Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2013 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2013

RE: Go North East
@fozzovmurton I hadn't seen a lime doing the 65 before. Plenty of times a Waggonway has done it or recently the Lambton Worm has been on. Quite often it is possible to see them heading to the start point after 8 on a morning.

@gtomlinson I don't bother reading it when it snows, but knew it would be similar today as in the questions being asked. Quite a few comments, people having temper tantrums and one or bus drivers joining in too when I looked earlier.
tom.robinson206
Unregistered
'Blaydon Racers' (49/49A/49B/49C), 'Northern' (38, 238), 'Toon Link' (11/11A, 31, 32, 47) and 'Pulse' (67, 69) now have the new timetables. I'm guessing this is going to happen to all of them at some point...
Regular
(13 Mar 2013, 7:29 pm)citaro5284 wrote
(13 Mar 2013, 9:34 am)gtomlinson wrote It's times' like this when the GNE Facebook becomes' a gold mine of entertainment.

Strike is off

thank god the strike is off to be honest it would be very unrealiable for me if the strike was on
It will be interesting to learn who caved in first. It has been suggested that this is merely a delaying tactic to stretch talks out even further. Although the drivers have received some grief over the last few days; there has been a surprising show of solidarity amongst the people who can actually compose a decent sentence on the Facebook page. Any further disruption wont bode well for GNE management if this measure is temporary and the strike threat resumes.
Strike action is suspended as oppised to called off so can still happen at some point if agreement isn't reached
I read on the Facebook page that the Drivers only get between £180 and £260 a week, which some drivers is under £1000 per month or literally just over.

Which result in a GNE Bus Driver earning between £8,640 and £12,480 per year.

When I first looked at it for the month, I thought that's quite a bit for a month for a Bus Driver until you work out there yearly earning, and then logic sets in and you are stunned by how little they earn per year, and then if you they have bills to pay, kids if they have any to cater for, would actually leave them with not much money left depending on cost of bills etc.

The drivers have been offered 4.5% which in money terms is an extra £1000 per year which means drivers would between just under £10,000 and just over £13,000. But I personally if I was a Bus Driver GNE I would be pushing it over the 10%, no higher than 15%, which I think is very reasonable considering the offer of 4.5% already on the table. Take the 15% for example that would result in a top end Driver getting up to just under £16,000 year which isn't bad because atleast then the drivers have had a decent yearly pay rise.

Here is an example of how disgraceful that 4.5% is.

A month ago I applied for an apprenticeship with HMRC and I was going to be paid a monthly some of £1,600 pounds with bonuses on top of that, the position was for Business Admin. which would have resulted if I was successful in getting £19,600 per year with bonuses on top of that. which for an apprenticeship is way above the average.

Now if you were to do a normal standard Business Admin Apprenticeship and you'd applied through Connexions you get between £75 and £180 per week. which between £300 and £640 per month. Yearly that would be between £3,600 and £7,680 per year.

When you look at like that your jaw will drop and you'll think yeah Bus Drivers should definitely get more than 4.5% wage rise per year based on those figures I've just displayed, quite shocking if i'm honest, maybe I should send this to GNE and they'll realise how badly there drivers are being paid currently.

"Apologies if I waffled on a bit, merely giving my point of view on the comments made on the GNE Facebook Page"
On GNE website under the timetables. it looks like the X7 will be branded Wear Tees Express, new timetable of X7 with branded bus on and in purple livery, new East Durham bus timetable formats online aswell.

Regular
(14 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm)Rob wrote
(14 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm)cbma06 wrote On GNE website under the timetables. it looks like the X7 will be branded Wear Tees Express, new timetable of X7 with branded bus on and in purple livery, new East Durham bus timetable formats online aswell.
Now you know the X7 will be branded using the Renown's recently released from Crusader duties. As with most new routes, the water needs to be tested. This will prevail a 6 month trail with passenger numbers reflecting what will happen in future. As you already know, all Euro 2 vehicles (these Renown's included) will be gone before 2015. Assuming the route is successful; which market research suggests; newer vehicles are guaranteed before the 2015 deadline.

Re: new vehicles
Overall you may be disappointed.

i've deffo got a good feeling they may use w reg VolvoB10LE Wright Renown previously used on Crusader duties the Wear Tees Express brand in my opinion is a clear rip off style of Tyne Tees Express brand only differences is logo and vehicles Tyne Tees Express uses double deckers 6 (12 Reg) 1 (06 Reg) plus the Northern reserve (06 Reg) where as Wear Tees Express 4 (W Reg) 4906/4907/4908/4909 or 4842/4843/4845/4846 (R reg) i would order some volvo single deckers for M1 when that gets new vehicles
I think the Wear Tee's XPRESS is a good name for the X7, the brand does suit the Renown's.

Shame it wont be better buses though, hopefully this a sucessfull service.

Went to pick new timetables up today for the X7 etc at park lane and still nothing.. anyone know when they will be in the travel centre?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(14 Mar 2013, 5:03 pm)Michael wrote I think the Wear Tee's XPRESS is a good name for the X7, the brand does suit the Renown's.

