You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(22 Jun 2016, 9:27 pm)Jimmi wrote Think the easiest way for me to catch a ALX300 would be just to stand around Haymarket until one goes out, that would also cover odd allocations as I've had one on the 43 before, saw one arrive in Haymarket as the X16 a few weeks back but it didn't go back out, which is a shame as it would have been awesome getting a thrashing on that to Morpeth. Would be a dream to get one on the 85/685.

The only issue with waiting at the Haymarket is pulsar boards tend to be blocked so you may end up waiting one hour however rare workings happen often on the 43/44/45.

As for the 85/685 I think an ALX300 on there would be vile, I had one just over a year ago Hexham-Newcastle, it was the only bad one, 4516.

NEVER AGAIN Exclamation
(22 Jun 2016, 9:14 pm)PO51WNF wrote Great review. I've been meaning to do the Cotswolds Discoverer for ages now, as I live relatively locally. It is a lovely part of the country and the rolling hills of the Cotswolds are beautiful

Cheers.

The Northern tip of the zone is Stratford, so it is very accessible to reach from that part of the Midlands. 

It is a shame some of the network isn't a little more joined up in places, but what else can you ask for, for that sort of price?

A highly recommend day out.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm)Jimmi wrote I love the ALX's which is why I was disappointed that I didn't get on one today, may have to try and ride them in the next few months. I was on 4661 from Killingworth Bus Station to North Shields Town Centre and I was sat next to the emergency exit door, I was wearing a red and navy T-shirt.

Jimmi that was some day out you had on 22 June, I'd have been shattered by the end of it! You're right about Greggs, Chicken Tikka sandwich has gone up 10 pence.

I've had hassle from Community Support Officers in the past when spotting, last time I ended up talking about local artists in Newcastle's West End!

Having a quiet weekend this week, overtime is wearing me out!

Charles
(24 Jun 2016, 12:21 pm)Charles41 wrote Jimmi that was some day out you had on 22 June, I'd have been shattered by the end of it! You're right about Greggs, Chicken Tikka sandwich has gone up 10 pence.

I've had hassle from Community Support Officers in the past when spotting, last time I ended up talking about local artists in Newcastle's West End!

Having a quiet weekend this week, overtime is wearing me out!

Charles
Yeah, it was a long one and I did feel a but sleepy at times but I was otherwise fine.

Having another North East outing tomorrow although I haven't quite decided where to head yet, may avoid Newcastle though as the Hoppings will be causing traffic chaos which I don't want.
(24 Jun 2016, 12:41 pm)Jimmi wrote Yeah, it was a long one and I did feel a but sleepy at times but I was otherwise fine.

Having another North East outing tomorrow although I haven't quite decided where to head yet, may avoid Newcastle though as the Hoppings will be causing traffic chaos which I don't want.

I'm planning on photographing the X14 on the section that will be rerouted next month, Though its extremely rural and I don't think it has any bus stops nearby to get off/on at.
And I also forgot about the Hoppings, Though I will just have to put up with it.

I'm also going to have to leave early in the morning so I ca make it home for meeting up with my mates at 7pm which bugs me a bit as I'm more of a Wake up late/ Go to bed late person
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(24 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I'm planning on photographing the X14 on the section that will be rerouted next month, Though its extremely rural and I don't think it has any bus stops nearby to get off/on at.
And I also forgot about the Hoppings, Though I will just have to put up with it.

I'm also going to have to leave early in the morning so I ca make it home for meeting up with my mates at 7pm which bugs me a bit as I'm more of a Wake up late/ Go to bed late person

Oh nice. I can't bare sitting in traffic though, simply can't stand sitting in traffic not moving.

I am fancying heading into the Durham area to maybe bash the Lowlander's before the remaining examples bite the dust, but I don't think that it would fill in enough of the day, although I am hopeful one will be on the X24 so I can catch that to the MetroCentre then head back towards Durham.

I am the same in regards to sleep, although I often get up earlier for my outings, depending on how the day works out.
(24 Jun 2016, 3:52 pm)Jimmi wrote Oh nice. I can't bare sitting in traffic though, simply can't stand sitting in traffic not moving.

I am fancying heading into the Durham area to maybe bash the Lowlander's before the remaining examples bite the dust, but I don't think that it would fill in enough of the day, although I am hopeful one will be on the X24 so I can catch that to the MetroCentre then head back towards Durham.

