You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

1581 has advertising inside for the MAX X12, why?!

Unless it's allocated to the X21/22, it goes nowhere near the X12. Would it not be far more sensible to put in adverts for the X14, X15 or X20? (Already has them for the X18).
RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016
(01 Sep 2016, 10:10 am)mb134 wrote 1581 has advertising inside for the MAX X12, why?!

Unless it's allocated to the X21/22, it goes nowhere near the X12. Would it not be far more sensible to put in adverts for the X14, X15 or X20? (Already has them for the X18).
A number of buses (certainly at Darlington at least) have adverts for places served by MAX routes, for example Whitby on MAX X93, Stockton on MAX X66/X67.

One other thing to note is Darlington's Frequenta Solo's have now had the Middlesbrough part of the interior branding to say that the MAX X66/X67 runs there every 15 minutes, for a while after the changes it was still advertising it as the X66 every 20 minutes.
RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016
(01 Sep 2016, 10:10 am)mb134 wrote 1581 has advertising inside for the MAX X12, why?!

Random MAX adverts get put in certain vehicles, X12, X15 and X18 are the ones that have been given to Ashington
Belmont have gone all to cock with the rear destinations, again. All the 22
Streetlites, with their lovely wide rear display, are just showing a central rear number, now.

OTOH, the small rear display on 7419 shows both the number and destination, though the destination seems to be crammed into about 10 pixels on the left hand side and scrolling really fast!
(02 Sep 2016, 3:56 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Random MAX adverts get put in certain vehicles, X12, X15 and X18 are the ones that have been given to Ashington

The X12 just seems like a very weird choice. I'd understand if it was on a bus that should be allocated to Newcastle routes, as at least then there would be a link. It just seems pretty pointless having an advert for a route that that vehicle goes nowhere near.
(02 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Belmont have gone all to cock with the rear destinations, again. All the 22
Streetlites, with their lovely wide rear display, are just showing a central rear number, now.

OTOH, the small rear display on 7419 shows both the number and destination, though the destination seems to be crammed into about 10 pixels on the left hand side and scrolling really fast!

I blame LeeCalder  Wink Big Grin
Site Administrator
(02 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Belmont have gone all to cock with the rear destinations, again. All the 22

I'd take a guess at the displays having a 'quick fix' with the rear destination display having had its switch setting changed through the destination controller, when they were fixed a few months back.

Once a new destination programme is loaded, this 'quick fix' is wiped.

Someone just needs to change the switch setting on the destination display itself for a permanent solution.

It's worrying that the lot have been done, without testing that they're working on the first one...
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(03 Sep 2016, 8:35 am)Dan wrote I'd take a guess at the displays having a 'quick fix' with the rear destination display having had its switch setting changed through the destination controller, when they were fixed a few months back.

Once a new destination programme is loaded, this 'quick fix' is wiped.

Someone just needs to change the switch setting on the destination display itself for a permanent solution.
And preferable in the opposite direction on the Streetlites to the ALX400s!
(03 Sep 2016, 8:16 pm)BusLoverMum wrote And preferable in the opposite direction on the Streetlites to the ALX400s!

It's annoying the fact that the Streetlites and E400s are still on the wrong setting. 

The Sapphire 6 Pulsars are on the wrong setting, in thinking that they are the front destination.

At least one of the MAX ALX400s has a rear destination that thinks it's the front too. 

Someone needs to start taking quality control seriously within Arriva unfortunately.
(04 Sep 2016, 11:36 am)palatine3833 wrote It's annoying the fact that the Streetlites and E400s are still on the wrong setting. 

The Sapphire 6 Pulsars are on the wrong setting, in thinking that they are the front destination.

At least one of the MAX ALX400s has a rear destination that thinks it's the front too. 

Someone needs to start taking quality control seriously within Arriva unfortunately.

The Streetlites had all been put right, so I don't know why they've been reverted to the single number.
Site Administrator
(04 Sep 2016, 7:35 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The Streetlites had all been put right, so I don't know why they've been reverted to the single number.

