You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions v2
(30 Dec 2021, 8:07 pm)Storx wrote Personally if we're being serious about bus companies actually working together I'd rather see something like.

306 - Every 20 minutes, additionally serving Verne Road and not serving Selby Gardens, direct along the A1058 avoiding Benfield Road to speed up journeys.
308 - Every 20 minutes, same quicker journey on the Coast Road
309 - Every 20 minutes, current route
310 - Every 20 minutes, same route as 309 to Cobalt then current route.
50 - Every 30 minutes, old 305 - https://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/...th1997.jpg
51/51A - Every 30 minutes, current route.

11 - Every 30 minutes, via Rose Hill extended to Battle Hill to replace the other half of the 41.

Nice clean 10 minutes service to Battle Hill and 10 minute service direct along the Coast Road which is quicker for further to reach places and because of the timing differences should merge roughly together to be every 10 minutes between Rake Lane and Blyth with no-one being punished going around the world. I'd love to see the numbers changed aswell. 46 - 49 possibly but obviously there's a conflict with the 47 or alternatively 6 - 9 but then there's conflicts with the X8 and 9.

Then the 50/51 ran with mini buses can pick up all the little estates instead of punishing the core routes.
Your 50 could be the 40
41/41A=stays the same
42/42A=stays the same
11 could become the 43
19 could be the 44 but not part of the Little Coasters
Then the coast road services could stay the same with the '3' prefix to identify them as the coast road services,dont know what you'd do with the 51/51A,maybe revert it back to the 307
Kind Regards
Tez
(30 Dec 2021, 10:29 pm)V514DFT wrote Your 50 could be the 40
41/41A=stays the same
42/42A=stays the same
11 could become the 43
19 could be the 44 but not part of the Little Coasters
Then the coast road services could stay the same with the '3' prefix to identify them as the coast road services,dont know what you'd do with the 51/51A,maybe revert it back to the 307

Not a big fan of the 40's being down there personally. The 40's are and always have been the Gosforth services so it would just confuse people especially having two 43's and 44's quite close. Assuming we're working together.

I'd be tempted something like though:
19 - 19
11 - 17
51 - 16
50(41/41A) - 15
42/42A - 14

The numbers are all unused North of the Tyne and the 11 was always the 317(17). There's the Stagecoach 18 if you're wondering why I skipped that. Leaves the 13 free if you wanted something extra.
A basic one from me but Springboard are showing whilst out of town malls and some city shopping centre visits are on downward trend, retail parks are on the up.

Divert the 28A to call at Retail World before and after it’s call at Sainsburys to restore links to Birtley, Kibblesworth, South Saltwell Rd and Ouston lost from the 809 withdrawal.

Divert the X22 if it ever returns via Retail World tho that’s a harder sell than the 28A
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Just looking at the route of the 12/12A again. I definitely think a 12B could be viable, serving Winlaton to Newcastle via Benwell and West Road, possibly even Fenham/Slatyford/Cowgate. Even infrequently this could offer a new direct link from West Newcastle to Blaydon/Winlaton. An interesting option. Definitely worth trying. The 792 could be promoted to explore this option. Maybe reroute the 84/84A and create this new service.
(31 Dec 2021, 12:06 am)Ambassador wrote A basic one from me but Springboard are showing whilst out of town malls and some city shopping centre visits are on downward trend, retail parks are on the up. 

Divert the 28A to call at Retail World before and after it’s call at Sainsburys to restore links to Birtley, Kibblesworth, South Saltwell Rd and Ouston lost from the 809 withdrawal.

