You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Service changes - 31st October 2020

From Saturday 31 October, we’ll be increasing some services further and making changes to some others.

You can view all the new timetables in our timetables and maps section or by clicking the links below – simply select your service and change the calendar to your desired date.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/service-in...31-october
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
RE: Service changes - 31st October 2020
(13 Oct 2020, 11:39 am)Michael wrote From Saturday 31 October, we’ll be increasing some services further and making changes to some others.

You can view all the new timetables in our timetables and maps section or by clicking the links below – simply select your service and change the calendar to your desired date.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/service-in...31-october

Still no changes to the evening X21 though! Rather irritating that the last X21 still leaves Newcastle at 9pm,
Site Administrator
(13 Oct 2020, 4:06 pm)V514DFT wrote Basically confirmed the North Tyneside network as dead then

What?!
(13 Oct 2020, 3:58 pm)Michael wrote Noticed on the Q3 timetable, that its down as the "Quaycity" - not Quaylink.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/services/GNE/Q3

Edit: you have to change the date to after the changes for it to appear.
More repaints? or a change of vehicle type?

I'd better get the camera out and catch the green Quaylinks quick.....
(13 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm)busmanT wrote More repaints? or a change of vehicle type?

Probable's keep the Versa's, sure they've been upgraded to Euro 6?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm)busmanT wrote More repaints? or a change of vehicle type?

Possibly reallocation of LB and SB versas. Dan did say that 8303 was supposed to be withdrawn next year....so I'd imagine either allocation of 11 or 63 plate versas
The colours on the 56 are interesting. Hope that's a peek into the future as the colours reallly do work well together
(13 Oct 2020, 4:39 pm)Dan wrote What?!
Far from dead. Evening Coaster journeys increased previously. Cobalts running at similar frequency to what they ran during the evenings before Jan 2020 when 311 was introduced. And for the first time since 2009, a service after 10pm serving the full route to Blyth on the 309.
Ne14ne1
(13 Oct 2020, 3:58 pm)Michael wrote Noticed on the Q3 timetable, that its down as the "Quaycity" - not Quaylink.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/services/GNE/Q3

Edit: you have to change the date to after the changes for it to appear.

Although the font and colours look very smart and modern, I can’t believe they’d change the name of Quaylink. 

Anywho, have you noticed the Q1&2 don’t have the same style branded timetables? 

Also, new Crusader logo:
https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu-west...35641e.pdf
(13 Oct 2020, 4:06 pm)V514DFT wrote Basically confirmed the North Tyneside network as dead then

It's been dead for awhile imo unless you only travel during the day or live on the Coast Road / the 1 route. Arriva being much more attractive on the 306 / 308 for other parts since their more frequent and cheaper which some won't agree with on here but it's a fact.

(13 Oct 2020, 9:10 pm)Ambassador wrote Brave move to increase services, wonder if they’ll be tweaked back when we go to Tier 3 alert.

The other 2 operators brought back their evening services months ago I wouldn't call it brave tbh.

Also the Saltwell Park still has the green colours on the 54 timetable for those interested. The Quaycity brand looks nicer from what's shown though even known idm the Quaylink brand.

The timetables really need to change for Chester Le Street aswell since they always use the Red Lion as the bus stop name but it's Front Street and the pub it's named after has been shut for years now, there's quite a few places like that and for someone who's never used a bus it's quite confusing.
(13 Oct 2020, 9:37 pm)Storx wrote It's been dead for awhile imo unless you only travel during the day or live on the Coast Road / the 1 route. Arriva being much more attractive on the 306 / 308 for other parts since their more frequent and cheaper which some won't agree with on here but it's a fact.

It depends where you're travelling to though.

I live in Bishop where GNE only operate the X21, the rest of the services are operated by Arriva. Despite this, to me GNE is much more attractive because they offer more services north of Durham which is where I generally travel to. If I was just travelling locally I'd stick with Arriva.

I think the same can be said for GNE's offerings in North Tyneside, if you generally travel south of the tyne, GNE will probably be your best bet, but if you go north, then Arriva is probably better.

(13 Oct 2020, 9:37 pm)Storx wrote The timetables really need to change for Chester Le Street aswell since they always use the Red Lion as the bus stop name but it's Front Street and the pub it's named after has been shut for years now, there's quite a few places like that and for someone who's never used a bus it's quite confusing.

Especially for people like me who don't really drink. Unless it's a Spoons I probably don't know where it is!

I get that it's easier to use name of a 'landmark' rather than the proper stop name, but I'd prefer it if they just used the actual stop name, at least that way it's the same as the name in Google Maps!
I like the style of timetables they’re going for, some of them don’t include logos though which looks like a little oversight. I like the ones with maps too.
One for Dan to maybe raise, I noticed the 60 & 202 reference ‘Stavordale Road’ in Dawdon when it’s actually ‘Stavordale Street’.
(14 Oct 2020, 1:07 am)streetdeckfan wrote Not sure if it's been asked before but is the Metrocentre Circular gone for good? 
The stops at IKEA and in the car parks aren't on the map anymore so I guess it is.
Has the Coaster 1A / 1B extension to IKEA not replaced it in part?