There's a less labour-intensive 'quick fix' available through the destination controller to get each display working in a specific way.

However, as I said yesterday, this 'quick fix' only applies once. When the destination programme is uploaded to the bus again, any settings will revert back to their default (and hence the 'quick fix' is wiped).

I am guessing there are service changes from today, so Arriva has uploaded a new destination programme to these buses, which has resulted in the settings going back to default.

The only way for the displays to show the correct information is via a change to the switch setting on the destination display itself. Depending on the vehicle type, it can be quite difficult to access the display (which is probably why it still hasn't been done since new).
Well today was the first day of the 870 and the 6 running to Barnard Castle.

I had a ride on the 6 from Bishop Auckland to Barnard Castle tonight with 7519 being allocated, things were not without their faults, wrong destination was selected, service is split at Cockfield presumably to avoid the use of Tachographs considering the length of the route especially with the afternoon run starting at Framwellgate Moor, the screen selected was Barnard Castle via Staindrop, this caused some confusion in Bishop Auckland with passengers wishing to head to Cockfield being completely stumped by the destination, driver had to inform the passengers that he was indeed heading to Cockfield. When we got to Woodhouse Close where the Bishop Auckland College students boarded I noticed a car in front which appeared to be driven by some bloke from Arriva and it was just in front of us for most of the journey stopping where we were stopping at stops, I later determined that he was showing the driver the route... Until we got to Staindrop when he turned round leaving us to carry on to Barney with passengers having to give the driver directions for the remainder of the route with Stainton being omitted, a few stops before the terminus he came upstairs asking us for directions to the last stop along with directions back to Durham, apparently it's about 10 years since he last drove a bus to Barnard Castle. Hope occurrences like this don't become common on this or the 870, I can see it being less of an issue on the Stanhope X1 runs with that service mostly using dedicated drivers.
(07 Sep 2016, 4:13 pm)Kuyoyo wrote 1774/5 are both at Durham - moved a few weeks ago as part of the PVR increase. 2816 is also now at Durham still in Nexus livery

How may MPDs are now at Belmont?
First weekend of the new 'Booze Express' journey on Fridays and Saturdays from Newcastle to Blyth. Wonder what passenger numbers have been like?

Wonder if it proves a success whether or not they might end up doing something similar for the Ashington express services with presumably an X21 running at 23:45 (Ashington only).
(10 Sep 2016, 11:00 pm)L469 YVK wrote First weekend of the new 'Booze Express' journey on Fridays and Saturdays from Newcastle to Blyth. Wonder what passenger numbers have been like?

Wonder if it proves a success whether or not they might end up doing something similar for the Ashington express services with presumably an X21 running at 23:45 (Ashington only).

I always found it strange that the last express to Blyth and Ashington was just after 11, hopefully this later bus to Blyth shows that demand is there.
(10 Sep 2016, 11:53 pm)mb134 wrote I always found it strange that the last express to Blyth and Ashington was just after 11, hopefully this later bus to Blyth shows that demand is there.

Yer, Arriva did mention that they'd look at more routes if it proves a success. I think the X21 will be next as Bedlington has a few canny little bars on the Front St / Market Place as well as Newcastle.
New advertisement panels have been fitted on the temporary metal fencing at Ashington bus station, adverts are for services 1, 35/35A, X20 and X21/X22, and the Arriva Bus App.
(14 Sep 2016, 1:27 pm)GX03 SVC wrote 7 people have had to push 7506 off the stand at Haymarket earlier, to get it started so it could return to depot

Will probably be more needing to be pushed of the stand. No orders for this financial year unless by the look of things unless any haven't been published yet.

Said the usual time and time again.

It would be like if GNE decided to use the ex TTX deckers (tarted up of course) on the TEN and only purchased 6x B9TLs back in 2013. It would have been a disaster waiting to happen (even though they're using 3x now taking into account the nature of 6084).

