You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Stagecoach North East: Service Suggestions

(25 Jun 2020, 11:19 am)Andreos1 wrote Favourite had a service which ran through the Galleries. 
Vaguelly remember Busways having a TWPTE/Nexus contract for the 186 on a Sunday morning. Think that's been it.

I forgot about the Favourite service 33, low pittington-Galleries-metrocentre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Stagecoach North East: Service Suggestions
(24 Jun 2020, 1:48 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Have Stagecoach Ever Operated a Regular Service in Washington?
They are at the moment with a few trips on service 939?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(25 Jun 2020, 4:43 pm)tyresmoke wrote They are at the moment with a few trips on service 939?

Forgot all about that! Never used it, but seen it a few times.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
12 Extended to the Cobalt via High Street East-Archer Street-Coniston Road-Ridley Avenue-Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate-Silverlink-Cobalt Exchange-Cobalt
Kind Regards
Tez
30/X20 Suggestion: These services will be revised to operate as the 30/30A circular services.

30: This service will operate clockwise via Harton Nook, Cleadon, East Boldon, Boldon, Fellgate, Simonside, Tyne Dock.

30A: This service will operate anti-clockwise via Tyne Dock, Simonside, Fellgate, Boldon, East Boldon, Cleadon, Harton Nook.

Both of these services will operate hourly, although together will have a service depart Shields Interchange every 30 minutes.

Changes to the operation of service:
Services will be operated out of South Shields.
Driver changeovers will take place at Chichester.
Services will interwork with service 12 at South Shields on Mon - Sat daytimes.
Reallocation of Enviro 200s.
PVR of service 12/30/30A will be 4 (no increase or decrease)

Benefits:
Reintroduction of 2 buses per hour between Boldon and Fellgate to South Shields.
Delays to service reduced, by interworking with service 12.
Better connections with service X34 to Newcastle from Boldon.
No increase in vehicle's being used at any given time.
Better quality of vehicle's with Wi-Fi available, making the service more attractive to use.

Frequency:
Mon - Sat daytimes: (30 hourly, 30A hourly)
Mon - Sun evenings (30/30A current frequency)
Sunday (Current frequency)

Notes:
On Evenings and Sunday's these services will NOT interwork with service 12.

(20 Sep 2020, 6:40 pm)ifm001 wrote Wrong thread. But ta da

I’m sure the bus allocated to the 100 used to do the first 104 from Doxford Park

Stagecoach in Hartlepool

1/2 - Throston Drive, Marina, Town Centre, Foggy Furze, Seaton Carew, Port Clarence then

1 - Newport Road, Middlesbrough Bus Station (current route)
2- Portrack Lane, Stockton High Street (new extension)

Service to run combined every 15 minutes

During summer months:
2s - Seaton Carew, Tees Port Nature Reserve, Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Marsh House Avenue, Billingham Town Centre, Billingham Beck, Norton Road, Stockton High Street, Ropner Park, Preston Park

Every hour potentially open top bus
Was just thinking as Sunderland now operate the E1 E2 and E6 would it now be the time drop the E and just run these as 1 2 and 6. Stagecoach ditched economic colours years ago so it kind of makes sense
(29 Nov 2020, 12:54 am)Acky81 wrote Was just thinking as Sunderland now operate the E1 E2 and E6 would it now be the time drop the E and just run these as 1 2 and 6. Stagecoach ditched economic colours years ago so it kind of makes sense

Stagecoach still operate a 1 and a 2 in South Shields. Even though it only runs on a weekend morning, it could get confusing.
(29 Nov 2020, 12:54 am)Acky81 wrote Was just thinking as Sunderland now operate the E1 E2 and E6 would it now be the time drop the E and just run these as 1 2 and 6. Stagecoach ditched economic colours years ago so it kind of makes sense

In the past few months I’ve been thinking about dropping the prefix E , but came up with a few in the air suggestions , there might be some small juggling to do in shields:

Withdraw E1/E2 and replaced by existing service 7/8 , with service 7/8 no longer a circular service and extended from Marsden to Sunderland via the old E1/E2 route

E6 replaced by service 9

Either service 17 or 18 extended from there terminal point to Bolton Asda then extended to Downhill to Sunderland Central replacing service 4

Service 8 in Sunderland renumbered to service 21, so you have service 20/21 on Hylton Road.

Service 4 will continue to run from Doxford Park to Sunderland but extended to Seaburn via the old 18/19 route between Sunderland and Seaburn, as passengers at Roker area have to be crammed onto service E1 which is already full.

(29 Nov 2020, 9:18 am)Economic505 wrote The Economic service is historic. Granted , it’s previous numbering was 505/506 , before that 538/539, but I would keep it as it is.

