You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(24 May 2015, 10:24 am)Dan wrote This vehicle is now in storage at Riverside Depot.

Thought it might of stayed at SM due to them having space... any idea why its being moved, seems pointless moving it to riverside when its being withdrawn.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(24 May 2015, 10:26 am)Michael wrote Thought it might of stayed at SM due to them having space... any idea why its being moved?

Like Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4845 (R845 PRG), I'd imagine that DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8251 is being used for spare parts at Riverside? Just a guess, not confirmation.
(24 May 2015, 10:28 am)Dan wrote Like Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4845 (R845 PRG), I'd imagine that DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8251 is being used for spare parts at Riverside? Just a guess, not confirmation.

Ah right, probables be the reason

Thanks Smile
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 May 2015, 10:26 am)Michael wrote Thought it might of stayed at SM due to them having space... any idea why its being moved, seems pointless moving it to riverside when its being withdrawn.

Saltmeadows might need the space for 14 solos to be prepared for service when there arrive  Wink

I hope their refresh the east durham brand, would like to see them in the same colours as the venture solos, and instead of where the venture name is on the side it would be called the OK Way in a swirl design same as venture. Cool

(24 May 2015, 10:46 am)cbma06 wrote Saltmeadows might need the space for 14 solos to be prepared for service when there arrive  Wink

I hope their refresh the east durham brand, would like to see them in the same colours as the venture solos, and instead of where the venture name is on the side it would be called the OK Way in a swirl design same as venture. Cool

I do hope we will see a better style brand for East Durham, all the new brands have being good so far so expecting it to be as good.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(22 May 2015, 3:03 pm)nk55 wrote This coach will make an appearance on national express to wembley on monday.

I assume this is Service WEW31?

Newcastle (0600)
Sunderland (0635)
Durham (0710)
Wembley Stadium (1315)

If you can confirm at some point tonight, I may have to try and get a photo of it. Tongue 
There's currently a petition circling around Barley Mow and the surrounding area campaigning for the deckers to be taken off the 82/82A route
Site Administrator
(24 May 2015, 6:17 pm)leestransportphotos wrote There's currently a petition circling around Barley Mow and the surrounding area campaigning for the deckers to be taken off the 82/82A route

They don't form part of the main allocation, though? They are reserve vehicles.

Why are double deckers such an issue on the 82/82A routes? Might just be me, but I would prefer a double decker to turn up than no bus at all.
(24 May 2015, 6:24 pm)Dan wrote They don't form part of the main allocation, though? They are reserve vehicles.

Why are double deckers such an issue on the 82/82A routes? Might just be me, but I would prefer a double decker to turn up than no bus at all.

Some just like moaning for the sake of moaning.

I imagine it is down to the lack of seats downstairs, apparently Weardale don't like putting double deckers on the 101 because there is less seats downstairs for the elderly and disabled and I imagine the same reason applies here.
(24 May 2015, 6:35 pm)Jimmi wrote Some just like moaning for the sake of moaning.

I imagine it is down to the lack of seats downstairs, apparently Weardale don't like putting double deckers on the 101 because there is less seats downstairs for the elderly and disabled and I imagine the same reason applies here.

I can see where they are coming from, with less seats etc.

What they should do is, take the decker's off and put MPD's on the routes... they'll sharp change the mind back 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 May 2015, 6:42 pm)Michael wrote I can see where they are coming from, with less seats etc.

What they should do is, take the decker's off and put MPD's on the routes... they'll sharp change the mind back 

Sadly it depends on vehicle availability so double deckers can sometimes appear on these routes.

There isn't many seats downstairs on a double decker especially on the ex London Presidents.

I am not from the area in question or have even used the services in question but I can sort of see where they are coming from on this. If they think getting a double decker on a mid sized single decker route is bad they should try a route where the allocation is smaller than the passenger demand.
(24 May 2015, 6:51 pm)Jimmi wrote Sadly it depends on vehicle availability so double deckers can sometimes appear on these routes.

There isn't many seats downstairs on a double decker especially on the ex London Presidents.

I am not from the area in question or have even used the services in question but I can sort of see where they are coming from on this. If they think getting a double decker on a mid sized single decker route is bad they should try a route where the allocation is smaller than the passenger demand.

I'm not from the area to however i do use the 82 sometimes from Concord to Usworth college and back, if i miss 4 and the passenger numbers aren't very good on it, i'm sure the route between Concord and Washington Galleries gets busy. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 May 2015, 5:53 pm)Dan wrote I assume this is Service WEW31?

Newcastle (0600)
Sunderland (0635)
Durham (0710)
Wembley Stadium (1315)

If you can confirm at some point tonight, I may have to try and get a photo of it. Tongue 

There is also at least 2 NX coaches leaving Middlesbrough for Wembley at 7:00 & 7:15 on service WEW35.
when is the NEB news getting updated?
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
It was an elderly person that knocked on our door. These are the main points

- Less seats downstairs meaning elderly people have to stand
- Buses running around empty all day - environment
- Lack of power meaning buses struggle up Fell Bank and Northside.

I can see where they're coming from and for that reason I signed it.
(24 May 2015, 7:15 pm)leestransportphotos wrote It was an elderly person that knocked on our door. These are the main points

I don't think buses running empty is a valid reason for a complaint.

I think getting up a bank slowly still isn't a major problem, so long as it can get up does it really matter what speed it gets up a bank at.

