You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Whats made you happy today?
(18 Jan 2016, 8:40 am)GX03 SVC wrote Because you sent it in... lol How much do you get paid?

Steven Hodgson's Haymarket/Eldon Square shots are in every issue, I'll make sure that I cancel my monthly subscription to that drivel before it gets despatched....

I didn't send it in, i relieved an email asking if they could use the photo, because no one has supplied any photos of the recent purchases off Nottingham City Transport.
(18 Jan 2016, 12:58 pm)LeeCalder wrote I didn't send it in, i relieved an email asking if they could use the photo, because no one has supplied any photos of the recent purchases off Nottingham City Transport.

Out of curiosity, how much do you get per shot?
Site Administrator
(18 Jan 2016, 5:01 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Out of curiosity, how much do you get per shot?

It depends on the photograph, and if you provide a story with it.

I have received payments of up to £40 in the past, when supplying photographs to the trade press.
(18 Jan 2016, 5:02 pm)Dan wrote It depends on the photograph, and if you provide a story with it.

I have received payments of up to £40 in the past, when supplying photographs to the trade press.

Really? That much.

It could almost be classed as a second income if your shots regularly feature.
(18 Jan 2016, 5:03 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Really? That much.

It could almost be classed as a second income if your shots regularly feature.

Too right, lets hope people who claim 'state benefits' inform the relevant people of this extra money, after all it is income!

Better than going to work, day in and day out eh!
(18 Jan 2016, 5:19 pm)citaro5284 wrote Too right, lets hope people who claim 'state benefits' inform the relevant people of this extra money, after all it is income!

I'm just imagining adverts right now...

Do you want to earn pounds, pounds, pounds? Become a bus enthusiast and send in you're photos to various magazines and other forms of the trade press. You can earn upto £40 per photo and you can do it all from the comfort of Eldon Square Bus Station. So why not become a enthusiast today, it's easy!
(18 Jan 2016, 5:19 pm)citaro5284 wrote Too right, lets hope people who claim 'state benefits' inform the relevant people of this extra money, after all it is income!

I agree. After all, if you're fit enough to stand on a pavement all day in Newcastle (or other places like Cleveland or wherever) in hope of taking shots to make money, then surely you display the required level of fitness needed to take up paid employment.
(18 Jan 2016, 5:53 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I agree. After all, if you're fit enough to stand on a pavement all day in Newcastle (or other places like Cleveland or wherever) in hope of taking shots to make money, then surely you display the required level of fitness needed to take up paid employment.

The difficulty comes when someone is well enough to do that some days but not others. It's hard to hold down a job when you're functioning OK one day and wracked in pain the next, or when you do OK until something doesn't go to plan, at which point you're sent into a spin with an anxiety attack or migraine.
(18 Jan 2016, 6:02 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The difficulty comes when someone is well enough to do that some days but not others. It's hard to hold down a job when you're functioning OK one day and wracked in pain the next, or when you do OK until something doesn't go to plan, at which point you're sent into a spin with an anxiety attack or migraine.

But my point is that you often see the same people standing in the same places everyday.

I am not one to tar everyone with the same brush. Of course, there are those who are unable to maintain a steady level of functionality on daily basis. However, if you're prepared to pursue a hobby with the added bonus of getting paid on occasion while performing the same daily routine lasting several or more hours, then isn't that more or less the same as working? 

Is it not possible to apply the same set of transferable skills to the workplace?
(18 Jan 2016, 6:16 pm)MurdnunoC wrote But my point is that you often see the same people standing in the same places everyday.

I am not one to tar everyone with the same brush. Of course, there are those who are unable to maintain a steady level of functionality on daily basis. However, if you're prepared to pursue a hobby with the added bonus of getting paid on occasion while performing the same daily routine lasting several or more hours, then isn't that more or less the same as working? 

Is it not possible to apply the same set of transferable skills to the workplace?

It can be possible, but if you can't be guaranteed to be able to do it as and when you need to work, then a potential employer is going to employ someone more reliable, instead.

I don't claim out of work benefits, but I'm not in paid work. I'm sure i could manage it if there was such a thing as a job which didn't aggravate my own condition, between 9-3 on term-time weekdays (including travelling - and term time being much reduced by having kids at school in 2 different counties) with time off at no notice for kids being off school for illness or mental health reasons, plus kids' hospital appointments, school meetings (they have many and I need to visit schools for littl'un, this term, on top of that) and so on.

With over a decade out of the workforce, plus those constraints, despite having had a well paid professional career, in the past, I'm not a great prospect. I do some ad hoc voluntary work - no more than an afternoon a month. Sometimes there is no way on earth I can make it for that afternoon because of other commitments or issues.

Only about 10% of people with a diagnosis of autism (I give this example because this is a big part of my life) are in full time paid work. It's an awful statistic but it's not as simple as saying well, if someone uses this skill in their hobby, they should be able to hold down a job. There can be many barriers to that job, ranging from lack of interpersonal skills, poor organisational skills, inability to break a rigid routine to ensure getting to work on time, mental health issues, an explosive temper, or other stress response and so on. The proportion is only slightly higher for people with an Asperger's diagnosis http://www.learningdisabilities.org.uk/c...w=Standard
(25 Jan 2016, 8:51 pm)NK53 TKT wrote NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Angry

am happy at least i hated that bus was a bone shaker when i found out the news i played that hallelujah song cause it was awful however here is my other song to that bus in fact heres 3 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc Green Day - Good Riddance 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmZ4RJp5GQ Steam - Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBZ7AfZR9xs - Hallelujah
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(25 Jan 2016, 8:49 pm)Diamond One wrote the fact 524 has now entered the scrap yard according to todays fleet movements

(25 Jan 2016, 8:51 pm)NK53 TKT wrote NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Angry
I bet it wasn't as good as 542 or 563.
My day was a turn-up for the books. Went out this morning just expect a usual boring sign-on Wednesday and ended up with a slightly successful haul thanks to the odd X7 allocation and a case of being in the right place at the right time for another of the new Megabus Elites. Roll on Friday morning...
(30 Jan 2016, 6:46 pm)R852 PRG wrote Pretty sure the driver should have issued a hand-written ticket?
Because I wanted a Day Rover, she told me to get on and get a ticket on the next bus I used.
(30 Jan 2016, 7:29 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Big'un's a happy chappy because a certain never knowingly undersold department store have replaced his faulty camera with the newer model.

Excellent, you can normally never fault John Lewis like  Smile
(30 Jan 2016, 7:31 pm)citaro5284 wrote Excellent, you can normally never fault John Lewis like  Smile

We've definitely had our money's worth out of the extended warranty we took out on our washer dryer. The cost of our last repair was eyewatering. Only we didn't have to pay it.
won the raffle with the unluckiest number 13 i suppose a ticket is a ticket last time i got 13 was on a back of a football shirt was the old Sunderland Goalkeepers shirt when Roy Keane was in charge the goalkeeper shirt said 13 Ward it was the year we won promotion back at the first attempt that was in 2007 and i still have the shirt
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Was clearing old stuff at my mother's house when I found buses annuals from 1989 and 1990 which my parents had bought me for Christmas.

Had a good read last night.

Charles