Shame it wont be better buses though, hopefully this a sucessfull service.

Went to pick new timetables up today for the X7 etc at park lane and still nothing.. anyone know when they will be in the travel centre?

I'm not sure but I could check as of tomorrow every day should I miss my 2A on an evening! Smile
I'll give it a few more days though, given that they've all just been updated into the new format over the past few days - with some more still to do.

Just for those who haven't been online to check out the "Wear Tees Xpress" branding, I've attached it as a screenshot from the timetable (and rotated accordingly too) for your convenience.
Link doesn't work yet mind!

[attachment=4385]
They obviously aren't too convinced by it, even though they want to make it a success.
How many new routes have little publicity, buses from another route or depot and very little marketing - and have worked?
Compare that to new routes, with new branding and new/refurbished vehicles and endless marketing and think how successful they have been?
Sunderland/Boro aren't major profitable areas for GNE.

They aren't the profitable 'marquis' areas like Gateshead or Newcastle, even Durham.

They'll test things but your never going to get the best
Site Administrator
Easter Services 2013
Date: 13 Mar 2013

Good Friday
Sunday service, X22 X66 & X88 operate additional journeys.
Services N20 & N21 will run as normal (early Saturday morning) but wont operate early Friday morning.

Easter Saturday
Normal Saturday service

Easter Sunday
Normal Sunday service, except X43 & X88 will not operate and X66 will operate a 30 minute frequency.

Easter Monday
Sunday service, X22 X66 & X88 operate additional journeys. Night buses will not operate (early Monday morning).

Source: www.simplygo.com
Easter "Special timetables" document - click here
Site Administrator
24th March - Routes in Sunderland City Centre
Due to road works on Borough Road, Fawcett Street and John Street, bus services in Sunderland City Centre will be severely affected and will not observe normal bus stops all day on Sunday, 24 March. Services will not use Holmeside, Athenaeum Street, Fawcett Street, John Street, Green Terrace or Vine Place. Buses will be diverted via The Londonderry (High Street West) and will use temporary stops opposite and adjacent to the Empire Theatre.

Source: www.nexus.org.uk
Site Administrator
Some vehicles have acquired a large "100 years" translucent sticker on the middle window on the left hand (door) side.
This is likely to be a gradual process no doubt, and will expand to further vehicles in time.

I spotted it on a "Drifter" branded Versa this morning. Not sure of any other vehicles that have it yet, but I'm sure there will be some - just gone unnoticed because it's not something that's particularly eye grabbing!
(14 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote They obviously aren't too convinced by it, even though they want to make it a success.
How many new routes have little publicity, buses from another route or depot and very little marketing - and have worked?
Compare that to new routes, with new branding and new/refurbished vehicles and endless marketing and think how successful they have been?

Actually, they were pushing it in Middlesbrough yesterday at the BuS Users event. Plus, given the X9/X10 B9s had a low-key launch on Teesside with 6043 being posed on Stockton High Street on Market Day and outside BHS the following day, I would expect a similar thing for the X7 in the next week.

(15 Mar 2013, 11:57 am)Daniel wrote Some vehicles have acquired a large "100 years" translucent sticker on the middle window on the left hand (door) side.
This is likely to be a gradual process no doubt, and will expand to further vehicles in time.

I spotted it on a "Drifter" branded Versa this morning. Not sure of any other vehicles that have it yet, but I'm sure there will be some - just gone unnoticed because it's not something that's particularly eye grabbing!

The 'Crusader' Citaros had it yesterday.
Site Administrator
I think it's great that it's a logo being universally used.
It's on all of the new timetables too. Just means that - even if there aren't any changes in 2014 - they'll have to replace all timetables again!
(15 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm)Kuyoyo wrote
(14 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote They obviously aren't too convinced by it, even though they want to make it a success.

Actually, they were pushing it in Middlesbrough yesterday at the BuS Users event. Plus, given the X9/X10 B9s had a low-key launch on Teesside with 6043 being posed on Stockton High Street on Market Day and outside BHS the following day, I would expect a similar thing for the X7 in the next week.

(15 Mar 2013, 11:57 am)Daniel wrote Some vehicles have acquired a large "100 years" translucent sticker on the middle window on the left hand (door) side.

The 'Crusader' Citaros had it yesterday.

That's my point. It was a bus users event. Not a GNE event, with the press there taking photos and the endless publicity, dedicated tweets, mentions on Facebook or on their website - that the X9/10 and Quaylink had. Not even anything like the X35 had with an African band at Park Lane. The 21 had green angels promoting a new bus and I lost count the amount of times I saw the 10 mentioned recently.
Where was the flash mob? The one that appeared when the key was launched?

If GNE are that sure about it, a lot more time, energy and effort would have been made.
How many other express services have been launched over the last few years, to be withdrawn after the standard 'experimental service' line was mentioned on the withdrawal notice? No mention of experimental when any of theSunderland/Newcastle or Newcastle/Murton, Heworth/Peterlee or North Tyneside and Northumberland/Metrocentre expresses we're introduced. Just a low key launch, with spare buses being used...