(13 Oct 2020, 9:37 pm)Storx wrote It's been dead for awhile imo unless you only travel during the day or live on the Coast Road / the 1 route. Arriva being much more attractive on the 306 / 308 for other parts since their more frequent and cheaper which some won't agree with on here but it's a fact.
But with the CAZ due to come into force, Arriva are going to need new vehicles at somepoint and the only way they're going to afford that is by streamlining & downsizing. Not completely through and through cuts but of the 306 & 308 can offer (depending on vehicle size) the same amount of capacity on a 10 minute frequency combined between Billy Mill and Newcastle using 20% fewer vehicles (including extension of 51A to Marden / Whitley Bay replacing 306 and 359).

As mentioned in the future orders thread, Arriva are only running a 15 minute service on the unique section of the 308 for convenience.
(14 Oct 2020, 4:55 am)L469 YVK wrote Has the Coaster 1A / 1B extension to IKEA not replaced it in part?

The 1A/B only go as far as Metrocentre ASDA still a walk to get to IKEA
(13 Oct 2020, 9:44 pm)streetdeckfan wrote It depends where you're travelling to though.

I live in Bishop where GNE only operate the X21, the rest of the services are operated by Arriva. Despite this, to me GNE is much more attractive because they offer more services north of Durham which is where I generally travel to. If I was just travelling locally I'd stick with Arriva.

I think the same can be said for GNE's offerings in North Tyneside, if you generally travel south of the tyne, GNE will probably be your best bet, but if you go north, then Arriva is probably better.

Especially for people like me who don't really drink. Unless it's a Spoons I probably don't know where it is!

I get that it's easier to use name of a 'landmark' rather than the proper stop name, but I'd prefer it if they just used the actual stop name, at least that way it's the same as the name in Google Maps!

Can't imagine there's too many people travelling south of the Tyne though, the fact the 58 and 1 both aren't going over there anymore probably suggests that, remember they have the Metro aswell which will be quicker for most places even with a connection to it but I do get your point about the X21.

Understand the point in landmarks but it's a bit confusing in pubs in a place which has 10 - 15 pubs in a street and the one they've chosen has shut down. I understand it though in a little local village where the pub is the focal point.

(14 Oct 2020, 4:55 am)L469 YVK wrote But with the CAZ due to come into force, Arriva are going to need new vehicles at somepoint and the only way they're going to afford that is by streamlining & downsizing. Not completely through and through cuts but of the 306 & 308 can offer (depending on vehicle size) the same amount of capacity on a 10 minute frequency combined between Billy Mill and Newcastle using 20% fewer vehicles (including extension of 51A to Marden / Whitley Bay replacing 306 and 359).

As mentioned in the future orders thread, Arriva are only running a 15 minute service on the unique section of the 308 for convenience.

There's a lot of claims here, why would Arriva only be able to afford new buses by downsizing the route, without evidence or fact it's just bold claims from no-where. The fact it's been able to do it since the 1980's and beyond without any issue I don't see how all of a sudden it still can't do it and it's always been one of Arriva's core routes in Northumbria and always will be. It also doesn't need new buses as they've had Euro 6 mods as part of the North Tyneside Green Fund.

The only evidence of any issues along the Coast Road was someone from GNE saying that's there's too many buses from their view. You have to remember however that the GNE have other services which are a bigger problem than Arriva's, the 22X in particular which will take anyone from the West side of Newcastle to Cobalt as it's cheaper and quicker so you've lost a large flow towards Cobalt from Newcastle. Not to mention the 22 and 1 taking passengers away from other areas all wanting to travel to Cobalt but they're more of an issue for the 40, 41 and 19 as much as the 309.

Either way we've had this discussion before and neither of have information on the profit of the 306/308 so we don't have the facts to really say how frequent it needs to be but you can't make claims without evidence in the sense that it can only survive by being downsized.
Site Administrator
(14 Oct 2020, 7:02 am)Storx wrote The only evidence of any issues along the Coast Road was someone from GNE saying that's there's too many buses from their view. You have to remember however that the GNE have other services which are a bigger problem than Arriva's, the 22X in particular which will take anyone from the West side of Newcastle to Cobalt as it's cheaper and quicker so you've lost a large flow towards Cobalt from Newcastle. Not to mention the 22 and 1 taking passengers away from other areas all wanting to travel to Cobalt but they're more of an issue for the 40, 41 and 19 as much as the 309.

Either way we've had this discussion before and neither of have information on the profit of the 306/308 so we don't have the facts to really say how frequent it needs to be but you can't make claims without evidence in the sense that it can only survive by being downsized.

Pre-COVID, you could stand on the Coast Road corridor and observe empty buses all through the day.

