You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

Go North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020
(28 Mar 2020, 12:59 pm)missedbus wrote It isn't foolproof, but it's proving useful today! 5299 has just been taken off at Hexham, 676 replacing it. All of Hexham's Citaros are now off and replaced by the X-lines Solos from Deptford.

So does the X84 not have NSAs currently due to being operated with X-lines Solos? The X85 is only running between Hexham and Newbrough for now, with the emergency timetables.
Site Administrator
(28 Mar 2020, 1:59 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote So does the X84 not have NSAs currently due to being operated with X-lines Solos? The X85 is only running between Hexham and Newbrough for now, with the emergency timetables.

The X-lines Solos have Next Stop Announcements. They offer the same features as the normal Mercedes Citaro.

Services 185/681 and 74 are to be converted to Mercedes Sprinter operation in the coming days too.
(28 Mar 2020, 1:42 pm)Storx wrote I was talking more about from a perspective of a finanical point of view.

I do understand what your saying there but the pre-DB Arriva was a hell of a lot worse than the Arriva we have now, this is just a small number of things:
  • East Lancs Citizens on Blyth Expresses which you couldn't sit in certain seats as they used to be wet from windows leaking.
  • Ikarus' on the Blyth Expresses which used to have tape on the windows to force them to shut or it was freezing.
  • Varios (even known they did have character).
  • Metroriders, which often ended up on flagship routes which we're battered.
  • P reg Olympians running Ashington Expresses.
  • M reg Olympians running Berwick Expresses.
  • N reg Prismas often running to Whitby / Scarborough.
  • The ever so reliable Prestige fleet.
  • Buses which still had interiors pre dating Arriva (1999) - some on flagship routes.
From Northumbria's point of view I don't really the issues that people say, okay the darts and solos maybe need replacing but anything else would be just a waste of money as there's nothing wrong with them.

Arguably around here Stagecoach has the oldest fleet and are by far are the least innovate especially considering the routes they have in comparison to half of Arriva and GNE's routes which compete against the Metro or are rural routes.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'd take the majority of that fleet over the stuff we see these days.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(28 Mar 2020, 2:00 pm)Dan wrote The X-lines Solos have Next Stop Announcements. They offer the same features as the normal Mercedes Citaro.

Services 185/681 and 74 are to be converted to Mercedes Sprinter operation in the coming days too.

Are the NSAs exactly the same? Thanks for confirming that.

Why can't the 74 continue with the usual allocation of a Solo? Such a shame all these rare and odd workings when people should be staying in, and in particular staying away from public transport as much as possible. Does the 74 not have any working announcements? I expected announcements on the service when Citaros were recently allocated.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Are the NSAs exactly the same? Thanks for confirming that.

Why can't the 74 continue with the usual allocation of a Solo? Such a shame all these rare and odd workings when people should be staying in, and in particular staying away from public transport as much as possible. Does the 74 not have any working announcements? I expected announcements on the service when Citaros were recently allocated.

Maybe the 74 isn't getting enough passengers to be allocated a Solo?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Mar 2020, 1:42 pm)Storx wrote I was talking more about from a perspective of a finanical point of view.

I do understand what your saying there but the pre-DB Arriva was a hell of a lot worse than the Arriva we have now, this is just a small number of things:
  • East Lancs Citizens on Blyth Expresses which you couldn't sit in certain seats as they used to be wet from windows leaking.
  • Ikarus' on the Blyth Expresses which used to have tape on the windows to force them to shut or it was freezing.
  • Varios (even known they did have character).
  • Metroriders, which often ended up on flagship routes which we're battered.
  • P reg Olympians running Ashington Expresses.
  • M reg Olympians running Berwick Expresses.
  • N reg Prismas often running to Whitby / Scarborough.
  • The ever so reliable Prestige fleet.
  • Buses which still had interiors pre dating Arriva (1999) - some on flagship routes.
From Northumbria's point of view I don't really the issues that people say, okay the darts and solos maybe need replacing but anything else would be just a waste of money as there's nothing wrong with them.

