You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Fare Changes July 2022
Go North East fares are changing/increasing (delete as appropriate) from 24th July.

Too many to list but a snapshot is:

Most adult single and returns to increase by 20p

Day tickets to increase 20 - 30p

£1.20 under 19 single becomes £1.30 (X10 is £2.30)

Discounts available for purchases made on the app.

£2 evening fare to remain capped.
RE: Fare Changes July 2022
(05 Jul 2022, 9:34 am)morritt89 wrote Go North East fares are changing/increasing (delete as appropriate) from 24th July.

What about Under 25 weekly tickets?

Also the new fares pricing must be working great
Must admit I do question who really runs GNE at times.

Hello there Sir, we're cutting your bus service and as an added bonus were also increasing the price for the privilege at the same time. Have a good day.

Wrong timing and it's the second price increase this year already.
Second fare increase in 6 months, utter joke. Whos running GNE, no one competent!

I meaning losing 1.1 million would do something, but I guess exploiting the gaps!

#betterthanever
Absolutely pathetic. There doing anything to save there asses now. There not making a good name for themselves lately

First the changes then Chester Le Street depot closed. There not doing themselves any favour or winning back customer
Am I correct in saying a one zone £5.30 ticket has not increased since 2019? Only change is the zone expansions. Not bad if this the case
Fare Changes July 2022
Maybe it’s something to do with the cost of living going up, diesel more than doubled, somebody have to pay for it , cost of living is effecting all sectors , or does some think the cost of living doesn’t hit the transport sector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(05 Jul 2022, 10:57 am)cbma06 wrote Maybe it’s something to do with the cost of living going up, diesel more than doubled, somebody have to pay for it , cost of living is effecting all sectors , or does some think the cost of living doesn’t hit the transport sector?

It'd be a fair argument if they weren't doing what's technically shrinkification at the same time. 

Timings just off.

Its like reducing a 6 pack of crisps to a 5 pack and increasing the price by 20p at the same time. You'd get away with one, both at the same time is a double whammy and people if they had a choice would likely choose something else.
Fare Changes July 2022
(05 Jul 2022, 11:11 am)Storx wrote It'd be a fair argument if they weren't doing what's technically shrinkification at the same time. 

Timings just off.

Its like reducing a 6 pack of crisps to a 5 pack and increasing the price by 20p at the same time. You'd get away with one, both at the same time is a double whammy and people if they had a choice would likely choose something else.

Maybe it’s not just the increase of fares, decreasing services can be a factor aswell to reduce overheads, there no point running bus services which run along the lines of other services, example of service 55, GNE is a business just like other businesses out there trying to make money, and if there’s only little money coming in then reducing services, costs up and workforce will come into play, In July when fares and services changes happen, this will be a first of many changes that will happen, even though I don’t like what GNE are doing with cutting back and prices up, sadly this is a day of age that will happen to all businesses

(05 Jul 2022, 10:57 am)cbma06 wrote Maybe it’s something to do with the cost of living going up, diesel more than doubled, somebody have to pay for it , cost of living is effecting all sectors , or does some think the cost of living doesn’t hit the transport sector?

They're paying less for their diesel compared to years gone by, due to the advanced purchase/fuel hedging though.
They told us that on their shareholder statement.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
I was reading on everyones favourite retired bus MDs blog about potential Government plans to cap fares at £2. Possibly coincidence, but I'm sure the level of current fares will have some say in how the reimbursement formula will work?
(05 Jul 2022, 9:34 am)morritt89 wrote Go North East fares are changing/increasing (delete as appropriate) from 24th July.

Those who are eligible would be daft not to use the Nexus CAT day ticket offer.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(05 Jul 2022, 10:12 am)Unber43 wrote Second fare increase in 6 months, utter joke. Whos running GNE, no one competent!

I meaning losing 1.1 million would do something, but I guess exploiting the gaps!

#betterthanever

Second fare increase in six months, but still (a lot!!) cheaper than what the fares were two years ago, in the majority of cases...

(05 Jul 2022, 11:44 am)Andreos1 wrote Those who are eligible would be daft not to use the Nexus CAT day ticket offer.

Agreed, but I think there's a fair number of kids who don't apply for an Under 16 pass from Nexus to be eligible for these fares.

I think a lot of Under 16s can and do make good use of the Nexus CAT day ticket offer, but that's Tyne & Wear only and doesn't cover those aged 16 - 19. The nature of Go North East's network means that a fair number of customers will be travelling outside of Tyne & Wear, so there'll be a fair few kids who aren't eligible.

Arriva's network is similar, but I think their fares are typically half that of an adult single ticket (which are considerably more expensive than Go North East's adult single fares), unless you have a Teen Card (which you also have to pay for).

(05 Jul 2022, 11:11 am)Storx wrote It'd be a fair argument if they weren't doing what's technically shrinkification at the same time. 

Timings just off.

Ironically this is the exact situation I see in most supermarkets at the moment.

