You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022

RE: Nexus Tenders - September 2021
(26 Jan 2022, 11:43 pm)AnonPM1 wrote So for those who wish to know what changes are being offered.

19 - Will predominately operate between Cramlington and North Shields every hour, with one morning and one afternoon service to/from Ashington. It will go via Brierdene way and seghill. And also every hour from Northumberland Park to North Shields just like it is now but will go via the Fish Quay upon departure from the ferry. Last departures will be around half eight in the evening.

342 - Will operate between Wallsend, Kingston park(replacing the 42a) and Westerhope.

317 - replacement for the 41 and 11 it seems as it will operate from Wallsend via holy cross, howdon and then the 11 route to Whitley Bay with a stop at the ferry landing as well

18 -  whole service Monday - Sunday is being tendered not just evenings/sundays as it was now.

theres a few others as well, list of all services being tendered are 1 (a few evening departures), 317, 342, 41a(few evenings deps), w2, 18, w1, 553, 19, 335, 643, 75/76, 32, m6, 552, 35, 84 and 84a

Thanks for sharing, they sound sensible. 

Do you know if the 11 will operate via Coniston Road and Ridley Avenue, or via Churchill Street and Tynemouth Road after Holy Cross? Bit concerned that Coniston Road will be left without a bus service.

Also, the M6 sounds interesting - any ideas on that one?

(27 Jan 2022, 3:21 am)Train8261 wrote Interested about the 342 service & 317. The 19 one I'm quite shocked about cutting Cramlington to Ashington link
18 is quite a shock as I'm wondering who will take that as the 18 is quite a vital service during the day

The A Line ones I ain't sure about nor Phoenix for the 342. A Line for the 643 would see a bus in use all day. It would fit in with there school&worker contracts 
Id like to see the 19 ran by Arriva

Not that surprising really as the 57 covers that section.
Seen someone has leaked them, also to note the 33/33A is missing aswell as the W3, K1, K2, 333, 359, 13, M71 so can assume they're all withdrawn / replaced (rumoured Q3 for the former).

The 19 replacing the Northern section of the 359. It does the X7 route between Seghill and top end of Delaval, assuming it's a future proof route for the B&T railway if it comes. It's also nice to see it connects with the Metro 7 minutes before it's due to depart / arrives in both directions compared to the current situation where the Metro pulls in and the Bus pulls out.
The 335 is dropped to hourly via Murton replacing the other section.
The W1 is replacing the section of W3 over the bridge.
The 335 is also extended to Killingworth replacing the K1/K2.
The 342 is replacing the M71.
The 76 is the 13.
The 75 is to 'keep links between Throckley and West Denton' so seems the 71 is gone.

Also whoever asked the M6 is just the current 6 not sure why the renumber.
(27 Jan 2022, 10:38 am)Storx wrote Seen someone has leaked them, also to note the 33/33A is missing aswell as the W3, K1, K2, 333, 359, 13, M71 so can assume they're all withdrawn / replaced (rumoured Q3 for the former).

The 19 replacing the Northern section of the 359. It does the X7 route between Seghill and top end of Delaval, assuming it's a future proof route for the B&T railway if it comes. It's also nice to see it connects with the Metro 7 minutes before it's due to depart / arrives in both directions compared to the current situation where the Metro pulls in and the Bus pulls out.
The 335 is dropped to hourly via Murton replacing the other section.
The W1 is replacing the section of W3 over the bridge.
The 335 is also extended to Killingworth replacing the K1/K2.
The 342 is replacing the M71.
The 76 is the 13.
The 75 is to 'keep links between Throckley and West Denton' so seems the 71 is gone.

Also whoever asked the M6 is just the current 6 not sure why the renumber.

33/33A must be replaced by the 35?

71 is just renumbered to 75?
13 is just renumbered to 76?
6 is just renumbered to M6?
342 reduces the frequency of the M71, could Phoenix run this as they currently operate the M71?

Interested what is happening with the Q3. 18 replacing it Walker/Wallsend, operated by GNE, is the Great Park end staying and is the numbering remaining unchanged?
(27 Jan 2022, 11:42 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote 33/33A must be replaced by the 35?

342 reduces the frequency of the M71, could Phoenix run this as they currently operate the M71?

Interested what is happening with the Q3. 18 replacing it Walker/Wallsend, operated by GNE, is the Great Park end staying and is the numbering remaining unchanged?

33 being replaced in Jesmond by Q3, which is being cut to St Peters. Hollywood Avenue I would think an extension of the 553.
(27 Jan 2022, 11:45 am)pbjd wrote 33 being replaced in Jesmond by Q3, which is being cut to St Peters. Hollywood Avenue I would think an extension of the 553.

Surprised the Q3 is getting pulled from Walker/Wallsend. Wasn't expecting the 33/33A to be withdrawn either. No GNE in Fawdon anymore then, just the Stagecoach 35? These are significant changes.
(27 Jan 2022, 11:54 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Surprised the Q3 is getting pulled from Walker/Wallsend. Wasn't expecting the 33/33A to be withdrawn either. No GNE in Fawdon anymore then, just the Stagecoach 35? These are significant changes.

