ran in a pair with one of the accessible buses, so nobody was missed out on the route.

There was no commentary or MC on the Routemaster, but commentary sheets were given out. Those who wanted commentary were directed to the normal Toon Tour bus.
Pleased that this year, the Toon Tour is included in the standard ticketing range. Unlike Edinburgh or London for example, there isn't an awful lot to see by way of tourist attractions in Newcastle itself, so it doesn't really warrant a ticket of its own.

So its a well-done from me, but hopefully the feedback about putting accessibility information on the website is taken on board.

Brilliant, sounds like a good day had by all.
RE: Vintage buses on B1 and Toontour
I’m still bemused why it serves Chester Le Street at all. CLS has a decent service level to Beamish already with an almost identical journey time and it limits the routes the B1 can take
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(30 May 2021, 2:52 pm)Ambassador wrote I’m still bemused why it serves Chester Le Street at all. CLS has a decent service level to Beamish already with an almost identical journey time and it limits the routes the B1 can take

It's probably a handy shuttle from CLS tbf as it runs non stop from there. The part that's confusing me is why 2099 us going non stop via Birtley instead of the usual route route along the A1M
(30 May 2021, 3:31 pm)GNE6312 wrote It's probably a handy shuttle from CLS tbf as it runs non stop from there. The part that's confusing me is why 2099 us going non stop via Birtley instead of the usual route route along the A1M

Maybe they aren't allowed to take it on the motorway, don't forget it's just on loan.

I'd also imagine if something goes wrong with it (which there is a good chance of given the age), they'd rather have people stranded in Birtley than on the side of a motorway with cars driving past at 70mph.

(30 May 2021, 3:41 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Prob don't want to over exert the vehicle down the A1.

And this
(30 May 2021, 3:45 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Maybe they aren't allowed to take it on the motorway, don't forget it's just on loan.

I'd also imagine if something goes wrong with it (which there is a good chance of given the age), they'd rather have people stranded in Birtley than on the side of a motorway with cars driving past at 70mph.

And this

Fair point

(30 May 2021, 4:07 pm)Micheal Aaron wrote Looks like it was well received by everyone. Possibly and hopefully sometime during July and August it happens again
Hopefully we can see more if this. And also heratige buses/coached doing dupes on other routes.
(30 May 2021, 12:05 pm)GNE6312 wrote Noticed yesterday on 2099 the driver went through Birtley instead of the A1M Which caused some delay at CLS
Either way, it's probably not too much difference unless Birtley is gridlocked. They don't go above 40 and while it wouldn't be going up the bank from the Valley to the Angel, its still quite the climb up from the roundabout.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
What on earth, I know on trains the loco could be several carriages away but on a bus, you're better off sitting downstairs near the engine if you want to hear it working. And if they want to feel the air on their face, well then there's open top buses for that.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(30 May 2021, 4:19 pm)GNE6312 wrote Fair point

Hopefully we can see more if this. And also heratige buses/coached doing dupes on other routes.

[Image: 51155712096_b70d5fb0b1_c.jpg]Northumbria Motor Services 369 / B693 BPU by kieron mathews, on Flickr

Probably wouldn’t happen, but would love to see this on the 10 (my local route).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(02 Jun 2021, 6:01 pm)GNE6312 wrote Thst would be great especially as (I think) northumbria ran a Hexham to Newcastle via Prudhoe route.

Yes they did, the 602 ran from Newcastle to Hexham via Prudhoe and is the same route as the 10 goes as it’s essentially the same but a different number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk