You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions
(05 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm)Andreos1 wrote I stopped at the bit where the Mercs on the 4 got replaced by Streetlites.
Can't be doing with them on the 78, smiling through gritted teeth at them appearing on the 20's.
Having them on the 4 as well would be too much to cope with!

The mercs would have to be completely un-roadworthy before I'd ever consider replacement with streetlites to be a good move. They're a fair replacement for Solars which have seen much better days, but not for workhorse citaros, still in good nick.

(We caught the citaro on the X66, this afternoon, just to listen to the engine. Even the gaggle of young teenage girls sat near us noticed that it was a different bus from normal, not because of the plain red paintwork, but because the engine sounded different!)
(05 Mar 2016, 10:38 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The mercs would have to be completely un-roadworthy before I'd ever consider replacement with streetlites to be a good move. They're a fair replacement for Solars which have seen much better days, but not for workhorse citaros, still in good nick.

(We caught the citaro on the X66, this afternoon, just to listen to the engine. Even the gaggle of young teenage girls sat near us noticed that it was a different bus from normal, not because of the plain red paintwork, but because the engine sounded different!)

I know this is off-topic but by looking at your posts today it looks like you've been round the whole North East in a day Big Grin
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Ahead of the Park and Ride in Birtley....

22 Eighton Lodge - Durham Road - Gateshead (through tickets available)

Reasoning

The park and ride is designed to support Gateshead. So any potential funding from the DFT won't support Newcastle.

Alleviate pressure on the 21, particularly when peak time loads leave Birtley heavily loaded.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(05 Mar 2016, 10:53 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I know this is off-topic but by looking at your posts today it looks like you've been round the whole North East in a day  Big Grin

Started off with a hair appointment for Big'un in Durham - actually bumped into Husband, Littl'un and mother-in-law in the marketplace! Then down to Bishop for a whizz around, up to Gateshead - ate now warm sandwiches in the bus station then legged it onto the X66 when the Citaro turned up. Nipped to the loo at the Metrocentre, as we were both busting by then, then after a few minutes watching what was coming in, hopped onto a 100. The sun had finally come out by the time we reached monument, so we took a walk around, popping into Cotswold to see if they had the coat we'd seen in the morning in Durham. They didn't, so we walked the long way around to Eldon Square via Haymarket, popped into Waitrose to grab something for dinner, then hopped on the X1 (did not want to do Durham road again and have done loads of Stanley and Consett, recently). Straight off that onto the 8 to Sunderland, then we did something unusual and ran straight around the station to catch the 22 home from there!
(05 Mar 2016, 11:02 pm)Ambassador wrote Ahead of the Park and Ride in Birtley....

22 Eighton Lodge - Durham Road - Gateshead (through tickets available)

Reasoning

The park and ride is designed to support Gateshead. So any potential funding from the DFT won't support Newcastle.

Alleviate pressure on the 21, particularly when peak time loads leave Birtley heavily loaded.

Could you extend it to Barley Mow?
I was thinking along the lines of the 26, but with the number of cars parking in the estate, particularly on Dorset Ave, that may not work.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(06 Mar 2016, 9:56 pm)BusLoverMum wrote More fantasy bus buying by 12 year olds. My fridge is getting covered in this stuff! Rolleyes

I'd quite like to see those Streetdecks for the Northern group of services. The livery would seriously need to be redone though.
(06 Mar 2016, 9:58 pm)S813 FVK wrote I'd quite like to see those Streetdecks for the Northern group of services. The livery would seriously need to be redone though.

I don't know. That's one route that really needs something with a bit more oomph than a street deck.
(06 Mar 2016, 9:56 pm)BusLoverMum wrote More fantasy bus buying by 12 year olds. My fridge is getting covered in this stuff! Rolleyes

I like how he's gone to the effort of generating registration marks for them all too. Smile

A Streetdeck in TTX livery would be seriously smart mind.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(06 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm)Adrian wrote I like how he's gone to the effort of generating registration marks for them all too. Smile

A Streetdeck in TTX livery would be seriously smart mind.

It would indeed!
22 - Durham Road (Cromer Court North Bound) - Low Fell - Gateshead Interchange - Newcastle City Centre - Central Station - Bensham Road - Saltwell Park - Durham Road (Cromer Court North Bound)

23 - Durham Road (Calderwood Cresent South Bound) - Saltwell Park - Bensham Road - Central Station - Newcastle City Centre - Gateshead Interchange - Low Fell - Durham Road (Calderwood South Bound)

24/24A - Gateshead - Q.E. Hospital - Beacon Lough Road - Easedale Court - Durham Road (Cromer Court) - Low Fell - Gateshead
(10 Mar 2016, 4:13 pm)Malarkey wrote 22 - Durham Road (Cromer Court North Bound) - Low Fell - Gateshead Interchange - Newcastle City Centre - Central Station - Bensham Road - Saltwell Park - Durham Road (Cromer Court North Bound)

23 - Durham Road (Calderwood Cresent South Bound) - Saltwell Park - Bensham Road - Central Station - Newcastle City Centre - Gateshead Interchange - Low Fell - Durham Road (Calderwood South Bound)

24/24A - Gateshead - Q.E. Hospital - Beacon Lough Road - Easedale Court - Durham Road (Cromer Court) - Low Fell - Gateshead

Is Durham Road the new Lambton Adam?

