Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2017 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2017

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2017
(10 Dec 2017, 9:32 am)Michael wrote Do they have to be used on a service or can they be used as spares?

Couple more Angel Streetdecks spotted at Heysham, photos by Alistair

6317 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/nsf323alis...datetaken/

Unidentified: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nsf323alis...datetaken/

The unidentified Angel is 6316.

[Image: 38240711794_0e5beba991.jpg]Go North East: 6316 / NK67GMO by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
Site Administrator
(10 Dec 2017, 1:13 pm)Michael wrote Thanks

When will 5439 lose its Sunderland 2021 promotion?

It won't - it will just be modified slightly.
(10 Dec 2017, 12:08 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Will brand for crusader change?

The brand itself probably won't change, but I would expect the cant rail to change, hopefully into the new style.

Something like 'Into South Shields from Newcastle, Gateshead and Jarrow up to every 10 minutes' would do the job nicely I think.
(10 Dec 2017, 1:28 pm)Dan wrote It won't - it will just be modified slightly.

So promoting Sunderland.... honestly who wants to come and visit this dump.... haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Jamie M
Unregistered
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2017
yeah but who wants to visit Hull either?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
(10 Dec 2017, 4:55 pm)Michael wrote So promoting Sunderland.... honestly who wants to come and visit this dump.... haha
(10 Dec 2017, 5:03 pm)Jamie M wrote yeah but who wants to visit Hull either?

...Or Coventry for that matter Tongue
(10 Dec 2017, 5:03 pm)Jamie M wrote yeah but who wants to visit Hull either?

Or even Coventry? 

I have never had any desire to go there, and being the next City of Culture won't change that, especially having being to Hull this year and seen nothing but a couple of street acts and walked around the maritime museum which was free (along with other museums) for the year. Everything is just theatre performances which would happen anyway with a more 'cultural' theme than normal.
(10 Dec 2017, 5:18 pm)S813 FVK wrote Or even Coventry? 

I have never had any desire to go there, and being the next City of Culture won't change that, especially having being to Hull this year and seen nothing but a couple of street acts and walked around the maritime museum which was free (along with other museums) for the year. Everything is just theatre performances which would happen anyway with a more 'cultural' theme than normal.

I have been to the Coventry Transport Museum and it was quite good
(10 Dec 2017, 5:18 pm)S813 FVK wrote Or even Coventry? 

In return, the people of Hull had their city centre pretty much barricaded off in a cheerful shade of orange for a year while tasks as supposedly straightforward as laying new paving were continually cocked up.
(10 Dec 2017, 5:21 pm)BusLoverMum wrote In return, the people of Hull had their city centre pretty much barricaded off in a cheerful shade of orange for a year while tasks as supposedly straightforward as laying new paving were continually cocked up.

The psv circle must like hull. They are having their 2018 annual meeting there.

Charles
(10 Dec 2017, 11:00 am)Michael wrote Dan has confirmed on his photo of 5327 - which is at Blackburn Bus and Coach World, that 5326-5336 are for the 9, confirming, that the service will be every 20 minutes.

5325/5337/5338 as spares for Deptford, with 5324 going to Riverside? (4 spares each) 
---

He has also confirmed that the 13 Gemini's 2 from London will refurbished like this:

The entire batch will undergo exterior repaint, centre door conversion, fitment of an entrance door ramp, seats re-trimmed including extra padding, seat legs, hand grabs and hand poles repainted, buggy bay created, with free customer Wi-Fi and new white LED destination displays also fitted.

Mechanically, this entire batch of buses have been fitted with a new Ecolife campaigned gearbox.

Wonder if this confirms they'll go on the Toonlink services 6 and X70/X71?, allowing the Omnicities to just go on the X30/X31?

5234 - 5241 on the X30/X31 
5249, 5250 as spares. 

5253 moves from Stanley
What about 35 then ?
(10 Dec 2017, 7:03 pm)Citaro5326 wrote What about 35 then ?

Black Cat Scania's, as it looks like they'll be at Sunderland until 2019 due to them getting funding to become Euro 5... Although to make it fully branded, 1 more needs to be branded to make it 8, doubt that'll happen.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(10 Dec 2017, 7:08 pm)Michael wrote Black Cat Scania's, as it looks like they'll be at Sunderland until 2019 due to them getting funding to become Euro 5... Although to make it fully branded, 1 more needs to be branded to make it 8, doubt that'll happen.

The 88/88A has always had at least 1 unbranded bus on it as part of the PVR, so wouldn't be an issue if they're only keeping them for 18 months. I did hear that 4989 is due a repaint though and that this could be early next year. If it goes into the base tomato soup livery, then we might have our answer. 

I assume the 38 will use a corporate Citaro or L94, as I haven't seen this mentioned yet?
(10 Dec 2017, 7:08 pm)Michael wrote Black Cat Scania's, as it looks like they'll be at Sunderland until 2019 due to them getting funding to become Euro 5... Although to make it fully branded, 1 more needs to be branded to make it 8, doubt that'll happen.