Divert the X22 if it ever returns via Retail World tho that’s a harder sell than the 28A
*I just want to clarify that I've not hacked Ambassador to push my retail park agenda.*

Along with eye witness accounts, GNE twitter reports, anecdotal evidence, my insistent posts and official statistics - Retail Parks (such as the Arnison Centre, Retail World etc) are on the up.
People are going there in increasing numbers. But bus operators seem slow on catching on to this change - despite the repeated social media posts about the buses they do send in to the retail parks, being stuck in traffic... Huh
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(31 Dec 2021, 12:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote *I just want to clarify that I've not hacked Ambassador to push my retail park agenda.*

Along with eye witness accounts, GNE twitter reports, anecdotal evidence, my insistent posts and official statistics - Retail Parks (such as the Arnison Centre, Retail World etc) are on the up.
People are going there in increasing numbers. But bus operators seem slow on catching on to this change - despite the repeated social media posts about the buses they do send in to the retail parks, being stuck in traffic... Huh
Haha, it's true. Retail Parks are evolving from places where you just take the car to places you spend a few hours as a destination, especially TV with the restaurants amd nearish watering holes plus FunShack etc etc.

The looming major works around the area will no doubt cause chaos with the 93/94 (which rarely runs to any sort of vague schedule anyway) and deter any expansio
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Could the Stagecoach 12 and GNE 12/12A be merged to create a new 12/12A running Winlaton - Blaydon - Elswick - Fenham - Newcastle - Byker - Walker - Wallsend? Operating every 30 minutes to Walker and once per hour to Wallsend.
I wouldn't say Retail Parks are "on the up". Plenty of empty units still at the one near me, but they offer free parking.

I'd argue that some visitors to such retail parks are making trips they cannot make by bus for logistical reasons. A 50 inch TV, a rooms worth of carpet or everybodies Swedish furniture don't lend themselves to be carried on a bus comfortably. Maybe the Interdecks could be used on the 93/94 to combat this barrier to travel.....
(31 Dec 2021, 2:23 pm)DeltaMan wrote I wouldn't say Retail Parks are "on the up". Plenty of empty units still at the one near me, but they offer free parking.

I'd argue that some visitors to such retail parks are making trips they cannot make by bus for logistical reasons. A 50 inch TV, a rooms worth of carpet or everybodies Swedish furniture don't lend themselves to be carried on a bus comfortably. Maybe the Interdecks could be used on the 93/94 to combat this barrier to travel.....
Those branches of Currys and Ikea at Retail World, the Arnison Centre and the like must be on the up if they're selling a boatload of Billy Bookcases and 50" TV's!

Can see a huge flaw in the Interdecks on tbe 93/94 idea. Not everyone lives on the 93/94 route, so will have to lug their Billy Bookcase from the TVTE branch of IKEA on to a 21, X31 or X1 once they reach Gateshead. Then again when they hit Birtley, Wrekenton or Stanley for the next bus on their trip.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(31 Dec 2021, 3:14 pm)Andreos1 wrote Those branches of Currys and Ikea at Retail World, the Arnison Centre and the like must be on the up if they're selling a boatload of Billy Bookcases and 50" TV's!

Can see a huge flaw in the Interdecks on tbe 93/94 idea. Not everyone lives on the 93/94 route, so will have to lug their Billy Bookcase from the TVTE branch of IKEA on to a 21, X31 or X1 once they reach Gateshead. Then again when they hit Birtley, Wrekenton or Stanley for the next bus on their trip.
When ever I have been on the 93/94 they have realy been dead, albeit it once around 16-17:00 at Heworth with the traffic and the bus was a bit busy, nothing major. 

And imo Team Valley is the weakest Retail Park in the City Centres of Newcastle/Sunderland area. It just isn't what it used to be.
Site Administrator
(31 Dec 2021, 5:50 pm)Bus3888 wrote When ever I have been on the 93/94 they have realy been dead, albeit it once around 16-17:00 at Heworth with the traffic and the bus was a bit busy, nothing major. 

And imo Team Valley is the weakest Retail Park in the City Centres of Newcastle/Sunderland area. It just isn't what it used to be.