I am the same in regards to sleep, although I often get up earlier for my outings, depending on how the day works out.

When I'm in London style Traffic then that annoys me a bit, Took 1Hr 30 Mins on Route 63 from Peckham to Kings Cross once, On a journey which should've took 40 Mins. I got on the bus ( a B9 ) in Broad Daylight and alighted in Full Night Sky.

I've been to Durham too many times recently, Which is one of the reasons for going somewhere else this Weekend though a photo of one of the Lowlanders en route is one of my Requirements so I will be back there sometime in the imminent future.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(24 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote When I'm in London style Traffic then that annoys me a bit, Took 1Hr 30 Mins on Route 63 from Peckham to Kings Cross once, On a journey which should've took 40 Mins. I got on the bus ( a B9 ) in Broad Daylight and alighted in Full Night Sky.

I've been to Durham too many times recently, Which is one of the reasons for going somewhere else this Weekend though a photo of one of the Lowlanders en route is one of my Requirements so I will be back there sometime in the imminent future.

I know what you mean, the 63 is a common route for me and some of the timetabling is a bit rubbish.
(25 Jun 2016, 3:39 pm)Jimmi wrote Is it bad that I got 3814 on the 15A from Durham to Consett then jumped straight back on it on the 15 to Durham?

Not at all haha - who would resist a ride on an Olympian Tongue
Had my first go on a purple streetlite the other day.
Was hoping for something odd, but being a fairly regular user of the service (less so of late), it was inevitable that I would end up on one eventually.

The rattles which are noticeable on earlier batches, weren't so obvious on the two I had. Although the underfloor vibrations/rattles were evident.

One of the runs was late, so I was surprised to see it being hammered with relative ease.

I didn't get to notice the mood lighting due to the heavy loads being carried in both directions, the seemingly narrow gangway emphasising the cramped nature of the vehicles.
The three windows did nothing to cool the temperature either.
I didn't check the wifi, but the plugs worked!

One thing I did notice, was a couple of stop announcements that were missing (no idea about The Granaries VS The Graneries as I forgot to check).
The stop beside Hoton Heating and underneath the A690 - Four Lane ends Durham bound and the Shields bound beside Chilton Nursery weren't announced nor did they appear on the screen. On all three occasions the following stop was announced prior to calling/passing the three stops in question.
I didn't notice any other missing announcements on the trip.

To sum up, I still dislike the model but was impressed with the turn of speed.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Escaped from Blackpool one day for a outing in the Lakes, here's what went down...

0816 16 Marton Mere Leisure Park - Blackpool, Corporation Street (Blackpool Transport 252)
First bus of the day was this rather canny Solo, this service ran via Staining, Victoria Hospital, Blackpool Zoo and past Stanley Park. One thing that amuses me with Blackpool Transport is some of their fleet still have roller destination equipment, it's quite amusing seeing the driver having to wind the front and side destination blinds to set the destinations. Arrived in Blackpool Town Centre after a rather relaxed journey.

0930 42 Blackpool, Abingdon Street - Lancaster Bus Station (Stagecoach 16793)
After seeing Volvo Olympian 16634 on this service on Saturday, I was hopeful that I could get it on my 42 for this outing, I may not have got this example but thankfully I was gifted with Volvo Olympian 16793 which made me very happy. I took my place at the front upstairs on the drivers side which meant I could soak up the views and the views were quite nice on this route, I'd recommend this route although the clock is ticking for getting a Olympian on this route. The bus performed pretty well on this route.

1125 555 Lancaster Bus Station - Kendal Bus Station (Stagecoach 10560)
Took a few photos in Lancaster whilst waiting for my 555, there was a departure at 11:15 which runs the long way round to Kendal but I decided to opt for the 11:25 journey which runs direct via the M6 which meant I could arrive in Kendal 30 minutes earlier, allowing time for lunch and a few photos. With this being a summer only journey I did fear that I'd get an old Enviro 400 but thankfully I landed one of the new "The Lakes Connection" liveried Enviro 400MMC's which pleased me as I could see how it performed on the M6, pleased to say it performed pretty well, was pretty smooth. The interior is very nice and inviting, the seats are fantastic. USB ports worked well but sadly the WiFi didn't work at all. Arrived at Kendal Bus Station and snapped the E400 I got off with a lad and a lass taking the front seats which I previously occupied, they decided to pose for the camera, annoyingly two cyclists seemed to go out of their way to screw up my shot which angered me.

