You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(05 May 2015, 9:55 pm)Robert wrote It will always be the Lime for me. Its what i have known then routes as for years.

See that's like me! I probably will still call it lime and I was disappointed when the name was changed 
Site Administrator
(05 May 2015, 9:55 pm)Robert wrote It will always be the Lime for me. Its what i have known then routes as for years.

Honestly think this is just the transition between the two brand names talking. I myself slipped up and called it the "Lime" at the Metrocentre, and Marcus sharp corrected me. Give it a few months and "Lime" will be completely forgotten about.

Does anyone still call the 4 "MetroLINK"? I admit to having called it the M1 a few weeks after the changes, but never since...
Site Administrator
(04 May 2015, 7:40 pm)pdiddy wrote When is the next lot of buses coming up from Brighton!!!

(04 May 2015, 7:44 pm)citaro5284 wrote There was suppose to be some Saturday gone.

Following the four arrivals from Brighton & Hove on 25/04/15, six further similar examples were reported on Flickr to have arrived last weekend. The complete list of the ten arrivals so far therefore is:
  • 607 (GX03 SUH) - now numbered 6123 in the GNE fleet
  • 608 (GX03 SUU) - now numbered 6124 in the GNE fleet
  • 609 (GX03 SUV) - now numbered 6125 in the GNE fleet
  • 610 (GX03 SUY) - now numbered 6126 in the GNE fleet
  • 611 (GX03 SVA) - now numbered 6127 in the GNE fleet
  • 612 (GX03 SVC) - now numbered 6128 in the GNE fleet
  • 614 (GX03 SVE) - now numbered 6130 in the GNE fleet
  • 615 (GX03 SSU) - now numbered 6122 in the GNE fleet
  • 619 (YN04 GYE) - now numbered 6131 in the GNE fleet
  • 621 (YN04 GJG) - now numbered 6133 in the GNE fleet

6129 has not yet arrived, but 6130 and above have, so we can put money on at least one further arrival coming at some point...

It's also worth noting that the first cascade as a result of the entry into service of new vehicles on services 8/78 at Stanley has now occurred. Former "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4902 (W902 RBB) transferred to Riverside Depot yesterday, and should enter service today.
(05 May 2015, 3:36 pm)Robert wrote At least we now know why the Lime was renamed Coast&Country: http://www.simplygo.com/news/7m-investme...-bus-fleet

Quote: wroteThe Lime is being renamed Coast & Country to reflect that it follows the coast to country cycle track from Consett to Sunderland passing through Stanley, Beamish and Washington.

The coast to country cycle track is part of the former Railway Line Sunderland to Consett, which the railway line went through the south side of Washington.

(06 May 2015, 5:54 am)Dan wrote Following the four arrivals from Brighton & Hove on 25/04/15, six further similar examples were reported on Flickr to have arrived last weekend. The complete list of the ten arrivals so far therefore is:

6129 has not yet arrived, but 6130 and above have, so we can put money on at least one further arrival coming at some point...

It's also worth noting that the first cascade as a result of the entry into service of new vehicles on services 8/78 at Stanley has now occurred. Former "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4902 (W902 RBB) transferred to Riverside Depot yesterday, and should enter service today.

Seems they're keen to keep rest of the B10's at Stanley Tongue

GNE have now updated the 47 tab to "The Red Kite" from the the "ToonLink" - Timetable has also being moved over to "The Red Kite" tab
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(06 May 2015, 6:07 am)cbma06 wrote The coast to country cycle track is part of the former Railway Line Sunderland to Consett, which the railway line went through the south side of Washington.

But as someone else has already said, the cycle track is not known as the 'Coast and Country'. It is known as the 'Sea to Sea', hence 'c2c'.

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/
(06 May 2015, 5:54 am)Dan wrote Following the four arrivals from Brighton & Hove on 25/04/15, six further similar examples were reported on Flickr to have arrived last weekend. The complete list of the ten arrivals so far therefore is:

Should 6122 not be 6132!!!

Otherwise there should be at least 2 more  Rolleyes

I heard 21 in total, which would be 11 more
Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 7:51 am)pdiddy wrote Should 6122 not be 6132!!!

Otherwise there should be at least 2 more  Rolleyes

I heard 21 in total, which would be 11 more

No - unlike in the Brighton & Hove fleet, our fleet numbers have been allocated by registration in alphabetical order.

The "Red Kite" Volvo B9TL vehicles finish at 6121, so the next double decker starts at 6122. 6132 certainly missing, too, though. Wink 
(05 May 2015, 9:59 pm)leestransportphotos wrote See that's like me! I probably will still call it lime and I was disappointed when the name was changed

Always numbers for me like.

