You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

How successful has Xlines been?

RE: How successful has Xlines been?
(09 Jan 2023, 9:02 pm)Michael wrote Hopefully its not long before the 8 is back to half hourly and the 39's are back to 15 mins combined on certain parts of the routes then.

Hopefully those are part of the changes in February.
I don't think that there will be any changes in February.

(09 Jan 2023, 10:04 pm)Unber43 wrote Just thinking it might be worth a try doing a loop, they've got a tonne of buses spare, so why not just tempt even just on a 6 month trial.
Apart from the cost of "trying something for 6 months" there aren't any spare drivers.
(09 Jan 2023, 10:49 pm)busmanT wrote I don't think that there will be any changes in February.

Apart from the cost of "trying something for 6 months" there aren't any spare drivers.
What about the 100 they're recruiting. 

Really say what we think they're increasing in Feb 65 3 drivers roughly. ASwell its not like the 78 is getting an increase but not a drivers increase just an added PVR which will give the layover in consett something like 35 mins (why it isn't 15 at Sunderland 20/25 at Consett I will never know)
(09 Jan 2023, 10:04 pm)Unber43 wrote Just thinking it might be worth a try doing a loop, they've got a tonne of buses spare, so why not just tempt even just on a 6 month trial.
Trying something for 6 months is part of the reason we have such an unsettled network that people evidently don't want to use.

I'd rather all companies would only make changes supported by a business plan in the short, medium and long term.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(09 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm)Adrian wrote Trying something for 6 months is part of the reason we have such an unsettled network that people evidently don't want to use.

I'd rather all companies would only make changes supported by a business plan in the short, medium and long term.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Well if its not making money remove it, then if it does (hopefully) they can keep it. To before it would support their sunderland network, which tbh could be helped by them all not just either going up the A690 or A183 and maybe a slower service going into the estate especially to locations like Washington/Durham and even possibly newcastle. 

One thing I've noticed that their is a lot of housing estates being built whether thats in Sunderland, near Chopwell, Consett, Newcastle and no company is matching their service to that demand.
(08 Jan 2023, 10:03 pm)Unber43 wrote Tbf just rebrand 5391-5394, however I'd imagine they would still get 15 mins layover in Durham heading to Seaham and coming back heading to Sunderland. 

And 5391-5394 I believe have all had a new engine 5394 came back friday after being off for just over 5 weeks

56/60/10/10A/10B all need new buses. 60 especially the eCitaro should be going on that. 

60 would probs be the ideal candidate for the first electrification of a Deptford route.

Next Order should be for new buses for the 4/10/10A/10B/56/21/60

Upgrading the 21 can allow those streetdecks to go onto older services e.g 47/57/58/Loops/27
And where is the money coming from to spaff away on new buses?
Kind Regards
Tez
(09 Jan 2023, 11:28 pm)V514DFT wrote And where is the money coming from to spaff away on new buses?
Presumably these routes make money, therefore money they make pay for buses.

(09 Jan 2023, 4:56 pm)L469 YVK wrote Not forgetting that the 4/10/10A/10B and 56 are being ran by heavy duty vehicles. I'd imagine most of the reliability issues on the 10/10A/10B have been sorted since 6043-48 were removed after doing god knows how many miles on the X9/X10
Who'd thought moving unreliable buses to be another route wouldn't cause any issues, there has been 3 47's off pretty much all the time.
(09 Jan 2023, 5:46 pm)DeltaMan wrote To be fair to GNE..if the temporary changes were to be permanent then they should have formally registered them to start on 1st January. Like Stagecoach North East did - in order to establish a settled position.

Well technically the 10 and 12 (was the one I was thinking of) have been registered properly and any reference of them being temporary doesn't exist anymore.

If the rumoured changes here are coming in then the 20/20A might become a formal registration aswell. Bolting the 65 onto it doesn't seem the sort of timetable change you'd do if it was just temporary but I could be wrong.
(09 Jan 2023, 11:42 pm)Storx wrote Well technically the 10 and 12 (was the one I was thinking of) have been registered properly and any reference of them being temporary doesn't exist anymore.

If the rumoured changes here are coming in then the 20/20A might become a formal registration aswell. Bolting the 65 onto it doesn't seem the sort of timetable change you'd do if it was just temporary but I could be wrong.
Wait so the 10B/10A is staying hourly ouch for customers. 

But you know its not like GNE depend on customers.
(09 Jan 2023, 11:43 pm)Unber43 wrote Wait so the 10B/10A is staying hourly ouch for customers. 

But you know its not like GNE depend on customers.

Not sure but wouldn't be surprised. As far as I'm aware there's no capacity problems on the 10/10A/10B/12 at the new frequency. 

Guess it depends if they ever sort the driver shortage out.
(10 Jan 2023, 12:07 am)Storx wrote Not sure but wouldn't be surprised. As far as I'm aware there's no capacity problems on the 10/10A/10B/12 at the new frequency. 

Guess it depends if they ever sort the driver shortage out.
No it's just kinda the fact that that at Greenside have to have a hourly service. 

Something which you could do is run the 10 once per hour via continue A695 after Crawcook so it can go through Prudhoe then continue to Newcastle or Hexahm and then the 10B can go the current way having a 30 min frequency on each bit of road

However with the 10A I wonder if there is something you maybe add onto the 12 (tho that would be missing the metro which is quite a popular destination), but extend the 12 maybe under the 12A Hourly to Newcastle - Winlaton - Greenside then possibly Painshawfield as I was looking on Google Maps trying to find a way for this to work and I saw that the a lot of the houses are over a mile walk to the bus stop, its an utapped housing area.
(08 Jan 2023, 10:03 pm)Unber43 wrote 56/60/10/10A/10B all need new buses. 60 especially the eCitaro should be going on that. 