1240 555 Kendal Bus Station - Windermere Rail Station (Stagecoach 10558)
Another new E400MMC, which had caught up with me having let it go in Lancaster on the 11:15 departure. I sat towards the back, noticed a few gents sat in the seats in front of me who seemed to be looking at the bus with intrest, this plus some of the stuff I overhead made me come to the conclusion that these worked for Stagecoach in some way. WiFi did work on this one but obviously with the nature of the route, there wasn't much signal. The USB ports were under the backs of the seats which is a pretty strange place and some people's leads may be a bit of a stretch. Me and the suits got off at Windermere Rail Station who were hovering around looking at the buses.

1334 599 Windermere Rail Station -Grasmere (Stagecoach 17277)
Next up, some open top action! ALX400 bodied Trident 17277 was my chariot to Grasmere. Was nice having the wind flowing through my hair, for added fun I decided to come up with a game to play where I had to try and snap the buses coming in the opposite direction, some mixed results were captured, should explain the camera and my arms were not over the edge whilst the bus was in motion. In typical fashion being the lake's, it was a scorcher when we left Windermere but not long afterwards the clouds started to become dark, this of course resulted in a shower, most people who were in the open top section moved under the roof at this point but me, two older people and a dad with a daughter braved the weather, it actually wasn't too bad thankfully. Arrived in Grasmere just in time to catch the 555 which surprised me as when I made my plan I had noted down the bus arrived 15 minutes later than the time we actually arrived, as such this put me forward 30 minutes.

1417 555 Grasmere - Keswick Bus Station (Stagecoach 10027)
Older Enviro 400 10027 was the steed for this journey, was pretty busy on-board but fortunately I managed to get a seat upstairs to myself. The scenery started to get more breathtaking on this leg of the day out, all you could hear on this journey was the shutters on people's cameras who were taking photos on the bus, over the day I took a few on my camera and phone. This didn't seem the fastest on the hills it has to be said.

1455 78 Keswick Bus Station - Seatoller (Stagecoach 17489)
Made it in Keswick just in time to catch this although was helped by the fact it departed late. This was another open topper and if you thought my behaviour on the last open top bus was disgraceful then you'll be disgusted to hear that I sat under the roof at the front of the bus, my reasoning for this was although the sun had come back out, the seats were still wet from the earlier shower and as such I didn't want a wet backside. Another route with some cracking scenery although the roads on this route weren't very wide, this resulted in some cautious driving on this journey. One annoying thing on this journey was one of the grab rails shaking like mad making an irritating noise. Arrived in Seatoller and got some photos of 17489 although the camera was not liking the screen with the destination coming out dim in all my photos. I let 17489 head off into the distance and intended on catching the 77 back to Keswick but retracted this plan when I saw a Solo SR turn up with standees on-board, instead I got some photos, one of them being pretty scenic.

1554 78 Seatoller - Keswick Bus Station (Stagecoach 17490)
Having rejected the Solo SR on the 77 I got on this, as the sun was still shining and the seats had dried out, I sat at the back upstairs on this open topper and this driver was slightly less cautious than the driving on the previous journey, think this plus the slippery seats meant I was all over the place on this journey, was actually jolly good fun, if ever so slightly terrifying at the same time, haha. About halfway through the journey I had some elderly party poopers join me at the back, don't know about the rest of you's but I find people discussing what they have shares in to be a bit of a buzz kill. Arrived back in Keswick just in time to get a taste of home with Wright Bros service 888 loading for the long journey back to Newcastle.

1700 555 Keswick Bus Station - Lanchester Bus Station (Stagecoach 10031)
Another Enviro 400 now, this would provide me with the long journey back to Lancaster, I occupied the seats at the front upstairs on the drivers side. Although these have the standard Stagecoach spec seats, they provided me with a decent standard of comfort which on this long journey was a good thing. This one performed pretty well despite the reasonably busy loadings. Got to take in the views once again on this journey. This journey once again went 'fast' from Kendal to Lanchester via the M6, may do the Lancaster - Kendal stretch another day.

1947 Lancaster Rail Station - Preston Rail Station (Virgin Trains: 390107)
First time on a Virgin Pendolino with this example carrying a allover advert for the film Independence Day. Although these have the seats as CrossCountry's rancid Voyagers I quite liked my journey on this, seemed very smooth and felt nice inside. I could have had my first time on a First TransPennine Express Class 350 but let it go, perhaps another day.