(06 May 2015, 7:47 am)MurdnunoC wrote But as someone else has already said, the cycle track is not known as the 'Coast and Country'. It is known as the 'Sea to Sea', hence 'c2c'.

There is the coast and castles cyclepath in Northumberland, but the one referred to by GNE is definitely the Sea to Sea.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 May 2015, 5:44 pm)Michael wrote Wonder when GNE will give us info on the Q1 changes, although its still 2 months away..

And the diversions to services like 20, with Doxford Park interchange closed for several nights (2000-0600 if I remember right) from later on this week.

Hopefully the message gets out to those waiting at say Doxford Park after their shift finishes - or even needing to get to work.
(06 May 2015, 7:47 am)MurdnunoC wrote But as someone else has already said, the cycle track is not known as the 'Coast and Country'. It is known as the 'Sea to Sea', hence 'c2c'.

Im just stating what is says on the GNE website

By GNE website states "The Red Kite service which follows the Red Kite trail from Newcastle and Metrocentre to Rowlands Gill and Consett will receive new vehicles, as will the Lime service. The Lime is being renamed Coast & Country to reflect that it follows the coast to country cycle track from Consett to Sunderland passing through Stanley, Beamish and Washington."

http://www.simplygo.com/news/7m-investme...-bus-fleet

(06 May 2015, 10:14 am)cbma06 wrote Im just stating what is says on the GNE website

By GNE website states "The Red Kite service which follows the Red Kite trail from Newcastle and Metrocentre to Rowlands Gill and Consett will receive new vehicles, as will the Lime service. The Lime is being renamed Coast & Country to reflect that it follows the coast to country cycle track from Consett to Sunderland passing through Stanley, Beamish and Washington."

http://www.simplygo.com/news/7m-investme...-bus-fleet

As I said yesterday and Murdno has said today, they have got the name of the cycle route wrong.

Even wikipedia has two names. The third one (which looks like it is completely made up), which adorns the expensive new vehicles, isn't even on the wikipedia site. Never mind the official one.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_to_Sea_Cycle_Route

It is like re-branding the 20 as the Wear to Wetherspoons, seeing as it follows the W2W cycle route, between Sunderland and Durham.

The 78 may follow the C2C, it may go from Coast to Country and vice versa, but the cycleway it is supposedly named after (according to the press release), isn't the Coast to Country.

Basic stuff, but quite embarrassing for them if Sustrans ever pick up on it.
4902 entered service at Riverside on 90 this morning. Should be on 64/64A/95/96. 

5164 and 8242 parked up at depot this morning, possibly withdrawn now.
Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 5:54 am)Dan wrote It's also worth noting that the first cascade as a result of the entry into service of new vehicles on services 8/78 at Stanley has now occurred. Former "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4902 (W902 RBB) transferred to Riverside Depot yesterday, and should enter service today.

(06 May 2015, 6:14 am)Michael wrote Seems they're keen to keep rest of the B10's at Stanley Tongue

As reported on the "Rare & Odd Workings" thread, Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns 4898 (V988 ETN) and 4899 (V989 ETN) have now also transferred from Stanley Depot to Riverside.

Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4847 (R847 PRG) has also been withdrawn from Stanley and is presently in storage at Saltmeadows with all of the other recently withdrawn vehicles: 4853 (R853 PRG), 4854 (R854 PRG) and 4855 (R855 PRG), as well as 8293 (NK54 PHV) and the articulated Scanias, of course.
Just out of curiosity, how many of you feel that the Streetlites are rather slow.

Just that when I was on the 2 earlier on one of the 11reg Versas, 5409 went passed as we stopped at Hastings Hill to let a Wheel Chair Passenger off, obviously during this time the driver would have get out of his cab to get the ramp out etc, this would therefore allow 5409 to get quite far ahead right, well not quite we caught 5409 up just before the Roundabout at Penshaw Monument which I was quite shocked by considering we were at a Standstill for around a Minute while the Wheelchair alighted, I cant help but think if that was a B10BLE Wright Renown that it would been long gone, probably at the other end of Penshaw I think.

On top of that I used the 8 twice yesterday between Washington Galleries and Sunderland, going up/down Washington Highway felt like forever before we built up any form of speed as they are very slow in accelerating, by which time the Vehicle would have to slow down at a Junction, dont even get me started on my return journey on 5406, heating on full blast coupled with the "New Vehicle Smell" and "Leather" isnt pleasant at all whatsoever.

