You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Your Travel Queries
(04 Aug 2015, 11:56 am)MurdnunoC wrote Cheapest option walking; quickest option bus.

I've walked from city centre to somewhere in that area before, I depends where in Barnes Park the launch is. Stagecoach 3/4 fares are something like 90p from Holmside? 

I'll walk if it's on the north side of the park, if it's on the south side I'll use the bus.  Smile
(04 Aug 2015, 11:52 am)GX03 SVC wrote What would be the quickest and cheapest way to get to Barnes Park. I'll be departing Ashington on the 0900 X21 to Newcastle, but I'm stumped whether to use Metro to Sunderland and walk, or Metro to Sunderland then bus?

If your getting the Metro get off at University much closer mate. Smile
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Site Administrator
(04 Aug 2015, 12:45 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I've walked from city centre to somewhere in that area before, I depends where in Barnes Park the launch is. Stagecoach 3/4 fares are something like 90p from Holmside? 

I'll walk if it's on the north side of the park, if it's on the south side I'll use the bus.  Smile

It's around 85p for an Under 16 child single with a POP card but Stagecoach are now cracking down on drivers issuing these child tickets without a POP card.

So be aware that you could be charged for an adult single... Many of my friends have recently (especially with the POP cards expiring on 31st July) have had to fork out the cash!
(04 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm)Dan wrote It's around 85p for an Under 16 child single with a POP card but Stagecoach are now cracking down on drivers issuing these child tickets without a POP card.

So be aware that you could be charged for an adult single... Many of my friends have recently (especially with the POP cards expiring on 31st July).

I'll walk from the University metro then, ain't worth adult fares for the distance.
(04 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm)Dan wrote It's around 85p for an Under 16 child single with a POP card but Stagecoach are now cracking down on drivers issuing these child tickets without a POP card.

So be aware that you could be charged for an adult single... Many of my friends have recently (especially with the POP cards expiring on 31st July).

60p with a POP Card 90p without.
Site Administrator
(04 Aug 2015, 2:15 pm)danpick wrote 60p with a POP Card 90p without.

But if you don't look Under 16, you can be charged full adult fare.

Same applies for GNE - except I think it is Under 14.
(04 Aug 2015, 2:16 pm)Dan wrote But if you don't look Under 16, you can be charged full adult fare.

Same applies for GNE - except I think it is Under 14.

Under 11 for Go North East, Under 18 for Stagecoach I think.
Site Administrator
(04 Aug 2015, 2:19 pm)danpick wrote Under 11 for Go North East, Under 18 for Stagecoach I think.

Either way - many of my friends who were previously getting child singles on Stagecoach in Sunderland buses without a POP card for proof of age have been knocked back over the past few days and have had to buy adult singles.

Not worth the risk, imo.
(04 Aug 2015, 11:52 am)GX03 SVC wrote What would be the quickest and cheapest way to get to Barnes Park. I'll be departing Ashington on the 0900 X21 to Newcastle, but I'm stumped whether to use Metro to Sunderland and walk, or Metro to Sunderland then bus?

Get a all zone buzzfare and get the 19 to North Shields, 9 to Sunderland then whatever to Barnes Park?
(04 Aug 2015, 2:26 pm)GX03 SVC wrote 14 on Arriva, the usual Arriva age operates in Darlington only.

Under 16 for Tyne and Wear too but if you ask for a half they'll normally give you one anyway in Northumberland.
Here we go:

Northumberland and Tyne & Wear
In Northumberland children aged 5 and under 14 are charged at a discounted fare.

In Tyne & Wear, Under 16s with a valid Nexus Under 16 Card will be able to travel at a flat 60p Single/£1.10 day ticket CAT on local buses from the commencement to the termination of normal daytime services (not valid on night).

County Durham & Darlington
Children aged 5 and under 14 are charged a discounted fare for any journey starting or finishing in County Durham.

Within the Darlington Borough boundary children aged 5 and under 16 are charged a discounted fare. Please note that for any through journey crossing the boundary from Darlington into Durham, Tees Valley, Tyne and Wear or North Yorkshire the restriction for child fares reverts back to aged from 5 to under 14.

Tees Valley (Stockton, Middlesbrough and Redcar & Cleveland)
Children aged 5 and under 16 are charged a discounted fare wholly within the Tees Valley area. Discounted fare on cross-boundary journeys, i.e. to points beyond the local boundaries, are available only to children aged 5 and under 14.

North Yorkshire
Children aged 5 and under 14 are charged a discounted fare for any journey starting or finishing in North Yorkshire.
(04 Aug 2015, 3:58 pm)idiot wrote How much is a return on the GNE #X66?