It's a shame they couldn't have a least tried to operate every 30 minutes to Walker/Wallsend.

While there is some duplication with Stagecoach, it provides some unique links to Quayside, Jesmond (if it stayed), Gosforth etc. from Walker and Wallsend. It also provides a direct link from some areas of Walker which don't have a service to Wallsend/Newcastle like Westbourne Avenue and the western end of Walker Road.
(27 Jan 2022, 11:42 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote 33/33A must be replaced by the 35?

(27 Jan 2022, 11:45 am)pbjd wrote 33 being replaced in Jesmond by Q3, which is being cut to St Peters. Hollywood Avenue I would think an extension of the 553.

There's no tender out for the Hollywood Avenue bit so it's either been bid by someone else as part of an existing route or it's getting dropped altogether (which I doubt).
(27 Jan 2022, 2:14 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote I think I would award the following :

1 - A-Line
18 - Go North East
19 - Arriva
32 - Go North East
35 - Go North East
41A - Go North East
75/76 - Stagecoach
84/84A - A-Line
317 - Go North East or Arriva
335 - Gateshead Central Taxis or Arriva
342 - Phoenix Coaches
552 - Arriva
553 - Arriva
643 - A-Line
M6 - Go North East
W1 - Arriva

Based on what? I don't know how you can decide what you'd award to who, when you haven't seen what price any of them have bid at.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(27 Jan 2022, 7:37 pm)Adrian wrote Based on what? I don't know how you can decide what you'd award to who, when you haven't seen what price any of them have bid at.

Well based on cost the whole lot would be awarded to Gateshead Central Taxis. My  awards would be about fairer distribution of contracts and links for onaward  travel.
(27 Jan 2022, 8:05 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Well based on cost the whole lot would be awarded to Gateshead Central Taxis. My  awards would be about fairer distribution of contracts and links for onaward  travel.

It's a tender process though. Not names out of the hat. 

I do somewhat agree about links for onward travel, and indeed things like ticket acceptance, but it all depends on what weighting Nexus are using. I think it was quoted 95% price 5% quality previously, but that may have changed to 100% price in the last lot...
Site Administrator
RE: Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022
Moderator note:

Thread split from September 2021 Nexus tenders thread, given that this discussion is regarding March 2022 tenders.

Inkeeping with paragraph 1.8 in the contract document - the contents of the tenders have been marked as 'private and confidential' and it is stated that the details of the tender document are communicated on an 'in confidence basis to those who have legitimate need to know'.

To protect this website, the forum and its members, I have removed specific details of which services are being tendered. Generic posts which do not include specific details of the services being tendered, or refer to details in the public domain, may continue to be discussed.
If there were a hypothetical service which has been suggested in the past, such as a hypothetical service which combines elements of a current service between Westerhope and Kingston Park, and a service with operates beyond Kingston Park towards the East End of Newcastle via places on the western boundary of North Tyneside, would that be permissible as a topic of discussion?

Such a service has been hypothesised at the bottom of this post here: https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=1831&pid=269778#pid269778
(28 Jan 2022, 8:22 am)MurdnunoC wrote If there were a hypothetical service which has been suggested in the past, such as a hypothetical service which combines elements of a current service between Westerhope and Kingston Park, and a service with operates beyond Kingston Park towards the East End of Newcastle via places on the western boundary of North Tyneside, would that be permissible as a topic of discussion?

Such a service has been hypothesised at the bottom of this post here: https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...p?tid=1831&pid=269778#pid269778
Never mind that, I'd argue that we are all people 'who have legitimate need to know' about these changes.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
I hope Phoenix get something as they are losing the M71. Surprised Tesco Car Park will still be covered by the replacement service.

Are the Northumberland contracts being awarded with effect from March too? Just wondered if the 74, 131 and 808 are safe.
Is the 10/11 between Jarrow & North Shields nexus contracted since the 319 was withdrawn

Is that up for tender or is the 10/11 route South Shields to North Shields there's now
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...EpAoRMUyFs

An email seen by ChronicleLive reveals the first routes Go North East could axe in March, with warnings of more to follow over the coming months

Go North East is proposing the following cuts in Newcastle and North Tyneside from March 27:

Little Coaster 11, 19 and 42/42A withdrawn;

33/33A withdrawn;

QuayCity Q3 to operate between Great Park and St Peter's only, and diverted via Osborne Road to replace service 33/33A.

