You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
- Service 309 would be increased to operate every 10 minutes between Blyth and Newcastle. Evening and Sunday Journeys would operate every 30 minutes.

- Service 305 would operate the original 305 route between Hadrian Park and Newcastle replacing service 58 between Newcastle abd Hadrian Park. Buses would operate every 20 minutes with evening journeys operating hourly. Sunday daytime journeys would be provided by service 310.

- Service 310 would operate every 20 minutes. Evening journeys would operate hourly with Sunday daytime journeys operating half hourly. All evening and Sunday journeys would serve Hadrian Park.

- Service 58 would be increased to run every 7-8 minutes between Eldon Square and Heworth. Evening and Sunday journeys would operate every 15 minutes.
Citylink

57 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Beacon Lough Estate - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth - Wardley

58 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Felling - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth

57/58 would Operate Every 15 Minutes/ Every 7/8 Minutes Combined Between Heworth Metro and Newcastle City Centre

FAB57 Brand would be Dropped with Passengers on that Service getting an Upgraded Service to Gold Standard with Free Wifi and other Bonuses
I'd assume Fab 57 is not a massively profitable route hence it's lack of upgrade
(15 Nov 2013, 11:10 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Citylink

57 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Beacon Lough Estate - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth - Wardley

58 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Felling - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth

57/58 would Operate Every 15 Minutes/ Every 7/8 Minutes Combined Between Heworth Metro and Newcastle City Centre

FAB57 Brand would be Dropped with Passengers on that Service getting an Upgraded Service to Gold Standard with Free Wifi and other Bonuses

Citylink service 57

Hadrian Park - Newcastle - Gateshead - Beacon Lough East - Heworth
(Every 20 mins Daytimes/every 30 mins evenings)

Northern service 58

Newcastle - Felling Square - Fewster Square - Heworth Metro
(Every 20 mins Mon-Sat Daytime/Hourly Evenings/every 30 mins Sun)

Northern service 59

Newcastle - Felling Square - Fewster Square - Black Bull - Ellen Wilkinson Estate - Wardley Terminus
(every 20 mins Mon-Sat Daytime/Hourly Evenings/every 30 mins Sun)

Northern Service 67

Metro Centre - Q E Hospital - The Ship - Heworth - Wardley
(runs via current 57 route Heworth - Wardley - Heworth)

Northern Service 69

Winlaton - Q E Hospital - Felling - The Drive - Heworth - Wardley
(Runs via current 57 route Heworth - Wardley - Heworth)

Services 58/59 would use ex Fab56 Scania (5201-10)

Service 57 would use Citylink Versa (5382-8)

Service 67/69 would use ex South Tyne5 Cadet

Citylink versa 5377-81 would be rebranded for Tynedale Express, with Hexham Scanias being rebranded for service 5.
(15 Nov 2013, 11:54 pm)benwell3031 wrote Citylink service 57

Hadrian Park - Newcastle - Gateshead - Beacon Lough East - Heworth
(Every 20 mins Daytimes/every 30 mins evenings)

Northern service 58

Newcastle - Felling Square - Fewster Square - Heworth Metro
(Every 20 mins Mon-Sat Daytime/Hourly Evenings/every 30 mins Sun)

Northern service 59

Newcastle - Felling Square - Fewster Square - Black Bull - Ellen Wilkinson Estate - Wardley Terminus
(every 20 mins Mon-Sat Daytime/Hourly Evenings/every 30 mins Sun)

Northern Service 67

Metro Centre - Q E Hospital - The Ship - Heworth - Wardley
(runs via current 57 route Heworth - Wardley - Heworth)

Northern Service 69

Winlaton - Q E Hospital - Felling - The Drive - Heworth - Wardley
(Runs via current 57 route Heworth - Wardley - Heworth)

Services 58/59 would use ex Fab56 Scania (5201-10)

Service 57 would use Citylink Versa (5382-8)

Service 67/69 would use ex South Tyne5 Cadet

Citylink versa 5377-81 would be rebranded for Tynedale Express, with Hexham Scanias being rebranded for service 5.

That'll never happen considering GNE hae just bought Versas 5377-5388
NU1 - Northumbria University Coach Lane Campus West - Newcastle Business - Northumbria University - Haymarket Bus Station - The Gate - Newcastle Quayside - Every 20 Minutes

- Connects Students with Various Area of the University Campus
- Connects Students to Newcastle City Centre for (Clubbing and Shopping)
- Connects Students to Newcastle Quayside for (Quayside Bars and Restaurants along with The Law Courts and The Baltic/Sage
Northumbria already has its own service to Coach Lane Campus Adam and it's free.

