You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2016

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2016
(24 May 2016, 5:56 am)Dan wrote Two GNE red Scania L94s.

Service X35 is the only route under the "Fast Cats" brand now, using 5204 - 5209 and 5211.

Its new timetable is mis-leading then, as its down as "Fast Cats" Tongue

The new timetable for the 61 is also down as "Go North East" but as Silver.

:p Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
I'm surprised that GNE have withdrawn 4913, 4914 at Percy Main before any of the duel door versions...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 May 2016, 7:50 am)Michael wrote I'm surprised that GNE have withdrawn 4913, 4914 at Percy Main before any of the duel door versions...

4913 was probably withdrawn to eliminate the old GNE interior from the fleet, Similar to why 4921 was withdrawn from Riverside a few months ago.
Wouldn't be surprised if 4911, 4922 and 4923 are the next ones to go, Which will be a shame as all of the unrefurbished ones are in better condition in my opinion.

Also happy 4914 stalked me during the Easter holidays too, Had a unique thing about its gearbox and I loved riding it, Even if I did have it 4 days in a row!
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(24 May 2016, 11:54 am)South Tyne Lad wrote 4913 was probably withdrawn to eliminate the old GNE interior from the fleet, Similar to why 4921 was withdrawn from Riverside a few months ago.
Wouldn't be surprised if 4911, 4922 and 4923 are the next ones to go, Which will be a shame as all of the unrefurbished ones are in better condition in my opinion.

Also happy 4914 stalked me during the Easter holidays too, Had a unique thing about its gearbox and I loved riding it, Even if I did have it 4 days in a row!

I'd rather be on a bus which is still original with the yellow colour scheme, rather than having blue poles with a load of yellow showing though.

In my opinion the blue colour scheme looks rather tatty. The blue seats seem to loose their colour and look a lot more scruffy than the graffiti versions do also.
(24 May 2016, 12:54 pm)LeeCalder wrote I'd rather be on a bus which is still original with the yellow colour scheme, rather than having blue poles with a load of yellow showing though.

In my opinion the blue colour scheme looks rather tatty. The blue seats seem to loose their colour and look a lot more scruffy than the graffiti versions do also.

Same, I've noticed that the blue does show the dirt more than the graffiti, Sometimes the amount of dirt shown isn't pleasant.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(24 May 2016, 11:54 am)South Tyne Lad wrote 4913 was probably withdrawn to eliminate the old GNE interior from the fleet, Similar to why 4921 was withdrawn from Riverside a few months ago.

I'm certain 4921 was withdrawn because of a mecheanical fault, rather than the vehicle having the old seating moquette?
(24 May 2016, 2:14 pm)Coppercap40 wrote 6081  replaced at m centre by 5238 on  10B

Has it been changed over again saw it when was waiting at Derwenthaugh Bridge Bus stop after shopping at Asda and it hasn't come back

Edit: Has just shown up, on it now going home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(24 May 2016, 3:43 pm)S813 FVK wrote I'm certain 4921 was withdrawn because of a mecheanical fault, rather than the vehicle having the old seating moquette?

Cant remember anything being posted about mechanical faults, Though I might be wrong.
Does anyone know if the 700/701 makes any profit at all, since its free for Sunderland university students and teachers.

Just with the contract up for renewal next year, i was wondering if it would be worth getting bigger buses for route, even an frequency increase to every 12 minutes during term time, the PVR will be 4

However it would be good to see that happen in September, with the spare Solo SR from Riverside, it could come to Deptford and be used on 700/701 to increase the service to every 12 minutes.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 May 2016, 12:19 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Anyone seen the Streetlite demo today, might go out and photo it this afternoon.

Still at Washington Depot this evening and on the 85.
(24 May 2016, 4:29 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Cant remember anything being posted about mechanical faults, Though I might be wrong.

I recall it being about an engine issue. Think there was mention of it pouring black smoke out of the exhaust.
(24 May 2016, 6:34 pm)streetlite5402 wrote I recall it being about an engine issue. Think there was mention of it pouring black smoke out of the exhaust.

