You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Late running records
(25 Jun 2015, 4:15 pm)Davie wrote WOW! I knew the X12 was unreliable but that takes the p**s!
It's possible that the wrong trip has been selected which has caused it to show up as running 70 minutes late on the Live Map when it may only be 10 minutes late. 10 minutes is still pretty bad mind, this route SERIOUSLY needs looking at.
(25 Jun 2015, 4:18 pm)Jimmi wrote It's possible that the wrong trip has been selected which has caused it to show up as running 70 minutes late on the Live Map when it may only be 10 minutes late. 10 minutes is still pretty bad mind, this route SERIOUSLY needs looking at.

I feel sorry for anyone who actually managed to get on that bus.
(25 Jun 2015, 4:18 pm)Jimmi wrote It's possible that the wrong trip has been selected which has caused it to show up as running 70 minutes late on the Live Map when it may only be 10 minutes late. 10 minutes is still pretty bad mind, this route SERIOUSLY needs looking at.

Isn't the frequency every 30 minutes? If s I'd imagine it was 10 minutes.
(25 Jun 2015, 4:21 pm)Davie wrote Isn't the frequency every 30 minutes? If s I'd imagine it was 10 minutes.
It is every 30 minutes but it's possible that the trip which left Durham an hour earlier was selected.

We'll see how late it is when it leaves Newcastle.
(25 Jun 2015, 4:23 pm)Jimmi wrote It is every 30 minutes but it's possible that the trip which left Durham an hour earlier was selected.

We'll see how late it is when it leaves Newcastle.

If it was 30 minutes late, wouldn't they just withdraw that specific service or replace the bus which was operating it?
Lord knows what happened here with the 22 but it seems like some of the services which head over Millburngate Bridge where running a bit late earlier including the 20A and 20 both arriving in Durham Bus Station at the same time.

Millburngate Bridge and Gilesgate can totally kill services at times, especially at peak times.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2015, 4:32 pm)Jimmi wrote Lord knows what happened here with the 22 but it seems like some of the services which head over Millburngate Bridge where running a bit late earlier including the 20A and 20 both arriving in Durham Bus Station at the same time.

Millburngate Bridge and Gilesgate can totally kill services at times, especially at peak times.

May be wrong, but I would guess the bus was actually 18 minutes late, rather than 78, and the driver has keyed in the wrong journey number. Downside to the way Arriva has their real-time app set up.
(25 Jun 2015, 4:43 pm)Dan wrote May be wrong, but I would guess the bus was actually 18 minutes late, rather than 78, and the driver has keyed in the wrong journey number. Downside to the way Arriva has their real-time app set up.

Wouldn't be the first time that has happened, recently spotted a 21A showing as running an hour late on the Live Map towards Peterlee but that was obviously what happened as it left Peterlee on-time.

We'll see what it is showing when it should leave Newcastle at 1800, providing it actually isn't actually 70 odd minutes late.
(25 Jun 2015, 4:47 pm)Jimmi wrote Wouldn't be the first time that has happened, recently spotted a 21A showing as running an hour late on the Live Map towards Peterlee but that was obviously what happened as it left Peterlee on-time.

We'll see what it is showing when it should leave Newcastle at 1800, providing it actually isn't actually 70 odd minutes late.

Two X12s have just terminated at ES. One 70L and one 8L.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2015, 4:56 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote X14 leaving Haymarket 63L

Again, this is likely to be 3 minutes late, unless there's one on-time or thereabouts as well...
(25 Jun 2015, 4:47 pm)Jimmi wrote Wouldn't be the first time that has happened, recently spotted a 21A showing as running an hour late on the Live Map towards Peterlee but that was obviously what happened as it left Peterlee on-time.

The 21A was an issue with the journey numbers programmed into the machine system not matching that on the running boards.
(25 Jun 2015, 5:04 pm)Kuyoyo wrote The 21A was an issue with the journey numbers programmed into the machine system not matching that on the running boards.