Them Enviro 400s have been through a very hard life and an expensive refurbishment certainly wasn't justified. They would've been suited to the likes of the 43/44/45 and even the 306.

Got to remember that with the A1 roadworks now complete plus an improved Cowgate junction, another operator could easily take on Arriva particularly with their close proximity to the A1 plus a suitable changeover location on Ponteland Road as well as integration and combination with other local 'X' services. And not forgetting that, for any students or other people who work at the Metrocentre, a frequent bus service every few minutes run by the same company mentioned too. That company has already expanded into some of GNE's territory east of Wallsend and they're looking to expand (all divisions) rather than just sticking to Town / City territory.
(14 Sep 2016, 7:54 pm)L469 YVK wrote Will probably be more needing to be pushed of the stand. No orders for this financial year unless by the look of things unless any haven't been published yet.

Said the usual time and time again.

It would be like if GNE decided to use the ex TTX deckers (tarted up of course) on the TEN and only purchased 6x B9TLs back in 2013. It would have been a disaster waiting to happen (even though they're using 3x now taking into account the nature of 6084).

Them Enviro 400s have been through a very hard life and an expensive refurbishment certainly wasn't justified. They would've been suited to the likes of the 43/44/45 and even the 306.

Got to remember that with the A1 roadworks now complete plus an improved Cowgate junction, another operator could easily take on Arriva particularly with their close proximity to the A1 plus a suitable changeover location on Ponteland Road as well as integration and combination with other local 'X' services. And not forgetting that, for any students or other people who work at the Metrocentre, a frequent bus service every few minutes run by the same company mentioned too. That company has already expanded into some of GNE's territory east of Wallsend and they're looking to expand (all divisions) rather than just sticking to Town / City territory.

Well they only extended to Cobalt because it was funded by More cobalt and it wouldn't have lasted if not in my opinion a lot of the times the buses are running around empty past Wallsend.

I really can't see them going to Ashington or anywhere in Northumberland for that matter. they barely change their city routes never mind anything else!
(14 Sep 2016, 7:58 pm)Tom wrote Well they only extended to Cobalt because it was funded by More cobalt and it wouldn't have lasted if not in my opinion a lot of the times the buses are running around empty past Wallsend.

I really can't see them going to Ashington or anywhere in Northumberland for that matter. they barely change their city routes never mind anything else!

It's not the point of just them though, I was using them as a mere example. If a bus operator decides to sit there and do nothing, passengers will either turn to other modes of transport or another operator will step in and take passengers away.

Arriva have just got themselves in one big mess using these 57 plates for refurbs as the only suitable role for them now would be them being split around the country acting as spares for other Arriva divisions. There are no other suitable roles for them without the Sapphire brand being diluted.
(14 Sep 2016, 8:05 pm)L469 YVK wrote It's not the point of just them though, I was using them as a mere example. If a bus operator decides to sit there and do nothing, passengers will either turn to other modes of transport or another operator will step in and take passengers away.

Arriva have just got themselves in one big mess using these 57 plates for refurbs as the only suitable role for them now would be them being split around the country acting as spares for other Arriva divisions. There are no other suitable roles for them without the Sapphire brand being diluted.

But Arriva don't provide a awful service on the X21/X22? If they were that bad surely they would have done something by now. I just can't see Stagecoach expanding, GNE probably are more likely even...
(14 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm)Tom wrote But Arriva don't provide a awful service on the X21/X22? If they were that bad surely they would have done something by now. I just can't see Stagecoach expanding, GNE probably are more likely even...

Not saying they offer a bad service but surely them refurbs don't have much life in them left, they'll be 9 year old in January and for a premium express service, that isn't exactly old but not far off it.
(14 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm)L469 YVK wrote Not saying they offer a bad service but surely them refurbs don't have much life in them left, they'll be 9 year old in January and for a premium express service, that isn't exactly old but not far off it.

They did time on the 308 i breifly remember i know they were on there when i started college in 2009