You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - Recent Repaints

Go North East - Recent Repaints

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints
(26 Jun 2020, 9:29 am)Dan wrote Not sure it’s fair to accuse Go North East of that though, when they were one of the first bus companies to adopt a “pride bus” (in the form of Quaylink Versa 8335) and later adopted another one too so both cities had one (Mercedes Citaro 5292).

They appear every year at both Sunderland and Newcastle pride events, provide sponsorship, and even have a partnership with the Pride FM radio station. Their efforts wouldn’t go as far as that, if it was just political or for ‘fluffy marketing’.

This bus is multi-purpose, yes, in that it’s a nod back to the original bus back in the 80s, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(26 Jun 2020, 9:54 am)James101 wrote Can't agree here. I think 6050 is clever on many levels as it references many currently relevant causes without overtly being dedicated to any one of them. 

Dan referenced the official campaign 6050 is representing is internal colleague initiative 'One Team GNE'. It's poignant that the rainbow livery ties in with the symbol of gratitude for key workers during a national emergency AND support for the LBGTQ+ community, particularly relevant in the month of June. The wording on the livery commits to neither or could be interpreted to support both causes. 

In reference to the Forbes article linked to, it's a bit of a paradox for some members of the LGBTQ+ community to be promoting their rainbow symbol to by one of diversity and inclusiveness whilst simultaneously demanding it's specifically theirs and cannot be shared. If we're going to start arguing the toss over how different types of rainbow have different meanings then it's worth remembering 6050's livery is a recreation of one 35 years ago so are we saying those seven colours applied in diagonal fashion specifically represent support for the deregulation of bus services in the 80s? No, because that's ridiculous.

It's a sensitive issue and I think GNE have thought through 6050's representation very well.

I'll reply to these together as it's a similar response. It's more about timing here that could cause offence, it's been a problem with a lot of companies who have blatently designed stuff for pride and then just diverted it last second to mean something else totally. Morrisons is a prime example of this, they uploaded a rainbow flag for their logo on the 1st June and suddenly 5 days later it's for key workers... strange co-incidence. No doubt next year they'll be back on the bandwagon though and it's boring. If this was released in August then it wouldn't have a problem, I don't mind the NHS using the rainbow flag etc as it's not my thing to critise that and it wasn't June, it's just the fact it was released in the middle of June. Whether this actually was originally for pride or not I'll never know though I guess but it's the above example why I've said it and there's been a few who have just forgot about it altogether, PaddyPower for example.

I genuinely didn't realise you sponsored stuff though, you should promote it more tbh - then it get's you out of the likes of companies above and you actually earn respect for supporting Pride rather than being a marketing gimmick.

(26 Jun 2020, 10:00 am)V514DFT wrote I dont get how a livery can cause such offence,its ridiculous tbh,atleast GNE give some variety in regards to liverys rather than it just be corporate boringness

Rainbow things are about as corporate you can get in the majority of cases. (this isn't aimed at GNE as it's not them). Lot's of companies think by painting something rainbow and calling it something pride related they're fully diverse etc but it's just totally a gimmick for marketing and policitical reasons and it's boring as hell. The fact some have diverted it and ignored the reason why they've done it this year just sums them up.
RE: Recent Repaints
(26 Jun 2020, 10:12 am)JP6004 wrote The rainbow is the property of no one. However the rainbow flag is internationally recognised as the symbol for LGBT.
I dont think anyone holds issue with the fact that the rainbow livery supports multiple causes - LGBT, key workers etc, its the press release that does not even acknowledge the main symbolism of the the rainbow - especially during Pride Month

Not sure how the rainbow can be 'property of no one' and also have a 'main symbolism'? I agree the rainbow flag (rectangular, horizontal lines) is generally recognised as an LGBTQ+ symbol. 6050, in its 1980s deregulation style livery, is not specifically this symbol, though the reference through association is commendable.
(26 Jun 2020, 10:22 am)Storx wrote I'll reply to these together as it's a similar response. It's more about timing here that could cause offence, it's been a problem with a lot of companies who have blatently designed stuff for pride and then just diverted it last second to mean something else totally. Morrisons is a prime example of this, they uploaded a rainbow flag for their logo on the 1st June and suddenly 5 days later it's for key workers... strange co-incidence. No doubt next year they'll be back on the bandwagon though and it's boring. If this was released in August then it wouldn't have a problem, I don't mind the NHS using the rainbow flag etc as it's not my thing to critise that and it wasn't June, it's just the fact it was released in the middle of June. Whether this actually was originally for pride or not I'll never know though I guess but it's the above example why I've said it and there's been a few who have just forgot about it altogether, PaddyPower for example.