I once picked up a packet of bacon from a shop on the Team Valley Retail World in the City of Sunderland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(31 Dec 2021, 6:01 pm)Dan wrote I once picked up a packet of bacon from a shop on the Team Valley Retail World in the City of Sunderland.

Is that the Retail World that's adjacent to Jacky White's Market? You can get some top quality bacon in there.
Site Administrator
(31 Dec 2021, 6:21 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Is that the Retail World that's adjacent to Jacky White's Market? You can get some top quality bacon in there.

It is. Kyle the Butcher sells top quality bacon - it’s next door to the 50” Samsung TV shop.

Highly recommended, and just a stones throw away from Retail World.

(31 Dec 2021, 6:26 pm)Dan wrote It is. Kyle the Butcher sells top quality bacon - it’s next door to the 50” Samsung TV shop.

Highly recommended, and just a stones throw away from Retail World.

Excellent. I might pay a visit to Kyle the Butcher's shop to pick up a bacon sandwich the next time I visit theTeam Valley Retail World in the middle of Sunderland.

Do Lothian of Derwentside serve the area or should I use the new, Voyager Bus Group to travel there?
Site Administrator
(31 Dec 2021, 6:29 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Excellent. I might pay a visit to Kyle the Butcher's shop to pick up a bacon sandwich the next time I visit theTeam Valley Retail World in the middle of Sunderland.

Do Lothian of Derwentside serve the area or should I use the new, Voyager Bus Group to travel there?

Be warned that sometimes you throw the bacon away if it passes its use by date, and it makes a comeback before the next time you intended to purchase bacon from Kyle’s seven days later.

You should use the Go North East East Sunderland Loop 39 and 49 to get to Team Valley Retail World in the City of Sunderland.

My well-informed barber also tells me that there is a Team Valley Retail World in Newcastle, and it’s the 38 and 88 buses that go there. He is a reliable source.

(31 Dec 2021, 6:34 pm)Dan wrote Be warned that sometimes you throw the bacon away if it passes its use by date, and it makes a comeback before the next time you intended to purchase bacon from Kyle’s seven days later.

You should use the Go North East East Sunderland Loop 39 and 49 to get to Team Valley Retail World in the City of Sunderland.

My well-informed barber also tells me that there is a Team Valley Retail World in Newcastle, and it’s the 38 and 88 buses that go there. He is a reliable source.

Here in Pyongyang, there was also a butcher's shop named Kyle's. Regrettably it was closed during one of the regimes purges against all things bacon. Rumour has it, the shop is operating on the black market, underground under a new name purporting to serve anything aside from bacon.
Is the 12/12A an option to get to Denton Burn/Fenham if the 684 gets withdrawn? With the 12/12A serving Elswick I am surprised it doesn't run through Benwell. A new 12/12A service merging the GNE 12/12A with the Stagecoach 12s would be interesting, creating new East to West links operating between Winlaton and Wallsend. Maybe even run to Metrocentre or Throckley.
So as we aren't quite officially in the world of BSIP yet, here is a suggestion timetable I've been working on for Cobalt & Coast services 309/310/311/X39.

Please note that this is NOT an official Go North East document. Attached is a summary of the suggested changes and a timetable. I will get around to uploading the running boards and some other information when I get the opportunity.

Suggestion timetable: 
.pdf CobaltandCoast309310311_SuggestionMT_20211231.pdf

Summary of suggested changes: 
.pdf CobaltandCoast309310311_SuggestionChanges_20211231.pdf
(01 Jan 2022, 1:20 am)Economic505 wrote Can I simplify the changes. Tell GNE to pick up a 1985 T&W timetable and take it from there.
The intention wasn't to come up with a new route, but to refine the existing timetable including adding a small number or earlier / later journeys as well as refining the evening journeys to Hadrian Park. Not only that but also adjusting the evening ex Newcastle 309 journeys to provide a more convenient service from Cobalt towards Blyth (xx:28 rather than xx:43) as well as exploiting busier nights by running in front of the 308.
(01 Jan 2022, 10:53 am)L469 YVK wrote The intention wasn't to come up with a new route, but to refine the existing timetable including adding a small number or earlier / later journeys as well as refining the evening journeys to Hadrian Park. Not only that but also adjusting the evening ex Newcastle 309 journeys to provide a more convenient service from Cobalt towards Blyth (xx:28 rather than xx:43) as well as exploiting busier nights by running in front of the 308.