The fact of the matter is that during (and post) COVID, this situation will be a lot worse, so you'd be mad not to expect some sort of reduction in the level of service on this corridor. If a bus is empty, how is it sustainable to run? One doesn't need access to passenger data to be able to say anecdotally that a lot of the buses on this corridor are empty.
(13 Oct 2020, 9:44 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Especially for people like me who don't really drink. Unless it's a Spoons I probably don't know where it is!

Yep, like I've said before why 'High Level Bridge North' instead of 'St Nicholas Street' or even 'St Nicholas' Cathedral/Castle Keep'.
(14 Oct 2020, 8:07 am)Dan wrote Pre-COVID, you could stand on the Coast Road corridor and observe empty buses all through the day.

The fact of the matter is that during (and post) COVID, this situation will be a lot worse, so you'd be mad not to expect some sort of reduction in the level of service on this corridor. If a bus is empty, how is it sustainable to run? One doesn't need access to passenger data to be able to say anecdotally that a lot of the buses on this corridor are empty.

It's still a very bold claim to categorically say that the buses will only get investment if they cut the frequency. No-one knows the data for services, even known they possibly could be making a small loss during the day (could be balanced a bit out from small hopper journeys from Blyth to South Beach or Whitley to Lynn Road etc), the frequency is very needed at peak times.

For Arriva they could just think it's easier to run the whole thing at every 15 minutes all day rather than doing 15 at peaks, 20 in between not to mention they have the schools runs which hit right in the middle then drivers doing nothing inbetween (there's nothing for them to drop off to Blyth).

I don't want to make assumptions though but it's you can't categorically say something without the data that they have. I don't live under a rock to say that it would never be cut but it's definitely not a certain as the person I replied to claimed.
busmanT
(14 Oct 2020, 8:07 am)Dan wrote Pre-COVID, you could stand on the Coast Road corridor and observe empty buses all through the day.

Having stood on Sandyford Road for an hour one afternoon last week, the 51/51A/306/308/309/310/311 are hardly carrying any passengers in or out of Newcastle at what should be their busiest time - interestingly, Arriva were almost always in front of Go North East, although the 308 & 306 turned up together heading into Newcastle at one point.
What is interesting is the like of the 10/21/56 have 3 colour timetables. Other services only have 2 colour. Does this suggest new intercity, non express routes will have 3 colour base livery? Like Xlines but without the gold?
(14 Oct 2020, 1:18 pm)JP6004 wrote What is interesting is the like of the 10/21/56 have 3 colour timetables. Other services only have 2 colour. Does this suggest new intercity, non express routes will have 3 colour base livery? Like Xlines but without the gold?

Hopefully, otherwise they'll look just as crap as the Cobalt and Crusader
(14 Oct 2020, 2:09 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Hopefully, otherwise they'll look just as crap as the Cobalt and Crusader
#bringbackthetorch
(14 Oct 2020, 10:05 am)Storx wrote It's still a very bold claim to categorically say that the buses will only get investment if they cut the frequency. No-one knows the data for services, even known they possibly could be making a small loss during the day (could be balanced a bit out from small hopper journeys from Blyth to South Beach or Whitley to Lynn Road etc), the frequency is very needed at peak times.

For Arriva they could just think it's easier to run the whole thing at every 15 minutes all day rather than doing 15 at peaks, 20 in between not to mention they have the schools runs which hit right in the middle then drivers doing nothing inbetween (there's nothing for them to drop off to Blyth).

I don't want to make assumptions though but it's you can't categorically say something without the data that they have. I don't live under a rock to say that it would never be cut but it's definitely not a certain as the person I replied to claimed.
As it stands, GoNe as of Jan 2020 has reduce the Coast Road & 57 PVR count combined by 16%. If they dropped the 309 & 310 to every 30 minutes with the 311 running every 15 minutes, that would reduce the PVR by a further 11% which I doubt they would do for a negligible saving.

Arriva on the other hand if they reduced the 306 & 308 to every 20 minutes would reduce the headcount of full size vehicles (single or double deck) by nearly 28%. With the 51/51A (minibuses) also taken into account and an extension of the 51A to Marden & Whitley Bay, that saving would still almost be 20%.

GoNE are in the stronger position and if Arriva reduced frequency, they'd likely have to pull the X6 unless other misc workings could be pulled in to cover it. I tried timetabling a reduced 306/308 with the X6 and it's almost impossible. Most of the connections onto the X6 are covered by GoNE too.
(14 Oct 2020, 1:18 pm)JP6004 wrote What is interesting is the like of the 10/21/56 have 3 colour timetables. Other services only have 2 colour. Does this suggest new intercity, non express routes will have 3 colour base livery? Like Xlines but without the gold?

(14 Oct 2020, 2:09 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Hopefully, otherwise they'll look just as crap as the Cobalt and Crusader

Hopefully not as that would mean the Xlines livery wouldn't stand out against the rest.