2019 Preston Rail Station - Blackpool North Rail Station (Northern: 150215)
150215 was my last journey on public transport today, I couldn't make up my mind on whether I liked this or not. Some woman kept asking people including myself if Kirkham was the next station, unfortunately when she asked me, I had no idea but the announcement for Kirkham Station came up not long after. Arrived back into Blackpool just after 20:45 and was given a lift back to camp.

This was my first trip to the Lakes and it won't be the last, thinking of doing another trip sometime in August where I may try to do more North and either East or West of Keswick travelling from the North East via Carlisle. If anyone has any suggestions for this outing, either reply below or send me a PM to maybe save some space.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, be sure to look out for photos from my holiday on my Flickr account. Enjoy your weekend.
Brilliant Review Jimmi!

My outing for tomorrow is undecided yet, Either North Northumberland ( Alnwick Northwards ) or Berwick and the Scottish Borders.  
Though I may of course change my mind at the last minute.
(15 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Brilliant Review Jimmi!

My outing for tomorrow is undecided yet, Either North Northumberland ( Alnwick Northwards ) or Berwick and the Scottish Borders.  

oh.....not been a bad boy this weekend then  Tongue
(15 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Brilliant Review Jimmi!

Thanks. Thought about doing a review for yesterday's trip round the Flyde Coast but after how long it took to type that one, I don't think I have it in me to do another Big Grin

No plan for an outing tomorrow although I dare bet I still end up heading out in the afternoon though, won't be in the morning as I intend on staying in bed until I wake from my slumber after being up by 8am most days this week. Will have an outing on Sunday which I will incorporate with the Whitley Bay Rally where I will arrive at around 12pm.
(15 Jul 2016, 9:43 pm)Jimmi wrote Thanks. Thought about doing a review for yesterday's trip round the Flyde Coast but after how long it took to type that one, I don't think I have it in me to do another Big Grin

No plan for an outing tomorrow although I dare bet I still end up heading out in the afternoon though, won't be in the morning as I intend on staying in bed until I wake from my slumber after being up by 8am most days this week. Will have an outing on Sunday which I will incorporate with the Whitley Bay Rally where I will arrive at around 12pm.

I stopped doing them ages ago, They take too much time to write!

Outing for tomorrow is changed somewhat significantly, Off to Teeside to track down any Stagecoach Tridents, As this is one of there final weeks around.
GNE Olympians is another thing I want to do, And I need to be extremely quick if I want to do it as there replacements will be entering service in the imminent future.
(15 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I stopped doing them ages ago, They take too much time to write!

Outing for tomorrow is changed somewhat significantly, Off to Teeside to track down any Stagecoach Tridents, As this is one of there final weeks around.
GNE Olympians is another thing I want to do, And I need to be extremely quick if I want to do it as there replacements will be entering service in the imminent future.

Yeah, they can be pretty time consuming, even worse in my case as I can't seem to focus on what I type and I struggle to focus on what I'm reading, my mind just goes off completely at times, not entirely sure on what this is down to (possibly some learning disability?) all I do know is trying to make sure what I type makes sense, means I can be on for hours at times, that review took around 2 and a half hours although I did have tea part way through plus having a few breaks in-between. I really need to stop doing them for these reasons or either: cut the length of the reviews down or just do them occasionally for trips like the one I made on Wednesday. When making these reviews, I do wonder how many people actually read the reviews and if they read the whole review or not which makes me question whether it's worth my time or not.
(15 Jul 2016, 11:25 pm)Jimmi wrote Yeah, they can be pretty time consuming, even worse in my case as I can't seem to focus on what I type and I struggle to focus on what I'm reading, my mind just goes off completely at times, not entirely sure on what this is down to (possibly some learning disability?) all I do know is trying to make sure what I type makes sense, means I can be on for hours at times, that review took around 2 and a half hours although I did have tea part way through plus having a few breaks in-between. I really need to stop doing them for these reasons or either: cut the length of the reviews down or just do them occasionally for trips like the one I made on Wednesday. When making these reviews, I do wonder how many people actually read the reviews and if they read the whole review or not which makes me question whether it's worth my time or not.

I always like reading peoples reviews but no one seems to do them often which is a shame. They do take forever I guess especially if you're on a phone typing them up.

