You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: 2015/16 Financial Year Order Predictions

RE: Go North East: 2015/16 Financial Year Order Predictions
(27 May 2015, 4:41 pm)Dan wrote Wouldn't be much of an express service, then, would it?

No it wouldn't. I also imagine it will be quite boring sitting on the X10 going down/up the A19 at 30mph as that service covers a massive section of the road unlike the X9 which dips on and off every few junctions to go into intermediate points such as Billingham, Peterlee etc.
(27 May 2015, 4:31 pm)Robert wrote Would you think that buses on the X9/X10 would last longer if they only went at 30mph on the A19? ?

B8RLE i think youre thinking of.

You going for the MD's job at Arriva? 
I think all vechiles should drive at 56 at the minimum unless the roads are quiet (I say this as when I drove to Bedlington the other Sunday and not disrupted a single person driving at 50). HGVs overtaking slow the road network down so much.
(27 May 2015, 6:15 pm)aureolin wrote I'd say doing any less than 50mph on a dual carriageway (or motorway) in free flow is a hazard.

Especially tractors - which are allowed on any road, bar a motorway.
Often get them on the A19.

They were (or maybe still are) barred from the Western Bypass during the rush hour
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Tractors and slow moving vehicles (less than 30 mph) are required to allow faster traffic to pass, pulling in at every opportunity, but this doesn't apply to faster tractors which can do 40, even though it can be annoying to be stuck behind them. Restrictions to tractors etc at certain times, like on the Western Bypass, should be much more common. It is unreasonable for buses using dual carriageways to have limiters set to less than 60mph, their speed limit there, but ones which only use single carriageways, where their limit is 50, could be set to that. I do think the single carriageway limit for HGVs should be raised from 40 to 50mph - that was the government's proposal, but it may have been scrapped.
(29 May 2015, 10:34 am)Greg in Weardale wrote Tractors and slow moving vehicles (less than 30 mph) are required to allow faster traffic to pass, pulling in at every opportunity, but this doesn't apply to faster tractors which can do 40, even though it can be annoying to be stuck behind them. Restrictions to tractors etc at certain times, like on the Western Bypass, should be much more common. It is unreasonable for buses using dual carriageways to have limiters set to less than 60mph, their speed limit there, but ones which only use single carriageways, where their limit is 50, could be set to that. I do think the single carriageway limit for HGVs should be raised from 40 to 50mph - that was the government's proposal, but it may have been scrapped.

It has in fact just been raised - LGVs can now do 50mph on single carriageways.
I think it about time the X21 got newer vehicles.

Maybe not brand new , but off the X1 or X10
Site Administrator
(01 Jun 2015, 5:44 pm)pdiddy wrote I think it about time the X21 got newer vehicles.

Maybe not brand new , but off the X1 or X10

You'll be getting a name as bad as DaveyBowyer soon!
I know that I might gan on about 6001 - 6007 and 6049 - 6055 but, it would be the most logical move for GNE:

- Other B9 / B5 services short of spares and even suitable PVRs.
- B9 PVR now increased to 24 at Riverside.
- 56 might need a re-increase in the future.
- 6001 - 6007 are proven and have paid their time.
- X1 lacking power sockets.
- New bus order would be special as it would be the first 'major' route on GNE's network to feature new flooring and E-Leather as well as offering power sockets on top of the existing offer of free Wi-Fi / NSA's.
(01 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Yes, X21 urgently needs NEWER vehicles, and as I've said before, let's rebrand it OK Express with buses in that wonderful livery the Solars had for the OK1.

Look bit something like this perhaps.

[attachment=6769]
(01 Jun 2015, 9:33 pm)Malarkey wrote Look bit something like this perhaps.

Change the fleet number between 6001 - 6007 and you've got it spot on. 6049 would be a bonus vehicle for Riverside to allow 6084 to permanantly join the TEN.
(01 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Have to admit, I think that OK livery looks fantastic on a Gemini 2. Smile

Wanna see a second variation which I have just created.
We are all laughing about the Red Arrows and Pronto services receiving upgrades but there are a few things to think about next year:

Go North East seem to like repainting buses every 5 years and 6001-6007 will be 5 years old next year and the Presidents will have been on the X21 for 5 years so I wonder if this could potentially mean investment in these routes or at least the Red Arrows could get repainted.

I think if the X1 does actually get new buses next I think some will go on the X21 and the rest will maybe the rest would go on an unbranded route, not sure what but these could be some potential candidates I think: 14/X22, 15/15A, X25, X30/X31, X70/X71.
(01 Jun 2015, 10:25 pm)Malarkey wrote Here we go.