Which leads me to the conclusion that GNE have went for Quantity over Quality, basically theyve bought the Supermarket equivalent of "Asda Smart Price Beans" which isnt very nice, when they should of bought a tin of Heinz instead in the form of Mercedes Citaros, Maybe my opinion will change in the future when I use them to go up Stanley and Consett for Photographs in a few weeks, but thus far I am not to impressed on these Lightweight Vehicles, finishing on a positive, I do like the e-leather Seating, Wood Effect flooring and Branding on the Vehicles for the Services in which they have been purchased for.
X84 from Corbridge first thing this morning - as we turned off the A69 towards Ovington about 09:20 there was a red GNE single-decker parked up on the verge with everything turned off and nobody in attendance. I'm guessing it was a breakdown from an earlier run.

Driver probably caught the Hexham-bound bus back to the depot.
(06 May 2015, 4:47 pm)Malarkey wrote Just out of curiosity, how many of you feel that the Streetlites are rather slow.

Just that when I was on the 2 earlier on one of the 11reg Versas, 5409 went passed as we stopped at Hastings Hill to let a Wheel Chair Passenger off, obviously during this time the driver would have get out of his cab to get the ramp out etc, this would therefore allow 5409 to get quite far ahead right, well not quite we caught 5409 up just before the Roundabout at Penshaw Monument which I was quite shocked by considering we were at a Standstill for around a Minute while the Wheelchair alighted, I cant help but think if that was a B10BLE Wright Renown that it would been long gone, probably at the other end of Penshaw I think.

On top of that I used the 8 twice yesterday between Washington Galleries and Sunderland, going up/down Washington Highway felt like forever before we built up any form of speed as they are very slow in accelerating, by which time the Vehicle would have to slow down at a Junction, dont even get me started on my return journey on 5406, heating on full blast coupled with the "New Vehicle Smell" and "Leather" isnt pleasant at all whatsoever.

Which leads me to the conclusion that GNE have went for Quantity over Quality, basically theyve bought the Supermarket equivalent of "Asda Smart Price Beans" which isnt very nice, when they should of bought a tin of Heinz instead in the form of Mercedes Citaros, Maybe my opinion will change in the future when I use them to go up Stanley and Consett for Photographs in a few weeks, but thus far I am not to impressed on these Lightweight Vehicles, finishing on a positive, I do like the e-leather Seating, Wood Effect flooring and Branding on the Vehicles for the Services in which they have been purchased for.

Is it possible that it might have just been a slow driver. I've been on the X66 a few times and I can't fault the way it climbs up the bank along Centrelink and up toward Gateshead
(06 May 2015, 4:48 pm)G-CPTN wrote X84 from Corbridge first thing this morning - as we turned off the A69 towards Ovington about 09:20 there was a red GNE single-decker parked up on the verge with everything turned off and nobody in attendance. I'm guessing it was a breakdown from an earlier run.

It's more likely that it was the vehicle from Hexham waiting to start the 686 service to Prudhoe, which runs light to there having done a Hexham Schools service.
Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 4:47 pm)Malarkey wrote Just out of curiosity, how many of you feel that the Streetlites are rather slow.

Andreos1 posted his review of the lower specification Streetlite Micro-Hybrids on the X66 here. Aside from the comments regarding heat from the back of the bus, which appears to be standard on most/all recent new builds (including the Volvo B5TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 and Euro 6 Mercedes Citaro) as well as the lack of leg-room, it was a generally positive review.

How quick the Streetlite Micro-Hybrids are ultimately depends on their set-up. As far as I know, Go North East has had none of the issues Arriva North East had with their similar examples prior to them having work done to improve the performance, so I can only assume that they are set-up to be favourable on power opposed to efficiency, given the heavy endurance nature of the routes for which they have been purchased. What I will say is that I think it ultimately depends on how heavily loaded the bus is, as well as who is driving it. I have been on a Streetlite Micro-Hybrid with just one other person on-board (the driver), and on a Streetlite Micro-Hybrid with a full load including standees in public service. The difference in performance was quite substantial; heading up the bank to the Metrocentre Interchange, the former flew up, whereas the latter seemed to take a bit more time. I think slow acceleration is common on all newer buses, rather than it being a Streetlite issue.

The Streetlite Micro-Hybrids are limited in speed to 50mph, but there shouldn't really be an instance where a bus has to exceed this speed on the 8/78 routes? Obviously what I think is important to note is that you don't know what went on ahead, while the bus was out of sight. The driver of 5409 may have had to stop to let a wheelchair user on himself, or could have encountered an issue that he had to pull up to a bus stop and resolve. It'd be quite short-sighted to assume that just because you caught the bus up, the Streetlite Micro-Hybrid didn't stop and was just awfully slow.