I'm paying more, for even less of a product. Difference is that the supermarkets don't inform their customers, the price is just what you pay.
(05 Jul 2022, 11:36 am)Chris 1 wrote I was reading on everyones favourite retired bus MDs blog about potential Government plans to cap fares at £2.  Possibly coincidence, but I'm sure the level of current fares will have some say in how the reimbursement formula will work?

He genuinely needs to shut up sometimes as he will end up doing more harm than good!

Timings just off.

With all the services and journeys that the local authorities have bought back (mostly it seems from GNE) there isn’t much “shrinkification” in the end - let’s see what the timetables show when they appear.
Arnt " nexus fares different to the GNE ones too? Im sure i read somewhere that the most you pay for a singl,e is 2.50 on nexus services?
(05 Jul 2022, 1:08 pm)busmanT wrote With all the services and journeys that the local authorities have bought back (mostly it seems from GNE) there isn’t much “shrinkification” in the end - let’s see what the timetables show when they appear.

I’m not too sure that’s correct really. In East Durham: 

• 55 Withdrawn - links to Sunderland from South Hetton reduced to 1ph on increased journey time, Doxford link removed also. 
  • 62 Withdrawn - No link to Seaham from South Hetton and Easington (or Horden) + evening journeys Peterlee to Dalton Park not replaced, Princess Road left with no service. 
  • 65 heavily cut back - Sunday service going two hourly, evening journeys scrapped. 
  • 61 reduced - daytime to half hourly, instead of every 20 mins / Sunday buses now hourly 
  • 60 small reduction - evening timetable on a Sunday is hourly + night buses withdraw. 

I’m sure others could do similar for other areas. Although I get the point the cuts perhaps aren’t as drastic as they might have been (and things such as the 60 night buses were a recent development) but there’s still some pretty impactful cut backs.
(05 Jul 2022, 3:40 pm)Drifter60 wrote I’m not too sure that’s correct really. In East Durham: 

• 55 Withdrawn - links to Sunderland from South Hetton reduced to 1ph on increased journey time, Doxford link removed also. 
  • 62 Withdrawn - No link to Seaham from South Hetton and Easington (or Horden) + evening journeys Peterlee to Dalton Park not replaced, Princess Road left with no service. 
  • 65 heavily cut back - Sunday service going two hourly, evening journeys scrapped. 
  • 61 reduced - daytime to half hourly, instead of every 20 mins / Sunday buses now hourly 
  • 60 small reduction - evening timetable on a Sunday is hourly + night buses withdraw. 

I’m sure others could do similar for other areas. Although I get the point the cuts perhaps aren’t as drastic as they might have been (and things such as the 60 night buses were a recent development) but there’s still some pretty impactful cut backs.
That is the main issue, 61 should have been kept every 20 mins with 1 bus per hour named 61A or 60A, however at the Mill INN turn left onto Station Road, Seaham, Dawdon,Parkside, Princess Road, Graham Way, then the current 61 route to dalton park then 62 route

65 is always busy on a sunday from both Durham and Seaham bad move, and the 65 evening Journeys imo the last two from both directions should have been withdrawn but no other ones. 

55 Should have been kept Hourly, and the current timetable till 9am, and after 2pm till 6pm. (use the current 62/X6 drivers as I am pretty sure they get paid less)
You know what is even worse about them announcing a fare increase today is the fact that it's down to "Cost of running services" which was the same reason they gave during the consultation for services to be withdrawn, Go North East have been supported by Nexus with funding provided to help keep these services operating, so why is this money not being used towards operating costs such as fuel for example, why is it once again that the customers they screaming for to comeback to using the bus post-pandemic are the ones that are being penalised for a second time in 6 months whilst I appreciate there has been reductions in fares in recent years i'd say your only saving if you use the Go North East App, if your paying onboard the bus are the fares any cheaper pre-pandemic to post pandemic, i'd be interested to see some price comparisons.

Furthermore they announced yesterday that any "New Drivers" they take on will receive £750 welcome bonus as an incentive to help aid ongoing "Driver Shortages", this is split into two payments, one of £250 on the drivers first week in service without supervision following training followed by a £500 payment a week before Christmas. https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/bus-driver

Where is this money coming from when they've made a financial loss and again state they cannot afford to operate services?
(05 Jul 2022, 5:33 pm)Malarkey wrote You know what is even worse about them announcing a fare increase today is the fact that it's down to "Cost of running services" which was the same reason they gave during the consultation for services to be withdrawn, Go North East have been supported by Nexus with funding provided to help keep these services operating, so why is this money not being used towards operating costs such as fuel for example, why is it once again that the customers they screaming for to comeback to using the bus post-pandemic are the ones that are being penalised for a second time in 6 months whilst I appreciate there has been reductions in fares in recent years i'd say your only saving if you use the Go North East App, if your paying onboard the bus are the fares any cheaper pre-pandemic to post pandemic, i'd be interested to see some price comparisons.

Furthermore they announced yesterday that any "New Drivers" they take on will receive £750 welcome  bonus as an incentive to help aid ongoing "Driver Shortages", this is split into two payments, one of £250 on the drivers first week in service without supervision following training followed by a £500 payment a week before Christmas. https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/bus-driver

Where is this money coming from when they've made a financial loss and again state they cannot afford to operate services?
I wonder how many drivers will move to GNE for this, aswell as how many GNE drivers will leave and then come back. 