Evening journeys on Coaster 1 withdrawn;

Evening journeys on Cobalt and Coast 311 withdrawn, with service 310 operating via Hadrian Park during evenings;

Little Coaster 41/41A revised to operate between Hadrian Park and Wallsend only, additionally serving Wiltshire Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(29 Jan 2022, 9:18 am)cbma06 wrote https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...EpAoRMUyFs

An email seen by ChronicleLive reveals the first routes Go North East could axe in March, with warnings of more to follow over the coming months

Go North East is proposing the following cuts in Newcastle and North Tyneside from March 27:

Little Coaster 11, 19 and 42/42A withdrawn;

33/33A withdrawn;

QuayCity Q3 to operate between Great Park and St Peter's only, and diverted via Osborne Road to replace service 33/33A.

Evening journeys on Coaster 1 withdrawn;

Evening journeys on Cobalt and Coast 311 withdrawn, with service 310 operating via Hadrian Park during evenings;

Little Coaster 41/41A revised to operate between Hadrian Park and Wallsend only, additionally serving Wiltshire Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are bigger cuts than I thought they were going to be.... if true!

Surprised the full 1 evening journey's are going, thought they would of cut the frequency.

If its massive cuts like this, then people will just move to cars.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Jan 2022, 11:02 am)Michael wrote Those are bigger cuts than I thought they were going to be.... if true!

Surprised the full 1 evening journey's are going, thought they would of cut the frequency.

If its massive cuts like this, then people will just move to cars.

The evening 1 journeys are being tendered by Nexus.
(29 Jan 2022, 11:25 am)Thomas12 wrote The evening 1 journeys are being tendered by Nexus.

Ah right!

So it might not be as bad as people think, just the papers trying to cause panic!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Jan 2022, 11:28 am)Michael wrote Ah right!

So it might not be as bad as people think, just the papers trying to cause panic!

I don't think so, from what I've seen on this forum most areas will still have a bus service provided by Nexus. Another poster had leaked the contract details on this forum, but Dan said we were not allowed to talk about the specific details so I'll respect that.
So only seeing the Chronicle article and NOT the actual tenders, I'd suggest the following for the North Shields & Whitley Bay section of the 1.

- Evening 310 extended to Tynemouth, covers Tynemouth Road past Knotts Flats and reduces need for long layover in North Shields.

- Evening 306 extended via number 1 route from Tynemouth Park Hotel to Whitley Bay. Covers the 1 route between Tynemouth & Whitley Bay and reduces long layover in Tynemouth.
If you email about the changes that were put out early December (I think) wi have received this email back

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to participate in Nexus’ consultation regarding the future proposals for a number of our publicly funded bus services.

The feedback received has been very valuable in helping to formulate ideas and considerations for the future network.

Since the consultation was undertaken, we have been notified of a number of changes proposed by bus operators who provide services on a commercial basis.

Nexus is now investigating options to respond to the changes that have been proposed by bus operators.

Thank you again for your participation in the consultation

Commercial Team- Nexus
Im sure i posted this using my phone but when i've some on her this morning its not there? I'd assume i must not have pressed post reply??

On the Facebook group where i used to live they have said its been decided that the 41 and 41a 42 and 42a and 44 and 45 are all been cancelled. Their are also some stagecoach services being effected to. Although I assume this is only the the nexus secured section of these routes that's being effected but that not how some of those on Facebook see it. Isn't doing any bus companies or Nexus any good though!
(11 Feb 2022, 11:29 am)Rob44 wrote Im sure i posted this using my phone but when i've some on her this morning its not there? I'd assume i must not have pressed post reply??

On the Facebook group where i used to live they have said its been decided that the 41 and 41a 42 and 42a and 44 and 45 are all been cancelled.  Their are also some stagecoach services being effected to.  Although I assume this is only the the nexus secured section of these routes that's being effected but that not how some of those on Facebook see it. Isn't doing any bus companies or Nexus any good though!

Is that the alleged 41, 41a, 42a, 44 and 45?  Wink

It'll be interesting to see what the alleged transport authority do, with an alleged tender process and some alleged contracts.
(11 Feb 2022, 12:24 pm)Adrian wrote Is that the alleged 41, 41a, 42a, 44 and 45?  Wink

It'll be interesting to see what the alleged transport authority do, with an alleged tender process and some alleged contracts.

Nope not the way i read it.... although someone else has stated it was a political motivated ?? Blood social media
(11 Feb 2022, 11:29 am)Rob44 wrote Im sure i posted this using my phone but when i've some on her this morning its not there? I'd assume i must not have pressed post reply??

On the Facebook group where i used to live they have said its been decided that the 41 and 41a 42 and 42a and 44 and 45 are all been cancelled.  Their are also some stagecoach services being effected to.  Although I assume this is only the the nexus secured section of these routes that's being effected but that not how some of those on Facebook see it. Isn't doing any bus companies or Nexus any good though!

Unless something has changed, there's nothing planned for the 44/45 as far as I'm aware, very surprised if that's true bar the few early morning boards possibly. The 46/52 would go first imo if they were getting arid of services.
i think i ready the it was the first Saturday journey of the day from Dinnington to Newcastle via hazlerigg that was a secured service that was going to be cancelled, but reading the post on facebook it suggests its the whole service....