I genuinely didn't realise you sponsored stuff though, you should promote it more tbh - then it get's you out of the likes of companies above and you actually earn respect for supporting Pride rather than being a marketing gimmick.

Rainbow things are about as corporate you can get in the majority of cases. (this isn't aimed at GNE as it's not them). Lot's of companies think by painting something rainbow and calling it something pride related they're fully diverse etc but it's just totally a gimmick for marketing and policitical reasons and it's boring as hell. The fact some have diverted it and ignored the reason why they've done it this year just sums them up.

Exactly, like I said in my post over in the politics thread, companies aren't doing all this out of the goodness of their heart, they're doing it for publicity!
Companies aren't there to make you 'feel' included, they're there to take your money. Pure and simple. If that involves them manipulating you into thinking they care through the use of multi-colour buses then that's exactly what they'll do! 

I'm in no doubt that the people at GNE care, but companies don't have a heart, they have a bank account, and all they care about is filling it up.
(26 Jun 2020, 10:26 am)James101 wrote Not sure how the rainbow can be 'property of no one' and also have a 'main symbolism'? I agree the rainbow flag (rectangular, horizontal lines) is generally recognised as an LGBTQ+ symbol. 6050, in its 1980s deregulation style livery, is not specifically this symbol, though the reference through association is commendable.
Symbolism isnt ownership. The rainbow flag, regardless of how its applied is still a rainbow flag and the interpretation of it is the same......no matter how much the press release tries to dilute it
(26 Jun 2020, 10:27 am)streetdeckfan wrote Exactly, like I said in my post over in the politics thread, companies aren't doing all this out of the goodness of their heart, they're doing it for publicity!
Companies aren't there to make you 'feel' included, they're there to take your money. Pure and simple. If that involves them manipulating you into thinking they care through the use of multi-colour buses then that's exactly what they'll do! 

I'm in no doubt that the people at GNE care, but companies don't have a heart, they have a bank account, and all they care about is filling it up.

Companies are inanimate entities, operated by people. People with opinions, beliefs, capacity for compassion and empathy. These will inevitably play out in the company operations, for better or worse.
(26 Jun 2020, 10:37 am)James101 wrote Companies are inanimate entities, operated by people. People with opinions, beliefs, capacity for compassion and empathy. These will inevitably play out in the company operations, for better or worse.

Then they should do it personally, not for the profit of a company.
(26 Jun 2020, 10:56 am)JP6004 wrote GNE new pride bus  Big Grin

To me, nothing says 'Pride in transport' than a well kept, clean and tidy bus. So in that regard, they would fit the bill better than the rainbow B9
(26 Jun 2020, 11:11 am)LeeCalder wrote I'm led to believe they are going to Hodgson's, Barnard Castle

That's good, least they're staying up here.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(26 Jun 2020, 10:32 am)JP6004 wrote Symbolism isnt ownership. The rainbow flag, regardless of how its applied is still a rainbow flag and the interpretation of it is the same......no matter how much the press release tries to dilute it

I’d still say flag application is pretty important. If we were to start saying all things red, white & blue are American then Great Britain, France and Thailand (amongst others) will probably want to have a word.
(26 Jun 2020, 12:57 pm)James101 wrote I’d still say flag application is pretty important. If we were to start saying all things red, white & blue are American then Great Britain, France and Thailand (amongst others) will probably want to have a word.
Rainbow flag isnt a country. However if you go down that route, the flags are easily distinguishable between each other, whether it is hung horizontally, diagonally or vertically is irrelevant
(26 Jun 2020, 1:23 pm)Rapidsnap wrote For christ sake, I cannot believe there's arguement over 6050. You know what Dan, in future to save everyone arguing, just paint everything battleship grey or something.

