You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
Just come across a complaint about 'Miss Daisy' like drivers on the X21 / X22. Should be the same policy as GNE who send their drivers to Chester for training if they're deliberately running late and not driving to road and traffic conditions.
Ian Bradleys was seen taking 1924 away from Stockton Depot this morning (Still screened up from her last journey Stockton 17A) 

Not sure if it's repair or going to be held somewhere (keep an eye on Turners of Sedgefield or Gardeners of Spennymoor) 
A slightly revised allocation list has been released and the following additional movements are to take place:

In addition to Durham's 1461/2, Darlington additionally gain Jesmond's 1414 for the PVR increase on the 1/5/5A/19 from Monday.
(14 May 2015, 10:05 pm)Multi21 wrote Ian Bradleys was seen taking 1924 away from Stockton Depot this morning (Still screened up from her last journey Stockton 17A) 

Not sure if it's repair or going to be held somewhere (keep an eye on Turners of Sedgefield or Gardeners of Spennymoor) 

Gardiners for repair I believe!
2504 and 2505 are both withdrawn at Darlington now following failures.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(13 May 2015, 8:15 pm)Tom wrote Just noticed this on the Arriva website (changes from the 22nd March)

Service 35/35A: Morpeth – Ashington – North Seaton – Newbiggin

All journeys will run via North Seaton Demesne, giving Manley View, Summerhouse Lane and South Side new frequent links to Ashington, Morpeth and Newbiggin.
Buses will continue to run up to every 15 minutes on Monday to Saturday daytimes (hourly in the evening and on Sundays). However, there will be minor alterations to the timetable to improve punctuality and as a result of the route change at North Seaton.
Service 57 will continue to serve North Seaton Demesne as now. However, over the next few months, we will be consulting customers and local residents about alternative destinations for this service.

Service 57 to be rerouted?

Now that the 35/35A serves the Demesne, and that nobody uses the 57 on Alexandra Road, they'll probably cut it back to Ashington and have it serve the Cramlington A&E entrance.

Might get a surprise, Arriva seem to be doing more for local residents, as the 1 will go to Cresswell on Sundays.
(14 May 2015, 4:00 pm)Jimmi wrote Not all the StreetLite's are branded, saw 1595 with no branding on the 24 earlier.

Yep, 1595 sapphire branded but not route branded

Service 5A to Darlington is 10 minutes late

There is always something with this stupid service and I am getting increasingly fed up with it and I bet these so called improvements to the timetable on Sunday will only make things worse.

Sort it out Arriva as this is getting ridiculous now
(15 May 2015, 9:31 am)Tommy_1581 wrote Now that the 35/35A serves the Demesne, and that nobody uses the 57 on Alexandra Road, they'll probably cut it back to Ashington and have it serve the Cramlington A&E entrance.

Might get a surprise, Arriva seem to be doing more for local residents, as the 1 will go to Cresswell on Sundays.

I think there is going to be a shuttle bus to/from Cramlington Shops and Northumberland Park.

I think Wansbeck Hospital would be a good option, to provide direct links from North Tyneside and Cramlington.
Don't know if it has already been noted, bit 4813 has had its Mobitec screen removed and replaced with an old Hanover unit. Pity, because I think the Mobitec screens are far better
(16 May 2015, 4:32 am)MrPottski wrote Don't know if it has already been noted, bit 4813 has had its Mobitec screen removed and replaced with an old Hanover unit. Pity, because I think the Mobitec screens are far better

Isn't the 21 getting Next Stop Announcments? Perhaps only the Hanover units are compatible?
(16 May 2015, 4:32 am)MrPottski wrote Don't know if it has already been noted, bit 4813 has had its Mobitec screen removed and replaced with an old Hanover unit. Pity, because I think the Mobitec screens are far better

I quite liked the mobitec screens as they looked nicer and when the correct screen was selected it showed Peterlee for Sunderland without the via points taking attention away from the fact it continues to Sunderland.