If I was a driver who spent 5-20 years, did everything for the company worked my arse off and then "newbies" are getting this 750£ during a cost of living crisis I would be pissed
(05 Jul 2022, 12:03 pm)Dan wrote Arriva's network is similar, but I think their fares are typically half that of an adult single ticket (which are considerably more expensive than Go North East's adult single fares), unless you have a Teen Card (which you also have to pay for).

Ironically this is the exact situation I see in most supermarkets at the moment.

I'm paying more, for even less of a product. Difference is that the supermarkets don't inform their customers, the price is just what you pay.

In terms of the ANE vs GNE fare comparison, I wonder if the (in my experience, almost always) higher fares charged on ANE services is a better strategy for the rural nature of much of their network (and therefore, for large parts of GNEs).

As much as I believe in cheaper bus travel, without significant government funding that isn't going to happen, and so arguably the approach of ANE is the right one. For what it's worth, I also think that for the most part ANE fares are reasonable. 

In terms of the supermarket comparison, I'd strongly disagree. Supermarkets might not inform you over Twitter, but there's a label when you go to pick up the product and a door you can walk out if you don't like it. On the bus, especially for folk who might not follow GNE Twitter, there's no option but to pay or not travel. In the supermarket there also tends to be choice - if Heinz have whacked up a tin of beans to £2, you can always get the Tesco brand, that's not possible on most bus routes.
(05 Jul 2022, 5:36 pm)Unber43 wrote I wonder how many drivers will move to GNE for this, aswell as how many GNE drivers will leave and then come back. 

If I was a driver who spent 5-20 years, did everything for the company worked my arse off and then "newbies" are getting this 750£ during a cost of living crisis I would be pissed

A number of operators up and down the country are offering a similar incentive, and though nice timing for Christmas I actually think £750 is a bit on the light side compared to some numbers I've seen quoted elsewhere.

There'll be small print - I can't imagine GNE paying it to drivers who leave and then come back.

In terms of how many are attracted to the carrot, how long does it take to get to the top rate these days?  You could be looking at a £2+ an hour pay cut going from top rate at SCNE to bottom rate at GNE for example.  Though I did also notice GNE are quoting a £10.50 starting rate now.
(05 Jul 2022, 5:36 pm)Unber43 wrote I wonder how many drivers will move to GNE for this, aswell as how many GNE drivers will leave and then come back. 

From a post in the "Chester Depot Closing" thread Dan mentioned that all drivers would be getting travel allowance plus other bonuses/benefits in the coming months. again where is all this money coming from to cover these costs.

I also forgot to mentioned the Go-Ahead Group have also written off £3m of debt for Go North East in the last few months, not for the first time either this has been done from my understanding.
(05 Jul 2022, 6:30 pm)Malarkey wrote From a post in the "Chester Depot Closing" thread Dan mentioned that all drivers would be getting travel allowance plus other bonuses/benefits in the coming months. again where is all this money coming from to cover these costs.

I also forgot to mentioned the Go-Ahead Group have also written off £3m of debt for Go North East in the last few months, not for the first time either this has been done from my understanding.
What about Drivers at other depots aswell? Surely they'll feel left out
(05 Jul 2022, 6:24 pm)Chris 1 wrote There'll be small print - I can't imagine GNE paying it to drivers who leave and then come back.

It seems to me that's exactly who it's aimed at, the people who left to drive HGVs, as unless I've misread previous posts, it's only for people who already have the license to drive a bus.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
(05 Jul 2022, 6:34 pm)Unber43 wrote What about Drivers at other depots aswell? Surely they'll feel left out

Can you explain how the other drivers at depots are feeling left out.  Other depots are not closing and the other 1300+ drivers are unaffected, so why would they get extra.
(05 Jul 2022, 6:34 pm)Unber43 wrote What about Drivers at other depots aswell? Surely they'll feel left out

I read it as all staff across all depots would be getting it as all will be impacted by the forthcoming changes with rota changes etc.
(05 Jul 2022, 6:37 pm)Malarkey wrote I read it as all staff across all depots would be getting it as all will be impacted by the forthcoming changes with rota changes etc.

Dont be daft.....why would a driver at Riverside or Percy Main get extra money just because their rotas are changing - rota changes happen multiple times of the year!
(05 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm)citaro5284 wrote Dont be daft.....why would a driver at Riverside or Percy Main get extra money just because their rotas are changing - rota changes happen multiple times of the year!
Im pretty sure Riverside drivers wouldn't mind a bounus/travel expenses to move to Washington or Riverside Depot. 

Or Deptford drivers moving to Washington!
(05 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm)Unber43 wrote Im pretty sure Riverside drivers wouldn't mind a bounus/travel expenses to move to Washington or Riverside Depot. 

Or Deptford drivers moving to Washington!

Why would Riverside drivers move to Washington?