I don’t think stagecoach are bothered about old companies which were bought or runned off the road which there inherited of Busways, only thing that is left of the economic name is the prefix E, the routes have also changed since the economic days, let’s just say stagecoach are not GNE

Why though. Everyone knows what the numbers are and there's no benefit of taking the E off even known it means nothing. Never see the point in renumbering things for the sake of it personally and Stagecoach don't tend to do it. Half of the Newcastle network have had the same numbers for decades. It's a shame other operators don't do the same.
I agree, Why renumber for the sake of it. In truth , I struggle to remember GnE routes nowadays, what with their constant tinkering. The route planners of GNE must be on speed! Many people in Sunderland know exactly what the ‘E’ services are, even if the route isn’t quite the same as the historical route.
There used to be a service E3 which ran between South Shields and Sunderland via Westoe, Horsley Hill, Marsden, Whitburn, Seaburn and Roker.  It was withdrawn about 18 years ago.  The reason for E6 is because it ran in competition with Catch A Bus service 6.  Both CAB 6 and E6 ran the exact same routes.
(29 Nov 2020, 10:42 am)BFK wrote There used to be a service E3 which ran between South Shields and Sunderland via Westoe, Horsley Hill, Marsden, Whitburn, Seaburn and Roker.  It was withdrawn about 18 years ago.  The reason for E6 is because it ran in competition with Catch A Bus service 6.  Both CAB 6 and E6 ran the exact same routes.

The E3 was originally introduced in competition for Tyne and Wear omnibus company X2 between South Shields and Sunderland

(29 Nov 2020, 9:59 am)Economic505 wrote I agree, Why renumber for the sake of it. In truth , I struggle to remember GnE routes nowadays, what with their constant tinkering. The route planners of GNE must be on speed! Many people in Sunderland know exactly what the ‘E’ services are, even if the route isn’t quite the same as the historical route.

Yeah agreed with GNE, there's absolute no logic to where things are either especially in Sunderland, the 2 and 39 being pretty much identical routes for most of it but two numbers with little history and they're miles apart for no reason. 35 and 55 between Sunderland and Houghton where the 55 comes from god knows as they're Sheriff Hill services. Then you have the odd numbers which make no sense being there, 6 to Stanley; 11 in N. Shields for example.
Site Administrator
(29 Nov 2020, 10:54 am)Storx wrote Yeah agreed with GNE, there's absolute no logic to where things are either especially in Sunderland, the 2 and 39 being pretty much identical routes for most of it but two numbers with little history and they're miles apart for no reason. 35 and 55 between Sunderland and Houghton where the 55 comes from god knows as they're Sheriff Hill services. Then you have the odd numbers which make no sense being there, 6 to Stanley; 11 in N. Shields for example.

I often think as enthusiasts we put way too much thought into route numbers of services and our judgement is blinded somewhat. Does it really matter which number a service has?

Why does bus route numbers need logic? - and link in to History? - its a bus number, I really don't think people care, as long as it turns up.... I literally couldn't give a toss, that my route is the 23 (Stagecoach) - as long as it turns up and I can get from A to B.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Nov 2020, 11:26 am)Dan wrote I often think as enthusiasts we put way too much thought into route numbers of services and our judgement is blinded somewhat. Does it really matter which number a service has?

Surely though from a passenger point of view some of the routes could be numbered better though.

2 and 39 for example, surely the 39 being the 3 would be better to show off the common section between both of them, it's not unrealistic for someone who doesn't know buses to be confused by those not going the same place.

Same with the 35 and 55 surely the 36 would be a better number for the 55 for it's common sections to say look both these buses go to Sunderland from Hetton or both these buses go to Hetton from Durham Road etc.

There's a few others with similar problems; 5 and 26 South Shields to Hospital and the Jarrow end, 13 and 16 Durham to Sacriston, 21 and 25 Low Fell etc.
(29 Nov 2020, 11:58 am)Storx wrote Surely though from a passenger point of view some of the routes could be numbered better though.

2 and 39 for example, surely the 39 being the 3 would be better to show off the common section between both of them, it's not unrealistic for someone who doesn't know buses to be confused by those not going the same place.

Same with the 35 and 55 surely the 36 would be a better number for the 55 for it's common sections to say look both these buses go to Sunderland from Hetton or both these buses go to Hetton from Durham Road etc.

There's a few others with similar problems; 5 and 26 South Shields to Hospital and the Jarrow end, 13 and 16 Durham to Sacriston, 21 and 25 Low Fell etc.

Well no then you would people moaning that they'll get mixed up with the Stagecoach service 3.......... Rolleyes
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Nov 2020, 12:03 pm)Michael wrote Well no then you would people moaning that they'll get mixed up with the Stagecoach service 3..........  Rolleyes

Well maybe not the 3 but that wasn't really the point. Name them the 2B and 2C even, the variation is so little between them, the 39 is just a short 2 pretty much extended to Doxford Park.
Site Administrator
(29 Nov 2020, 12:26 pm)Storx wrote Well maybe not the 3 but that wasn't really the point. Name them the 2B and 2C even, the variation is so little between them, the 39 is just a short 2 pretty much extended to Doxford Park.

streetdeckfan to reception...
(29 Nov 2020, 12:30 pm)Dan wrote streetdeckfan to reception...

Remember how confusing the 35/35A/35B/35C were Undecided Sad Cry
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.