(16 May 2015, 8:17 am)RobinHood wrote Isn't the 21 getting Next Stop Announcments? Perhaps only the Hanover units are compatible?

I think it was suggested on here before that the 21/X21 would get NSA's and it seems like most Darlington bus services are receiving them, at present we have them on: 1, 5/5A, Sapphire 7, MAX X26/X27 & X66 that I know of so far.

Aren't next stop announcements usually hooked up to the destination screens in some way as I have seen buses with NSA's with the wrong display on before and the announcements haven't worked eg. driver on a Durham bound 7 changing the screen to Darlington at Nevilles Cross which voiced a stop on the other side of the road and didn't say anything else after that.

On the subject of 4813 does anyone know if it has working WiFi yet?
I realise that this is 'off topic', but I was using the Arriva Shires 321 service from Watford to Luton yesterday.
Lovely 'new' 14-reg Sapphire Wright Streetlight DF Max micro hybrids with 'leather' seats, next-stop announcements and brilliant white LED destination 'blinds' - easy to read from a distance.
Interior seating was spaced with single seats on one side in the main body of the bus (2+2 at the rear and sideways-facing drop-down seats where the wheelchair and buggie spaces at the front). 42 seats IIRC.
The outward journey was 'on time', but the return departure from Luton was one hour late (on a service that runs every 20 minutes). Eventually two buses arrived together (not unusual when there is traffic congestion that delays the earlier bus that has to pick up the bulk of the passengers) but the second bus was 'only' 20 minutes late (with the first one being 40 minutes late they said) - whatever, we waited an hour for a bus (assuming that there had been one on time at 16:00 that we had just missed).
Do you get your money back (ie travel free) if a Sapphire service is running that late? There were signs in the bus offering a no-quibble money-back guarantee (but I was travelling on my pensioner pass so I didn't pay anyway).
Do Arriva receive a payment for me under those circumstances (service running 40 minutes late)?
Site Administrator
I'm led to believe that the 0950 X93 from Middlesbrough broke down on a country road en-route to Whitby, meaning that the 1020 was forced to carry two double decker's worth of passengers.

Unsure whether it was a B7 or B9, but I'd guess the former given that it was one of the summer extras.
(16 May 2015, 9:36 am)G-CPTN wrote I realise that this is 'off topic', but I was using the Arriva Shires 321 service from Watford to Luton yesterday.
Lovely 'new' 14-reg Sapphire Wright Streetlight DF Max micro hybrids with 'leather' seats, next-stop announcements and brilliant white LED destination 'blinds' - easy to read from a distance.
Interior seating was spaced with single seats on one side in the main body of the bus (2+2 at the rear and sideways-facing drop-down seats where the wheelchair and buggie spaces at the front). 42 seats IIRC.
The outward journey was 'on time', but the return departure from Luton was one hour late (on a service that runs every 20 minutes). Eventually two buses arrived together (not unusual when there is traffic congestion that delays the earlier bus that has to pick up the bulk of the passengers) but the second bus was 'only' 20 minutes late (with the first one being 40 minutes late they said) - whatever, we waited an hour for a bus (assuming that there had been one on time at 16:00 that we had just missed).
Do you get your money back (ie travel free) if a Sapphire service is running that late? There were signs in the bus offering a no-quibble money-back guarantee (but I was travelling on my pensioner pass so I didn't pay anyway).
Do Arriva receive a payment for me under those circumstances (service running 40 minutes late)?

Yes there would be an automatic refund through customer services for a delay that long. I noted terrible punctuality on a few of their services when I was down there, but I'm guessing being so close to the M1 doesn't help them! I saw first hand just what chaos ensued when the A66 in Middlesbrough was blocked and that's only a minor road compared to a motorway...

As for the next stop announcements, the systems are produced by Hanover so I would expect that they will only be compatible with their other products.