Ah right, never knew it was because of that, Cheers for the info.
(24 May 2016, 7:06 am)Michael wrote Its new timetable is mis-leading then, as its down as "Fast Cats" Tongue

The new timetable for the 61 is also down as "Go North East" but as Silver.

:p Tongue

Seems the Simplicity brand isn't being promoted as it's not mentioned on either of the timetables for the services the Simplicity vehicles operate on.

Also, the website hasn't been updated - still says 2/2A operate up to every 10 mins.
(24 May 2016, 8:09 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Seems the Simplicity brand isn't being promoted as it's not mentioned on either of the timetables for the services the Simplicity vehicles operate on.

Also, the website hasn't been updated - still says 2/2A operate up to every 10 mins.

The 5 still isn't down as "Whey aye five-0"

The 68 timetable is still online to...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 May 2016, 7:37 pm)citaro5284 wrote Yeah it is.

Thought it would be. Havnt seen it out for a while and a few b7s or the spare omnis out. Any reason why its off?
Cracking advert by the Methodist Church at the Shipcote junction in Low Fell.

Picture of an Angel Hybrid with 'Angels visit our church regularly...why don't you?'

Made me laugh!!
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
I visited the Family Fun day at Riverside on Sunday! I thought GNE did a great job. I enjoyed driving the Vykings at the coach park and the depot tour... During the tour we visited a training room and then had a little talk from a depot mentor.... Now he said once a New driver has done his training and passed his test, you go out with a mentor and you learn the 4 new starter/training routes.... Where you stay for approx 6 months.
I believe that the Q3 is one route, but does Dan or anyone know what the other 3 routes are? I'm just curious. i think he said a lot of depots but not all, have the same system in place where new drivers only drive certain routes for the first 6 months or so.
A few weeks ago I was in Stanley and got the V7 to the MetroCentre and a new driver got on it with a Depot Mentor when they done a driver changeover, guess this may be a starter route for Stanley based drivers.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
I was speaking with a Hexham driver recently, he recommended Hexham depot as a good starter depot for new drivers, due to its size and routes that it covers. 

He said all drivers initially work all routes excluding the 10 as this a different rota that you progress too through time.

He also said that at Hexham apart from the 10 which is on a different rota, you don't work any Sunday's or Bank Holidays, latest finish is usually around 8 pm apart from one late night, every 14 weeks - I think he said, which I presume is for the weekend evening 74.

But what about the Roman Wall AD122 - what drivers cover that route, I know this is just a summer season route, but it runs 7 days a week including bank holidays!! So do they have separate drivers for this route?

How do they staff the School contract runs in Hexham, especially those that use the coaches, are those specific drivers or just from normal duties?
Something I've noticed on Google Maps is that for Go North East, the bus stops now list the brand most services carry rather than the route number.
[Image: 58162467a12443dcf6da349820e99d14.jpg]

I think this is a bit confusing for just about every branded service, especially the brands which has more than one service number, such as the 28/28A or the 93/94.

I know it's been doing this for Arriva North East for a little while but there's list the brand and service number eg. Sapphire 7 and MAX X66.
(24 May 2016, 8:17 pm)Michael wrote The 5 still isn't down as "Whey aye five-0"

The 68 timetable is still online to...

The paper timetables for the 5 are promoting the brand with a Whey aye five 0 Omnicity on the front cover. However the website still needs an update.
(24 May 2016, 9:31 pm)thetravelman wrote I visited the Family Fun day at Riverside on Sunday! I thought GNE did a great job. I enjoyed driving the Vykings at the coach park and the depot tour... During the tour we visited a training room and then had a little talk from a depot mentor.... Now he said once a New driver has done his training and passed his test, you go out with a mentor and you learn the 4 new starter/training routes.... Where you stay for approx 6 months.
I believe that the Q3 is one route, but does Dan or anyone know what the other 3 routes are? I'm just curious. i think he said a lot of depots but not all, have the same system in place where new drivers only drive certain routes for the first 6 months or so.

Another Riverside starter route is the South Tyne 88/88A, Regularly see Mentors accompanying drivers on here.