Isn't this a suggestion that you've pitched like a million times before?
(01 Jan 2022, 1:26 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Isn't this a suggestion that you've pitched like a million times before?
Off the cuff but not as part of a proper suggestion timetable. The suggestion timetable also includes a change of interworking pattern meaning the 311 will carry more passengers towards Newcastle, running infront of the 310.

The xx:05 evening departures would clean up passengers especially on Friday & Saturday evenings and I doubt Arriva would move the 308 to between xx:00 and xx:04 especially on an hourly service.

The 11.35pm 310 ex Newcastle would also cleanup some of the passengers who'd normally get the 11.42pm 306.
(01 Jan 2022, 2:17 pm)L469 YVK wrote Off the cuff but not as part of a proper suggestion timetable. The suggestion timetable also includes a change of interworking pattern meaning the 311 will carry more passengers towards Newcastle, running infront of the 310.

The xx:05 evening departures would clean up passengers especially on Friday & Saturday evenings and I doubt Arriva would move the 308 to between xx:00 and xx:04 especially on an hourly service.

The 11.35pm 310 ex Newcastle would also cleanup some of the passengers who'd normally get the 11.42pm 306.

I don't know whether you've been in a coma for the past few months but times are changing and it's not about petty competitions and working together.

What benefit is there for a customer having a bus to North Shields at XX:35 then XX:42 then nothing for 53 minutes.

If someone needs a bus at 10:50 for whatever reason they're not going to be waiting around until xx.35 even knowing people going to North Shields would be using the Metro anyway but that's another discussion since it's twice as quick and every 15 minutes.
(01 Jan 2022, 3:17 pm)Storx wrote I don't know whether you've been in a coma for the past few months but times are changing and it's not about petty competitions and working together.

What benefit is there for a customer having a bus to North Shields at XX:35 then XX:42 then nothing for 53 minutes.

If someone needs a bus at 10:50 for whatever reason they're not going to be waiting around until xx.35 even knowing people going to North Shields would be using the Metro anyway but that's another discussion since it's twice as quick and every 15 minutes.
If you checked the suggestion timetable, the xx:35 departure is the last 310 at 11.35pm, only going as far as the Verne Road Junction (Stannington Road).

All other full evening 310's ex Newcastle Mon-Sat would depart at xx:25. Sunday evenings, not much different to now at xx:38 (currently xx:40).
(01 Jan 2022, 3:35 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Would a double decker be allowed over Fatfield Bridge?

Yes, as the height limit is 16ft. The Park View scholars bus uses it.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
With the evening and Sunday X85 withdrawn from 30th January, I think I will be using the 12/12A. Perhaps a 12B could run on evenings/Sundays from Scotswood Road to West Road via Denton Road and into Newcastle. Unfortunate evenings/Sundays having different services rather than just reduced frequency. Still, I'm fortunate to have access to the 12/12A in the absence of the 684.
(02 Jan 2022, 4:22 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Did the original X23 (Leamside Terminator) See many passengers.
Thinking about an idea for a service that goes Durham, Gilesgate Moor, Belmont, Carrville, then via A1 to Ayton, Lambton, Washington Galleries, Metrocentre & Newcastle.

I can't remember the Leamside Terminator appearing anywhere in the Terminator franchise. What model was it? T800, T1000, T5000 etc.

I think I would genuinely love to see a fight between the Leamside Terminator and the West Rainton Predator. Perhaps someone could produce that movie someday...