You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016
I went for a run out to Berwick today using the X15 and the X18

X15 to Berwick was 7518, wasn't too bad on the flats but once it started going up hill then that when it started to struggle, other than that it was a pretty decent ride

X18 to Newcastle was 7514, absolutely outstanding, didn't really put one thing wrong, driver managed to make up 15 minutes at one point

Preferred 7514 out of the 2 journeys but now the 09 plates are starting to be a bit worse for wear really
(14 Sep 2016, 11:34 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote I went for a run out to Berwick today using the X15 and the X18

X15 to Berwick was 7518, wasn't too bad on the flats but once it started going up hill then that when it started to struggle, other than that it was a pretty decent ride

X18 to Newcastle was 7514, absolutely outstanding, didn't really put  one thing wrong, driver managed to make up 15 minutes at one point

Preferred 7514 out of the 2 journeys but now the 09 plates are starting to be a bit worse for wear really
I agree that the wear on the 09s is increasing, the best one is 7515..
(15 Sep 2016, 6:07 am)NK53 TKT wrote I agree that the wear on the 09s is increasing, the best one is 7515..

Are you joking?! 7515 could barely cope with the X21 the last time I got it. 

7514 is probably the best from that batch in my opinion, handled the X18 with ease last time it was my ride (about a month ago).
(15 Sep 2016, 4:46 pm)mb134 wrote Are you joking?! 7515 could barely cope with the X21 the last time I got it. 

7514 is probably the best from that batch in my opinion, handled the X18 with ease last time it was my ride (about a month ago).

i think 7516 is an excellent bus but not every bus is perfect all buses have their problems.
(16 Sep 2016, 12:32 pm)Designline wrote just spotted YK08 ERO in ashington depot. any reason why this is here I thought they where for blyth

Awaiting a Blyth driver to come and take it across
I has been agreed by Arriva north east that they are taking a large number of VLA buses to replace and upgrade services to max, sapphire and frequenta spec these will or should be here in late November
(18 Sep 2016, 12:51 pm)Designline wrote I has been agreed by Arriva north east that they are taking a large number of VLA buses to replace and upgrade services to max, sapphire and frequenta spec these will or should be here in late November

Will make some of the ex B&H Omnidekkas look like a Rolls Royce!

Putting 10/11 year old vehicles in Sapphire spec? Any for the Northumbria Depots?
(18 Sep 2016, 12:51 pm)Designline wrote I has been agreed by Arriva north east that they are taking a large number of VLA buses to replace and upgrade services to max, sapphire and frequenta spec these will or should be here in late November

Where did you hear this?
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
I don't think we'll see any more London cascades this year - especially considering not all of the last lot are in service yet! Also the fact that once all of 7416-27 are in service refurbished (7416 is due to go back shortly), the entire double decker fleet will comply with the DDA Guidelines means there's no need for any more deckers transfer in. Plus don't forget there's still Stockton and Redcar's Frequenta repaints to complete as well as other refurbishments to do, there's no need for any extra stock to come from London just yet.
(18 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I don't think we'll see any more London cascades this year - especially considering not all of the last lot are in service yet! Also the fact that once all of 7416-27 are in service refurbished (7416 is due to go back shortly), the entire double decker fleet will comply with the DDA Guidelines means there's no need for any more deckers transfer in. Plus don't forget there's still Stockton and Redcar's Frequenta repaints to complete as well as other refurbishments to do, there's no need for any extra stock to come from London just yet.

I have previously been working at Whitby depot on cover for a staff member off ill and there is a list of depots that are receiving these buses
(18 Sep 2016, 3:55 pm)Designline wrote I have previously been working at Whitby depot on cover for a staff member off ill and there is a list of depots that are receiving these buses

Can I ask why would a small depot such as Whitby would be the first to receive any info on matters like this?
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(18 Sep 2016, 3:55 pm)Designline wrote I have previously been working at Whitby depot on cover for a staff member off ill and there is a list of depots that are receiving these buses

More than likely, that will be the ones that arrived back in Feburary that are still undergoing refurbishment - all of which are for Durham apart from the 2 that are at Redcar.
(18 Sep 2016, 4:28 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Can I ask why would a small depot such as Whitby would be the first to receive any info on matters like this?

I don't know as I dot make those decisions and I am not from the north east area I am from arriva southend I am whitbys emergency replacement
(18 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm)Designline wrote I don't know as I dot make those decisions and I am not from the north east area I am from arriva southend I am whitbys emergency replacement

You must be very wealthy to travel all the way from Southend to Northumbria to regularly report all the goings on up there!

Very believeable...
(18 Sep 2016, 4:33 pm)Kuyoyo wrote More than likely, that will be the ones that arrived back in Feburary that are still undergoing refurbishment - all of which are for Durham apart from the 2 that are at Redcar.

There's three for Redcar not two.
I'd be unsure as to how many more would be required for MAX (and especially Sapphire) schemes in the North East given that the only upcoming Max routes are currently single deck operated.
(18 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm)Designline wrote I don't know as I dot make those decisions and I am not from the north east area I am from arriva southend I am whitbys emergency replacement

Can I smell..... BS?....
(18 Sep 2016, 4:18 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I've heard rumours that they are getting new buses......6 or 7 for Ashington.......