I would have thought the data coming through to the AVL system and for the journey numbers the driver programmes into the machine, would all come from the same source so errors like this cannot happen.  Will that is how our's work anyway.
(25 Jun 2015, 5:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote I would have thought the data coming through to the AVL system and for the journey numbers the driver programmes into the machine, would all come from the same source so errors like this cannot happen.  Will that is how our's work anyway.

With Arriva, the driver does not enter a journey number. The shifts are all pre-programmed in and once the driver presents their card, the machine picks up their duty and it's simply select the journey details and load it up.
Late running records
These comments probably aren't fair or polite but here's where I think the problems occur with the Darlington 5/5A.

I don't believe there is enough running time on the service between Bishop Auckland and Newton Aycliffe especially between Bishop Auckland and Shildon in this direction as it will often leave Bishop Auckland Bus Station on-time then will be around 5 minutes late by the time it gets round mine.

This isn't the easiest route to get round especially with badly parked across various sections of the route and Henknowle Estate in Bishop Auckland is a pig to get round them traffic calming things and then at times you have to wait for things coming the other way.

Many of the passengers who use the 5/5A are elderly and aren't able to get up and sit down as fast as some of us can so this can hold the bus up. Also there often can be people with pushchairs getting on and there is only two spaces and once there gone there gone which means they either can't get on the bus or have to fold the pushchair up and if they choose the latter option this means the bus has to wait whilst this done.

An observation on this particular journey I am on now is when the bus pulls right up to the top of the bus stop at Newton Aycliffe Town Centre which it probably should do but often doesn't happen so when it does people have to walk from the shelter to where the bus pulls up and when it does happen they take their sweet time about it and when they do get on the bus they usually end whinging to the driver which also causes hold ups.

Most of you will probably think these aren't fair comments but I do think these are issues which are causing the service in question to run late and as a regular passenger of the service I think they are problems that need addressing.

Also I have noticed that new Bus stops and shelters have appeared near Hitachi on Aycliffe Ind Estate so I am wondering if there will be a route change through Aycliffe Ind Estate for the 5/5A or any other services in the near future?
Sorry Jimmi but I think calling a service which is 12 minutes late 'an utter joke' is unnecessary...

Regarding large dwell times at stops/stations. As long as you have human beings going onto a vehicle you'll always have this problem, no matter where you go.

Hell, I've seen plenty of buses in Carlisle (15min frequencies sometimes) running in pairs! Once I seen a trio!!
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(03 Jul 2015, 9:47 pm)northern156 wrote Sorry Jimmi but I think calling a service which is 12 minutes late 'an utter joke' is unnecessary...

Regarding large dwell times at stops/stations. As long as you have human beings going onto a vehicle you'll always have this problem, no matter where you go.

Hell, I've seen plenty of buses in Carlisle (15min frequencies sometimes) running in pairs! Once I seen a trio!!

May have been a bit of an overreaction but I do feel that the service in question could do with some changes to make the service more reliable as there does seem to be problems with the service keeping to time.

In May the service had a revised timetable where they took 3 minutes out of the running time on the Bishop Auckland - Newton Aycliffe section and placed the 3 minutes into the Newton Aycliffe - Darlington section of the route and all I feel that it's done is make the service run even later on the route between Bishop Auckland and Aycliffe as the Aycliffe - Darlo section didn't really need any additional running time but I strongly feel the Bishop Auckland - Newton Aycliffe section of this route needs more running time as during the daytime once the service gets to Shildon it's running behind the timetable and often stays behind time until it gets back to Bishop Auckland again.
(03 Jul 2015, 9:47 pm)northern156 wrote Sorry Jimmi but I think calling a service which is 12 minutes late 'an utter joke' is unnecessary...

Depends if it's a one off or a recurring problem. If it's the latter, then either the cause of lateness needs removing from the equation, or failing that, a more realistic timetable needs to be adopted.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
It certainly makes a change from it being late, but my X12 was 3 minutes early this morning. Given that the timing point is 30 seconds away up the hill, it's clearly left the timing point early.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(06 Jul 2015, 7:04 am)aureolin wrote It certainly makes a change from it being late, but my X12 was 3 minutes early this morning. Given that the timing point is 30 seconds away up the hill, it's clearly left the timing point early.
Sure its not the one before.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.