You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

500 Group Annual Teesside Running Day 2016

RE: 500 Group Annual Teesside Running Day 2016
This post will be updated with the vehicles as they arrive

500 Group Teesside Running Day 2016

Attending
H106 (RDC 106R)
99 (JDC 599)
Stagecoach ADL E300 27245*
Stagecoach Volvo Olympian 16836*
Stagecoach Volvo B10M Trainer 20121
(24 Apr 2016, 7:04 am)Kuyoyo wrote This post will be updated with the vehicles as they arrive

500 Group Teesside Running Day 2016

Attending
H106 (RDC 106R)
99 (JDC 599)
Stagecoach ADL E300 27245*
Stagecoach Volvo Olympian 16836*
Stagecoach Volvo B10M Trainer 20121

I do apologise for not updating but those who arrived before the first bus was due to depart will be aware of the issues faced this morning and throughout the day with vehicles.

I will put a larger more detailed post on once at home.
First time that I've done this event, and thought it was a cracking day to be honest. We certainly had the weather on our side too, with the Sun coming out in force around lunch time.

Highlight of the day was has to be my ride out on ex-United Bristol RE 6080 / SHN80L. This not only looks the part, but it runs brilliantly too.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
I enjoyed myself today, got to ride a few buses I hadn't sampled before and one or two that I had. Think my favourite ride of the day was Stagecarriage's ex Stagecoach Volvo Olympian R833OVN, was also an amusing journey as a Stagecoach driver was shouting at the Stagecarriage driver saying something along the lines of "you shouldn't be stopped there, you're not in service, I'm going to report this" I also quite enjoyed Black Prince liveried Mercedes/Optare Prisma N577EUG.

I saw many faces I know around, talked to some but I seemed to be pretty quiet today I thought which was not the intention.

Photos will be on Flickr later this evening.
(24 Apr 2016, 5:34 pm)Jimmi wrote I enjoyed myself today, got to ride a few buses I hadn't sampled before and one or two that I had. Think my favourite ride of the day was Stagecarriage's ex Stagecoach Volvo Olympian R833OVN, was also an amusing journey as a Stagecoach driver was shouting at the Stagecarriage driver saying something along the lines of "you shouldn't be stopped there, you're not in service, I'm going to report this" I also quite enjoyed Black Prince liveried Mercedes/Optare Prisma N577EUG.

I saw many faces I know around, talked to some but I seemed to be pretty quiet today I thought which was not the intention.

Jimmi unfortunately it's quite common for that to come from stagecoach drivers. A bus in a setting down only bus stop. Oh the travesty!! Hope the stagecarriage driver told him to get stuffed
(24 Apr 2016, 5:04 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I do apologise for not updating but those who arrived before the first bus was due to depart will be aware of the issues faced this morning and throughout the day with vehicles.

I will put a larger more detailed post on once at home.

Ok, here goes.....

A small amount of people will have spotted me as the Transporter Inspector - that came about after H106 failed with a burst air pipe just before it was due to go light to Stockton to do the first run of the day. At the same time, LFS296F (the Alder Valley Open Top VR) was also declared failed due to gearbox issues. As such, JDC599 was bumped up to work a delayed first trip from Stockton but developed issues.

We also had a fail to attend in the form of Darlington Corporation Daimler AHN451B. As such, South Shields Busways Atlantean SCN268S was quickly asked to cover the majority of the booked trips. The Open Top VR was covered by the Stagecarriage team with R833OVN covering the Yarm trip and YN03DFC covering the 42 trip via ICI Billingham and Norton. 

Fortunately, H106 was fixed in time for the first trip of one of this year's 2 new routes - the 92, taking in the old Trollybus routes in the Eston area. The other new service - the 212 to Stockton then Norton and Billingham Greens - was originally planned to be the route worked by the OK Tiger LTF5X was instead covered by 6080, The Eden Leopard and the Stagecarriage Olympian.