You have not moved there by any chance  Tongue
(10 Mar 2016, 4:43 pm)citaro5284 wrote Is Durham Road the new Lambton Adam?

You have not moved there by any chance  Tongue

Not that I am aware of.

Up until last Wednesday I spent 10 Days at my Dads at Low Fell, that must be the reason for the above suggestion.
(10 Mar 2016, 5:29 pm)Malarkey wrote Not that I am aware of.

Up until last Wednesday I spent 10 Days at my Dads at Low Fell, that must be the reason for the above suggestion.

When i lived there, both the 1 and 27 were completely different services - the 1 ran into the centre of newcastle (by the Odeon) and the 27 only came from as far away as Heworth and did Beacon lough and Dryden road - which was great when travelling from Valley Drive, Musgrave road and the gardens. I think re-instating a service going the way of the old old 27 would be useful. (Edit just clicked that the Q1/2 do this section, now)
(11 Mar 2016, 12:09 am)BusLoverMum wrote When i lived there, both the 1 and 27 were completely different services - the 1 ran into the centre of newcastle (by the Odeon) and the 27 only came from as far away as Heworth and did Beacon lough and Dryden road - which was great when travelling from Valley Drive, Musgrave road and the gardens. I think re-instating a service going the way of the old old 27 would be useful. (Edit just clicked that the Q1/2 do this section, now)
The number if cars parking at odd angles on both Kells Lane and Dryden Road, is getting beyond silly now.
It wouldn't surprise me if we see some sort of route variation for the Q1/Q2 on that section in the next few years.
99: Downhill - Park Lane Seaburn
I can't see it occurring, but if it did it could help passenger numbers on the X36 & 99. What would happen is the X36 would be re-numbered 99 but continue to operate half hourly.
(13 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm)Davie wrote 99: Downhill - Park Lane Seaburn
I can't see it occurring, but if it did it could help passenger numbers on the X36 & 99. What would happen is the X36 would be re-numbered 99 but continue to operate half hourly.
As i use these two services very regularly i take notes
On friday i done a run on the 99 with 4904 from vickaridge farm 2 boarded at blind lane 5 boarded leading to 7 passengers at sainsburys 4 left and one boarded the 2 passengers first on left at the stop before barnes park the last two remained one of them left at badger minibuses stop about 5 boarded at hylton retail park 3 left on north hylton road presumably to connect with the 56 one left at town end farm with the other two leaving at downhill we were empty till old mill road where atleast 4 boarded no more boarded after that and these 4 all alighted at seaburn metro no more passengers from there
Best bus ever
Service 19- Ashington

When it leaves northumberland park it turns right amd onto the bypass to earsdon. Why doesnt it turn left and either left at roundabout into moorside or straight on and along over metro bridge then left at grey horse onto bypass that way. Opening connections from bottom shiremoor-cobalt and silverlink.
Had riverside had retained the service 5 I would have liked

5. South Shields - hospital - whiteleaa - Boldon Asda - fellgate - lakes estate - Jarrow. Every 60 mins

5A South Shields - hospital - whiteleas -Boldon Asda - Fellgate - Heworth - Gateshead - Metrocentre. Every 60 minutes express between Heworth/Gateshead/Metrocentre.

Providing 30 min service still between Shields and Fellgate.

But seeing as transferred to Washington depot from next month I think this is just wishful thinking now.
89 - Chester Le Street - Birtley - Kibblesworth - Lamesley - Team Valley Retail World - Lamesley - Kibblesworth - Birtley then current 82 route to Galleries - Chester Le Street
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Once the 50 transfers to washy, will they withdraw the 83A and just have the 4 to replace heworth to galleries and introduce an early 50 from galleries to Chester?
(14 Mar 2016, 1:39 pm)Ambassador wrote 89 - Chester Le Street - Birtley - Kibblesworth - Lamesley - Team Valley Retail World - Lamesley - Kibblesworth - Birtley then current 82 route to Galleries - Chester Le Street
That would be better off being numbered the 84 IMO.
(14 Mar 2016, 1:59 pm)JP6004 wrote Once the 50 transfers to washy, will they withdraw the 83A and just have the 4 to replace heworth to galleries and introduce an early 50 from galleries to Chester?
It would be a 50A.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(14 Mar 2016, 1:59 pm)JP6004 wrote Once the 50 transfers to washy, will they withdraw the 83A and just have the 4 to replace heworth to galleries and introduce an early 50 from galleries to Chester?

It appears that Gateshead Central Taxis wil be gaining the 83A contract. Not sure if there are any plans for an earlier 4 or 50 journey though?
207 rainton bridge-Easington lane-easington village-peterlee-wingate
This service replaces the 923 and joins with the 206 to provide more frequent buses.
Both services every 2 hours making a hourly joint service.
This will give wingate links to rainton bridge on a morning
During thd day the service is peterlee to wingate at peak times the pvr is 2
Best bus ever

83A is contracted by Nexus, and takes a completely different route? I use it quite often, and you'd be surprised how few use it from the Galleries all the way through to Chester. A lot are on and off in between.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
SERVICE 31

Eldon Square - Business Park - Blaydon - Heddon View - Winlaton.   Then continues as 49A to Metro Centre & Gateshead, with Through fares available.