I'll probably do a couple when I go out on outings in the summer holidays, haven't been on a bus outing since May so got loads to catch up on. Still haven't even been on a Prince Bishops streetlite yet!
Did have a outing today, Though no photos were took as I only found out my camera was dead when I arrived in Thropton!

I have uploaded a photo though, Took in the Cheviots similar to one of my previous uploads.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/
Reviews seem to be few and far between nowadays, from all people, so I may as well review the weekend that's just passed. A local day using a Get Around day ticket took place on Saturday, followed by the Whitley Bay Rally on Sunday.

Saturday 16th July 2016

08:17 34 3878 Chester-le-Street Corals to Chester-le-Street Red Lion via Urpeth Grange
I walked into Chester-le-Street for about 08:15, spotting Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3878 covering for a Lambton Worm-branded Optare Versa on the 34, the first of the four boards out of the depot on a Saturday morning. The driver was an avid reader, flicking through the pages of the novel he was reading at every stop we made to wait time. Along with the Volvo B10BLEs and DAF SB220GSs, the Dennis Trident has always played some sort of role in my childhood thus far, seeing allocation at Chester-le-Street for many years. Even before the first of the batch consisting of 3858-3880 migrated from both Percy Main and Winlaton, 3801-3804 were allocated to the 724 at Bishop Auckland for a lot of the time. 3878 isn't the best nowadays, being one of only three other Lolynes still in service at my local depot, as it's gearbox keeps sticking in gear when the driver tries to use kickdown. Nonetheless, I had an enjoyable ride up to Urpeth Grange and back (having the whole bus to myself until Ouston) and did a bit of filming on my DSLR. Internally, the nostalgic vibes emitted by the original condition allows me to recollect to a previous age, hence it is my favourite of the trio. 

09:04 X25 5202 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Waldridge Village
Having alighted 3878, I wandered around for about ten minutes (I would have taken a few photos, but the sunlight was terrible. I much prefer it when it's wet or damp, anything that'll eliminate the position of the sun ruining photos) until the 09:08 Langley Park-bound X25 arrived, about three minutes earlier than it's scheduled arrival time of 09:06. The first of the five X25 boards to leave the depot on a Saturday morning, commencing from Langley Park at 07:08 with twenty minutes to run light to there from the depot, today it was in the hands of 5202, one of the younger Scania L94UBs at Chester-le-Street, that transferred across from Deptford in late 2015. I alighted at Waldridge Village and casually made my way to Edmondsley, a good mile or so along the road, observing the nice scenery and photographing 5201 and 5202 (once the latter had returned from Langley Park) in places where the sun's position complied. 

10:18 X25 4928 Edmondsley Village to Low Moor Road, Langley Park
I had a wait of about five minutes at Edmondsley before 4928 arrived to take me onwards to Langley Park. Audrey was driving, she used to be a driver at Chester-le-Street years ago and then spent a few years at Bensham in Customer Services, before returning to Chester-le-Street about a year and a half ago. 4928 is in terrible condition nowadays, but the same goes for pretty much all of the Y-reg batch. 4926 and 4930 are both exceptionally bad, 4927 just seems to plod on with things while 4929 and 4931 are the only two that I think would be worth specifically looking for. Hardly anybody else was onboard, except two pensioners who boarded and alighted at different stops, just a few stops apart. Upon arrival at Langley Park, I thanked Audrey and alighted at the stop nearest the turning circle, getting a photograph of it leaving a few minutes later for it's return journey to Newcastle. In spite of their terrible condition, it'll be sad to see the Y-reg Solars leave Chester-le-Street, having seen service here for the last five years or so, in varying roles.

10:48 14 6019 Low Moor Road, Langley Park to Durham North Road
As the X25 departed at 10:38, I had only eight minutes until the inbound 14 from Durham was due to arrive. 14s gets 7 minutes to layover at Langley Park during the daytime, and I opted to get some photos of it. The driver was Geoff Chow, he's been at Chester-le-Street for a few years now, I can remember having him a lot on the Unit 2 routes before they were amalgamated into one rota in July 2014. Traditionally, Unit 2 was the rota that ''new'' drivers would be assigned to. It consisted of more routes than Unit 1, which consisted of the 21, X25 and 71, while Unit 2 picked up everything else. Newly qualified drivers from the training school would be first assigned to Unit 2, which had a variety of routes and in my opinion, the logic seemed to be that they'd get more used to driving buses if they were driving primarily single deckers (longer in length than double deckers) on a lot of windy roads and serving varying locations than just backwards and forwards such as the 21. I had a chat with Geoff as I boarded, he asked if I'd got some good pictures and we spent a couple of minutes talking, before the time came to depart. I took a seat at the back and alighted on North Road in Durham, with a friendly goodbye from Geoff. He's a nice guy, best distinguished by the merit of him being the sole ''Asian'' driver at Chester-le-Street.