Don't get me wrong, the Streetlites are no Mercedes Citaros (at least not the Euro 5 versions - I wasn't particularly keen on the Euro 6 variant), but I think they're suitable for their purpose within the fleet. Time will tell if that changes in years to come, but for the foreseeable future, I think they should be quite alright.
(06 May 2015, 4:55 pm)JP6004 wrote Is it possible that it might have just been a slow driver. I've been on the X66 a few times and I can't fault the way it climbs up the bank along Centrelink and up toward Gateshead

I have seen James "Captain Slow" May  drive faster than that in a Dacia Sandero on Top Gear, if you think about it though that Bank on the Centrelink isnt steep at all, and a Streetlite should get up there with great ease at Speed, wouldnt mind seeing one go up that Bank in Blaydon if you were heading up to Winlaton.
(06 May 2015, 5:03 pm)Dan wrote Andreos1 posted his review of the lower specification Streetlite Micro-Hybrids on the X66 here. Aside from the comments regarding heat from the back of the bus, which appears to be standard on most/all recent new builds (including the Volvo B5TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 and Euro 6 Mercedes Citaro) as well as the lack of leg-room, it was a generally positive review.

How quick the Streetlite Micro-Hybrids are ultimately depends on their set-up. As far as I know, Go North East has had none of the issues Arriva North East had with their similar examples prior to them having work done to improve the performance, so I can only assume that they are set-up to be favourable on power opposed to efficiency, given the heavy endurance nature of the routes for which they have been purchased. What I will say is that I think it ultimately depends on how heavily loaded the bus is, as well as who is driving it. I have been on a Streetlite Micro-Hybrid with just one other person on-board (the driver), and on a Streetlite Micro-Hybrid with a full load including standees in public service. The difference in performance was quite substantial; heading up the bank to the Metrocentre Interchange, the former flew up, whereas the latter seemed to take a bit more time. I think slow acceleration is common on all newer buses, rather than it being a Streetlite issue.

The Streetlite Micro-Hybrids are limited in speed to 50mph, but there shouldn't really be an instance where a bus has to exceed this speed on the 8/78 routes? Obviously what I think is important to note is that you don't know what went on ahead, while the bus was out of sight. The driver of 5409 may have had to stop to let a wheelchair user on himself, or could have encountered an issue that he had to pull up to a bus stop and resolve. It'd be quite short-sighted to assume that just because you caught the bus up, the Streetlite Micro-Hybrid didn't stop and was just awfully slow.

Don't get me wrong, the Streetlites are no Mercedes Citaros (at least not the Euro 5 versions - I wasn't particularly keen on the Euro 6 variant), but I think they're suitable for their purpose within the fleet. Time will tell if that changes in years to come, but for the foreseeable future, I think they should be quite alright.

Million Dollar Question, Who gets off a Bus between Hastings Hill and Penshaw Monument at Offerton particularly in a Wheelchair?
(06 May 2015, 4:48 pm)G-CPTN wrote X84 from Corbridge first thing this morning - as we turned off the A69 towards Ovington about 09:20 there was a red GNE single-decker parked up on the verge with everything turned off and nobody in attendance. I'm guessing it was a breakdown from an earlier run.

eezypeazyIt's more likely that it was the vehicle from Hexham waiting to start the 686 service to Prudhoe, which runs light to there having done a Hexham Schools service.
Fair comment and a logical explanation - thank-you.
Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 5:18 pm)Malarkey wrote Million Dollar Question, Who gets off a Bus between Hastings Hill and Penshaw Monument at Offerton particularly in a Wheelchair?

You don't know in this instance, and neither do I. Even if it is unlikely, it cannot be excluded as a possible explanation.

From my experiences, it tends to be walkers who board / alight the bus at Offerton, but it doesn't mean to say a wheelchair user would never board / alight at this location either.
(06 May 2015, 5:20 pm)Dan wrote You don't know in this instance, and neither do I. Even if it is unlikely, it cannot be excluded as a possible explanation.

From my experiences, it tends to be walkers who board / alight the bus at Offerton, but it doesn't mean to say a wheelchair user would never board / alight at this location either.

Would not fancy seeing a Wheelchair user going across two dual carriage ways at Offerton mind, think we will nip this in the bud and put it down to a very slow driver of 5409 rather than other likely reasons.

We shall see if my opinion changes in the coming weeks Dan, expect a Marcus like review Wink .
(06 May 2015, 5:37 pm)Robert wrote 5415 appears to have arrived. Don't know how long its been here for:

[Image: 17185350057_127801c5c3.jpg]P5050007 by guyparkroyal, on Flickr

By the picture GNE havnt put a frequency of the service on the side yet.

Site Administrator
(06 May 2015, 5:42 pm)cbma06 wrote By the picture GNE havnt put a frequency of the service on the side yet.

You can just see the vinyls inside hanging next to the cab area - they'll get stuck on before they go out on the road! Smile