The full attenting rota
On Runs
Bristol VR H106 (RDC 106R)
Dennis Loline 99 (JDC 599)
Stagecarriage 23 (R833 OVN)
Stagecarriage 28 (YN03 DFC)
United Bristol RE 6080 (SHN 80L)
Black Prince Mercedes Primsa N577EUG
Newcastle Corporation Atlantean  221 (221 JVK)
Barrow Corporation Atlantean 104 (LEO 734Y)
Darlington Transport Fleetline 50 (NHN 250K)
West Yorkshire PTE Leopard 8534 (RWU 534R)
Generation Travel Mercedes Tourino V222GEN (BX06UMZ)
Bristol LH AFB586V
Skelton Coaches 
Commerical Coaches Vovlo B11R/Sunsundegui SC7 BU16UYF
The Eden Leyland Leopard L14 (PPT 446P)
Midland Red BMMO C5 4780 (780 GHA)
West Yorkshire Bristol MW CUG27 (8124 WX)
Northern MCW Metrobus 3501 (UTN 501Y)
Yesterbus Leyland National YFY4M
South Shields Busways Atlantean SCN268S
Alder Valley Open Top Bristol VR LFS296F

On Display
Stagecoach on Teesside 'Connecting the Dots' ADL Enviro300 27245 (SN65 OCF)
Stagecoach on Teesside Volvo Olympian 16836 (R836 OVN)
Stagecoach on Teesside Volvo B10M Trainer 20121 (P121 XCN)
Arriva North East 'MAX X12' Pulsar 1442 (NK10 CFE)
Arriva North East DAF SB4000 Trainer 9991 (V210 DJR)
Newcastle Buways Atlantean EJR111W
London Transport Routemaster RML2551 ()JJD 551D)

That should be the full list - the Skelton Coaches vehicle was sadly not noted by myself.

All in all, a good (if, from my point of view, stressful) day and hopefully no issues next year
Site Administrator
(24 Apr 2016, 5:42 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Ok, here goes.....

A small amount of people will have spotted me as the Transporter Inspector - that came about after H106 failed with a burst air pipe just before it was due to go light to Stockton to do the first run of the day. At the same time, LFS296F (the Alder Valley Open Top VR) was also declared failed due to gearbox issues. As such, JDC599 was bumped up to work a delayed first trip from Stockton but developed issues.

Who gave you that title, Kuyoyo? It was 'the fat controller' by what I heard!  Big Grin
(24 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm)Dan wrote Who gave you that title, Kuyoyo? It was 'the fat controller' by what I heard!  Big Grin

That was my official designation - Transporter Inspector and Dispatcher. Seems I've got the job again next year as well
Skelton brought ESU941 for completeness.
Thoroughly enjoyed today and the first time I've actually driven any of the runs - which I did a trip to Stockton & Yarm with (one of my old friends!) Olympian R833OVN before switching to Scania YN03DFC for the Haverton Hill run to Stockton. Don't officially start at Stagecarriage until tomorrow but John wanted me to help out today which I was delighted to do.
Glad the sun came out at some points in the day, and especially for the photo shoots at the end of the day - and I thought the amount of people attending seemed much higher so maybe the message is finally starting to get out about the event after many years!
Only didn't include the Skelton vehicle details because I didn't actually know what they brought - they were down as bringing SC63TOY but didn't, and I was that busy trying to keep things going (at one point, I ended up being the only one, bar the gentleman manning our stall, still at base with every other volunteer being out as a guide.
One gripe from today is the stingyness of riders. Not aiming this at anyone in particular but if an owner is good enough to put their pride and joy to use then the least that can be done is to show their appreciation by putting something in the kitty. Not complain that the steps are too high or the bus has a "funny smell" (it's an old vehicle for God's sake) - things like this that dissuade owners from putting their buses out in the future.
(24 Apr 2016, 7:54 pm)stueybish wrote One gripe from today is the stingyness of riders. Not aiming this at anyone in particular but if an owner is good enough to put their pride and joy to use then the least that can be done is to show their appreciation by putting something in the kitty. Not complain that the steps are too high or the bus has a "funny smell" (it's an old vehicle for God's sake) - things like this that dissuade owners from putting their buses out in the future.

Do you not think you get that everywhere Stu? I completely agree with you, but I just think that people in general are quicker to complain about something, than they are to appreciate something. 

That being said, there were a lot of fantastic preserved vehicles out today. Those that own and/or maintain them deserve a lot of credit.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(24 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm)Adrian wrote Do you not think you get that everywhere Stu? I completely agree with you, but I just think that people in general are quicker to complain about something, than they are to appreciate something. 

That being said, there were a lot of fantastic preserved vehicles out today. Those that own and/or maintain them deserve a lot of credit.

It's becoming more prevalent at rallies, I really don't know what people expect at a vintage bus running day!

