You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2016
(04 Jul 2016, 12:22 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Arriva are having a CTBW event in Northumberland Street tomorrow between 11-5, apologies if it has been posted already somewhere else here's the link https://www.facebook.com/arrivanortheast...00646173:0

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Hah! That would be great if I could actually catch a bus to get there :o (not even going to try until services are back to normal)
(04 Jul 2016, 9:35 am)LeeCalder wrote From what the same person has told me, it was an overheard conversation between drivers.

Overhearing drivers isn't exactly the most reliable source of information. The context of the conversation can be quite often misconstrued owing to what part has actually been heard. Ever since the 602 and 604 passed to GNE, people have requested a connecting Arriva service between Newcastle and Metrocentre - something which frequently appeared on their Facebook page. Six years on, one has yet to materialise (unless you count the 84 of course), so it makes you wonder what has changed to make one suddenly viable? I don't think having a few spare buses around the depot answers that question.
Site Administrator
(04 Jul 2016, 4:53 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Overhearing drivers isn't exactly the most reliable source of information. The context of the conversation can be quite often misconstrued owing to what part has actually been heard. Ever since the 602 and 604 passed to GNE, people have requested a connecting Arriva service between Newcastle and Metrocentre - something which frequently appeared on their Facebook page. Six years on, one has yet to materialise (unless you count the 84 of course), so it makes you wonder what has changed to make one suddenly viable? I don't think having a few spare buses around the depot answers that question.

..and even that's going the journey!

Phoenix have been awarded with the contract, from 24th July.
(04 Jul 2016, 4:56 pm)Dan wrote ..and even that's going the journey!

Phoenix have been awarded with the contract, from 24th July.

Indeed. While the service wasn't the most direct, the journey only took around half an hour or so to complete. I believe the service also served St Thomas Street opposite the Haymarket - quite convenient for Arriva passengers alighting at Haymarket.
(04 Jul 2016, 5:04 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Indeed. While the service wasn't the most direct, the journey only took around half an hour or so to complete. I believe the service also served St Thomas Street opposite the Haymarket - quite convenient for Arriva passengers alighting at Haymarket.

Yes but it is only hourly, it is quite handy for people in Benwell though
(04 Jul 2016, 6:04 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Yes but it is only hourly, it is quite handy for people in Benwell though

Well, not really, it's only hourly and the frequency of Stagecoach services available to those wishing to travel from Newcastle to Benwell is far greater. 

However that was not my point. The point I was trying to make, and I apologise if I wasn't clear, is there was a service (albeit one secured by Nexus) available for all those Arriva passengers wishing to travel onwards to the Metrocentre from whence they came.
(04 Jul 2016, 6:24 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Well, not really, it's only hourly and the frequency of Stagecoach services available to those wishing to travel from Newcastle to Benwell is far greater. 

However that was not my point. The point I was trying to make, and I apologise if I wasn't clear, is there was a service (albeit one secured by Nexus) available for all those Arriva passengers wishing to travel onwards to the Metrocentre from whence they came.

My point about Benwell was that people use the bus to the METROCENTRE, not Newcastle
(04 Jul 2016, 6:30 pm)NK53 TKT wrote My point about Benwell was that people use the bus to the METROCENTRE, not Newcastle

Then perhaps you should make that clear rather than me having to infer what you mean by reading between the lines.
(04 Jul 2016, 6:36 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Then perhaps you should make that clear rather than me having to infer what you mean by reading between the lines.

Sorry
(03 Jul 2016, 8:43 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I don't think they have any for anywhere, from what I've seen. Too much uncertainty for them, at the moment.

If they're looking to save some money, they could certainly start by not buying expensive ThinkPad laptops for the managers.
(05 Jul 2016, 12:41 pm)Coppercap40 wrote Is 1808  still running on the 0850 or 0950 X93  from Middlesbrough ?

Not anymore no. It returned to Yorkshire in May.
Does anyone know what is happening with S616 KHN and R421 COO as they have been in the back of ashington depot for a while now?
(05 Jul 2016, 2:04 pm)Designline wrote Does anyone know what is happening with S616 KHN and R421 COO as they have been in the back of ashington depot for a while now?

Awaiting scrap
(05 Jul 2016, 2:04 pm)Designline wrote Does anyone know what is happening with S616 KHN and R421 COO as they have been in the back of ashington depot for a while now?
Apparently 1649 is to be sold for preservation by Stuart phin 1649
Best bus ever
(05 Jul 2016, 12:50 pm)S813 FVK wrote Not anymore no. It returned to Yorkshire in May.