The lack of seats downstairs is a valid reason though.
The second point contradicts the first. OAPs having to stand suggests there are no seats available (they're all taken) but the second point says that they hardly any taken?
(24 May 2015, 7:21 pm)Robert wrote The second point contradicts the first. OAPs having to stand suggests there are no seats available (they're all taken) but the second point says that they hardly any taken?

Oh the bus is too big.

Oh boo hoo! Bet they complain when the bus is busy as well.
Site Administrator
(24 May 2015, 7:02 pm)John_R wrote There is also at least 2 NX coaches leaving Middlesbrough for Wembley at 7:00 & 7:15 on service WEW35.

Knowing my luck, it'll end up being allocated to one of those instead of one going through Newcastle or Sunderland...
(24 May 2015, 7:21 pm)Robert wrote The second point contradicts the first. OAPs having to stand suggests there are no seats available (they're all taken) but the second point says that they hardly any taken?

I presume they mean that although there is a large amount of seats available, most of them are inaccessible to elderly passengers because they are upstairs, and the seats which are occupied will presumably be on the lower deck, meaning at peak times pensioners may have to stand or face the challenge of climbing the stairs. Considering a double decker will have around 23 seats downstairs and 50+ seats upstairs (which are inaccessible) buses will usually appear to be running almost empty, even at peak times because a large amount of passengers will be seated downstairs, hence the desire for single deckers.

Personally, I would rather have too much capacity than too little capacity on a service but from the viewpoint of a 90 year old pensioner I can understand why they don't appreciate double deckers. Poor accessibility is one the main disadvantages of double deckers.
(24 May 2015, 7:23 pm)Jimmi wrote Oh the bus is too big.

Oh boo hoo! Bet they complain when the bus is busy as well.

They'd moan if no bus turned up at all. As long as passengers get from A to B safely they should be happy
(24 May 2015, 7:32 pm)Dan wrote Knowing my luck, it'll end up being allocated to one of those instead of one going through Newcastle or Sunderland...

Good luck with it, Dan!
(24 May 2015, 7:15 pm)leestransportphotos wrote It was an elderly person that knocked on our door. These are the main points

As I also live on the Route at Lambton, I am going to call straight up "Bullshit" on the first point alone, never have I once seen an OAP Standing on the 82/82A regardless of the Vehicle Type allocated to the Service, if anything due the lack of seats on the lower saloon of a Decker, they are completely ignorant and sit in the Pushchair/Wheelchair Bays and refuse to move when either gets on board the Bus, often resulting in an Verbal Altercation and the Parent or Carer of those in the Pushchair/Wheelchair having to Stand.

But I do agree having a Double Decker allocated isnt practical, but I would say this purely due to the Reliability of the other Vehicles allocated to the Service, we all know the Wright Cadets are renown to electrical faults and are often VOR with Diagtest then fixing the faults with these Vehicles, this therefore results in the allocation of a Double Decker as there isnt enough Mini/Midi Buses in the Fleet to cover the Spare PVR in my opinion as these Vehicles are allocated to other Services such as the 33/33A & 39.

Hopefully with the 52reg Cadets being Withdrawn and replaced by Wright Merits from Riverside reliability might improve thus reducing the chances of a Decker being allocated to the 82/82A, but I am doubtful of that even happening if im honest, the 82/82A certainly will never receive brand new vehicles in the future and will continue to get cascades from other services as a result of investment in the fleet. 
(24 May 2015, 7:32 pm)Dan wrote Knowing my luck, it'll end up being allocated to one of those instead of one going through Newcastle or Sunderland...

Still worth getting a photo - as it could be a very long time before another NX coach heads to Wembley from the North East Tongue
Site Administrator
(24 May 2015, 7:07 pm)Racer_Experience wrote when is the NEB news getting updated?

It was updated at mid-day, but it still contains all of the news articles from last fortnight, and there is also an issue with a photograph appearing when there should be no photograph at all in some articles.

I was trying to get Liam to sort it out before putting the message out there that the news had been updated, but he's clearly busy with other things as he hasn't replied, so you'll all have to ignore the issues instead if you want to read it now.
Think I should head over and go for a ride on the 82 and see what all the fuss is about although I will probably get evils from the OAPs for sitting downstairs and won't take the fact I have a bad knee as a good enough reason for sitting downstairs and order me to go upstairs or to get off judging by their complaints.

Yet they love to steal the front seats upstairs on the X9/X10!
(24 May 2015, 8:15 pm)benambro wrote Yet they love to steal the front seats upstairs on the X9/X10!

Seem to like stealing the rear seats on single deckers to as of late, obviously think they are to good for there designated priority seat, who do these OAPs think they are Wink .
(24 May 2015, 8:15 pm)benambro wrote Yet they love to steal the front seats upstairs on the X9/X10!
I was getting on the Arriva 56 in Bishop Auckland the other day and it was a double decker and an OAP was struggling up the stairs and nearly fell down the stairs and came close to landing on me coming up behind him. Wasn't even busy only two people with a pushchair and about three others.

Some will moan about there being no seats downstairs but will still go upstairs when it is practically empty even though they struggle.
(24 May 2015, 7:20 pm)Jimmi wrote I don't think buses running empty is a valid reason for a complaint.

I think getting up a bank slowly still isn't a major problem, so long as it can get up does it really matter what speed it gets up a bank at.

The lack of seats downstairs is a valid reason though.

No they seriously can't make it up Fell Bank.