Dan I would expect that X93 will have been a B7TL, either 7485 or 7486 as 7487 is (was?) at Stockton for test this coming week.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Watford to Luton is via non-motorway roads, but, it has taken me over half an hour to drive through the centre of St Albans on a Sunday, and this was a Friday afternoon. The driver was pleasant and apologised but blamed the 'usual Friday traffic'.
Another passenger waiting at Luton said that 'it was a regular occurrence for buses to 'not appear' then turn up together'.

The service is run from the Watford depot, and one of the Luton depot drivers said that they have no control (a bus has to arrive in Luton before it can depart - there are no spares available at Luton)..

Luton is in the process of moving all bus arrivals/departures to the Railway Station Interchange from the streets in the centre of town (Silver Street), but, no doubt, some services will still run through the centre (the 321 serves Church Street).

In future (for my once a year visit) I will stay on the 321 to the Railway Station and catch my connecting 24 or 25 from there (I believe) instead of walking through the Arnedale Centre to Silver Street. It might save time - providing the 321 turns up for the return trip.

The 321 was half-hourly until last year (but is now three-times per hour - introduction of Sapphire?).
Still frustrating when they are delayed.

The 321 also used to run through to Luton Airport, but Arriva decided not to pay the charges demanded by the Airport to terminate there (as an example passengers are charged £2.50 for dropping off by car and up to £20 when collecting if the flight is delayed) and airline passengers now have to change buses at the Railway Station - with extra charges for those who pay of course.
(16 May 2015, 9:36 am)G-CPTN wrote Do you get your money back (ie travel free) if a Sapphire service is running that late? There were signs in the bus offering a no-quibble money-back guarantee (but I was travelling on my pensioner pass so I didn't pay anyway).

You don't get your money back, despite what they claim. They'll give you a voucher for a free single journey, and probably argue the toss in the process. Or at least that's my experience! 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(17 May 2015, 2:51 pm)mb134 wrote Drove past 7524 earlier and it was making a very loud whistling noise, any ideas?

I whistle when Mrs C puts out the night before.

Not saying 7524 got lucky last night, but you never know!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 May 2015, 4:41 pm)Andreos1 wrote I whistle when Mrs C puts out the night before.

Not saying 7524 got lucky last night, but you never know!

Haha Tongue 

It was early when I saw it, so it's plausible Wink 
As a result of service changes in Darlington from today there looks to have been some changes to allocations and interworking patterns to services on Sundays.

Service 5A now interworks with service 12 (12 between Darlington Town Centre and Morton Park).
Sapphire 7 now interworks with service 19 using Sapphire Pulsars.
I think the X75 will interwork with service 12 between Darlington and Hurworth seem as they both now operate every 2 hours on a Sunday although this was not possible today as the road is still closed at Calbury so the diversionary 76A was still operating today so I imagine they both operated standalone today.

Today service 2 was using a mix of EcoCitys and Optare Solos.
There was at least one EcoCity on service 10 but sadly I didn't get a photo of this Sad
Service 76A was operated by Solo 2865 where as on previous Sundays it was EcoCity operated.

As reported yesterday EcoCity 4813 has lost it's Mobitec destination equipment in favour of Hanover units.
[Image: 17594044669_a074dd28d2.jpg]Arriva North East: 4813 / WX61 HSL by Jimmi's Bus Photos, on Flickr
(17 May 2015, 2:51 pm)mb134 wrote Drove past 7524 earlier and it was making a very loud whistling noise, any ideas?

Just followed it through Bedlington (6.15), no whistling, was doing exactly 30, so I assume the whistle has either gone or only appears at a decent speed, as both times I passed it earlier it would have been doing 50 odd.
(17 May 2015, 4:52 pm)Jimmi wrote As a result of service changes in Darlington from today there looks to have been some changes to allocations and interworking patterns to services on Sundays.

