You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016
(17 Feb 2016, 5:43 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Are any Darlington VDLs equipped with Econospeed? or is it just Stockton's.

Stockton's have all had it fitted but it was turned off for safety reasons. We were testing a new set of settings with 1458 but I'm not sure whether that went any further. They're not limited at all so I'm not sure it's operational at present.
(18 Feb 2016, 11:01 am)GMitchelhill wrote Noted V506DFT and one other B10BLE in driver training livery at Ashington depot this morning. Both looked very tidy.
4501 the other
Best bus ever
(18 Feb 2016, 11:01 am)GMitchelhill wrote Noted V506DFT and one other B10BLE in driver training livery at Ashington depot this morning. Both looked very tidy.

Other will be 9994 (formerly 4501). I would take a guess that 4506 will become 9995.
(18 Feb 2016, 11:22 am)Kuyoyo wrote Other will be 9994 (formerly 4501). I would take a guess that 4506 will become 9995.

I believe they are both staying at Ashington with 9990 moving south for fleet standardisation
Crazy bad bunching on the X10/X11 this lunchtime.

Two X10s and three X11s showed up at Stonelaw in Cramlington within a span of about eight minutes. What was even worse was the three double-deck Gemini X11s all showed up at exactly the same time in a convoy, all trying to squeeze into one stop.
Forgive my stupidity but do Arriva drivers have their own ticket machines?

I only ask because i watched a driver changeover at Whitby on 7401 at around 14:30 (Scarborough bound X93) and when the previous driver got off, i noticed the driver removed the ticket machine and the next driver put a different ticket machine on (well, tried to, didn't seem to want to go so he went off to get another).

At first, I thought it was because the previous machine had a fault but that couldn't (in my opinion) be the case because the previous driver had let around 15-20 people on in a reasonable amount of time (looking at 2-4 minutes roughly) without any clear issues.

I know how stupid it sounds but I just found it unusual how a ticket machine that seemed to be working without any issues was replaced, ironically by one that did seem to have issues!
Can see why the Moore Street layby has caused problems in Redcar. 4513 came in on time, driver got off leaving the engine on for the next driver, he eventually turned up 12 minutes later by which time the next 63 had been trying to get on the stand, ended up stopping in front of 4513 blocking half the road. Then they departed almost together and ran in tandem most of the way to M'bro.
(18 Feb 2016, 2:55 pm)S813 FVK wrote Forgive my stupidity but do Arriva drivers have their own ticket machines?

I only ask because i watched a driver changeover at Whitby on 7401 at around 14:30 (Scarborough bound X93) and when the previous driver got off, i noticed the driver removed the ticket machine and the next driver put a different ticket machine on (well, tried to, didn't seem to want to go so he went off to get another).

At first, I thought it was because the previous machine had a fault but that couldn't (in my opinion) be the case because the previous driver had let around 15-20 people on in a reasonable amount of time (looking at 2-4 minutes roughly) without any clear issues.

I know how stupid it sounds but I just found it unusual how a ticket machine that seemed to be working without any issues was replaced, ironically by one that did seem to have issues!

We have our own smartcard to log on the machines but no we don't have our own machines. The machine will have most likely developed a fault maybe the smartcard reader itself or the GPS sensor.

Hope this helps
(18 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm)Multi21 wrote We have our own smartcard to log on the machines but no we don't have our own machines. The machine will have most likely developed a fault maybe the smartcard reader itself or the GPS sensor.

Hope this helps

Thank you. I knew it would be pointless each driver having their own machines but it just seemed strange how the machine which, as i stated, seemed to be working fine, was replaced.
(19 Feb 2016, 3:07 pm)GX03 SVC wrote 4516 is on loan to Ashington until further notice.

How many vehicles do they have off the road like?
(19 Feb 2016, 3:10 pm)mb134 wrote How many vehicles do they have off the road like?

Quite a few, 7501-13 have been playing up quite recently with constant breakdowns, 7525 is still away at Gardiners (I believe that's where "somewhere south" is.), and various checks that need covering and PSVs etc.
(19 Feb 2016, 3:10 pm)mb134 wrote How many vehicles do they have off the road like?

An image on Facebook showed 7504 awaiting mechanics in the depot.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(19 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Quite a few, 7501-13 have been playing up quite recently with constant breakdowns, 7525 is still away at Gardiners (I believe that's where "somewhere south" is.), and various checks that need covering and PSVs etc.

Did Ashington ever receive a cover vehicle for 7525? Can't ever remember seeing anything about one, unless that's why they've eventually sent 4516? 

The thing that's annoying is that the depot will get slated by customers etc, where really it's Arrivas fault for providing vehicles that just aren't up to the job.
(19 Feb 2016, 3:37 pm)mb134 wrote Did Ashington ever receive a cover vehicle for 7525? Can't ever remember seeing anything about one, unless that's why they've eventually sent 4516? 

The thing that's annoying is that the depot will get slated by customers etc, where really it's Arrivas fault for providing vehicles that just aren't up to the job.

I doubt most normal passengers are stood there going, damn Ashington depot!
(19 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Quite a few, 7501-13 have been playing up quite recently with constant breakdowns, 7525 is still away at Gardiners (I believe that's where "somewhere south" is.), and various checks that need covering and PSVs etc.

The Gardiners that your on about is in Spennymoor, so yeah it's down south to yous lot
(19 Feb 2016, 3:37 pm)mb134 wrote Did Ashington ever receive a cover vehicle for 7525? Can't ever remember seeing anything about one, unless that's why they've eventually sent 4516? 

7501 - 7509 would've been suited to the likes of the 43/44/45. Their express work days are well and truly over.