People would be complaining if GNE didn't have any pride etc buses, they would probables say "GNE aren't accepting the LGBT community" now they have, people are moaning, ya can't win!

Btw, i'm a massive supporter of the LGTB community before anyone says i'm not..........

I'd agree on Battleship Grey!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(26 Jun 2020, 1:23 pm)Rapidsnap wrote For christ sake, I cannot believe there's arguement over 6050. You know what Dan, in future to save everyone arguing, just paint everything battleship grey or something.

The arguments aren't over 6050, they're over the concept of the rainbow. Completely different!

And I for one would be down for battleship grey buses! Make it happen!
(26 Jun 2020, 1:25 pm)Michael wrote People would be complaining if GNE didn't have any pride etc buses, they would probables say "GNE aren't accepting the LGBT community" now they have, people are moaning, ya can't win!

The issue is that the 'extreme' (I'm using that word very loosely) LGBT community members are making people believe that if they don't openly say that they support pride then they obviously are homophobic, when in reality, a lot of people honestly don't care and would rather distance themselves from the large political mess everything has become recently!
(26 Jun 2020, 1:41 pm)streetdeckfan wrote The issue is that the 'extreme' (I'm using that word very loosely) LGBT community members are making people believe that if they don't openly say that they support pride then they obviously are homophobic, when in reality, a lot of people honestly don't care and would rather distance themselves from the large political mess everything has become recently!

Exactly, i'm all for pride, supporting the community but once you say something "wrong", you're classed as Homophobic etc... which alot of people isn't - and these days you can't have any of your own opinions - because you're always wrong.............. #brexit
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(26 Jun 2020, 1:25 pm)Michael wrote People would be complaining if GNE didn't have any pride etc buses, they would probables say "GNE aren't accepting the LGBT community" now they have, people are moaning, ya can't win!

Btw, i'm a massive supporter of the LGTB community before anyone says i'm not..........

I'd agree on Battleship Grey!
Really? Its upto the company whether they have one or not, doesn't bother me either way. It's when they take an LGBT symbol and then only mention Covid19 and One Team GNE in the press release. For a multi purpose bus, again is fine, to leave out the main symbolism of the rainbow is a slap in the face. What is more irritating is that this helping dilute the symbolic meaning of the rainbow flag
(26 Jun 2020, 1:47 pm)Michael wrote Exactly, i'm all for pride, supporting the community but once you say something "wrong", you're classed as Homophobic etc... which alot of people isn't - and these days you can't have any of your own opinions - because you're always wrong.............. #brexit
Exactly. A friend of mine has lost a lot of 'friends' on Facebook recently for posting comments about the protests, because she didn't support the lootings or ripping down statues she was branded a racist.

And on your point abour Brexit, how on earth does wanting more control over borders equate to racism? We don't want to stop people coming in, we want only let people in who add value to the country, like pretty much every other country does!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
(26 Jun 2020, 1:50 pm)JP6004 wrote Really? Its upto the company whether they have one or not, doesn't bother me either way. It's when they take an LGBT symbol and then only mention Covid19 and One Team GNE in the press release. For a multi purpose bus, again is fine, to leave out the main symbolism of the rainbow is a slap in the face. What is more irritating is that this helping dilute the symbolic meaning of the rainbow flag

If anything i would have 1 at each "main depot" Tongue.

It is a slap in the face, which GNE should know about, do someone should email them about it... Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(26 Jun 2020, 1:57 pm)Michael wrote If anything i would have 1 at each "main depot" Tongue.

It is a slap in the face, which GNE should know about, do someone should email them about it... Tongue
Would be nice and appreciated, however dont think its that necessary.

The question has already been asked.... Undecided
Anywho! Back on to the livery itself.
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but looks like the colours they used are the same that they already have out on vehicles to make touch ups easier.
Was it just a fluke that they already had basically the same colours now as they used back then?
(26 Jun 2020, 2:15 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Anywho! Back on to the livery itself.
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but looks like the colours they used are the same that they already have out on vehicles to make touch ups easier.
Was it just a fluke that they already had basically the same colours now as they used back then?
Yea Dan said on twitter that they use existing colours. I'd hate to be the one prepping just in case the lines were wonky  Big Grin
(26 Jun 2020, 10:22 am)Storx wrote Rainbow things are about as corporate you can get in the majority of cases. (this isn't aimed at GNE as it's not them). Lot's of companies think by painting something rainbow and calling it something pride related they're fully diverse etc but it's just totally a gimmick for marketing and policitical reasons and it's boring as hell. The fact some have diverted it and ignored the reason why they've done it this year just sums them up.