11:55 128 5419 Durham Bus Station to Beamish Museum Entrance
Spent a while at my usual spot in Durham, resting against the wall at the entrance to the bus station, managing to photograph a fair few things as the sun was in a great position, including soon-to-be-disposed-of 7438 and 7439, still in active service at Belmont. I noted that I hadn't been on a Streetlite much recently, so I decided to go with 5419 on the 128 to Beamish. Unaware of there being an event on at the museum, I ended up on a fairly packed and stuffy bus for twenty five minutes, getting to Beamish and finding a queue that stretched from the main entrance doors to the steps down, and a constant flow of cars coming in. In the interim period, I photographed 5402 on the 8 and 5216 on the 28, before catching the latter back to Chester-le-Street. 

12:40 28 5216 Beamish Museum Entrance to Chester-le-Street South Burns
This one had a nice ZF gearbox in it, unlike 4928, which just sounded like an overall clatter with either the manifold gaskets or the fan belt on the way out. My first ride on this 54-plate since it transferred in from Deptford just under a month ago, and it made a nice change to the Y-reg Solars that I've become accustomed to. 5217 is to be my next target, and then whatever else comes in after that. Upon arrival back in my hometown, I sourced Point Supervisor Gary Wheatley and chatted to him for about thirty minutes. He told me he'd seen me up on the Waldridge Fell when he'd been driving to work earlier in the morning, and had beeped but I hadn't seen him until he had gone past. Lots of drivers came over due to the confusion surrounding the diversions in Newcastle, with the Northern Pride festival bringing lots of traffic to a standstill in the city centre. Spoke to a schoolfriend who joined me on the centre island for a while, before I noticed Eddie Spence, a driver friend of mine, was going onto 34s for one round trip with 3878.......

13:52 34 3878 Chester-le-Street Red Lion to Chester-le-Street Red Lion via Waldridge Park and Urpeth Grange
I decided to round off the outing with an hour on 3878. Now that it's earmarked for withdrawal with the first influx of OmniDekkas from Brighton & Hove having arrived in the region, I need to spend as much time as I can appreciating them while I still can. I often sit and wish that I'd focused more of my time on photographing and riding the Lime B10BLEs that were still in service by the time the Streetlites entered service (4853, 4854 and 4855). I'm fairly pleased with the photographs I've amassed of the Tridents, and once the Lolynes are gone, I think I shall move on to the 51-plates at Stanley and V-reg Volvo B7TLs. After a return trip from Waldridge and loading up again at Corals for the journey to Urpeth Grange, I jumped off for a photograph opportunity when we stopped to wait time at Urpeth Grange: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...ed-public/. While I've no doubt that the Tridents won't be missed by some enthusiasts, but primarily drivers and engineers, who've had to make it through sometimes up to five hours driving what are commonly known as ''heaps of shite'' and fixing them when they're broken, I'll feel their loss. 

Sunday 17th July 2016

Arrived at Chester-le-Street depot at about 08:40, photographing depot stalwart Pat Armstrong leaving with Angel B5LH 6059. John Westmorland, part of the travelling party for the day, was stood in the depot entrance with one of the Leading Drivers, while Ben Stoves, who was officially taking the Castles Express Streetdeck to the rally, did the First Use Check. In spite of the low PVR on Sundays, I often find that the depot can be rife with activity, usually packed to the rafters with Angels at the front of the depot, as well as stuff like a Coast & Country creeping through from the main garage. 6302 (NK16 BXB) was today's chariot, having been brought up from Crook at about 18:30 the evening prior. I boarded at the depot entrance and we picked up Ben's girlfriend and children at the bus stop just down from the depot, before hitting the A1. Westmorland's suspected caffeine addiction ensured a stop at Washington Services, before travelling to Whitley Bay via Low Fell and then the Coast Road eastwards, with a nice photostop at Shields Road: 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...ed-public/.