Arguably around here Stagecoach has the oldest fleet and are by far are the least innovate especially considering the routes they have in comparison to half of Arriva and GNE's routes which compete against the Metro or are rural routes.
P and M reg Olympians? They were brilliant motors. The D10-245 engined examples (ANE 7410-20 & GNE 3811-33 could handle anything. Only route they they struggled on later in their lives was the summer X60. GNE's examples just before their retirement would happily climb up the hills on the X70/X71.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:16 pm)Michael wrote Maybe the 74 isn't getting enough passengers to be allocated a Solo?

I thought a Sprinter and Solo were a similar capacity. Maybe it will get more passengers being a rare and odd working?
(28 Mar 2020, 2:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I thought a Sprinter and Solo were a similar capacity. Maybe it will get more passengers being a rare and odd working?

I hope not, people should be staying away from buses unless they're keyworkers!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:25 pm)Michael wrote I hope not, people should be staying away from buses unless they're keyworkers!

I am well aware of that and made that point above! I don't agree with the idea, and don't think all these rare and odd workings are really a good idea for now. Some people will be getting pictures and videos, while others may like to give them a try while they have the chance. Hopefully I'm wrong though and people very sensibly only go out for essential reasons, and maybe capture some rare photos and videos while out exercising, shopping for basics etc.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:19 pm)L469 YVK wrote P and M reg Olympians? They were brilliant motors. The D10-245 engined examples (ANE 7410-20 & GNE 3811-33 could handle anything. Only route they they struggled on later in their lives was the summer X60. GNE's examples just before their retirement would happily climb up the hills on the X70/X71.

Oh I can't disagree with that but a normal fare passenger wouldn't agree. Bench seating, high floor (OAP's and buggies), dark and quite dingey inside really - not to mention they were never refurbished since new. Plus they looked old design wise compared to say something 15 year old now especially since the Enviro and anything Wright haven't really changed their designs massively since about 2002 / 2006.

Shame you can't get buses like them nowadays rather than the crap (in comparison) produced now.
(28 Mar 2020, 2:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I thought a Sprinter and Solo were a similar capacity. Maybe it will get more passengers being a rare and odd working?
Nobody should be using a bus just because they fancy riding on a particular bus, right now.
Well, when I was out walking the dog close to my home, I seen a pool van wating for a driver changeover on the 309 in New York.

I think I then seen the same van heading through Cobalt whereas normally the driver coming off the 309 would normally head back down Norham Rd.

Is Percy Main depot definitely closed with drivers driving from Riverside Depot to New York (or Verne Road for 310) to change drivers or is Percy Main still open for the timebeing but the driver was taking the back route via High Flatworh or Silverlink & A19 to maybe avoid any Tesco traffic on Norham Road?

Would it not make sense to change drivers at Haymarket?
(28 Mar 2020, 5:16 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Nobody should be using a bus just because they fancy riding on a particular bus, right now.

I know, but people might do because right now just might be the only chance. If a passenger doesn't use many services they will likely only use a small number of vehicle types , and never experience a particular type. I'm usually on a Solo or a Citaro for the most part, only when venturing a bit further I get a number of different vehicle types. Occasionally I travel on a Versa or Enviro200 MMC. It would be great if Go North East could do this in better circumstances!
(28 Mar 2020, 5:26 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I know, but people might do because right now just might be the only chance. If a passenger doesn't use many services they will likely only use a small number of vehicle types , and never experience a particular type. I'm usually on a Solo or a Citaro for the most part, only when venturing a bit further I get a number of different vehicle types. Occasionally I travel on a Versa or Enviro200 MMC. It would be great if Go North East could do this in better circumstances!

I think the only bus type in the fleet I haven't been on is the MetroDecker, and that's only because it's always bloody broken when I'm out and about!