Equally NU has a free late evening bus back to halls

Rest of it is an unnecessary duplication of Quay link
(16 Nov 2013, 10:39 pm)gtomlinson wrote Northumbria already has its own service to Coach Lane Campus Adam and it's free.

Equally NU has a free late evening bus back to halls

Rest of it is an unnecessary duplication of Quay link

And indeed it is very well used! In fact it gets duped most of the day

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(16 Nov 2013, 11:18 pm)tyresmoke wrote And indeed it is very well used! In fact it gets duped most of the day

What do they dupe it with?
Yeah but would it not be worth extending it into the City Centre much like the Sunderland Connect 700 in Sunderland, it was just a thought Yesterday when I met my Brother next to the Uni after he finished work.
(17 Nov 2013, 12:07 am)Adam Malarkey wrote Yeah but would it not be worth extending it into the City Centre much like the Sunderland Connect 700 in Sunderland, it was just a thought Yesterday when I met my Brother next to the Uni after he finished work.

Stagecoach 1 already serves City Centre from Coach Lane.

The Coach Lane shuttle serves Northumbria's Central Campus. Few minutes walk from Haymarket which is more than Central enough. You then consider most people would then return to halls (nearby) or student accommodation within Heaton or Jesmond (again easily accessible)
(16 Nov 2013, 11:54 pm)gtomlinson wrote What do they dupe it with?

Classic run a decker around 5 mins in front of the E200. Usually the 100 seat B9TL.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

I hope the 5 gets new buses becasue there always breaking down and they r a pile of rubbish sitting inside of them is annoying coz u will always here rattles and this bus is always late think it should be cut off from hedworth and whiteless to give time heading to shields
(17 Nov 2013, 7:39 pm)speedwheels22 wrote I hope the 5 gets new buses becasue there always breaking down and they r a pile of rubbish sitting inside of them is annoying coz u will always here rattles and this bus is always late think it should be cut off from hedworth and whiteless to give time heading to shields

Had to read that three times! Punctuation!
Just wondering out loud if it would be feasible to divert the 21's via the Arnison Centre, rather than straight through Pity Me.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm)andreos1 wrote Just wondering out loud if it would be feasible to divert the 21's via the Arnison Centre, rather than straight through Pity Me.

Possibly and not a bad idea though I don't see GNE being keen on adding more journey time to the 21 as it is.

As a compromise I'd divert the X22 through the Arnison as I've suggested previously
(18 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm)andreos1 wrote Just wondering out loud if it would be feasible to divert the 21's via the Arnison Centre, rather than straight through Pity Me.

Arnison Centre is very unpredictable due to congestion etc...

Ive been to the Arnison Centre different times of the year, and half the time the roads around the Centre is gridlocked.

(18 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm)cbma06 wrote Arnison Centre is very unpredictable due to congestion etc...

Ive been to the Arnison Centre different times of the year, and half the time the roads around the Centre is gridlocked.

That was one of my concerns too, to be honest.
As a place to get to on bus - there are no issues from Durham, but from Chester etc, very poor, which is possibly why traffic can get so bad.
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(18 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm)cbma06 wrote Arnison Centre is very unpredictable due to congestion etc...

Agree with that. There's never any real issue for the congestion either.

I don't think there's a need to divert the 21 when it's a 10 min walk from Pity Me at most. There's two 50s an hour that'll take you either way the 21 is going.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions

To do that would you divert it the way the 50 goes at present?? Guess it could if you split the 21, have 2 an hour go the normal route and the other 2 an hour go the other way past the Fire Station, call it 21A...

Another idea...do GNE cover Newton Hall at all, been over 10 years since I lived in Fram and can't really remember the bus network around there....Was thinking, would it be feasible to re-route the 50 to go round Newton Hall housing estate...

That would open up connections to Chester-le-Street and Washington for Newton Hall and it would follow the 64 or whereever the hell Arriva goes round there
They won't split the 21, it was too confusing remember Big Grin

Does the Arnison justify increased use? I know you've NWL HQ up there but with Arriva and GNE serving an hourly X22 at peak would probably suffice
There used to be the Pink Panther Solo's around Newton Hall, but they ended up being shifted to Percy Main after a short while.

It seems strange that the place is so well connected with Durham City Centre and places beyond that - but very poorly connected to Chester.

Instead of the 21 or x22, how about extending the 34's from Waldridge Park and have them terminate at the Arnison Centre?
Doing it that way, people living in the Estates have the bus from the end of their street to either Chester or The Arnison centre (so they can do a big shop or a little shop)!
(18 Nov 2013, 1:23 pm)gtomlinson wrote Does the Sainsburys at AC Durham have a free shuttle bus?