Upon arrival at the rally site, we noticed how tight the gate was, with the Streetdeck only just getting through. We were berthed alongside Percy Main-based Optare Solo SR 680, the driver of which came across and informed us that he was covering for David Thompson. I got to know him over the course of the course of the day, not necessarily an enthusiast himself, but quite interested in buses and seems to enjoy the job. A few other things arrived over the next twenty minutes or so, including freshly-branded Volvo B9TL, miraculously still shining in it's red coat. You'd have thought a few days on the X1 would reduce it back to it's previous state. An NEBPT ''official'' informed the drivers that the shuttles to the Stephenson Railway Museum were to be ran using the four Go North East vehicles. As none of the drivers were aware of the route, when Daniel Duffy arrived with Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 556 (NK53 TKU), the eldest MPD at Hexham, it was utilised for a driver familiarisation run. The drivers from Washington and Percy Main joined Ben, John, Daniel and myself for a spirited run up to the museum. Daniel was removed from the cab by Stoves, who has a thing for MPDs and longs to be able to drive one, with his only prior experience of one being 557 at the Riverside Open Day. A resident of Ouston, a village in the district of Chester-le-Street, he had 573 and 574 for a few years on the 734 (Chester-le-Street to Ouston) and it was here that the love for MPDs began. It was no surprise that he was the first driver to take it back to the museum on the first shuttle at 11:05. Two passengers joined us while Westy and I navigated. After reaching the museum, we parked 556 across some empty car park spaces before having a wander into the museum. We spent about half an hour in the café, arguing about the pronunciation of ''Gosforth'' and ''café'' amongst many others (for reference, I say ''Gos-forth'' with emphasise on the ''or'', while they say ''Gosfuth''. I say ''caf-ay'' while they say ''cafee''. Tell me who is right and who is wrong). As we were due back out at 12:10, we walked back across and sat on 556 for a few minutes before departing back to the rally site. 

Had a chat with Ken Weaver back at the rally site, before 6053 was taken out for a spin so that Daniel Duffy and Ben could have a drive of it. A nice little layby was located when we were returning to the rally from Seaton Sluice (surprisingly, I didn't see citaro5284 at the queue for his Fish & Chips), and we took the opportunity to get some photos of it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...ed-public/. After waiting for about fifteen minutes in the bus stop adjacent to the flat tarmac surface used as the rally site, during which we again argued about the pronunciation of things such as Framwellgate Moor and Redcar (again, for reference, I pronounce these things as they are spelt. So it's ''Red-car'' and not ''Red-ca''). As the site at the Stephenson Railway isn't suitable to accommodate a double decker, I returned to Whitley Bay with Daniel Duffy while Stoves and Westy headed into the museum for a ride on the train. Sat on 680 for a short while before the driver from Percy Main decided to take it out for a spin rather than sit at the rally and do nothing with it, I think it was the only run-out this one did. Got a nice photograph of it at Tynemouth Priory before returning and then immediately jumping back on 556, which Stoves & The Gang were preparing to take out again. Once again, Ben was driving it for this trip, saying numerous times throughout the day that he could drive it for the whole day. Got another photograph in the same place as we did with 6053, with the destination set for the 688 to Allenheads: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...ed-public/. Once again, we found ourselves at the rally, and after a line-up of the four Go North East buses was formed, we left at about 16:00. John drove back while the rest of us passed the time by jabbering on about anything and everything. Fair to say that after spending so long on 6302, it's now my favourite of the batch. Arrival back at the depot was at 17:05, John took it down into the depot while the rest of us were dropped off in the mouth of the fuel line. I was surprised to see Eddie Spence was right behind us with 6060, didn't expect the first Angel to be back so early.

Had a great weekend overall, had a photo-productive day on Saturday followed by an enjoyable time on Sunday. Thanks to all those involved, and thanks for reading this rather lengthy episode of R852 RPG's Adventures. Not sure when the next one will be, potentially next weekend as I'm in York, Harrogate and Leeds with Adrian and citaro5284. More to follow... 

R852 PRG
Great review

Think I had Geoff on the X22 a few weeks back as he was asking if I got any good photos whilst he was changing onto the X22.