You can get a NewcastleMetroCentre day saver for £3.50 which is valid on the X66

Single is £2.80 I believe.
(04 Aug 2015, 4:04 pm)LeeCalder wrote You can get a NewcastleMetroCentre day saver for £2.80 which is valid on the X66

£2.80 is the single, £3.50 is the Day Saver Smile
(05 Aug 2015, 6:46 pm)Jimmi wrote Does anyone know if any Stagecoach services run from Barnes Park to Sunderland City Centre?

Also which Sunderland Stagecoach services are allocated gas buses, as I not been on one yet and I'd quite like to sample one.

Routes include 3, 4, 13 and 23.

The 3 and 13 are scheduled to be gas buses with some buses also being allocated to 4 alongside normal E200s.
Site Administrator
(05 Aug 2015, 6:46 pm)Jimmi wrote Does anyone know if any Stagecoach services run from Barnes Park to Sunderland City Centre?

Also which Sunderland Stagecoach services are allocated gas buses, as I not been on one yet and I'd quite like to sample one.

(05 Aug 2015, 6:51 pm)S813 FVK wrote Routes include 3, 4, 13 and 23.

The 3 and 13 are scheduled to be gas buses with some buses also being allocated to 4 alongside normal E200s.

There's a bus stop right outside of Barnes Park (heading to the City Centre) which Stagecoach services 3, 4, 23 and X1 serve, in addition to Go North East services 20/20A/X20, 35, 36 and X35. Timetable here.

If you end up changing your mind and going the other way on; the bus stop from the City Centre heading to Barnes Park isn't actually right next to the park itself, and this is served by the same bus services as above. Service 13 goes nearby - but it actually continues straight on up to Silksworth Lane opposed to turning right to head up Durham Road.

Your best bet is therefore to catch service 3, if you'd like to sample a gas bus.

Yep loads, though I got a headache trying to navigate the stagecoach website and scrutinise a tiny map to work it all out. There seems to be buses every few minutes from the North side of the Park.

From what I saw this afternoon, 3 and 4 definitely have gas buses.

We plan to take the 20/20A to get there and then get one of the gas buses, if possible, into Sunderland for a (probably much needed by then) wee and some lunch before taking off through the tunnel on the 9.
(05 Aug 2015, 6:51 pm)S813 FVK wrote Routes include 3, 4, 13 and 23.

(05 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm)Dan wrote There's a bus stop right outside of Barnes Park (heading to the City Centre) which Stagecoach services 3, 4, 23 and X1 serve, in addition to Go North East services 20/20A/X20, 35, 36 and X35. Timetable here.

If you end up changing your mind and going the other way on; the bus stop from the City Centre heading to Barnes Park isn't actually right next to the park itself, and this is served by the same bus services as above. Service 13 goes nearby - but it actually continues straight on up to Silksworth Lane opposed to turning right to head up Durham Road.

Your best bet is therefore to catch service 3, if you'd like to sample a gas bus.

Okay thanks both.

Will probably get 7 to Durham then the 20/20A up to Barnes Park then whatever after that. I'm am not getting the 20/20A/22/24/265 back to Durham from wherever, I'm not sitting on a bus in horrendous traffic at Gilesgate again!
Site Administrator
(05 Aug 2015, 7:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Yep loads, though I got a headache trying to navigate the stagecoach website and scrutinise a tiny map to work it all out. There seems to be buses every few minutes from the North side of the Park.

From what I saw this afternoon, 3 and 4 definitely have gas buses.

We plan to take the 20/20A to get there and then get one of the gas buses, if possible, into Sunderland for a (probably much needed by then) wee and some lunch before taking off through the tunnel on the 9.

The following services are scheduled to be allocated the gas buses:
  •  Service 3 - PVR 9
  • Service 13 - PVR 11
  • Service 16 - PVR 10
  • Service 20 - PVR 5
This adds up to a total PVR of 35 vehicles. As 40 of these gas buses are allocated to Sunderland Depot, there are regularly spare vehicles left over after the company covers any gas buses which are VOR. If the five spares aren't required, they're allocated to service 4 (which is officially allocated eleven ADL Enviro200s).
No doubt it'll be a dual door renown on the 9 for me when I go Sad

Like Jimmi quite want to try a gas bus! Those services all go to Wheatsheaf don't they?
Site Administrator
(05 Aug 2015, 7:16 pm)Tom wrote No doubt it'll be a dual door renown on the 9 for me when I go Sad

Like Jimmi quite want to try a gas bus! Those services all go to Wheatsheaf don't they?

Services 3, 13 and 16 all serve the Wheatsheaf Depot, yes. Like Jimmi, your best bet would be to catch service 3 if you're travelling to Barnes Park.
(05 Aug 2015, 7:17 pm)Dan wrote Services 3, 13 and 16 all serve the Wheatsheaf Depot, yes. Like Jimmi, your best bet would be to catch service 3 if you're travelling to Barnes Park.

Cheers, I'll do that.