Service 5A now interworks with service 12 (12 between Darlington Town Centre and Morton Park).
Sapphire 7 now interworks with service 19 using Sapphire Pulsars.
I think the X75 will interwork with service 12 between Darlington and Hurworth seem as they both now operate every 2 hours on a Sunday although this was not possible today as the road is still closed at Calbury so the diversionary 76A was still operating today so I imagine they both operated standalone today.

Today service 2 was using a mix of EcoCitys and Optare Solos.
There was at least one EcoCity on service 10 but sadly I didn't get a photo of this Sad
Service 76A was operated by Solo 2865 where as on previous Sundays it was EcoCity operated.

As reported yesterday EcoCity 4813 has lost it's Mobitec destination equipment in favour of Hanover units.
[Image: 17594044669_a074dd28d2.jpg]Arriva North East: 4813 / WX61 HSL by Jimmi's Bus Photos, on Flickr

Yes jimmi you are right with the X75 interworking with the 12 to hurworth, and due to the road closure it wasn't possible so today the driver of the 12 to hurworth had a pretty good shift, she only done 4 trips to hurworth and back, and had 1hr 30 mins sit in between runs on the 12

the 2 ecocitys on the new service 2s were 4810 and 4806, and as you said a solo appeared on there at one point to help get the services back on time

the solo on the 12 (Darlington to Hurworth) was 2861

if anyone is a member of Arriva UK Enthusiasts on Facebook, there is multiple pictures of 4802 on service 10s today, sundays will now see a Ecocity on service 10
(17 May 2015, 9:50 pm)Stewy wrote Yes jimmi you are right with the X75 interworking with the 12 to hurworth, and due to the road closure it wasn't possible so today the driver of the 12 to hurworth had a pretty good shift, she only done 4 trips to hurworth and back, and had 1hr 30 mins sit in between runs on the 12

the 2 ecocitys on the new service 2s were 4810 and 4806, and as you said a solo appeared on there at one point to help get the services back on time

the solo on the 12 (Darlington to Hurworth) was 2861

if anyone is a member of Arriva UK Enthusiasts on Facebook, there is multiple pictures of 4802 on service 10s today, sundays will now see a Ecocity on service 10

Yeah I did see an EcoCity running 15 minutes late on the 2 according to the live map at one point.

Annoyingly missed 4802 on the 10 as at one point I was stuck in a queue in Wilko, always happens when I go in there! I'm only ever buying a drink too. Then was not near the 10 route the next time it was in the Town Centre and when I finally saw it I was just boarding the 21
What was operating on the 21 Darlo to Peterlee today. It will be a long time before I can travel on a bus as my health has gone down the pan I'm now in Hawthorns Care Centre.
I look forward too reading all the great info and stories here.
(17 May 2015, 10:55 pm)2bagstew wrote What was operating on the 21 Darlo to Peterlee today. It will be a long time before I can travel on a bus as my health has gone down the pan I'm now in Hawthorns Care Centre.
I look forward too reading all the great info and stories here.

MAN EcoCitys are used on the 21 every day.
With all the changes happening today I was just wondering if the 21 had the pleasure of different bus I used to travel to Darlo too see friends on the 21 I found the journey quite relaxing on the on the EcoCity compared to the Solo.
(17 May 2015, 11:03 pm)2bagstew wrote With all the changes happening today I was just wondering if the 21 had the pleasure of different bus I used to travel to Darlo too see friends on the 21 I found the journey quite relaxing on the on the EcoCity compared to the Solo.

No, still the usual three branded Ecocitys were on the 21 as normal today.

The examples on the 21 have extremely comfortable seats in them so this makes for a more pleasant ride and the four examples normally on there should have WiFi now too. There was nothing really pleasant about riding a Solo on this service, especially on a long journey.
What's the wheelchair space like I'm hopefully getting my electric chair shortly so I will be hopefully going to Darlo when my Heath improved. Cheers
Site Administrator
1600's Next Stop Announcements are not working - the screen is a generic Hanover screen.

Noticed the blue seating is a lot darker compared to the Pulsars/E400s too.