As I mentioned on Sunday I pronounce Gosforth and Café to the opposite of what you do, me plus most people I know pronounce Redcar as "Red-ca" rather than "Red-car" the old train announcements at Newton Aycliffe Rail Station is about the only real place I've really heard Redcar pronounced as "Red-car" although I hated his pronunciation of "Heighington" it was a case of him pronouncing it as "Hay-ington" rather than "High-ington" which everybody including the female voice now used at Newton Aycliffe Rail Station pronounce it as. Stupidest pronunciation for a place name I've heard was from a passenger on the Sapphire 7 one day who pronounced Ferryhill as "Fairyhill" The pronunciation that really infuriates me is people who pronounce the shop Primark as "Premark"
Had a outing to Northumberland in the hope of catching and riding ANEs only remaining T reg DAF DB250, Which failed miserably.
I then made my way to the coast and photographed 7486 on the X20, Which I hoped would be behind the X18 E400 so I could catch that back to Newcastle.
All in all a decent day, Though finding 7455? is a urgent thing to do aswell as photographing GNE's Service 17 and 11 before they go which is shechuled for tomorrow.

Photo of 7486 is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

Might start writing reviews again in the near future.
(22 Jul 2016, 6:29 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Had a outing to Northumberland in the hope of catching and riding ANEs only remaining T reg DAF DB250, Which failed miserably.
I then made my way to the coast and photographed 7486 on the X20, Which I hoped would be behind the X18 E400 so I could catch that back to Newcastle.
All in all a decent day, Though finding 7455? is a urgent thing to do aswell as photographing GNE's Service 17 and 11 before they go which is shechuled for tomorrow.

Photo of 7486 is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

Might start writing reviews again in the near future.

7458 is normally on the 2 I think but I've seen it on the 308 before. Good shot too
(22 Jul 2016, 6:31 pm)Tom wrote 7458 is normally on the 2 I think but I've seen it on the 308 before. Good shot too

I seen it in Morpeth a few weeks ago on the 2, Though I didn't follow it as It was only said it was going to be withdrawn a few days ago.
Cheers Tom Smile
Yesterday was my first outing in quite a while. Here’s an overview

Arriva 7513 X15 8.33 Newcastle –Alnwick
Arriva 7529 X18 10.00 Alnwick – Seahouses
Travlesure HX53ODH 418 12.00 Seahouses – Alnwick
Spirit Buses MX14FUG 15 / 16 14.15 Alnwick – Rothbury – Alwinton – Rothbury
Arriva 7414 X14 16.00 Rothbury – Newcastle

A good day with cracking weather. Spirit Buses’ excellent guided tour of Upper Coquetdale is well worth doing. Might type up a full review if I get a chance.

cHARLES
Site Administrator
My outings have been few and far between over the last few months. I do retain a small amount of activity on Flickr by taking my camera to work with me and grabbing the odd photo here and there, as well as uploading archive photos (both from my own and Go North East's collection), but it's rare I go out for a full day to take photos.

I'm actually off work for the next two weeks and I really want to make the most of them. My original plan was to split the holidays in two: one week on the buses and taking photos, and one week going out with my friends. My plan was scuppered when I realised that the majority of my friends are actually away on holiday, meaning that we can't all get together until next month. I have however proceeded with my original plan of taking photos for one week, and have purchased a 7-day 'All Lines Rover'. More on that next week!

As I didn't fancy a day in the house today, I decided to head out and catch up with some things affected by service changes at the weekend.

I'm not going to do the usual commentary, but my journey log is as follows: 

1002 #9: Newcastle Road to Park Lane - Go North East 4916
1020 #20A: Sunderland to East Rainton - Go North East 5441
1107 #20A: East Rainton to Houghton-le-Spring - Go North East 5422
1124 #X1: Houghton-le-Spring to Gateshead - Go North East 6001
1233 #X66: Gateshead to Metrocentre - Go North East 5332
1318 #11: Metrocentre to Whitley Bay - Go North East 4972
1549 #1: Whitley Bay to Wallsend - Go North East 5263
1652 #40: Wallsend to Hadrian Park - Go North East 677
1727 #57: Hadrian Park to Gateshead - Go North East 5297
1808 Metro: Gateshead to Sunderland - Tyne & Wear Metro 4033
1852 #9: Fawcett Street to Newcastle Road - Go North East 4916

I'm heading out again tomorrow too - more on that adventure tomorrow night (possibly!)
Sounds like a good day, what were the loadings like on the 11 between Newcastle to Wallsend as they always look quiet when I see them. Still never been on it like.