That is a bit of a sweeping statement to make. Lots of companies tend to do something for several Internationally or Nationally recognised days and weeks, including pride, so its a bit unfair to state its 'totally a gimmick' and for 'marketing and political reasons'. Of course, it is important that their actions speak as loud as their words.

As well as promoting awareness, I'm not sure how you would know that these companies are not constantly evolving strategies internally and how they operate as an employer? Diversity in the workplace has evolved massively over even my working life, and whilst we're no where near there yet, big change has happened so far through awareness. 

(26 Jun 2020, 11:11 am)LeeCalder wrote I'm led to believe they are going to Hodgson's, Barnard Castle

For the new optician services? Wink
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(26 Jun 2020, 2:20 pm)JP6004 wrote Yea Dan said on twitter that they use existing colours. I'd hate to be the one prepping just in case the lines were wonky  Big Grin

Since you brought that up... the person on masking duty must have been having an off day! Although there's the same 'issue' on the X-Lines Streetdecks and the Angel that had the back repainted.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9429]
.png Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 15.25.38.png
(26 Jun 2020, 1:47 pm)Michael wrote Exactly, i'm all for pride, supporting the community but once you say something "wrong", you're classed as Homophobic etc... which alot of people isn't - and these days you can't have any of your own opinions - because you're always wrong.............. #brexit

For me it's something different personally and it's all about companies that make a big deal out of it like they're passionate and it's just a big political stunt which they even profiteer off in some cases but this year they've diverted it towards the NHS using the actual pride rainbow (GNE doesn't for reference here). Just to name a few:
  • M&S (Profittered last year with those weird sandwiches, now profiteering using NHS by donating 10% - Ethical my arse - uses 6 pride rainbow)
  • ASDA (Profittered with Gnomes)
  • Morrisons (It's for key workers, no mention of pride until later, uses 6 pride flag)
  • Iceland (NHS promotion, using 6 pride flag)
That's just supermarkets.

For those arguing over the rainbow flag:
The NHS flag / rainbow colours are: Red / Orange / Yellow / Green / Blue / Indigo / Violet <-- GNE uses this to be fair.
The Pride flag is: Red / Orange / Yellow / Green / Indigo / Violet

Anyone using the 2nd flag as their branding and mentioning Covid-19 / NHS or whatever else has blatently diverted their pride stuff to a cause with a 'bigger audience' and it's purely marketing especially if it involves profits.

The GNE one imo is just bad timing.

Adrian wroteThat is a bit of a sweeping statement to make. Lots of companies tend to do something for several Internationally or Nationally recognised days and weeks, including pride, so its a bit unfair to state its 'totally a gimmick' and for 'marketing and political reasons'. Of course, it is important that their actions speak as loud as their words.

As well as promoting awareness, I'm not sure how you would know that these companies are not constantly evolving strategies internally and how they operate as an employer? Diversity in the workplace has evolved massively over even my working life, and whilst we're no where near there yet, big change has happened so far through awareness.

The ones above are the ones I'm talking about, purely a profiteering stunt and a real lack of interest in it. That's not every company don't worry - I know that.
(26 Jun 2020, 2:28 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Since you brought that up... the person on masking duty must have been having an off day! Although there's the same 'issue' on the X-Lines Streetdecks and the Angel that had the back repainted.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=9429]
Looks like the shape of the panel, from the side it will probs look straight.....just the angle
(26 Jun 2020, 2:30 pm)JP6004 wrote Looks like the shape of the panel, from the side it will probs look straight.....just the angle

Sergeant Angle?

You caught that swan yet? Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(26 Jun 2020, 2:37 pm)Michael wrote Sergeant Angle?

You caught that swan yet? Tongue
Angles are everything  Wink