60 would probs be the ideal candidate for the first electrification of a Deptford route.

Next Order should be for new buses for the 4/10/10A/10B/56/21/60

Upgrading the 21 can allow those streetdecks to go onto older services e.g 47/57/58/Loops/27

to be honest the 60 should have new buses, although i highly doubt there’ll be electric investment at deptford as there is no requirements/rules around air quality or CAZ and there doesn’t seem to be any in planning and if one does come into place im sure new shiny euro 6 buses will do just fine. Not just that but also electric buses cost a good deal more compared to diesel and that’s a good deal of money that go north east don’t have to spend. All the streetlites on the 60 really need is just a repaint and refurb, they seem to run fine, i get it at least twice everyday and have never had a problem with one.
(10 Jan 2023, 12:24 am)ALavery wrote to be honest the 60 should have new buses, although i highly doubt there’ll be electric investment at deptford as there is no requirements/rules around air quality or CAZ and there doesn’t seem to be any in planning and if one does come into place im sure new shiny euro 6 buses will do just fine. Not just that but also electric buses cost a good deal more compared to diesel and that’s a good deal of money that go north east don’t have to spend. All the streetlites on the 60 really need is just a repaint and refurb, they seem to run fine, i get it at least twice everyday and have never had a problem with one.
But the issue is with them is you put brand new buses on a profitable route to displace other older buses on less profitable route 

e.g Replace the Connections 4 Citaros and then you can put them on the 35 which has quite old buses, which aren't as good as the buses they even did replace. 

Thats why certain route imo should get brand new buses roughly every 4-7 years, 21/X21/10/10A/10B/56/60/20 which can displace other buses in the fleet.
Site Administrator
(09 Jan 2023, 11:42 pm)Storx wrote Well technically the 10 and 12 (was the one I was thinking of) have been registered properly and any reference of them being temporary doesn't exist anymore.

There was a requirement to revise the temporary timetable on the 10 and 12 to offer a solution for reliability issues. The frequency reduction remains temporary.

Regarding the 20/20A and 65, I think this is nothing short of speculation at this stage. There have been no internal communications about this, so feels like rumour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote pid="290366" dateline="1673301185"]
[quote pid="290363" dateline="1673299327"]
----

Don't think they would risk areas like Thorney
Close, Grindon, Springwell etc, all Stagecoach with good passenger numbers.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Wasn't that the point of 1986. Competition etc...
(10 Jan 2023, 11:58 am)idiot wrote [quote pid="290366" dateline="1673301185"]
[quote pid="290363" dateline="1673299327"]
----

Don't think they would risk areas like Thorney
Close, Grindon, Springwell etc, all Stagecoach with good passenger numbers.

[/quote]
Wasn't that the point of 1986. Competition etc...
[/quote]

Yea, but the government didn’t realise that private bus companies would buy or run off independents into the ground leaving the major players coming to an agreement by carving up territory areas and use there profits to their own gains rather than put money back into the system, GNE are very doubtful to go into areas of stagecoach I. Thorney close, Grindon and Springwell areas unless it’s secured work by the local authority .

(10 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm)cbma06 wrote Yea, but the government didn’t realise that private bus companies would buy or run off independents into the ground leaving the major players coming to an agreement by carving up territory areas and use there profits to their own gains rather than put money back into the system, GNE are very doubtful to go into areas of stagecoach I. Thorney close, Grindon and Springwell areas unless it’s secured work by the local authority .

Shows how broke the system is though, a loop service on the 39 would be a great way to connect these "Stagecoach" areas like Thorney Close with "GNE" areas like Ryhope, people in Sunderland aren't broken up into different territories so it seems mad that bus services are.
(10 Jan 2023, 12:41 pm)deanmachine wrote Shows how broke the system is though, a loop service on the 39 would be a great way to connect these "Stagecoach" areas like Thorney Close with "GNE" areas like Ryhope, people in Sunderland aren't broken up into different territories so it seems mad that bus services are.

There used to be a service between Thorney Close and Ryhope, but wasn’t profitable and the service has been broken up into pieces, these days if the services making a loss then private bus companies are not going to waste money down the drain as some passenger/enthusiast wants a service from A to B and not have to change to another bus to get to there destination, just wait and see what the fall out when April arrives when the government money runs out as private Bus companies already making a loss with these handouts.

(10 Jan 2023, 6:20 am)Dan wrote There was a requirement to revise the temporary timetable on the 10 and 12 to offer a solution for reliability issues. The frequency reduction remains temporary.

Regarding the 20/20A and 65, I think this is nothing short of speculation at this stage. There have been no internal communications about this, so feels like rumour.

Yeah that's fair had a feeling they might have been rumours and nothing more. I'll be very surprised if the 12 ever gets back up though.

(10 Jan 2023, 12:41 pm)deanmachine wrote Shows how broke the system is though, a loop service on the 39 would be a great way to connect these "Stagecoach" areas like Thorney Close with "GNE" areas like Ryhope, people in Sunderland aren't broken up into different territories so it seems mad that bus services are.

In fairness it's a problem everywhere, loop services just don't do well as the vast majority of people just don't want to travel between nowhere and nowhere. It's not unique to Sunderland where every route heads to the centre.

Newcastle is particularly bad as it's nigh on impossible to get to Kingston Park and/or Metro Centre without doubling back on yourself via Newcastle in the West End unless you happen to live on the 6/7 which run to the far extremes of the city and even that hourly in the case of Kingston Park (which are a waste of time).