You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: BSIP Improvement Suggestions
(19 Aug 2024, 6:39 am)morritt89 wrote My suggestion would be the old Sunderland to Newcastle X36 via the north estates in Sunderland reintroduced but operated by Stagecoach to fit in with their existing network around those areas. Potentially an X14 or X44.

I dunno about Newcastle, but an extension of the 4 to Boldon and Heworth could be a useful link given how appalling the links are with the Metro to anywhere not called South Hylton.
(22 Aug 2024, 2:59 pm)DeltaMan wrote I dunno about Newcastle, but an extension of the 4 to Boldon and Heworth could be a useful link given how appalling the links are with the Metro to anywhere not called South Hylton.

See, if I was doing an express I'd work with the X58 and do something like this (via Marlborough Road):
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.92606...?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDgyMC4xIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

What route is does to Sunderland City Centre someone else can decide, it would be quite unique that it would have peak flows in both directions ie:

Newcastle / Heworth to Follingsby and Nissan
and
North Sunderland / Sunderland to Nissan and Follingsby

The links to both are terrible really, especially Follingsby to Wearside and Nissan to Heworth which don't exist, plus it serves Stephenson Road which is currently busless.
Not sure if my mind is playing tricks but wasn't there once a Stagecoach service that went from Sunderland to Boldon Asda (I'm thinking it was the 5 and it also went to/from Doxford Park Morrisons store entrance inside the car park) however I stand to be corrected.

Heworth to Sunderland by bus would be useful for when there is no Metro, I agree with that.
(11 Sep 2024, 7:28 pm)ne14ne1 wrote I don’t think these three or four bus stops collapsed on their own.

Exactly. It's not better bus stops that are required, it's less careless driving. 

That newer style of shelter is actually significantly better than what Nexus place elsewhere around the region. I don't think it's even been up that long.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(11 Sep 2024, 8:02 pm)Adrian wrote Exactly. It's not better bus stops that are required, it's less careless driving. 

That newer style of shelter is actually significantly better than what Nexus place elsewhere around the region. I don't think it's even been up that long.

In fairness, there probably is some discussion about the bus stops considering that the original ones were there for around 20 year and I can't remember one of them ever being hit to stage it completely fell down without a bus ending up with severe damage.

This is the 4th one of these new ones now that's done it now which seems abnormal. I'm not sure a bus clipping a bus stop should be resulting in the whole thing falling to the ground, the damage sustained there looks like a bus has hit it at 30 mph straight on.

Not excusing the bad driving aswell, of course, but these things happen.
(11 Sep 2024, 9:00 pm)Storx wrote In fairness, there probably is some discussion about the bus stops considering that the original ones were there for around 20 year and I can't remember one of them ever being hit to stage it completely fell down without a bus ending up with severe damage.

This is the 4th one of these new ones now that's done it now which seems abnormal. I'm not sure a bus clipping a bus stop should be resulting in the whole thing falling to the ground, the damage sustained there looks like a bus has hit it at 30 mph straight on.

Clipped it? It's hit it hard enough to take the foundation out, looking at the photo!

It's a rigid structure. It's not designed to take an impact. A lamppost will do the same thing if hit.
(11 Sep 2024, 9:03 pm)Adrian wrote Clipped it? It's hit it hard enough to take the foundation out, looking at the photo!

It's a rigid structure. It's not designed to take an impact. A lamppost will do the same thing if hit.

Aye that's my point, according to Chronicle, it just clipped it according to people standing by, even mentioning it was just a wing mirror (don't believe that though).

Obviously don't want to speculate, but if that's true then, I don't know what's going on with the bus shelter.

Who knows, they seems to buckle these shelters though as I don't believe 6347 got much damage when it wiped the one out on Newgate Street either. Guessing how quick 11167 is back on the road is a good indicator though as I assume that's the vehicle which hit it as it stopped tracking just before 12pm in Newcastle.
There's a video doing the rounds on Facebook which shows a bus at a 45 degree angle next to the collapsed stop. The bus doesn't appear to have any damage (no obvious smashed glass) and the wing mirror (which judging by the angle the bus appears to be at) is attached.

Is the issue flimsy shelters or poor foundations? I wouldn't like to think what would happen if one of the Sunderland shelters with the plants on top collapsed onto people below. I know certain bollards when hit are designed just to bend and flip back up if they are hit. A bus stop pole near my house was hit months ago (metal pole with flag on the top) and it just bent at point of impact (subsequently cut down).

I agree with the careless driving comments above though. Overhangs and projections are one of the first thing talked about when driving a large vehicle (its even part of the theory test).
(12 Sep 2024, 1:59 pm)morritt89 wrote There's a video doing the rounds  on Facebook which shows a bus at a 45 degree angle next to the collapsed stop. The bus doesn't appear to have any damage (no obvious smashed glass) and the wing mirror (which judging by the angle the bus appears to be at) is attached.

Is the issue flimsy shelters or poor foundations? I wouldn't like to think what would happen if one of the Sunderland shelters with the plants on top  collapsed onto people below. I know certain bollards when hit are designed just to bend and flip back up if they are hit. A bus stop pole near my house was hit months ago (metal pole with flag on the top) and it just bent at point of impact (subsequently cut down).

I agree with the careless driving comments above though. Overhangs and projections are one of the first thing talked about when driving a large vehicle (its even part of the theory test).

It's certainly a strange one, just mentioning the bus in the post above there doesn't appear to be anything off road as a result of it.

Wonder if it might be related to the advertising side of the shelter and there being a lack of support and it's actually the roof sliding off which has uprooted the poles rather than the bus directly. If I'm right the one on Newgate Street was similar.

Definitely seems like there's a design flaw somewhere though.
(12 Sep 2024, 1:59 pm)morritt89 wrote There's a video doing the rounds  on Facebook which shows a bus at a 45 degree angle next to the collapsed stop. The bus doesn't appear to have any damage (no obvious smashed glass) and the wing mirror (which judging by the angle the bus appears to be at) is attached.

Is the issue flimsy shelters or poor foundations? I wouldn't like to think what would happen if one of the Sunderland shelters with the plants on top  collapsed onto people below. I know certain bollards when hit are designed just to bend and flip back up if they are hit. A bus stop pole near my house was hit months ago (metal pole with flag on the top) and it just bent at point of impact (subsequently cut down).

I've seen a video doing the rounds that shows the bus shelter damage in more detail. I'll not share it because it clearly identifies the driver, but I'd say the shelter looks to be approx 200-250mm set into concrete as a foundation. I think most modern street signs will do what you describe now, and part of it is to absorb crash damage. I suppose the same goes for a bus shelter collapsing, rather than standing firm. 

Funnily enough, I used a cross-city Stagecoach service yesterday afternoon, and I'm surprised that more shelters aren't wiped out. Bus was running late and we had a near miss with the bus stop outside of St James' Point.