Never seen or noticed one.

What I have noticed is that some buses just skirt the outside, whilst others call into the little bus station (bus stop) in between Sainsburys and whatever is in Marksies now.
(18 Nov 2013, 12:57 pm)andreos1 wrote There used to be the Pink Panther Solo's around Newton Hall, but they ended up being shifted to Percy Main after a short while.

It seems strange that the place is so well connected with Durham City Centre and places beyond that - but very poorly connected to Chester.

Instead of the 21 or x22, how about extending the 34's from Waldridge Park and have them terminate at the Arnison Centre?
Doing it that way, people living in the Estates have the bus from the end of their street to either Chester or The Arnison centre (so they can do a big shop or a little shop)!

The Pink Panther Solo's were used on short lived service D4 Durham-Arnison Centre in competion with Arriva 64 on that stretch:

GNE bought Northumbria Coaches.
Then GNE started bargain Bus with cheap fares between Blyth and Newcastle.
Arriva fought back with the 153 saltwell park to Gateshead
GNE put on the D4 in Durham and also the "Thirty" between Sunderland and Hartlepool.

But before everything got out of hand, Arriva and GNE shook hands with the Hexham and Ashington deals.

(18 Nov 2013, 1:31 pm)cbma06 wrote The Pink Panther Solo's were used on short lived service D4 Durham-Arnison Centre in competion with Arriva 64 on that stretch:

GNE bought Northumbria Coaches.
Then GNE started bargain Bus with cheap fares between Blyth and Newcastle.
Arriva fought back with the 153 saltwell park to Gateshead
GNE put on the D4 in Durham and also the "Thirty" between Sunderland and Hartlepool.

But before everything got out of hand, Arriva and GNE shook hands with the Hexham and Ashington deals.

And local butchers saw a downturn in meat sales... Big Grin

Another thought (haven't looked at PVR's at any point here - maybe an extra 2 vehicles) could be extending the 71 to the Arnison Centre via South Burns, North Approach, The Avenue and either go the way the 50 does or have it drop back down onto Durham Road and follow the 21 to Pity Me.
Scrap the 73 - On the 12:10pm Departure from The Galleries and there was only one Passenger on it.

So here is my Proposal

8 - Stanley - Beamish - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Harraton - Washington - Waterview Park - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Sunderland

Every 30 Minutes Replacing the 73 Between Waterview Park and Sunderland and would also Provide a Faster Xpress Route Between Washington and Sunderland.

23 - Washington Bus Station - Sainsbury's Car Park - Blackfell Knoulberry - Parsons Industrial Estate - Concord - Coach Road Estate - Donwell - Springwell Heugh Hill - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Birtley Crematorium - Lansbury Drive - Birtley - Barley Mow Estate

Every 1 Hour Replacing Service 73 Between Washington Galleries and Coach Road Estate and Provides a New Link for the OAP's who live on The Current Route to Concord.
(21 Nov 2013, 4:58 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote 23 - Washington Bus Station - Sainsbury's Car Park - Blackfell Knoulberry - Parsons Industrial Estate - Concord - Coach Road Estate - Donwell - Springwell Heugh Hill - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Birtley Crematorium - Lansbury Drive - Birtley - Barley Mow Estate

Every 1 Hour Replacing Service 73 Between Washington Galleries and Coach Road Estate and Provides a New Link for the OAP's who live on The Current Route to Concord.

Would this be run commercially Adam?

Not sure how well the OAP's in Birtley and Barley Mow would react to being reduced from half hourly to hourly
(21 Nov 2013, 5:23 pm)gtomlinson wrote Would this be run commercially Adam?

Not sure how well the OAP's in Birtley and Barley Mow would react to being reduced from half hourly to hourly

I thought it was an Hourly Service as the Timetable at Sainsbury's has it as Hourly, Well if it's Every 30 Minutes then it'll remain Every 30 Minutes to keep the OAP's Happy. And I would keep it under a Nexus Contract as it's mainly used by the OAP's Anyway, I can't see that many people paying a Single Fare to be Honest.
(21 Nov 2013, 5:41 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I thought it was an Hourly Service as the Timetable at Sainsbury's has it as Hourly, Well if it's Every 30 Minutes then it'll remain Every 30 Minutes to keep the OAP's Happy. And I would keep it under a Nexus Contract as it's mainly used by the OAP's Anyway, I can't see that many people paying a Single Fare to be Honest.

I think it's every 30 minutes from Birtley/Lansbury Drive to Barley Mow, with hourly journeys extending to Washington Smile