On an average (pre-corona) day I'd usually travel on a StreetDeck, Streetlite, E400 and an E200. While the journey could easily be completed on only a StreetDeck and E400, or StreetDeck and Streetlite (depending on what route I take), I usually take the 'scenic' route. 

Maybe I'm lucky in that when I'm staying up in Gateshead, within a few minutes travel I can catch a Streetlite, StreetDeck, E200MMC, E400MMC, B5, B5H, B9, Omnicity, Citaro, Versa, and an L94. The only things for me that are 'difficult' to get to are Solos and OmniDekkas and B7s, but even then it's not that hard. IIRC, the Sprinters only run on services us 'normal' people can catch on weekends, so they're particularly difficult.

Down in Bishop however, it seems my only choice is a StreetDeck, or whatever else they use when one is inevitably broken!
(28 Mar 2020, 5:24 pm)Dans_bus_photos wrote With all of Washington's routes transferring to Deptford, has all of Percy Main's and Chester's routes transferred to Riverside? With the exception of the 8/78

Believe so yes, 8/78 being operated out of Deptford.
Site Administrator
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020
(28 Mar 2020, 2:41 pm)Jordan2104 wrote Is the hospital shuttles still running? Just with sprinters being relocated

Yes, but with 49 branded Streetlites (increased number of passengers now using the hospital staff shuttles, for obvious reasons, and we’re keen to allow them to social distance!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(28 Mar 2020, 7:40 pm)deanmachine wrote Believe so yes, 8/78 being operated out of Deptford.

Wonder if we will see any odd workings on the 8 and 78.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Mar 2020, 1:02 pm)Michael wrote Dan has kindly shared this on Twitter:

Dan Graham
@Dan3942
422 buses are in the process of being parked up, delicensed and put into temporary 'hibernation' - only the most fuel-efficient and reliable buses have been selected to run the reduced #COVID19 schedules. Huge logistical exercise:  colleagues are undertaking final movements today

Have 705, 709, 5219 & 5223 already been withdrawn before this?
(28 Mar 2020, 11:50 pm)Michael wrote Wonder if we will see any odd workings on the 8 and 78.

Possibly, but there's a load of Coast & Country Streetlites at Deptford.
It's a fact. There will be lots of rare and unusual workings right across all areas. But then are these not to be normal workings in line with the operators requirements? And then, unless it's by way of complying with the guidelines, should we be there to see them?:Tough times, we all gotta fight this together.
Site Administrator
(29 Mar 2020, 12:14 am)Wybus wrote Have 705, 709, 5219 & 5223 already been withdrawn before this?

Yes, last Sunday.

(29 Mar 2020, 6:28 am)deanmachine wrote Possibly, but there's a load of Coast & Country Streetlites at Deptford.
The 28 & 34 seemed to be Coast and Country streetlites as well at least yesterday (from bustimes.org)

The 26/27 looks to be Angels as is the 14, the 1A cobalt and coasts, the 12 is also green arrows, the 10/10A is X9/X10 streetdecks including Hexham journeys, the 50 looks to be indigo solos.
Site Administrator
(29 Mar 2020, 11:03 am)Wybus wrote The 28 & 34 seemed to be Coast and Country streetlites as well at least yesterday (from bustimes.org)

The 26/27 looks to be Angels as is the 14, the 1A cobalt and coasts, the 12 is also green arrows, the 10/10A is X9/X10 streetdecks including Hexham journeys, the 50 looks to be indigo solos.

50 should be Prince Bishop Streetlite.

All 10 being operated from Riverside.

Site Administrator
(29 Mar 2020, 1:00 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I thought they were only using reliable buses, going from the Twitter feed there seems to be just as many breakdowns as normal!

Give things time to settle down...

(29 Mar 2020, 2:16 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Highly likely. There was a PB streetlite on the 50, yesterday.
Solo's allocated to 50 and 5 today, however 6049 appears to be running on one of the 5 boards according to the app