Many thanks am going to Whitby tomorrow and was hoping it was still around !!
(05 Jul 2016, 3:44 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Apparently 1649 is to be sold for preservation by Stuart phin 1649

it would be nice to see that preserved
I was lucky to catch Belmont's Un-Econospeeded VDL Pulsar 1412 earlier on the 48. I then had the displeasure of catching Econospeeded 61 Reg 1473 later in the day on the 43. Whoever thought shifting up to 3rd gear while climbing out of Ushaw Moor saves fuel, It downshifted back to 2Nd and sometimes First again about 8 Times.
The ability to have a full and working kickdown in Vehicles especially for a very steep route is vital. Forced gear changes do not improve passenger comfort.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(05 Jul 2016, 1:29 pm)Cock Robin wrote 7424/6 the regulars now.

Pic of 7423 in Middlesbrough bus station a few days ago on Andrew Stopford's Flickr site. Nothing displaying on the destination though.
(05 Jul 2016, 8:10 pm)Simon7929 wrote Pic of 7423 in Middlesbrough bus station a few days ago on Andrew Stopford's Flickr site. Nothing displaying on the destination though.

That one has been getting used on the X12 quite a bit, based at Durham depot
I only recorded 4 Lowlanders around today, 2 were Y Reg ( One being Y688EBR ) and the 2 other being 57 Reg VDLs ( BVE and BVG )
The rest of the 43/46 ad 48 was made up of Various Pulsar's , 7423 , 7487 and 7477 ( Belmont's ALX400 )
Got a photo of 7487 outside Bearpark https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

(05 Jul 2016, 8:17 pm)tyresmoke wrote That one has been getting used on the X12 quite a bit, based at Durham depot

Was on the X12 on Saturday, Was on the 43 today.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(06 Jul 2016, 6:39 am)S813 FVK wrote Rumour that the 1808s trial was unsuccessful and the Olympus' are staying in Yorkshire

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128789124@...ateposted/

So that should mean that The 55 reg Volvo B7TL's are staying. They should be cracking on with the rest of them now, Aswell as finish off 7416.

Another thing is, What happened to the planned transfer of Castleford's Optare Tempos?
(05 Jul 2016, 2:33 pm)TEN 6083 wrote [Image: 37a1ae7613117826ac3baf69de6a7062.jpg]

7606 is the vehicle being used for Arriva's CTBW event in Northumberland Street today

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

I thought Frank Sidebottom was dead!
(06 Jul 2016, 9:27 am)Cock Robin wrote I thought Frank Sidebottom was dead!

That's his younger brother Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 Jul 2016, 5:11 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I was lucky to catch Belmont's Un-Econospeeded VDL Pulsar 1412 earlier on the 48. I then had the displeasure of catching Econospeeded 61 Reg 1473 later in the day on the 43. Whoever thought shifting up to 3rd gear while climbing out of Ushaw Moor saves fuel, It downshifted back to 2Nd and sometimes First again about 8 Times.
The ability to have a full and working kickdown in Vehicles especially for a very steep route is vital. Forced gear changes do not improve passenger comfort.

1483 was downshifting on the 52 today, I also think 1481 may have econospeed
(06 Jul 2016, 7:32 am)South Tyne Lad wrote So that should mean that The 55 reg Volvo B7TL's are staying. They should be cracking on with the rest of them now, Aswell as finish off 7416.

Another thing is, What happened to the planned transfer of Castleford's Optare Tempos?

Not sure on there arrival but they are apparently replacing the Cadets at stockton and alx300s at jesmond yet the source of information is oftern not the trueth so ill take it with a fly but would be nice.
Best bus ever
(05 Jul 2016, 5:11 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I was lucky to catch Belmont's Un-Econospeeded VDL Pulsar 1412 earlier on the 48. I then had the displeasure of catching Econospeeded 61 Reg 1473 later in the day on the 43. Whoever thought shifting up to 3rd gear while climbing out of Ushaw Moor saves fuel, It downshifted back to 2Nd and sometimes First again about 8 Times.

The Econospeed Pulsars still have a full and working kickdown.  I had 1473 last week and if you use the kickdown when necessary, it performs just like any other Pulsar (with or without econospeed)