SERVICE 32

Eldon Square - Business Park - Blaydon - Hazel Road - Snook Hill - Winlaton.  Then continues as 49 to Metro Centre and Gateshead, with through fares available.

Both services would run every 30 mins Newcastle - Winlaton - Gateshead, giving a bus every 15 mins Eldon Square - Blaydon and Shibdon Road - Gateshead.

Additional journeys would run Metro Centre - Dunston - Gateshead (49B) to give a bus every 7/8 mins.

Services 31/32 and 49/49A/49B would be branded Blaydon Racer using 5275-83 and 5320-24.

12/12A replaced by 31/32.

SERVICE 10A

renumbered 12.

SERVICE 10B

Renumbered 11.

Services 10/11/12 rebranded as TYNE VALLEY Links, with Pale blue rebranded ex TEN B9's.

SERVICE 11

From Clayton Street, buses will run via St Andrews Church, Blackett Street and Pilgrim Street to terminate at Theatre Royal, before continuing as service 96 to Lobley Hill.

Renumbered 48.

SERVICES X84/X85

rebranded as TOONLINK

Fleet changes :-

5320-24  Deptford - Riverside (repainted into Blaydon Racer livery)
4978-82  Riverside - Deptford (for service 61)
5234-38  Riverside - Hexham  (for X84/X85) WIFI added
5229-33  Hexham - Percy Main (for service 9)
4912-17  Percy Main - Riverside (replacing 4897-4902 for withdrawl, with ex PB scania onto service 17)
(26 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm)park5354 wrote SERVICE 31

Eldon Square - Business Park - Blaydon - Heddon View - Winlaton.   Then continues as 49A to Metro Centre & Gateshead, with Through fares available.

SERVICE 32

Eldon Square - Business Park - Blaydon - Hazel Road - Snook Hill - Winlaton.  Then continues as 49 to Metro Centre and Gateshead, with through fares available.

Both services would run every 30 mins Newcastle - Winlaton - Gateshead, giving a bus every 15 mins Eldon Square - Blaydon and Shibdon Road - Gateshead.

Additional journeys would run Metro Centre - Dunston - Gateshead (49B) to give a bus every 7/8 mins.

Services 31/32 and 49/49A/49B would be branded Blaydon Racer using 5275-83 and 5320-24.

SERVICE 10A

renumbered 12.

SERVICE 10B

Renumbered 11.

Services 10/11/12 rebranded as TYNE VALLEY Links, with Pale blue rebranded ex TEN B9's.

SERVICE 11

From Clayton Street, buses will run via St Andrews Church, Blackett Street and Pilgrim Street to terminate at Theatre Royal, before continuing as service 96 to Lobley Hill.

Renumbered 48.

SERVICES X84/X85

rebranded as TOONLINK

4912-17  Percy Main - Riverside (replacing 4897-4902 for withdrawl, with ex PB scania onto service 17)

I think the TEN brand is a strong brand despite the subnumbers and doesn't really need changing. Got a good customer base and good marketing. 

Not knocking your ideas though; someone else might agree with you on the TEN brand.
(26 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm)park5354 wrote SERVICE 31

SERVICE 32

SERVICE 10A

renumbered 12.

SERVICE 10B

Renumbered 11.

SERVICE 11

Renumbered 48.

SERVICES X84/X85

rebranded as TOONLINK

I quite like this, Though the current 12 route to Winlaton tagged onto the 49 is going to be quite long journey times from the likes of Dunston, Where theres 3x faster services to Eldon Square on offer.
Also adding them 2 routes together would mean passing Blaydon Bus Station twice, Which would cause a bit of confusion among a few.

X84/X85 would work well with Omnicitys, Though Citaros might be a better option to get passengers off the 85/685, Maybe switch 5229-5233 with the Citaros of the 61 ( Don't know how many )
Or if left for 1 or 2 more years, We could see investment on the route.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
X87.south shields -tyne dock - direct to jarrow-hebburn-pelaw-gateshead-eldon squre.
This service and service 40 will run from south shields to newcastle
The 27 renumbered to 87 no timetable changes
The x87 to interwork with the 87
The x87 will not stop at heworth and will follow the x34.
X87 hourly mon to sat no sunday service except gnr
The 87/x87 remain with citaros but 2 more added and a possible brand change
Best bus ever
Assuming Weardale still extend to Kilhope in the summer, maybe it is worth GNE extending their Alston or Allenheads services to the museum too.

It would be an infrequent service, but I feel it would aid numbers on the Hexham based routes by having an attraction such as Kilhope made accessible. Not too different to the Hadrians Wall service, but not a standalone offer like that is.
Obviously it opens up new options for passengers living in the dales - particularly if the services were to connect somehow with the Weardale service.