I was tied up all day and never got a chance to sample the other participants at the rally but there was some fantastic vehicles brought today, so to all the owners and societies that participated today, THANK YOU!!
Had a good trip today apart from the 40 minute wait at Middlesbrough Bus Station, which I am aware now to be due to issues with some of the buses which can't be helped. Had a ride on JDC 599 on the way to the Transporter Bridge and RWU 534R on the way back to the bus station, due to other commitments this afternoon I unfortunately didn't have time to ride on more buses. Thanks to the owners of these buses for their hard work and dedication, as well as the organisers and societies for their hard work and effort to make this possible.

Photos

https://flic.kr/p/FCWHqH

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
It was a shame we didn't get chance to come along. Desperately needed to get a food shop in and didn't think litt'un would have had the patience, anyhow.

Agree that the work that goes into restoring vehicles, of any sort (my dad's hobby is restoring motorbikes - the older and more obscure, the better), often from rusty shells is phenomenal and it's a privilege to have owners share their efforts with others at rallies and such.
I have to say, I think that has got to be the best Teesside Running Day that I've attended.

Even though things were going wrong, people were happy, the atmosphere was good. There was a great variety of vehicles attending and all vehicles I travelled on were a credit to their owners / operators. And was great chatting to various other enthusiasts.

My day consisted of....
Stagecarriage Omnidekka from Transporter to Stockton via Acklam. The thing went like a train, John has done a lot of tweaking to it to make it better. And myself doing a silly pose at the front in Stockton when I saw Jimmy setting up his shot, did you actually see me do it as you took the photo or did you only discover it when you downloaded your camera lol.
Newcastle Atlantean PDR1 221PVK from Stockton to Transporter
Black Prince Prisma from Transporter to Yarm and return.
Lee Garetts fantastic Bristol RE from Transporter to Stockton via the loop around Billingham
West Yorkshire Leyland Leopard from Stockton to Transporter.
Barrow Leyland Atlantean from Transporter to Stockton
Transit VR from Stockton to Transporter.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(24 Apr 2016, 9:45 pm)GMitchelhill wrote I have to say, I think that has got to be the best Teesside Running Day that I've attended.

Even though things were going wrong, people were happy, the atmosphere was good. There was a great variety of vehicles attending and all vehicles I travelled on were a credit to their owners / operators. And was great chatting to various other enthusiasts.

My day consisted of....
Stagecarriage Omnidekka from Transporter to Stockton via Acklam. The thing went like a train, John has done a lot of tweaking to it to make it better. And myself doing a silly pose at the front in Stockton when I saw Jimmy setting up his shot, did you actually see me do it as you took the photo or did you only discover it when you downloaded your camera lol.
Newcastle Atlantean PDR1 221PVK from Stockton to Transporter
Black Prince Prisma from Transporter to Yarm and return.
Lee Garetts fantastic Bristol RE from Transporter to Stockton via the loop around Billingham
West Yorkshire Leyland Leopard from Stockton to Transporter.
Barrow Leyland Atlantean from Transporter to Stockton
Transit VR from Stockton to Transporter.

Don't think I noticed until I looked at the photo on the camera when I boarded the OmniDekka.

I did the following:
Stagecarriage - OmniDekka YN03DFC: Stockton - Transporter (via I don't know where!).
Black Prince - Prisma N577EUG: Transporter - Transporter (via Stockton, Yarm then direct via the A19).
Stagecarriage - OmniDekka YN03DFC: Transporter - Boro Bus Station (only rode this twice as I wanted the toilet and some lunch, Scott was driving this journey).
Newcastle Corporation Transport - Leyland Atlantean 221JVK: Boro Bus Station - Transporter (before boarding this I spied Dan eating McDonalds - shock! Tongue )
South Shields Busways - Leyalnd Atlantean SCN268S: Transporter - Stockton.
Stagecarriage - Volvo Olympian R833OVN: Stockton - Transporter (via Billingham and Stockton again, I quite liked this bus).
Stagecarriage - Volvo Olympian R833OVN: Transporter - Boro Bus Station (was the last bus to the bus station, was going to get the train home but decided against it when I discovered the train was 25 minutes late).

Not the best variety but I had fun, would have liked the United Bristol RE but sadly it was avoiding me today, fortunately I rode it at Seaburn last year and it is a fantastic machine!