So 5305-5309 are off to 26/27
(10 Dec 2017, 7:19 pm)missedbus wrote The 88/88A has always had at least 1 unbranded bus on it as part of the PVR, so wouldn't be an issue if they're only keeping them for 18 months. I did hear that 4989 is due a repaint though and that this could be early next year. If it goes into the base tomato soup livery, then we might have our answer. 

I assume the 38 will use a corporate Citaro or L94, as I haven't seen this mentioned yet?

I forgot about the 38, not sure

(10 Dec 2017, 7:32 pm)Citaro5326 wrote So 5305-5309 are off to 26/27

Looks like it, as the PVR looks to be going by 5.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
X10  from Middlesbrough at 06:15 not operating due to mechanical issues.
The 07:15 from Middlesbrough did not operate on Saturday.
According to a customer post on Facebook the  05:45 X9 from Gateshead has broken down on the A19. Now confirmed by Go North East the 07:05 from Middlesbrough will not operate due to earlier breakdown.
£1.6 million spent on X9/X10 vehicles plus a  rebrand and the same old problems as they had with the Tyne Tees Xpress.
Jamie M
Unregistered
The one I was on before rattled a lot, too. It's a nice premium feel inside, and a step forward - but not a big enough step. These buses came in half-a-job, and it feels to be their potential, too. Hopefully something can be done mechanically to prevent this investment's purpose. It'd be a real shame to see what is basically the only comfy conventional bus ride not being able to succeed in its primary transportational purpose.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
It is entirely comprehensible that the two breakdowns this morning were nothing to do with how suitable the B5s are for the TTX, and is potentially just a case of serious bad luck on Go North East's part. I haven't been in the North East since their launch, so I don't really know if breakdowns are all too frequent, however I've not seen too many posts on here that indicate they are?
(11 Dec 2017, 7:53 am)GuyParkRoyal wrote X10  from Middlesbrough at 06:15 not operating due to mechanical issues.
The 07:15 from Middlesbrough did not operate on Saturday.
According to a customer post on Facebook the  05:45 X9 from Gateshead has broken down on the A19. Now confirmed by Go North East the 07:05 from Middlesbrough will not operate due to earlier breakdown.
£1.6 million spent on X9/X10 vehicles plus a  rebrand and the same old problems as they had with the Tyne Tees Xpress.

I saw a stack of X9/X10's this morning on the A19. All but one of the several I saw, were operated by spares. 
Saw a 10 branded Gemini NIS and stuck in traffic. Guessing sent to pick up a board somewhere.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Dec 2017, 12:43 pm)Andreos1 wrote I saw a stack of X9/X10's this morning on the A19. All but one of the several I saw, were operated by spares. 
Saw a 10 branded Gemini NIS and stuck in traffic. Guessing sent to pick up a board somewhere.

The Volvo's in my opinion aren't suitable for the nature of the work. They are made for city routes not constant speed up the A19. The X9/10 is an express service not bus. It seems shortsighted not to invest in what's best for the route. Double deck coaches may cost more but will last longer.
(11 Dec 2017, 1:58 pm)Coastliner700 wrote The Volvo's in my opinion aren't suitable for the nature of the work. They are made for city routes not constant speed up the A19. The X9/10 is an express service not bus. It seems shortsighted not to invest in what's best for the route. Double deck coaches may cost more but will last longer.

That last line sums up how many (but maybe not the decision makers) feel about the service.
We have no idea what was up with the vehicles, but spares regularly being allocated, can't do the brand or route any good at all.

I've mentioned Northern services in the past and how the increase in frequency with the new timetables and again when the Connect service is launched, could have a detrimental effect on the X9/10.
It will be interesting to see where the numbers on the trains will come from and how theyre going to grow the loads needed to make it work. New travellers or those transferring from car or bus? I can't see the market being that big, not big enough to see sustained growth anyway.
(11 Dec 2017, 4:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote That last line sums up how many (but maybe not the decision makers) feel about the service.
We have no idea what was up with the vehicles, but spares regularly being allocated, can't do the brand or route any good at all.

I've mentioned Northern services in the past and how the increase in frequency with the new timetables and again when the Connect service is launched, could have a detrimental effect on the X9/10.
It will be interesting to see where the numbers on the trains will come from and how theyre going to grow the loads needed to make it work. New travellers or those transferring from car or bus? I can't see the market being that big, not big enough to see sustained growth anyway.

I do wonder how the service could be if it was ran with premium coaches, as it probably should be. No matter how much you jazz up what is, at the end of the day, a pretty run of the mill double decker, a coach will always me more appealing to the sort of customer it seems GNE are targeting with the TTX.
(11 Dec 2017, 4:54 pm)mb134 wrote I do wonder how the service could be if it was ran with premium coaches, as it probably should be. No matter how much you jazz up what is, at the end of the day, a pretty run of the mill double decker, a coach will always me more appealing to the sort of customer it seems GNE are targeting with the TTX.