Can't tell whether or not this is sarcastic. If not, 6 or 7 for Ashington doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me, 8 or 9 meanwhile would surely mean the end of 7501-9 on the X21/22.

I guess 6 or 7 for Ashington could replace the 4 used on the X15, and the other 3 could be new for the 35 to accompany Streetlites.
(18 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm)mb134 wrote Can't tell whether or not this is sarcastic. If not, 6 or 7 for Ashington doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me, 8 or 9 meanwhile would surely mean the end of 7501-9 on the X21/22.

I guess 6 or 7 for Ashington could replace the 4 used on the X15, and the other 3 could be new for the 35 to accompany Streetlites.

What about the X20?

I'd say the B7TLs are more urgent to replace than 7501-09.
The B7TLs can then be cascaded to other routes or become spares.

The PVR is also a similar number too...
(18 Sep 2016, 5:34 pm)Y935 ERG wrote Can I smell..... BS?....

I think I know what my jobs is and where I live and what I am doing thank you
(18 Sep 2016, 5:47 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote What about the X20?

The B7TLs can then be cascaded to other routes or become spares.

The PVR is also a similar number too...

Sapphire the X20 Tongue
(18 Sep 2016, 5:47 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote What about the X20?

I'm not sure how much the X20 would justify brand new vehicles. Also, the '6 or 7' new vehicles has me stumped, as the only routes Ashington have that fit that perfectly are the X18 or the 35. The 35 has 3 vehicles that are only 2 years old, so would only need another 3, and I'm not sure they need to replace 7529-33 on the X18 for a good few years yet.

7529-33 to the X20 could be a possibility, if the X18 receives another 6 brand new vehicles. Or, 4 new E400's for the X15, with 7511-4 going onto the X20.
(18 Sep 2016, 5:54 pm)mb134 wrote I'm not sure how much the X20 would justify brand new vehicles. Also, the '6 or 7' new vehicles has me stumped, as the only routes Ashington have that fit that perfectly are the X18 or the 35. The 35 has 3 vehicles that are only 2 years old, so would only need another 3, and I'm not sure they need to replace 7529-33 on the X18 for a good few years yet.

7529-33 to the X20 could be a possibility, if the X18 receives another 6 brand new vehicles. Or, 4 new E400's for the X15, with 7511-4 going onto the X20.

Could be merely to get rid of the reliability problem that comes with the running the route.

The X18 is a popular route though, And the seawater got the better of the 57 reg Lowlanders that ran them for a few years, So they could be replacing them to make sure they can be used for a few more years elsewhere without problems.

Hopefully something turns up though  Tongue

(18 Sep 2016, 5:50 pm)Designline wrote I think I know what my jobs is and where I live and what I am doing thank you

Look, Without my comment getting deleted because of invasion of privacy. According to other enthusiasts you live in Northumberland and use to stand in Ashington Bus Station all the time chatting your BS to the supervisors, Which is clearly becoming visible on your posts.

You are also apparently the former Buss14 on here which says it all really...

So it doesn't sound like you know which job you have  Big Grin
(18 Sep 2016, 6:14 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Could be merely to get rid of the reliability problem that comes with the running the route.

The X18 is a popular route though, And the seawater got the better of the 57 reg Lowlanders that ran them for a few years, So they could be replacing them to make sure they can be used for a few more years elsewhere without problems.

Hopefully something turns up though  Tongue

I think, in a perfect world, the X18 needs new vehicles every 4-5 years. Purely so that they can continue to perform well on other routes, because (with the exception of the NCPII Olympians that served the people of Northumberland so very well) no vehicle in recent times would be 'good' after any more than 6-7 years continuously on that route. 

However, as we aren't in a perfect world, and as it has only been 2 years since 7529-33 arrived, I think it'd be safe to say whatever 'new' vehicles arrive, they won't be for the X18.

I'd personally like to see the vehicles (if of course there are any) be for the X15 or the X21/22. I do think there are other things that need sorting before those two/three routes, but I can't see the services that need sorting getting brand new vehicles.
(18 Sep 2016, 5:54 pm)mb134 wrote I'm not sure how much the X20 would justify brand new vehicles. Also, the '6 or 7' new vehicles has me stumped, as the only routes Ashington have that fit that perfectly are the X18 or the 35. The 35 has 3 vehicles that are only 2 years old, so would only need another 3, and I'm not sure they need to replace 7529-33 on the X18 for a good few years yet.

If they got 7 new DD's for Ashington, it's possible that they could remove the 3 Streetlites from the 35 as well as push the 4 B7TL's to Ashington to replace the 3 DAF Commanders there which are somewhat non-standard. The 3 Streetlites along with the 5 on the 23 at Durham - which have been rumoured to be being replaced previously - would provide 8 to cover the PVR of the 17/17A at Stockton depot, replacing the DAF Cadets which are due for disposal any time soon. 
Having said that I am unsure which service would provide a business case for 7 new DD's given the X18 has just received it's batch not that long ago. The only possible one would be the X21/X22 but that would obviously be a direct replacement for the 57 reg batch on there currently.
Bringing all of these thoughts together could it be there are 7 VLA's enroute to Ashington for the 35?