Going back to when the B9s were launched, there was nothing like the publicity or marketing there is now.
Site Administrator
Just as a note to what I previously said...
I observed for a good 15 minutes today in Park Lane the vehicles that had the 100 years sticker on the middle window on one side of the vehicle.
All of them, is my answer.
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
(15 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm)Daniel wrote Just as a note to what I previously said...
I observed for a good 15 minutes today in Park Lane the vehicles that had the 100 years sticker on the middle window on one side of the vehicle.
All of them, is my answer.

I don't actually think I'd have noticed if I hadn't seen your heads up here! Tongue

Got on the 36 this evening and the driver was putting a copy of the North Sunderland consultation leaflet into everyone's hands as they boarded. Not sure if all drivers on the affected routes have been asked by management to do this or whether this was just one happy chappy! Everyone on the bus then read their consultation attentively. I think something has gone wrong with the door-to-door leaflet drops last Thursday. I live right on two of the routes and have had nothing and someone else I know in Hylton Castle hasn't heard anything either. I'm pleased I was thrusted another leaflet today because I had completely forgot to fill in the one I picked up last week - time's running out!

Second class free-post stamp so if you want your views heard try and make sure you get them in the post well in advance! Big Grin
Regular
(15 Mar 2013, 5:37 pm)Michael wrote Stand Changes...

http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-bus-ser...terchange/

http://www.simplygo.com/news/peterlee-bu...n-changes/

wonder what services X7 will share once it begins i thought gateshead were bad when the orbit got new vehicles in 2011 every 2 mins there was a bus there like coaster and loop in the same stand

anyways a Tyne Tees Express made an appearance on Fab Fifty Seven Service today http://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/856...hotostream (Bazza90 Bus Photos)
Site Administrator
A talk by Kevin Carr, Director of Go North East, will be held at a meeting at Brunswick Methodist Church, Brunswick Place (off Northumberland Street), Newcastle. This is due to take place Tuesday 19 March at 19:00.
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
Go North East have suffered in the Sunderland area in recent years though. The Sunderland - Pennywell 126 service was marketed as a Simply Turn Up and Go! service running up to every 7/8 minutes. In July 2006 the service was reduced to a 15 minute frequency, and then again to a 20 minute frequency due to large-scale housing demolitions in the Doxford Park and Pennywell areas. The demolitions in the Pennywell area were only located on the route of the 126. The houses lining the Stagecoach 20 route were all retained and the 20 continues to do well today every 10 minutes.

It was mentioned in a Competition Commission report that Go North East were particularly hard-hit when Redby significantly expanded their commercial operations in 2007.

I'm encouraged by the expansion of services in this area such as the new X7 starting a week on Monday. I think giving the X7 a variant of the already successful Tyne-Tees Xpress branding shows GNE's commitment to wanting to make this service work. But I can see their reluctance to put better buses on the X7 than the B10BLE's. Tying up four ex-Red Arrows Citaros away for the X3 was seemingly not enough to get people on board. Tying up six brand-new Versas for the 36 hasn't seemed to have worked either.

What are peoples thoughts on the timetable style of the SimpliCity 42?

http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/30302.22

While I was re-newing my bus pass today, there was a woman brandishing a copy of the 42 timetable at the clerk losing her loaf because she couldn't understand the format. I think the format is a nice idea - but it takes up a lot more room in the leaflet than the conventional timetable would. The 36 used to have this style too, but reverted to "normal-style" with the November 2012 changes, so perhaps this format is being discontinued.
(16 Mar 2013, 7:29 am)Daniel wrote A talk by Kevin Carr, Director of Go North East, will be held at a meeting at Brunswick Methodist Church, Brunswick Place (off Northumberland Street), Newcastle. This is due to take place Tuesday 19 March at 19:00.
Who is running this meeting?
GNE have suffered in Sunderland... Pennywell and Doxford park but also Castletown.. the new houses are flying up thier, hopefully the houses will encourge people to get on the bus in all area's

It doesnt help when the 39 is only MPD, it needs bigger buses.

Im expecting changes to happen in June, by which i hope we will find out more about the 80 buses GNE have ordered.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(17 Mar 2013, 10:28 am)Michael wrote It doesnt help when the 39 is only MPD, it needs bigger buses.

Im expecting changes to happen in June, by which i hope we will find out more about the 80 buses GNE have ordered.

The fact that the 39 serves what... 4 schools along its route?
On mornings I know it's hell - I get whichever bus (16/2A/2C/8/78 etc) comes first, but sometimes the 39 is the one that does come first and it's always far too packed. On afternoons when everyone gets out at the same time, I could only imagine it gets worse.

More and more recently lately, the 39 has seen usage of "Northern" vehicles. Perhaps GNE are coming to terms with the fact it needs a vehicle with a larger seating capacity!

If there were to be some changes, I'd expect that the service would get some larger vehicles and also it would gain a higher frequency (15 mins as opposed to 20?) - only time will tell, as always!