Bishop Auckland sits next to the wear; think would look better in navy blue with gold X and branded Tyne Wear (or weardale) Xpress
(01 Jun 2015, 10:25 pm)Jimmi wrote We are all laughing about the Red Arrows and Pronto services receiving upgrades but there are a few things to think about next year:

Go North East seem to like repainting buses every 5 years and 6001-6007 will be 5 years old next year and the Presidents will have been on the X21 for 5 years so I wonder if this could potentially mean investment in these routes or at least the Red Arrows could get repainted.

I think if the X1 does actually get new buses next I think some will go on the X21 and the rest will maybe the rest would go on an unbranded route, not sure what but these could be some potential candidates I think: 14/X22, 15/15A, X25, X30/X31, X70/X71.

This is what I think I'll Happen - 6001 - 6004 will transfer to Percy Main for DFDS seaways service 327, 6005 and 6006 transfer to Riverside to replace 3941 (To Crook to act as a spare) and 3964 (To Percy Main, to help out 6116 and 6117 as a spare for Cobalt Clipper). 6049 - 6050 to Crook for Pronto Service X21. I think the Omnidekkas will probably make up the full allocation for services X30/X31/X70/X71.
Site Administrator
(01 Jun 2015, 9:33 pm)Malarkey wrote Look bit something like this perhaps.

Although I think the first livery you made looks incredibly smart and suits the bus well, I don't think this would ever happen.

The majority of the brands the company has re-launched recently have all been modernised, and they really are eye-catching. The aim of the game when ordering new buses is, for the most part, to increase passenger growth (with profit levels hence rising to cover the costs of the new vehicles).

Opposed to resurrecting an old 'heritage' brand name which I'd suggest that only the older generation will understand, would it perhaps not be more appropriate to play on the success of the "Angel" brand name/design? Something like "Angel Express", dependent on the design, could work really well in my opinion. There's no need to explain the brand name, because it's obvious to both you and I, as well as normal customers, but it would be so much easier to market than "The OK Expressway" during publicity events. Any customers who aren't aware that the "Pronto" is actually an express version of the "Angel" 21 service would realise then that they could migrate to the "Pronto" X21 service, and (from Go North East's point of view) hopefully any customers on Arriva's "MAX" X12 route would consider migrating - any new buses would come fitted with leather seats, Wi-Fi and power sockets, so this would instantly bump the service up to Arriva's equivalent "Sapphire" offering.
(01 Jun 2015, 10:43 pm)Davie wrote This is what I think I'll Happen - 6001 - 6004 will transfer to Percy Main for DFDS seaways service 327, 6005 and 6006 transfer to Riverside to replace 3941 (To Crook to act as a spare) and 3964 (To Percy Main, to help out 6116 and 6117 as a spare for Cobalt Clipper). 6049 - 6050 to Crook for Pronto Service X21. I think the Omnidekkas will probably make up the full allocation for services X30/X31/X70/X71.

Yup, i think that will happen to.... could they cope on the demanding routes of those though or will the Omnidekkas end up like the B7's on the X21.... 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
I reckon that the 'Prince Bishops' set of services will receive new vehicles within the next 2 years. Possibly deckers due to peak time loadings or failing that single decks (Streetlites?).
(02 Jun 2015, 8:48 am)Simmy wrote I reckon that the 'Prince Bishops' set of services will receive new vehicles within the next 2 years. Possibly deckers due to peak time loadings or failing that single decks (Streetlites?).

Hopefully deckers, the service can get terrible at peak times, especially since the route was extended to South Shields.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(02 Jun 2015, 8:48 am)Simmy wrote I reckon that the 'Prince Bishops' set of services will receive new vehicles within the next 2 years. Possibly deckers due to peak time loadings or failing that single decks (Streetlites?).

(02 Jun 2015, 8:55 am)Michael wrote Hopefully deckers, the service can get terrible at peak times, especially since the route was extended to South Shields.

Owt that can accommodate the peak loads, has decent leg room, won't rattle, has 'fall off proof' wingmirrors and works mechanically will do me.

Hopefully sooner, rather than later!
Starting to avoid using the service if it can be helped, due to my dislike of the purple Solars.
(02 Jun 2015, 9:55 am)Andreos1 wrote Owt that can accommodate the peak loads, has decent leg room, won't rattle, has 'fall off proof' wingmirrors and works mechanically will do me.

Hopefully sooner, rather than later!
Starting to avoid using the service if it can be helped, due to my dislike of the purple Solars.

Streetdecks or B5/Gemini 3s sounds good.
(02 Jun 2015, 10:39 am)Simmy wrote Streetdecks or B5/Gemini 3s sounds good.

To sound like Mr Bowyer - will the engines be powerful enough?
The B7's struggle up Houghton Cut as it is and almost end up going backwards, particularly if using the stop on the slip road.
A handful of the purple Solars struggle too. I passed one once recently and the driver was sitting like a jockey, trying to give it some oomph!