Exactly the same as Northern are doing.
Which one will punters go for? The tarted up bus or the tarted up train?
That coach you mention, could have swung it.
(11 Dec 2017, 6:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote Exactly the same as Northern are doing.
Which one will punters go for? The tarted up bus or the tarted up train?
That coach you mention, could have swung it.

I mentioned it at the time, but I think it's relevant again here. The rear 'advert', giving potential customers the image of a man standing up from Middlesbrough to Newcastle doesn't give the best impression. However, a rear advert of a man/woman sitting down on coach seating with a laptop, I'd argue gives an image of productivity and 'business-class' travel (or as business class as travelling from Middlesbrough to Newcastle can be). Again, this would surely be more appealing than a clapped out train.
(11 Dec 2017, 6:23 pm)mb134 wrote I mentioned it at the time, but I think it's relevant again here. The rear 'advert', giving potential customers the image of a man standing up from Middlesbrough to Newcastle doesn't give the best impression. However, a rear advert of a man/woman sitting down on coach seating with a laptop, I'd argue gives an image of productivity and 'business-class' travel (or as business class as travelling from Middlesbrough to Newcastle can be). Again, this would surely be more appealing than a clapped out train.

I saw the rear adverts on those B5's a few times whilst waiting for other buses in Middlesbrough Bus Station on Friday and something I noticed was the faces of the people who are having to stand, they don't look particularly happy,  wouldn't say miserable, more a sort of neutral facial expression, whenever you see most adverts, the people in these adverts are usually happy, say a advert for a shopping centre shows something like two women wandering around the shopping centre with bags and great big happy smiles on their faces, you wouldn't show them with cheesed off looking faces as that would not give it a good impression of the place you are trying to promote.
(11 Dec 2017, 6:23 pm)mb134 wrote I mentioned it at the time, but I think it's relevant again here. The rear 'advert', giving potential customers the image of a man standing up from Middlesbrough to Newcastle doesn't give the best impression. However, a rear advert of a man/woman sitting down on coach seating with a laptop, I'd argue gives an image of productivity and 'business-class' travel (or as business class as travelling from Middlesbrough to Newcastle can be). Again, this would surely be more appealing than a clapped out train.

Yeah, I don't get those pictures/images either.
There must have been some justification in using an image like that, but I am not sure what positive message it puts across.

To me, it gives off connotations of a crowded bus.
It doesn't 'sell' the service, the features or the benefits.

The images attached are two that XC have used.
I am getting all sorts of ideas and connotations from those images. All of them are related to how I can use my time productively, in a comfy environment.
We know that the reality may be different - but to attract infrequent or new passengers, I am seeing a lot more positives in the XC pictures, over GNE's X9/10 imagery.
.png wp_ss_20171211_0002 (2).png
.png wp_ss_20171211_0001 (2).png
GNE if they don't want to subsidise Mr Souter should look at the BCI Excellence once they become more proven (no I don't work for EnsignBus by the way hehe)! All deckers come with a 6.7L Cummins / ZF as standard and they even have a nice 'Gardner' sound to them!

Few videos doing the rounds on Youtube and they seem capable enough.
(11 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm)L469 YVK wrote GNE if they don't want to subsidise Mr Souter should look at the BCI Excellence once they become more proven (no I don't work for EnsignBus by the way hehe)! All deckers come with a 6.7L Cummins / ZF as standard and they even have a nice 'Gardner' sound to them!

Few videos doing the rounds on Youtube and they seem capable enough.

Do you know what ADL are offering in the Enviro 500 now? Sure it used to be the 10.8L Cummins ISMe (though I can't find any literature that confirms), but I'm not sure whether that's been changed recently.

(11 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, I don't get those pictures/images either.
There must have been some justification in using an image like that, but I am not sure what positive message it puts across.

To me, it gives off connotations of a crowded bus.
It doesn't 'sell' the service, the features or the benefits.

The images attached are two that XC have used.
I am getting all sorts of ideas and connotations from those images. All of them are related to how I can use my time productively, in a comfy environment.
We know that the reality may be different - but to attract infrequent or new passengers, I am seeing a lot more positives in the XC pictures, over GNE's X9/10 imagery.

Then compare it to this:

[Image: 37098375230_b6d8766863_n.jpg]Go North East: 6313 / NK67EBG by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Standing up for an hour and a half, unable to do anything productive with your time. 

Slightly baffling as to why the tables wouldn't be used as a major selling point to the type of clientele GNE seemed to be aiming at with the images. Slap a picture of 4 people having a meeting on there, and I'd argue it's already a better job than 6 people standing up.
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2017
Unfortunately due to a vehicle issue, the 28 from Eldon Square at 07:43 will not operate. Apologies for the delay to your journey today.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.