If Arriva want to replace them, they better act fast as Euro 5 examples of the E400 and for that matter, the classic bodywork will most likely stop being produced this year.

If they haven't got anything lined up, then they will have to take the following into consideration when they replace them as having 2x vehicle types (MMC and Classic) would look absolutely s***e on a 'premium' route. It would either be a case of another route either in the N.E or nationally requiring 7x Sapphire Spec E400s or for that matter, how ever many Sapphire single decks Belmont / Darlington could release if the 7 became a fully double deck operation. If the latter was to happen, the most logical solution after 15x new deckers have been purchased, would be to transfer 7522-7524 to Darlington with 7525-7526 transferring to Belmont with 7527 alongside as a spare (Darlington / Belmont) with 7528 staying in Ashington as a spare with 7518 either staying at Ashington or moving to Belmont / Darlington depending on required needs. This would mean bar any spares, all of Ashington's Sapphire double deck operation would be to MMC / Euro 6 spec with Belmont's / Darlington's Sapphire double deck operation being to Classic / Euro 5 spec.

Regardless of the need however, the main issue would be what to do with the 57 plates as they've had it. No good sticking them on the 35 et al as that would simply dilute the Sapphire brand even further.
(19 Feb 2016, 5:01 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote 7501 - 7509 would've been suited to the likes of the 43/44/45. Their express work days are well and truly over.

If Arriva want to replace them, they better act fast as Euro 5 examples of the E400 and for that matter, the classic bodywork will most likely stop being produced this year.

If they haven't got anything lined up, then they will have to take the following into consideration when they replace them as having 2x vehicle types (MMC and Classic) would look absolutely s***e on a 'premium' route. It would either be a case of another route either in the N.E or nationally requiring 7x Sapphire Spec E400s or for that matter, how ever many Sapphire single decks Belmont / Darlington could release if the 7 became a fully double deck operation. If the latter was to happen, the most logical solution after 15x new deckers have been purchased, would be to transfer 7522-7524 to Darlington with 7525-7526 transferring to Belmont with 7527 alongside as a spare (Darlington / Belmont) with 7528 staying in Ashington as a spare with 7518 either staying at Ashington or moving to Belmont / Darlington depending on required needs. This would mean bar any spares, all of Ashington's Sapphire double deck operation would be to MMC / Euro 6 spec with Belmont's / Darlington's Sapphire double deck operation being to Classic / Euro 5 spec.

Regardless of the need however, the main issue would be what to do with the 57 plates as they've had it. No good sticking them on the 35 et al as that would simply dilute the Sapphire brand even further.

If Arriva were going to spend all that money on 15 brand new Sapphire double deckers for the X21/X22, then surely they would have done that in 2014 when the X21/X22 were launched as Sapphire rather than spend money refurbishing 57 reg Enviro 400's and buying some brand new double deckers only for them to be replaced by yet more double deckers a few years later, with some issues as to where would be a suitable home for the 57 reg Sapphire Enviro 400's.

I think we all need to face facts that the Enviro 400's currently used on the X21/X22 probably aren't going anywhere else anytime soon.
Site Administrator
Hopefully 'until further notice' isn't too permanent an arrangement, given that 4516 carries route-branding for a specific service.
(19 Feb 2016, 6:13 pm)Dan wrote Hopefully 'until further notice' isn't too permanent an arrangement, given that 4516 carries route-branding for a specific service.

They should of sent 1764 back
Best bus ever
(19 Feb 2016, 6:26 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote They should of sent 1764 back

Because that's big enough for the services 4516 will/may be used on...
(19 Feb 2016, 5:14 pm)Jimmi wrote If Arriva were going to spend all that money on 15 brand new Sapphire double deckers for the X21/X22, then surely they would have done that in 2014 when the X21/X22 were launched as Sapphire rather than spend money refurbishing 57 reg Enviro 400's and buying some brand new double deckers only for them to be replaced by yet more double deckers a few years later, with some issues as to where would be a suitable home for the 57 reg Sapphire Enviro 400's.

I think we all need to face facts that the Enviro 400's currently used on the X21/X22 probably aren't going anywhere else anytime soon.

Well if they don't replace them anytime soon, then the X21 / X22 will end up with the same if not, worse issues than what the Pronto is currently facing until it gets a rebrand alongside the new Streetdecks due to go into service before easter.

If Arriva don't sort the X21 / X22 out, then all that will happen is passengers will simply think 'what's the point?' and just end up looking for alternative means to get places thus losing custom. Up to now, the passengers have been patient from the X21 being de-toured in order to help the X22 become a more profitable service than what it used to be and so forth. The least Arriva could do is supply a decent standard of vehicle for a 'premium' service to keep their passengers happy.

Them 57 plates should never have been refurbished in the first place for such a premium service, end off. Arriva have the capacity to offer a top service, it's just a shame that they choose not to invest like other operators and pay attention to detail. I know another big operator is sometimes guilty of the latter sometimes but it's constant with Arriva.
Speaking of the X21/X22, is there a reason these aren't MAX services? It seems strange that most of the other intercity services out of Newcastle (to Blyth/Ashington (X20)/Alnwick/etc) are MAX while this service is Sapphire.

I get that the buses have power and next stop announcements which aren't on other Newcastle MAX services but it seems strange to distinguish one route. I could understand if it was the most frequent service to/from Newcastle but there are others as often as this one.
(19 Feb 2016, 6:13 pm)Dan wrote Hopefully 'until further notice' isn't too permanent an arrangement, given that 4516 carries route-branding for a specific service.

Might as well take the branding off it! Although Jesmond could have sent something more suitable... I guess it's just what they had available, but I hope they'd swap it for something else asap.